• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Title says it all: Lowes Sta-Green Starter Fertilizer 15,000' Sq. Bag 18-24-10 Reg. $23 Now $4.00 on Clearance YMMV. SKU 93487.

Note that this fertilizer is phosphorus heavy and that in many areas, phosphorus is being banned or strongly discouraged as a residential fertilizer ingredient as it's been linked to growth of algae in ponds and lakes and other water bodies (same reason laundry detergents no longer contain phosphorus). In theory, phosphorus stimulates root growth, which is why it's marketed as starter fertilizer, but it should be OK as well on established lawns and may be a good "winterizer" substitute.

My attitude on this deal is that the price is great, I don't live right next to a stream or pond, and that if somebody's going to buy and use the fertilizer, it might as well be me since I plan to apply it correctly in reasonable amounts.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Thanks OP for the deal and good thought about environment!

screaming deal..too bad I already put mine down.....

just because you dont live next to a stream or pond doesnt mean the water on your property doesnt end up in one. where do you think the storm drain systems outfall? Phosphorous removal is one of the main points of the water quality regulations. most cities/states require bioretention or water quality pond that removes 70% of total phosphorous that drains from the site you are developing.

jasonvt said: just because you dont live next to a stream or pond doesnt mean the water on your property doesnt end up in one. where do you think the storm drain systems outfall?

If you put chemicals on the ground right next to a body of water, chances are that a greater percentage of them are going to get washed straight into the water; if you put chemicals on the ground farther from a body of water, chances are that a greater percentage of them are going to get absorbed into plants between the place where they were put on the ground and wherever the body of water is located. That's all I was saying.

Sources of eutrophication can be located anywhere that water can move. Not being located near a stream has little to do with the eutrophication potential of incorrect fertilizer use. Follow the directions on the bag and do not over-apply. More is not better. Having said that, a high P feed is suitable now for growing roots, in preparation for the summer heat.

dgoedken said: screaming deal..too bad I already put mine down.....

No reason you can't store it as long as you don't leave the bag directly on the ground (the air-ground temperature differential can cause condensation to accumulate in the bag) or someplace where it's going to get rained on.

Wish my neighbor would buy some.

Non stock item in Northwestern Oho

Acapulco said: Non stock item in Northwestern Oho

Non Stock does not mean the deal is not good!!!

That is actually why it is on clearance.
All of the great Lowes clearance deals are "non stock" items.
It is an item they don't plan on carrying any more and set them to "non-stock" status and drop the price dramatically.
non-stock means the stores won't be getting any more, but it doesn't mean they don't have any.

Assuming that you live in an area with several nearby stores... you can do the following:
get assistance from a CSR at lowes.
have them look up the item.
If they have non in stock, have them check the region, it should pull up a screen showing inventory levels for all stores in the area. Disclaimer: Inventory is not always accurate - but there is a good chance that if a nearby store shows 10 or so in stock that they will have at least some.

next you go to the nearby store that shows some in inventory and go through the same process of having them try to locate the items (assuming it doesn's show up on the shelves where it belongs, or in a clearance area). If they can't find it (or maybe before you even ask) ... walk the aisles searching the "top stock" or upper shelves where they store excess stock. Look for product markings or SKU number, etc.

I am sure that there are some parts of the above that are not 100% accurate, but you get the idea. in this case "non stock" is a good thing!

duddly said: If they can't find it (or maybe before you even ask) ... walk the aisles searching the "top stock" or upper shelves where they store excess stock. Look for product markings or SKU number, etc.

The bag is bright yellow if you're checking the overhead for it.

Thanks. I am on the way to lowes

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014