• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got an offer in the mail from AMEX for Los Angeles Times subscription...didn't see this particular deal posted elsewhere(different from the weekend only deal)...so here goes...

Receive a Year of 7-day-a-week Home Delivery for $52/year plus get a $20 Best Buy Gift Card when you pay with any American Express Card.
For new SoCal subscribers only (I am in Orange County and received this.)

To subscribe, call 1-800-572-3175 before June 30, 2008.

No Promo Code! Called the number to confirm promo. I told the rep I have received a mail promo from AMEX. She quoted the $52/year with $20 BB GC when paying with AMEX, I didn't mention any promo code. (May or may not be targeted for certain customers.)

Details from the Mailer:
Offer valid when you pay with any American Express Credit or Charge Card. Fulfillment of the offer is the sole responsibility of the participating American Express merchant. Your American Express Card will be charged a one-time payment of $52 for the 7-Day annual offer. After that, your Card will be billed annually at the regular annual rate in effect at the time your savings expires, unless you notify the Times otherwise. Offer valid to new subscribers only and may not be combined with any other offer. Offer available only in specified Southern California areas where subscribers are billed directly by The Times. Limit one subscription per household. Please allow 3-4 weeks for Best Buy Gift Card fulfillment. Rates include applicable CA sales tax. Customer agrees to being contacted at the given telephone number, including by use of an auto-dial system and/or by use of prerecorded message. Offer valid through 6/30/08.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is there a code to go with it? Normally Los Angeles Times offers come with an SP code. Might be different letters/numbers since the offer came from AMEX but I have seen them listed before in very small letter/number combos next to the offer t&c's. Most times L.A. Times cs will ask for a code.

I did get $52 per year, 365 continious days of service last June but without any gift certificate and without using an AMEX card just for asking.

Didn't see mention of any code on the card.

I just called to inquire about the promotion.
I told the rep that I received an AMEX mail promo.
She confirmed the $52/year with $20 BB GC when paying w/AMEX

Offer may be targeted..may be worth a try if you are interested in daily subscription...

Hot! Thanks OP, in for one! Gotta love AMEX

munmun said: Got an offer in the mail from AMEX for Los Angeles Times subscription...didn't see this particular deal posted elsewhere(different from the weekend only deal)...so here goes...

Receive a Year of 7-day-a-week Home Delivery for $52/year plus get a $20 Best Buy Gift Card when you pay with any American Express Card.
For new SoCal subscribers only (I am in Orange County and received this.)

To subscribe, call 1-800-572-3175 before June 30, 2008.

I haven't subscribed to this myself since we are long time customers of the OC Register. For those interest in the LA times, seems like a pretty good deal.

Details from the Mailer:
Offer valid when you pay with any American Express Credit or Charge Card. Fulfillment of the offer is the sole responsibility of the participating American Express merchant. Your American Express Card will be charged a one-time payment of $52 for the 7-Day annual offer. After that, your Card will be billed annually at the regular annual rate in effect at the time your savings expires, unless you notify the Times otherwise. Offer valid to new subscribers only and may not be combined with any other offer. Offer available only in specified Southern California areas where subscribers are billed directly by The Times. Limit one subscription per household. Please allow 3-4 weeks for Best Buy Gift Card fulfillment. Rates include applicable CA sales tax. Customer agrees to being contacted at the given telephone number, including by use of an auto-dial system and/or by use of prerecorded message. Offer valid through 6/30/08.

Great post OP!

On the LA Times promo mailers I've received in the past, the SP code has been in small print near one of the edges of the card.

After that, your Card will be billed annually at the regular annual rate in effect at the time your savings expires, unless you notify the Times otherwise.
This is part of the reason why they have these promos...hoping people will continue on at the much higher regular rate. I wonder if you can tell them right when you sign up that you don't want recurring billing.

poohbie said: Great post OP!

On the LA Times promo mailers I've received in the past, the SP code has been in small print near one of the edges of the card.

After that, your Card will be billed annually at the regular annual rate in effect at the time your savings expires, unless you notify the Times otherwise.
This is part of the reason why they have these promos...hoping people will continue on at the much higher regular rate. I wonder if you can tell them right when you sign up that you don't want recurring billing.

If you have the one time use cc numbers, that would be great for this.

*edit, just realized, I don't think AMEX has the one time numbers...

lazybummm said: poohbie said: Great post OP!

If you have the one time use cc numbers, that would be great for this.

*edit, just realized, I don't think AMEX has the one time numbers...
I wonder if they would accept an AMEX Gift Card? That would solve the reoccuring possible problem.

Great price.

Jut be forewarned. The telemarketers will not stop calling. Customer service has always been a hassle to deal with. Sorry for the thread crap. LA Times has major issues.

starih said: Great price.

Jut be forewarned. The telemarketers will not stop calling. Customer service has always been a hassle to deal with. Sorry for the thread crap. LA Times has major issues.

list a fake number - you can change it on myaccount.latimes.com

anxietykl said: starih said: Great price.

Changing it later didn't stop the telemarketing calls, as I assume my original # is still on their telemarketing list.

Has anyone had luck with them actually removing your # from the telemarketing list when you ask them to?

What I do is give an area code 424 number then my real last nine digits. They never call me nor can they! Nobody has a 424 number even though it is a West Los Angeles area code overlay of the 310 area code.

Can I cancel my existing account and order this a few days later? I am paying double of this amount.

poohbie said: anxietykl said: starih said: Great price.

Changing it later didn't stop the telemarketing calls, as I assume my original # is still on their telemarketing list.

Has anyone had luck with them actually removing your # from the telemarketing list when you ask them to?

I haven't had an issue, as I used my GC number. Anyhoo, this part of the T&C's might shed some light:

"Customer agrees to being contacted at the given telephone number, including by use of an auto-dial system and/or by use of prerecorded message."

Great deal!

I'm currently on the $20/year for extended weekend delivery, and my only hesitation comes from the fact that our paper-deliverer doesn't usually make it by until ~9AM. If only I could figure that bit out...

i did this as well. great find OP! no promo code needed. no hassles. got my gift card today!

Thanks, this is great! The operator offered me the deal before I even had a chance to ask! I also asked not to be solicited by phone or mail. She put a note in the account - we'll see if it works.

Last day to sign up for those interested!

Seems like giftcards are being sent out pretty quickly

Appears to still work or it might be offered again. I called to renew and mentioned the AMEX offer and I got 52/year prepaid and asked about the gift card and he said he entered it. Delivery will start in 3 days.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014