• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
TomTom One @ Buy.com

Hotter if you have Google coupons. Don't forget FatCash (I did, got too excited)

I bought a Refurb from Buy.com for $110 AR AC a couple weeks ago and it works great. Just bought a second unit w/ 25 off $75 for AR price of $75. No excuse not to have one at these prices.

Marshall
The Real HT Info Podcast

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well, that might not be the case. The older version has bluetooth and maps on SD card - from what I'm reading, it seems... (more)

Fuzzy (May. 06, 2008 @ 11:39a) |

OK, I looked it up...for anyone who cares: Differences between v2 and v3

Basically there is a difference in the chip (Ham... (more)

Fuzzy (May. 06, 2008 @ 12:19p) |

nm

dealeo (May. 08, 2008 @ 9:11p) |

*****Take another 5% off with link below if you have not used it before ($6.00)*****
Link

List Price: $149.99
Our Price: $119.98
Price After Rebate(s): $99.98
Shipping: FREE
Buy.com Total Price: $99.98
GCO ($25 off $75) - $25
Total Price: $74.98
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

hey op,
plz put "ONE 3rd Edition" in your title

edit: nevermind, you did it while I was writing

Did your refurb Tom Tom's come in the original box? Did it look used? I bought a few items from Buy.com and some arrived in just plastic bags, some had parts missing. They did work though...

michi098 said: Did your refurb Tom Tom's come in the original box? Did it look used? I bought a few items from Buy.com and some arrived in just plastic bags, some had parts missing. They did work though...

people on the other side are saying it comes in original box, only way to tell its a refurb is serial #.

I have this TomTom One, its a great unit.
The only draw back is that it doesnt come with TTS.

-You can also get the plastic shield for the screen from shieldzone to keep it from scratching.

Can this be used to locate property by location rather than with maps - like land out in the middle of the desert?

I do not know why but ordered one.

ZzZzs said: Can this be used to locate property by location rather than with maps - like land out in the middle of the desert?

I played a while ago with one of these things and it gives you longitude-latitude coordinates.
I believe that you can even input longitude-latitude coordinates (as a place where you want to go and it points you in the direction of the address).
I remember that the TomTom that I played with it had a driving mode (directions when driving) and walk mode, directions for walking in the city. I am not entirely sure if it would work well for geocaching (if that is what you mean).
I remember that the battery was not that great, so you would have about 2h with a full battery (hope they improved the battery life, but I doubt it); I think this would be the major drawback for geocaching.

Hope this helps,
Little

zc8 said: I do not know why but ordered one.

I know why I ordered one: to use that nice little 25 off 75 coupon...

New units are $141 w/free shipping at Amazon (if anyone cares):
Link

My impression after living with a Garmin C320 for 2-3 years and 4 months with the TomTom LE:

If you don't mind hacking the unit, it is possible to get TTS on the 3rd ed TomTom1, however, you'll only be able to get regional maps (as oppose to all of North America) This is due to the limited storage and no SD card slot. However, I found the text-to-speach only marginally useful (personal preference I guess). It is also buggy and slow. (With long street names and me driving fast, I will miss the turn by the time TomTom say it...)

The battery life of the TomTom is horrible compare to the C320. I get over 3 hours with the Garmin, while the TomTom is just over 1 hour(I have the extra SD card and maximum detail, plus the TTS hack, so maybe thats the problem?) Also, I find that even if I don't use it (turned off), the battery appear to drain..

Both the C320 and the TomTom take about the same amount of time to lock onto a signal...

While there are many many more interesting options and features in the TomTom, the map/nagivation is simply not very good. I travel a lot, and found the Garmin to be excellent. (I've visited most of the states/provinces and many big cities using the Garmin). With the TomTom, I can't find an address on Michigan Ave. in downtown Chicago(It appears that Michigan starts at 1000 in Chicago!)Also, many local cities with 2 words are not searchable on my TomTom. Example: I can't seem to find Madison Heights in the list of Michigan cities, but were eventually able to find my destination using a more general search. The user friendliness and simplity of the Garmin is also much better...

I will be looking for a NUVI and once I get a deal, I'll be getting rid of my TomTom...

stevie123 said: My impression after living with a Garmin C320 for 2-3 years and 4 months with the TomTom LE:

If you don't mind hacking the unit, it is possible to get TTS on the 3rd ed TomTom1, however, you'll only be able to get regional maps (as oppose to all of North America) This is due to the limited storage and no SD card slot. However, I found the text-to-speach only marginally useful (personal preference I guess). It is also buggy and slow. (With long street names and me driving fast, I will miss the turn by the time TomTom say it...)

The battery life of the TomTom is horrible compare to the C320. I get over 3 hours with the Garmin, while the TomTom is just over 1 hour(I have the extra SD card and maximum detail, plus the TTS hack, so maybe thats the problem?) Also, I find that even if I don't use it (turned off), the battery appear to drain..

Both the C320 and the TomTom take about the same amount of time to lock onto a signal...

While there are many many more interesting options and features in the TomTom, the map/nagivation is simply not very good. I travel a lot, and found the Garmin to be excellent. (I've visited most of the states/provinces and many big cities using the Garmin). With the TomTom, I can't find an address on Michigan Ave. in downtown Chicago(It appears that Michigan starts at 1000 in Chicago!)Also, many local cities with 2 words are not searchable on my TomTom. Example: I can't seem to find Madison Heights in the list of Michigan cities, but were eventually able to find my destination using a more general search. The user friendliness and simplity of the Garmin is also much better...

I will be looking for a NUVI and once I get a deal, I'll be getting rid of my TomTom...

its not possible to hack the 3rd edition for TTS.

Thanks!! Had the 25 off 75 Google Checkout email, 75 bux shipped AR!!! Perfect for the my college kid!!

Wait, how are you guys combining the 5% coupon with GCO?

Shahhere

The first one I got came inthe TOMTOM box (not blister pack) with everything except for a code for a free map upgrade. Refurb sticker.

I get over 2 hour battery life, but I run the screen at almost full brightness. Reducing brightness will improve bat life, but if you're in a car, use the included DC adapter.

This is a very simple unit. It get's you to point B from point A and that's it. It doesn't play movies, doesn't answer your phone, don't read you bed time stories. It just keeps you from getting lost.

It will show you your Lat Long, but you can't enter it as a destination that I've found (If I'm wrong, please let me know how, I would like this functionality)

Any other questions, let me know.

Marshall
The Real HT Info Podcast

P.S. Sorry you didn't like the deal Foxcroft, feel free to let us all know why instead of leaving anonymous red.

eugovector said: The first one I got came in the TOMTOM box (not blister pack) with everything except for a code for a free map upgrade. Refurb sticker.

Thanks for the answers guys! How old are the maps on the refurb units, and do you think one could talk them into giving us a new map set anyway?

What's TTS? Thanks.

Farmer said: What's TTS? Thanks.

Text To Speech

Which means that it will read out the names of streets/highways.

So can anyone answer how to combine the 5% and GCO? I saw a few references for that but not sure if they are combinable.

Shahhere

shahhere said: So can anyone answer how to combine the 5% and GCO? I saw a few references for that but not sure if they are combinable.

Shahhere

http://www.Buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074 click on Redeem Coupon

eugovector said: The first one I got came inthe TOMTOM box (not blister pack) with everything except for a code for a free map upgrade. Refurb sticker.

I get over 2 hour battery life, but I run the screen at almost full brightness. Reducing brightness will improve bat life, but if you're in a car, use the included DC adapter.

This is a very simple unit. It get's you to point B from point A and that's it. It doesn't play movies, doesn't answer your phone, don't read you bed time stories. It just keeps you from getting lost.

It will show you your Lat Long, but you can't enter it as a destination that I've found (If I'm wrong, please let me know how, I would like this functionality)

Any other questions, let me know.

Marshall
The Real HT Info Podcast

P.S. Sorry you didn't like the deal Foxcroft, feel free to let us all know why instead of leaving anonymous red.

Yes, you can enter in the Lat and Long as your destination. Its under the "navigate to" menue, on the second screen.

divinewisdom said: Yes, you can enter in the Lat and Long as your destination. Its under the "navigate to" menu, on the second screen.

How did I miss that? Still new to the device I guess. I'll check it out when I get home.

I just ordered one of these 2 days ago for the higher price of $135 before rebate. Does anyone have experience refusing delivery to re-order under a cheaper price? Stupid Buy.com and their lack of price-protection...

walletandgromice said: I just ordered one of these 2 days ago for the higher price of $135 before rebate. Does anyone have experience refusing delivery to re-order under a cheaper price? Stupid Buy.com and their lack of price-protection...

has your order been shipped? you can try to call and cancel...

divinewisdom said: walletandgromice said: I just ordered one of these 2 days ago for the higher price of $135 before rebate. Does anyone have experience refusing delivery to re-order under a cheaper price? Stupid Buy.com and their lack of price-protection...

has your order been shipped? you can try to call and cancel...

Yeah, shipped today. Sent an e-mail and they claimed they tried to cancel it but it was too late -- then I got shipping notification. Just read the fine-print and noticed they have a 15% restocking fee. I don't know if that applies to delivery refusal or only RMA. Man, I was bummed about not having the $25 off coupon but the price drop adds insult to injury

Any info on warranty? Thanx.

Can anybody compare it to the Magellan Maestro 3100 deal?

divinewisdom said:

You can if you have the 3rd Edition LE. It has an SD slot.

I tried to hack it, but got a virus in the process. It put a password on my laptop, and now I can't use it. I give up on the hacking for now.

In for one, fantastic deal. I used Fat Cash and the GCO for $20 off, but couldn't get the 5% coupon to work with GCO.
$119.98 - $20 - $20 (MIR) w/free delivery = $79.98 delivered.

ruisheng1 said: Any info on warranty? Thanx.

1 year from tomtom, Buy.com also offers extended two years for $19 on this product I think.

dealmedealme said: Can anybody compare it to the Magellan Maestro 3100 deal?

not too familiar with Magellan, but TomTom has some very nice features like mapshare (people update street names, POI, Road closure..etc), voice - you can the voice accent/male/female, add pics to log in and log off.

this is aside the tomtom being accurate and fast.

i just downloaded darth vader sound LOL, so now darth vader will be navigate me.

Nevermind. I figured it out!

It's tied to your specific account, so no use begging.

Sign up for google checkout, Buy.com promotions, and wait for one to be delivered.

eugovector said: It's tied to your specific account, so no use begging.

Sign up for google checkout, Buy.com promotions, and wait for one to be delivered.

I certainly was not begging. I know that I got the email but couldn't find it. I figured it out after I signed into GCO and saw my $20 off.
Just because I don't post here every day, don't assume that I am begging.

dalesimpson said: eugovector said: It's tied to your specific account, so no use begging.

I certainly was not begging. I know that I got the email but couldn't find it. I figured it out after I signed into GCO and saw my $20 off.

Well, in that case, you should just be able to check out with the account it was sent to, and it should be applied automagically.

Sorry if I offended.

eugovector said: dalesimpson said: eugovector said: It's tied to your specific account, so no use begging.

Well, in that case, you should just be able to check out with the account it was sent to, and it should be applied automagically.

Sorry if I offended.

It was automatically applied when I signed in to GCO for the purchase, I just got a little panicky when I couldn't find the email.
No worries about offending me. I was a little defensive from seeing how new posters are treated elsewhere and I overreacted somewhat, and for that I apologize.

winipu said: divinewisdom said:

You can if you have the 3rd Edition LE. It has an SD slot.

I tried to hack it, but got a virus in the process. It put a password on my laptop, and now I can't use it. I give up on the hacking for now.

Yes, the "LE" can be hacked for TTS. I have it and my whole family LOVES it for the price I paid ($139). Use a non-SDHC 4gb card and you can have a few maps and more voices.

The third edition can also be hacked BUT you must use a small hacked US only map that is small enough to fit the TTS files and voice files. The map is an older version too.

larger model TomTom XL Refurbished

TomTom ONE XL- Portable GPS System w/ Preloaded Maps of US and Canada - Refurbished $165.99AR

If you have $25GCO= $140.99

And to make the deal hotter, I ordered yesterday at about noon, selecting the free budget shipping option. I'm scheduled for delivery this afternoon. Free overnight shipping?

Your results may vary, my delivery location was Pleasant Valley, NY.

Marshall
The Real HT Info Podcast

I found a refurbished Magellan RoadMate 2200T for $110 AR at eCost. This might be preferable to the TomTom One since it has Text-to-Speech. I've never used either device.

Skipping 20 Messages...
nm

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014