• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been shopping around and boy do they make it confusing to shop for a mower. Every big box has different "exclusive" features and different terminology that makes them hard to compare unless you have a spreadsheet you can fill in. This is the best value I've found on a mid-high end mower (by features, not by brand!) This one has not been on sale the past couple of weeks.

Features:
Briggs & Stratton Engine with 6.75 ft-lbs gross torque
Key Start - Just turn the key and go!
B&S's Most Reliable Start - MRS (Craftsman Exclusive)
Ready Start (No Prime, No Choke)
Precision Plus Cutting System (Craftsman Exclusive)
Fully assembled
2 year limited warranty

You can double dip on Sears.com on both the sales price of $299.99 and $25 off lawn and garden purchases over $250 that has leaked over into this sales period. Also, you can pick it up in store to save on shipping and there's 4% FatCash available. If you add $25 more in Lawn and Garden and use your Sears card you can get the promo financing of no payments and no interest for a year or 5% back by rebate.

Deal:

Reg. $429.99
Sale $299.99 ($130 off)
Sale $274.99 ($25 off $250)
$12 FatCash (on $299)
$15 back for Sears card rebate (on $299)

Total = $247.99

LINK to Sears

Only good today and tommorrow, but the $25 could go away at anytime as it was listed on their site as ending 5/22.

EDIT: Thanks to Minidrag for pointing out that the $25 is back until 5/29. The mower is only on sale through today (5/27) though.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They are giving an additional 10% off thru 10/26 now, so I got this mower for $244.99 before tax. Great deal and thanks... (more)

odoylerules (Jun. 25, 2008 @ 5:17p) |

Thanks for the heads up. I called Sears and the woman said she couldn't adjust the price or cancel my original order. ... (more)

letsgoflyers81 (Jun. 25, 2008 @ 5:53p) |

I cannot find the $25 off coupon. Is there a link? or it has expired? Thx.

Roy2001 (Jul. 03, 2008 @ 11:59a) |

$25 off is good again - "Buy More and Save on Lawn & Garden Purchases. $15 off $150 - $249, $25 off $250 and over. Offer ends 29-May-2008"
Staff Summary

Craftsman sucks. Don't buy anything from Sears except mattresses at half price.

Difference between this one?

I did a compare and they match on every feature.

The one ^ looks like it's pull start--no electric start as in the OP's deal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That would be a major difference.

ez said: Difference between this one?

No electric start. I don't need it but I thought it was worth the $10 for potential resale value.

Thanks, xtag2000, for the very inciteful comment. I don't usually shop Sears either, but I thought I'd take a shot with the lawnmower. What makes their mowers worse than any other big box that has lawnmower lines tailored for them? I realize it's not a Honda, but I'm not paying Honda prices either.

ez said: Difference between this one?

I have this one, nice mower, i like it. Only thing is the where the hatch sits on the bag doesn't stay totally sealed and grass has a tenancy to shoot out at me. No big deal, I am happy with the mower though

Jon

pete7919 said: ez said: Difference between this one?

No electric start. I don't need it but I thought it was worth the $10 for potential resale value.

Thanks, xtag2000, for the very inciteful comment. I don't usually shop Sears either, but I thought I'd take a shot with the lawnmower. What makes their mowers worse than any other big box that has lawnmower lines tailored for them? I realize it's not a Honda, but I'm not paying Honda prices either.

I have use a similar Craftsman 21" Briggs & Stratton self-propelled push mower for 12 years now. It still starts on the first pull and it looks and performs as it did the day I got it with only the expected seasonal maintenance (replace filer,change last season's oil, sharpen or replace blade). In the same time my neighbor has gone through 3 mowers with Honda engines and he is now on his fourth. All three Hondas that died seized up for no maintennace or usage related reason. All were extremely difficult to start even when new right out of the box with a fresh tank of gas and new neve used oil. Bottom line buying by brand name reputation especially a Honda is never a good idea.

IMO unless you are handicapped the key start feature on this Craftsman is useless and will only be a maintenace nighmare throughout the life of the mower. You will spend more time troubleshooting the ignition than you will spend mowing.

I bought it two weeks ago for $268 its a great mower, I was going to get another that was the same for much more but I found this in the clearance section, the employee gave me his discount to get the price lower as they gave me crappy service when I was working with them earlyer.

I bought my first self propelled lawnmower last year from Sears...identical to this one except mine has front wheel drive...It starts easy enough but if I ever buy another propelled unit it's gonna have more then 6.75 HP...when you use the mulching option and your grass is a tad high it's just not enough power to keep it from bogging down and stalling...I guess the mulching and the front wheel drive really eat up the HP. If you keep your grass short and mow every week then it's not a problem. I'm the every other week variety mower.

Looks good for the money. I bought a toro super recycler for $400 three years ago and I love it. Their personal pace system is the best I have ever tried. It goes whatever speed I do and no adjustments, no pulling. If I go slow, it goes slow, if I stop, it stops. If I go fast, it goes fast. Automatically. It was the number 2 rated mower in CR last time. Anyway....

AFineMess said: I bought my first self propelled lawnmower last year from Sears...identical to this one except mine has front wheel drive...It starts easy enough but if I ever buy another propelled unit it's gonna have more then 6.75 HP...when you use the mulching option and your grass is a tad high it's just not enough power to keep it from bogging down and stalling...I guess the mulching and the front wheel drive really eat up the HP. If you keep your grass short and mow every week then it's not a problem. I'm the every other week variety mower.

Maybe. I think my toro super recycler is 6.5 and it will mulch almost anything. I have mulched 1 foot high grass before. Did you make sure your blade is sharp? I sharpen it a few times per season, all I do is mulch and that is very hard on the blade.

I tried putting one in my cart for in-store pickup, and I get: "The item 6.75 Torque 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Rear Propelled Lawn Mower #07137077000 is not available to be picked up in store due to state restrictions. Please choose another location."

I guess these aren't allowed in California for some reason?

george2001 said: I tried putting one in my cart for in-store pickup, and I get: "The item 6.75 Torque 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Rear Propelled Lawn Mower #07137077000 is not available to be picked up in store due to state restrictions. Please choose another location."

Probably puts out too many emmissions or some such crap. We don't even have emissions taxing, I mean testing, for cars yet here....

george2001 said: I tried putting one in my cart for in-store pickup, and I get: "The item 6.75 Torque 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Rear Propelled Lawn Mower #07137077000 is not available to be picked up in store due to state restrictions. Please choose another location."

Yeah, When I picked it up it says "Not for sale in California" on the box. They do split the mowers on their website as CARB approved and non-CA models. Sorry left-coasters.

You are correct. If you look at the list of all Sears mowers available you will also see there is a California filter criteria for Sears mowers that can be sold in California. Yet another reason NOT to live in California.

You can double dip on Sears.com on both the sales price of $299.99 and $25 off lawn and garden purchases over $250 that has leaked over into this sales period. Also, you can pick it up in store to save on shipping and there's 4% FatCash available. If you add $25 more in Lawn and Garden and use your Sears card you can get the promo financing of no payments and no interest for a year or 5% back by rebate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK --- is the $25 off lawn and garden purchases over $250 that has leaked over into this sales period --- will that automatically be applied or is ther a coupon code i need to enter? I couldn't find anything at the website concerning the $25 off lawn and garden purchases over $250. Do I have to buy $25 more to get the other 5% rebate -- because I got the first $25 off?

My store Oakland Mall MI says it will be avaialble in 3-5 daus for in store pickup. No sweat there as long as I can get the deal as OP constructed it.

Pls clarify how to get the $25 off lawn and garden purchases over $250. Thanks much. Good post OP.

I bought practically the same one but mine has 1 more feature which is the deck wash. After the 3rd cut mine doesn't seem to mulch as good as it did the 1st cut. Also mine doesn't start until the 2nd key turn. I paid $299.99 about 2 months ago with another 10% off.

When this one dies I'm going for the Toro.

fvfquaker said: I bought practically the same one but mine has 1 more feature which is the deck wash. After the 3rd cut mine doesn't seem to mulch as good as it did the 1st cut. Also mine doesn't start until the 2nd key turn. I paid $299.99 about 2 months ago with another 10% off.

When this one dies I'm going for the Toro.

The toro is great. The super recycler has an aluminum deck, all the gears are metal, grease fittings. But the personal pace is what makes it better than the Honda for me, anyway. Some people will disagree. Honda makes a better engine but B&S is fine if you maintain it properly. It should last 15 years at least. Before I got the Toro, I used to get bargain mowers. I got a decent deal on the Toro but it is no bargain mower ($400 3 years ago without bag). But the bargain mowers only last a few years, the Toro should last much longer and work better the whole time.

Extra $25 is no longer working. Deal is dead.

It automatically applied in your cart when it was working.

There is $25off coupon via VISA, but unfortunately it would invalidate fat cash.

This looks good for a small yard. But I don't like the lack of choke and primer. It makes the engine easier to fix and start. Also never a big fan of battery starting push mower. I don't like the extra weight. Its a problem with large mow jobs. and I'm not a fan of Briggs & Stratton, but in the push mower market its Honda or this. But the honda has a huge premium, and is just slightly better.

I got to mow my lawn with this for the first time yesterday. I am actually surprise how much I like having the key start. I'm used to having a riding mower where I can leave it running for a minute while I hop off and move something or pickup sticks. The push mower shuts off because of the safety. I just turn the key and it starts right up. No choking or priming either and the motor just turns over and goes. We'll see how that works out in the future.

There is no charging system so it's just a small battery and small starting motor. I'd doubt that it adds more than 2-3 pounds to the whole mower.

Just took a look and found that the $25 from Sears is back - it auto applies when you put the mower in your cart.

"Buy More and Save on Lawn & Garden Purchases. $15 off $150 - $249, $25 off $250 and over. Offer ends 29-May-2008"

cnIsfg said: pete7919 said: ez said: Difference between this one?

I have use a similar Craftsman 21" Briggs & Stratton self-propelled push mower for 12 years now. It still starts on the first pull and it looks and performs as it did the day I got it with only the expected seasonal maintenance (replace filer,change last season's oil, sharpen or replace blade). In the same time my neighbor has gone through 3 mowers with Honda engines and he is now on his fourth. All three Hondas that died seized up for no maintennace or usage related reason. All were extremely difficult to start even when new right out of the box with a fresh tank of gas and new neve used oil. Bottom line buying by brand name reputation especially a Honda is never a good idea.

IMO unless you are handicapped the key start feature on this Craftsman is useless and will only be a maintenace nighmare throughout the life of the mower. You will spend more time troubleshooting the ignition than you will spend mowing.

I wish you had posted this advice 2 month ago. I bought a Craftsman w/ Honda engine(CA model) and I regred my decision to purchase it. I have to pull 2-3 times to start, vibrate a lot, and if grass is a little wet or tall, it would leave a lot of clippings around the turn when I use mulching feature, or the engine gonna die because too much clipping is trapped under the deck and blade has tough time to go through. The design of backdoor(place to hook up bag) traps a lot of clippings that it accumulate until blades couldn't go through and engine quit. Engine is 160cc(I think) and it's weak. My old Murry with B&S could've done better job than this one. I've used it for 6 seasons without service it. I can't justify to toss away this to buy a new one since I only had it for 2 months. I don't know if Sears would take it back for this or not.

Oh well. for rest of FW, don't get model 37172 from Sears.

FYI for people looking for an alternative, I purchased this Yard Man (made by MTD) and it seems to be a great mower so far:

Link

Specs:

190cc Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine
Starts with two pulls
Variable-speed self-propelled
21" 3-in-1 cutting deck gives you the ability to mulch, rear bag or side discharge
Extra large, 12" rear wheels ideal on hilly or uneven terrain
Quick-change 9-position height adjustment
EZ Empty rear bag and mulch kit included
2-year manufacturer's limited warranty
Model: 12AV566M055

It is the equivalent of a Troy Bilt TB566 which Lowes sells for $299.

Michifan12 said: FYI for people looking for an alternative, I purchased this Yard Man (made by MTD) and it seems to be a great mower so far:

Link

Does this mower have ball bearing wheels? Nearly every mower I saw at Sears (short of the $450+ models) did not...

now i just need a deal for someone to stand behind it and mow our 10 acares

crtt said: now i just need a deal for someone to stand behind it and mow our 10 acares

Get married?

Back Again til 06/12

Mower 299.99
- $25 (Auto In Cart) 274.99
- $25 Visa Deal Link Above 249.99

Free shipping to nearest store. FatCash, and Sears Card offers won't work with the Visa Deal.

The item 6.75 Torque 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Rear Propelled Lawn Mower #07137077000 is not available to be picked up in store due to state restrictions. Please choose another location.

I am in CA, why I cannot pickup the mower in store?

This mower is not California CARB approved so you cannot by it in CA. Sorry.

pete7919 said: This mower is not California CARB approved so you cannot by it in CA. Sorry.

Thanks for info. It is not fair...

Looks like it's back on sale for $299.99. The website says there's still $25 off $250 but it's still showing up as $299.99 in my cart. Am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, it dropped to $274.99 once I refreshed the cart.

Deal is back on. 25 off 250 is good until 6/26. I am going to try to use ShopDiscover to get 5% off as I dont think I have a Visa card.

Update: Used Visa offer and just picked it up for $265(including tax).

They are giving an additional 10% off thru 10/26 now, so I got this mower for $244.99 before tax. Great deal and thanks to the OP for doing all the research for me.

odoylerules said: They are giving an additional 10% off thru 10/26 now, so I got this mower for $244.99 before tax. Great deal and thanks to the OP for doing all the research for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I called Sears and the woman said she couldn't adjust the price or cancel my original order. But I could buy it again at the new price and then go to the store and cancel the first purchase. We'll see how it works out.

I cannot find the $25 off coupon. Is there a link? or it has expired? Thx.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014