• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowes : Kerosene Heaters and Accesories Are Now 50% Off

These heaters went on clearance as of today and are not related to the electric and gas heaters that went on clearance a few weeks back. Cheers!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Does this include the Kerosene fuel??

be careful with these... if you don't adjust them properly, expect a nice thick layer of black soot throughout your house. And you can't just wipe them down. they're basically oily carbon buildup

henny said: Does this include the Kerosene fuel??

At $4 a gallon, we can only pray

I'm paying $3.259/gal.

What about the portable propane heater?

jskim9 said: be careful with these... if you don't adjust them properly, expect a nice thick layer of black soot throughout your house. And you can't just wipe them down. they're basically oily carbon buildup
That happens when you don't take proper care of the wick.

Care of the Wick is Critical
Some insurance companies have reported an increase in claims for smoke damaged furniture, clothing, and other household goods caused by improper care of kerosene heater wicks. Portable kerosene heaters have either a wick made of fiber glass or cotton. The most
important things to remember about the wick are:
Fiber glass and cotton wicks are not interchangeable.
Replace your wick only with the exact type recommended by the manufacturer.
Fiber glass wicks are maintained by a process known as “clean burning.”
To “clean burn,” take the heater to a well ventilated place outside of the living area, turn the heater on and allow it to run completely out of fuel. After the heater cools, brush any remaining carbon deposits from the wick. Following “clean burning,” the fiber glass wick should feel soft.

A cotton wick is maintained in top operating condition by careful even trimming. Remove
uneven or brittle ends carefully with a pair of scissors.

henny said: Does this include the Kerosene fuel??

I've never been compelled to reply to any of these threads until now...what a stupid reply!

Why's that a stupid reply? In the past jugs of Kerosene have been discounted towards the end of the heating season. Why is this year any different?

I was also curious if it included the kerosene fuel so I did a price check on the 5 gallon can by having a store employee check the price. The employee told me the fuel is actually from the paint department and does not normally get discounted. Stupid replys to me are requests for receipt scans, requests for pre-sale prices, requests for someone to purchase the item and then sell it to them, requests for detailed specifications on products, requests for store item numbers or sku numbers, basically requests for the original poster to go beyond what is reasonable in order to hold the hand of a dolt that is too ignorant to locate a bargain when it is handed to him on a silver platter right under his nose so close that he can feel the heat from it and smell it. Unfortunately fatwallet has its share of trolls and dimwits which makes sharing bargains with others on this site more of a hassle than a pleasure.

jweb said: henny said: Does this include the Kerosene fuel??

I've never been compelled to reply to any of these threads until now...what a stupid reply!

I recommend buying a kerosene heater for emergencies. No electricity needed, and kerosene stores well/noncombustible. The round heaters heat very efficiently, the square ones do not heat very well. And you can heat water and food on the top. Fuel is expensive right now, but it's a good security blanket to have 5-10 gallons of kerosene on hand in case the electric goes out for a time.

You need a well ventilated area. When you turn the heater off, it will smell like kerosene for a short while, you get used to it. We've had ours for 17 years and only had to change the wick. The unit does get hot, so keep children away.

jweb said: henny said: Does this include the Kerosene fuel??
I've always been compelled to reply to any of these threads... what a stupid reply to a reply

After seeing the kerosene heaters had been discounted, I stopped into a store in Olympia, WA last night. Although the propane heaters were not marked, one of the sales associates did scan one of the propanes for me. Low and behold, it was on sale for 50% off. Grabbed a 75,000 to 125,000 adjustable along with one of those little buddy heaters that uses the small green propane bottles. Both were 50% off the price shown on the shelves.

I picked up one of the propane heaters and I'm thinking of leaving it in my car incase I ever got stuck somewhere so I'd at least be able to keep warm. Only $35 .

These heaters are essential backup for an oil heated home. The round ones we have are efficient and easy to use/maintain.

My oil delivery guy ($40/Hr plus hazmat driver) uses kero for his main home heating.

Allows us to keep the main area (kitchen/den) much warmer than the rest of our too large house. We curtain-off the other sections of the house to "zone" the armer area.

With heating oil, much (if not most) of the heat goes up the chimney --- but with kero, all of the heat stays within the heated space less the small loss from the cracked door for venting air.

One caution -- be sure to get white water-clear kero. Some places peddle the (red) dyed stuff which in our area has always led to a smelly/sooty heater.

Also, add a half-teaspoon (or so) of alcohol (95% or better -- not the 70% rubbing alcohol) to a 5-gallon can of kero to avoid water-in-fuel hassles and wick problems. Some also add old vanilla extract or peppermint oil to eliminate the small odor (as others have said -- we get used to it fast and it clears out of the house within an hour or two when the windows or door open). No need to spend the $5-$8 on the "kero additive" bottles.

At 50% off -- the round ones are a great deal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014