• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
FIXED LINK

Very good low light camera that takes either SD or xD.

Specifications / Features:

* 8.3 megapixel 6th Generation SuperCCD HR sensor (1/1.6 inch)
* 3x Optical Zoom Fujifilm Zoom Lens (1:2.8-5.1 f8-24mm / 36 - 108mm equiv.)
* 6.9x Digital Zoom
* Store images on xD or SD memory cards
* 2.5 inch LCD - 230,000 pixels - Anti-glare CV film
* Movie mode: Records 640 x 480 at 30fps with sound
* ISO: 100/200/400/800/1600 / up to ISO 2000 on Anti-Blur/Natural Light mode
* High-Definition Real Photo Processor II
* Intelligent Flash
* 300 shot battery life
* 25mb built in memory
* 6-7cm macro mode
* IR Communication

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It's kind of interesting that with all of Fuji's fangled giant sensor and fancy features, Canon still shines with IS. I ... (more)

sygyzy (Jul. 01, 2008 @ 1:35p) |

IS does not beat pure old fashioned solid high ISO performance. While it's true that OIS let's you leave the shutter op... (more)

lzpoof (Jul. 02, 2008 @ 8:23a) |

I was a big Fuji fan but I'm leaving them for Canon for my next camera. The new slew of Fuji cameras suck!

I have an F10 ... (more)

strange0kiddo (Jul. 02, 2008 @ 8:39a) |

rebate form

valid for purchase from 2/1 to 4/30. Must mail by 5/30

LINK TO REBATE SAYS $50 BUT REBATE FORM ITSELF SAYS $75 REBATE
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

*bump*

fixed link, added specs.

No it does not have OIS but should produce better pictures at 1 or 2 stops better than most OIS cameras anyway.

If you need optical or mechanical image stabilization on a camera with a 3x zoom lens, I have an alternative suggestion: reduce your daily coffee intake by several pots.

This is a very good camera for an excellent price. It is a sad thing that the deals on the F40fd/F45fd did not appear until after we purchased a Kodak M883 for my wife. She likes it but like all current model Kodaks (except maybe the Z712 and Z812) it produces exceedingly grainy, noisy photos. Were it not for the large check I will be writing for the IRS next week, I think I'd go for this deal and just take my lumps on whatever I could get for the M883 on eBay.

lousygolfer said: If you need optical or mechanical image stabilization on a camera with a 3x zoom lens, I have an alternative suggestion: reduce your daily coffee intake by several pots.

This is a very good camera for an excellent price. It is a sad thing that the deals on the F40fd/F45fd did not appear until after we purchased a Kodak M883 for my wife. She likes it but like all current model Kodaks (except maybe the Z712 and Z812) it produces exceedingly grainy, noisy photos. Were it not for the large check I will be writing for the IRS next week, I think I'd go for this deal and just take my lumps on whatever I could get for the M883 on eBay.

Actually, a much better constructing tip is to use the "continous shoot" feature. There should be one (coz I have F20 and it has one). On my F20, it takes one picture/second while you're pushing the button. When you finished, just review which pictures you like. The downside is when this mode is on, flash will not work.

Alternatively, there is "anti-blur" button you can use too. Probably use this mode when you really need it.

If you are ok with rebate, get epson cx7400 AIO for free after $70 epson rebate.

Just in case anyone is wondering like I was...

Question
What is the difference between the Finepix F40fd and the Finepix F45fd?

Answer
Both cameras feature the same specifications, features, & camera body. The Finepix F45fd is a Ritz Camera exclusive model which features the Ritz Camera logo in the graphic user interface. Both models carry a Fujifilm USA 1 year limited warranty.

Link

EDIT: Forgot to mention that since this camera has USA warranty, this is an EXCELLENT deal! Great price for a great camera!

lousygolfer said: If you need optical or mechanical image stabilization on a camera with a 3x zoom lens, I have an alternative suggestion: reduce your daily coffee intake by several pots.

This is a very good camera for an excellent price. It is a sad thing that the deals on the F40fd/F45fd did not appear until after we purchased a Kodak M883 for my wife. She likes it but like all current model Kodaks (except maybe the Z712 and Z812) it produces exceedingly grainy, noisy photos......

Looking at the sample pic at

http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/fujif50fd_samples/originals/dscf6590.jpg

this camera is not worth the buy. Canon Axx series do very well in similar light (early night).

rkfwc said: Looking at the sample pic at

this camera is not worth the buy. Canon Axx series do very well in similar light (early night).

Except that you're looking at the review and sample pic for the Fuji F50FD, which is a completely different model from the F40FD/F45FD.

The F50FD has worse image quality than the F40/F45 because of an increase in megapixels (imagine that, no that's not a typo). The increase in megapixels decreases the size of the individual photosites on the sensor, and subsequently will produce much more grain and loss of detail as the ISO increases. IIRC the F50 even at base ISO shows some smearing and loss of fine detail due to its noise reduction.

The F31FD was perhaps the greatest in terms of clean high-ISO performance, but has long been discontinued. The F40/F45 is not far behind however and can still take wonderfully detailed photos at ISO 1600 in low light settings.

IMO this is a bargain at this price. Grab it while you can before it goes the way of the Dodo and F31. I bought an F40 to replace a Canon SD600 for my girlfriend earlier this year and we don't regret the decision one bit.

Is the movie mode continous up tot he size of the memory card or it takes it in intervals?

mach6 said: Is the movie mode continous up tot he size of the memory card or it takes it in intervals?

DCRESOURCE REVIEW

..... until your card fills up.

I am in the checkout process now (man, I have spent too much money on Fatwallet lately!)... don't forget the 3% FatCash!!

Thanks OP, seems like a bargain!

Bullhonkie said: rkfwc said: Looking at the sample pic at

Except that you're looking at the review and sample pic for the Fuji F50FD, which is a completely different model from the F40FD/F45FD.

The F50FD has worse image quality than the F40/F45 because of an increase in megapixels (imagine that, no that's not a typo). The increase in megapixels decreases the size of the individual photosites on the sensor, and subsequently will produce much more grain and loss of detail as the ISO increases. IIRC the F50 even at base ISO shows some smearing and loss of fine detail due to its noise reduction.

The F31FD was perhaps the greatest in terms of clean high-ISO performance, but has long been discontinued. The F40/F45 is not far behind however and can still take wonderfully detailed photos at ISO 1600 in low light settings.

IMO this is a bargain at this price. Grab it while you can before it goes the way of the Dodo and F31. I bought an F40 to replace a Canon SD600 for my girlfriend earlier this year and we don't regret the decision one bit.

Actually, the F40/F45 has worse overall image quality than the F50. The F50 is taking a 12mp image so that's comparing apples and oranges. When you downsize the image to 6mp or use 6mp mode on the F50 the overall image is sharper and cleaner than the F40 at 6mp and not that far from a F30/F31 in some cases. The f40/45 look like they apply more noise reduction than the F50. This is a similar mistake people use when comparing the F31 and F50.

Check out there 2 links from dc resource:

FUJI F50 ISO800 reduced to 6mp
FUJI F30 ISO800 native 6mp

So even though I'm the OP, I'm not about to slam the F50 compared to this.

rkfwc said: lousygolfer said: If you need optical or mechanical image stabilization on a camera with a 3x zoom lens, I have an alternative suggestion: reduce your daily coffee intake by several pots.

This is a very good camera for an excellent price. It is a sad thing that the deals on the F40fd/F45fd did not appear until after we purchased a Kodak M883 for my wife. She likes it but like all current model Kodaks (except maybe the Z712 and Z812) it produces exceedingly grainy, noisy photos......

Looking at the sample pic at

It's already been pointed out you're referencing the wrong camera model, but if you look at the EXIF data that shot was taken at ISO 1600. Take a look at measured performance of the latest Canon A series at ISO 1600, it's a complete mess. Fuji's F series cameras excel at low light pictures because they have large sensors which tradeoff megapixels for noise reduction.

..also had them add the printer onto the order, FAR.. no shipping or tax, either so all is good there... just got that same printer for 19.99 at BB with that Dell laptop deal.... so I will either have free ink or a few bucks on eBay for the printer.. made this deal even better... thanks to dealfanic for that...

The last fuji camera I had would always choose ISO800 in auto mode and it made for some unnecessary noise. This one has 3 auto settings for limiting the iso to 1600, 800, or 400. With this one, though, iso800 is actually livable. This will be my 2nd f40fd. Yes, iso1600 is noisy on any point and shoot out there. This one doesn't look as bad as that sample shot from the f50, though. For a hundred bucks???? Thanks OP.

Thanks lzpoof and dealfanic!!

Ahh.. may be time to eBay the old F20!

If anyone is interested, you can upgrade your FujiFilm FinePix F45fd firmware from 1.01/1.02 => 1.10 to enable SDHC support using the firmware listed on their Global site:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/download/f40fd_f45fd/fupd.html

I suggested it to someone on a digital camera forum and they said they were able to flash their Ritz Camera U.S. version F45fd camera successfully with this Global firmware. The only "side-effect" is that the Ritz Camera logo won't display anymore upon start-up (but I don't think many people really care about that). However, since I don't know whether or not this works first-hand (I'm trying to resist buying this since I already have an F31fd), as a disclaimer I should mention to USE THIS FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

chokaay said: If anyone is interested, you can upgrade your FujiFilm FinePix F45fd firmware from 1.01/1.02 => 1.10 to enable SDHC support using the firmware listed on their Global site:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/download/f40fd_f45fd/fupd.html

I suggested it to someone on a digital camera forum and they said they were able to flash their Ritz Camera U.S. version F45fd camera successfully with this Global firmware. The only "side-effect" is that the Ritz Camera logo won't display anymore upon start-up (but I don't think many people really care about that). However, since I don't know whether or not this works first-hand (I'm trying to resist buying this since I already have an F31fd), as a disclaimer I should mention to USE THIS FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If you could sell your F31fd on eBay you could afford FOUR of these. Of course I'd still prefer the F31fd. Now if only they had enabled a control on the amount of noise reduction and added OIS.... woulda been the perfect camera.

lzpoof said:
If you could sell your F31fd on eBay you could afford FOUR of these. Of course I'd still prefer the F31fd. Now if only they had enabled a control on the amount of noise reduction and added OIS.... woulda been the perfect camera.

Yeah, I know... but I've been quite happy with my F31fd (especially for low light shots). However, it's a real struggle for me to resist this deal since I've used the F40fd before and like a lot of things about it too... especially the improvement in color in daylight pictures! What to do... what to do... sigh...

Deal still going, in for one, along with the FAR printer. Time to retire my Sony DSC-P200 and an old Olympus that the in-laws have been using for some time. I missed the F31fd generation of these cameras but feel that this F45fd is going to offer a similar level of performance - may be not quite as good, but pretty darned close and certainly much closer than any other point and shoot camera on the market of this size. You'd pretty much have to go to a DSLR to get better ISO800 performance. Anyway, time to eBay some cameras...

MaxRC said: Deal still going, in for one, along with the FAR printer. Time to retire my Sony DSC-P200 and an old Olympus that the in-laws have been using for some time. I missed the F31fd generation of these cameras but feel that this F45fd is going to offer a similar level of performance - may be not quite as good, but pretty darned close and certainly much closer than any other point and shoot camera on the market of this size. You'd pretty much have to go to a DSLR to get better ISO800 performance. Anyway, time to eBay some cameras...

That P200 has a lot of resale value maybe $70-$130 on eBay.. One of the last Sony's to use a big sensor and has manual white balance. Suprisingly poor ISO performance on it for the sensor though. It's also strangely able to take conversion lenses even though there's no mount for it.... the lens housing is attached using the tripod mount I believe and covers the lens side of the camera. The P200 gets stellar reviews pretty much everywhere I could find.... might be worth keeping around unless you really need the money

anyone know what the deal is with the rebate??....on the rebate form at Ritz, there's no mention of having to buy the printer...
....but on the page listing the camera it says printer must put in cart separately from the camera???!>...confused....does that mean 2 different orders must be made??
...also, is there a 10% off available using Paypal for this??

Thanx!

I bought this camera about 2 months ago when it was $130 AMIR for the wife and she likes it. What's even better is that I like it and think it can really take some amazingly sharp and colorful shots. The one mode that I found which can take damn near the same qualityh images as my Canon 5D with a L series lens (Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L USM II) is the landscape mode (which tends to use lower ISO and f/8).

I'm thinking of buying another for my son. I'm a semi-pro photographer (I won't directly plug, but search motleypixel if you desire) who reviews glass aka lenses and I think Fuji did a fine job on this compact p&s. For me, all other modes including low light, it does above average for most p&s cameras.

Lex

also, can someone recommend good brands of SD cards to use with this??...looks like we need to do the firmware update for SDHC cards?!...i was thinking of
getting an 8gb card

miles124 said: also, can someone recommend good brands of SD cards to use with this??...looks like we need to do the firmware update for SDHC cards?!...i was thinking of
getting an 8gb card

Because it's not a DSLR, don't bother with the Class 6 or high-speed ones. I would recommend agains the mini/micro that come with the full-size adapters. They can be had cheap these days. I got one 4gb (which will store 1088 full-res super HQ images on this camera) for about $12.

-Roy

was thinking of the 8gb to use if i wanted to do video...how's the video mode on this??...i currently have a Sanyo Xacti C5 but it's a damn pain to charge the thing...multiple cables and stuff...

miles124 said: was thinking of the 8gb to use if i wanted to do video...how's the video mode on this??...i currently have a Sanyo Xacti C5 but it's a damn pain to charge the thing...multiple cables and stuff...

Movie mode is about the same as most other current p&s cameras: 640x480 30fps, 320x240 30fps, mono sound, AVI format, records until your card is full.

It DOES seem to do "better" in low-light situations than most other cameras though, due to its sensor (but don't expect any miracles).

so about how much time could u get of video on 4gb versus 8gb??...any ideas for cheaper 2nd battery??...link for decent SD card?

Thanx!! Fatwallet rocks!

lzpoof said: Bullhonkie said: rkfwc said: Looking at the sample pic at

Actually, the F40/F45 has worse overall image quality than the F50. The F50 is taking a 12mp image so that's comparing apples and oranges. When you downsize the image to 6mp or use 6mp mode on the F50 the overall image is sharper and cleaner than the F40 at 6mp and not that far from a F30/F31 in some cases. The f40/45 look like they apply more noise reduction than the F50. This is a similar mistake people use when comparing the F31 and F50.

I've pondering this same thing. Thanks for clearing that up. So just to be super sure, if I take picture with the F50 at lower resolution (say 6MP), the picture quality will be similar to F31? I know I am repeating what you said ha. The reviews never seem to mention this fact or maybe I overlook it. Too bad I was slow, no more F50s at BB anymore.

lzpoof said: That P200 has a lot of resale value maybe $70-$130 on eBay.. One of the last Sony's to use a big sensor and has manual white balance. Suprisingly poor ISO performance on it for the sensor though. It's also strangely able to take conversion lenses even though there's no mount for it.... the lens housing is attached using the tripod mount I believe and covers the lens side of the camera. The P200 gets stellar reviews pretty much everywhere I could find.... might be worth keeping around unless you really need the money Yea, I bought the P200 after doing a ton of research and trying+returning a DSC-W7. Great camera it was, technology has simply hassed it by. I believe that ultimately, the better low light performance of the Fuji will prove to be a significant advantage for everyday photography. The in-laws will also appreciate the larger display, and more "normal" form factor of the Fuji. As for keeping the P200 around, I just wouldn't have a use for it. I don't use it that much as it is...

ikonoklast said: lzpoof said: Bullhonkie said: rkfwc said: Looking at the sample pic at

I've pondering this same thing. Thanks for clearing that up. So just to be super sure, if I take picture with the F50 at lower resolution (say 6MP), the picture quality will be similar to F31? I know I am repeating what you said ha. The reviews never seem to mention this fact or maybe I overlook it. Too bad I was slow, no more F50s at BB anymore.

An F31 will give you better image quality than a F50 at the same ISO settings if you resize it in camera. However there's a couple things to keep in mind:

1) If you resize the images to 6mp using an external program you'll probably get better quality than if the camera does it.

2) The F50 does has OIS which means that it should be able to take a picture 1 or 2 stops better handheld than the F31 can. This won't help for fast moving objects where you NEED the quick shutter, but for handheld day and night shots it makes more sense to compare a ISO200 on the F50 to an ISO400 on a F31. The F40 doesn't have OIS and has worse image quality than the F31, so keeping in mind what I just said, that means the F40 probably won't be better at the same ISO as a F50 and certainly won't be if you take a ISO200 from an F50 and an ISO400 from a F40.

The main problem with the F40,F50 and also the original F30 is that the camera itself applies to much noise reduction on images. The 31 lowered the noise reduction a bit from the F30 and also lowered purple fringing which is why it's so popular. If you can't turn off noise reduction, it makes sense that the larger the image you ahve to play with, the less you'll notice the noise reduction if the images are shrunk to the same size.

Another good note on the ISO performance. Peopel seem to assume that high ISO performance doesn't come at a cost .. IT DOES. In order to give you that quick shutter and low lightperformance, the camera has to open the aperture up as much as possible. If you read any camera reviews you'll see that a high aperture = purplefringing/chromatic aberration. As a former owner of a Canon SD100 and a Sony P100 I can tell you that purple fringing drives me NUTS ! I'd rather have a little noisier pic than a purple fringed one because I can at least control the noise in software later. You can't do much about purple fringing once the photo is taken.

Of course you can't really find a F50 or F31 for 100 bucks so..............

oh a good tip...

try out the exif data viewer extension for firefox if you're looking at photos online. It gives you isntant access to the camera model, firmware, ISO setting, shutter speed etc. on an image.

Thx for the tips OP. BB was clearing out F50s for $150 but of course they were all gone by the time I went to the stores. Wanted an F50 cause of it's size.

still on the fence on this one...whether or not to pull the trigger...
....I want something compact with a movie mode....of course the Lumix TZ5 would be cool with it's huge zoom, but it's also triple the price of this...
so, what do u guys think?...will i be happy with the pictures from this thing??....is it compact enough??....comparable quality to Canon SD750?

miles124 said: still on the fence on this one...whether or not to pull the trigger...
....I want something compact with a movie mode....of course the Lumix TZ5 would be cool with it's huge zoom, but it's also triple the price of this...
so, what do u guys think?...will i be happy with the pictures from this thing??....is it compact enough??....comparable quality to Canon SD750?

well, I didn't have a chance to take a video with this camera, but I have a fuji z10fd, the video is not even comparable with those taken by Lumix LZ7. The quality is very very lousy from the fuji, while the Lumix gives you near HD quality.

ddyourself said:
well, I didn't have a chance to take a video with this camera, but I have a fuji z10fd, the video is not even comparable with those taken by Lumix LZ7. The quality is very very lousy from the fuji, while the Lumix gives you near HD quality.

Wow, talking about apple and oranges...

ddyourself said: miles124 said: still on the fence on this one...whether or not to pull the trigger...

Thau Fuji is one of those tiny cameras with the weird folded lens. The Lumix has a real lens and zoom. Probably explains it.

I have a F10 and F20, they great most the time. Tempted to buy this because of price.

Skipping 86 Messages...
I was a big Fuji fan but I'm leaving them for Canon for my next camera. The new slew of Fuji cameras suck!

I have an F10 and F20, sadly never bought an F30. Hopefully my F20 lasts a long time because its amazing.

The F45fd is good though, so for 100, great super buy!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014