• filter:
  • 1 234577
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Free shipping still applies and promo code 23444 is still good for $3 off.

CDMA phones now only offered in the CO market. No longer offered in the COGSM4 or COGSM5 markets.

Tracfone often offers particular phones or bundles to only certain market areas. It is very common to see a bundle offered in one zip code and not in another. This does not mean you cannot obtain this offer outside that market area. (See detailed info below)
If you enter a zip code and want to know what market area you are in, look at the url in the address bar.
You can see the "Market= " as part of the address.
    http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=GSM4........
    This tells you what market area the zip code you entered is in.

GSM4 =AT&T, GSM5=T-Mobile, GSM5AT=T-Mobile & AT&T
CO =CDMA, CO GSM4 =CDMA & AT&T, CO GSM5[ =CDMA & T-Mobile

Tracfone's phones work on two different technologies. CDMA & GSM. CDMA phones do not have sim cards. GSM phones use sim cards. If you are familiar with cell phones, you know it is not that simple. If you are not familiar, that is all you need to know at this point. Tracfone's CDMA service providers are Verizon, Alltel & USCellular. Their GSM providers are AT&T & T-Mobile.

CDMA phones are much more flexible than GSM because all you have to do is enter several strings of codes into a CDMA phone to reprogram it for use with another Tracfone CDMA carrier or to change the phone number.

GSM phones need the appropriate sim card for the GSM provider in the area where the phone will be used. Sim cards can be identified by a carrier designation code on the sim card itself. TFSIMC4 or TF64SIMC4 designate AT&T, TFSIMT5 designate T-Mobile. If you want to change the phone number of a GSM phone you will need a new sim card in order to do so.

TRACFONE® provides nationwide prepaid wireless service. They use the nation's leading cellular providers to create a national footprint covering 99% of the U.S. population. This gives you service everywhere cellular service is available. You can use your TRACFONE across the U.S. and if you move, you can relocate your wireless number with just a phone call.

Most of the major cellular providers, AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile, have a different service area for their prepaid customers versus their contract customers. Their prepaid service areas can be much smaller and can also have other limits. This is not the case with Tracfone. You get the same service areas and service levels with these carriers that their contract customers get, not the limits of their prepaid service. This means you get better service from the same carrier than their own prepaid customers.

Tracfone may not advertise/offer CDMA phones in your area, but that does not mean you cannot order a CDMA phone or use one there. You can buy any phone from Tracfone even if it will not work in your area. I give the proceedure on how to order a phone/deal that is not advertised for your area near the end of this post, after the individual market area lists.

They always get a better rate from GSM providers and therefore would prefer that you use a GSM phone in any area that has full GSM coverage available, even if a CDMA provider is available there also. There are times when there may not be phone numbers available from the GSM carrier because of so many users in the area. I have not had that problem with CDMA.

Be sure to confirm that the phone will work in your zip code prior to purchase.
There is plenty of help on this forum if you ask. It is always quicker and easier if you can provide the zip code when you inquire about phones or service for your area.

Here is a list of phones currently offered by Tracfone.. The links will take you to the detail page for each phone. You can view the user manuals from the detail page.

CDMA Phones currently offered by Tracfone.

GSM Phones currently offered by Tracfone. Not All Web enabled phones will access the web outside Tracfone's web site.

Here are the individual market areas and everything currently offered in each one.

GSM4 Market = AT&T

GSM5 Market = TMobile

GSM5AT Market = TMobile & AT&T

CO Market = CDMA

COGSM4 Market = CDMA & AT&T

COGSM5 Market = CDMA & TMobile

Tracfone is still offering Free Shipping on phone or phone bundle orders of $19.99 or more on their web site.
And use promo code 23444 when ordering to save $3 on any phone or phone bundle order of $19.99 or more. You still have to choose your shipping method but the shipping will be credited on the very last page of the order process.

If you do not see a particular phone on one of these market pages then it is not available.

To get a Tracfone offer that is not advertised in your area.
  • Choose the bundle or phone you want and note the market area that it is offered in.
  • Select a zip code** from the Quick Summary (the next post on this thread) for the market area where the offer is available.
  • Go to the Tracfone web site using Fat Cash 9% Rebate
  • Enter the appropriate zip code in the space provided & confirm on the next page.
  • Add the desired item to your cart.
  • Edit the quantity if desired and proceed to checkout.

The zip code you originally entered will be pre-filled in your shipping address. Change the zip code to match your shipping address.
    When you submit this page it will ask you to confirm the zip code change. Choose YES.
    Complete your checkout.

Be sure to confirm that the phone will work in your zip code prior to purchase.
There is plenty of help on this forum if you ask. It is always quicker and easier if you can provide the zip code when you inquire about phones or service for your area.

**Since Tracfone only shows you offerings based on certain market areas you have to use a zip code for that market, not your own. The use of this zip is only to make the offers available for purchase on the site, it will not affect the phone number of the phone.
You can find specific zip codes for the different market areas in the Quick Summary (next post) of this thread).

A lot of markets have changed from GSM4 to GSM5AT. If you are looking for a zip code to use to insure you get a phone with an At&t sim card here are my recommendations.
24874 is a COGSM4 market and definitely has no T-Mobile coverage, so any phone ordered for this zip should be a P4 model.

If you want a phone that only shows up in the GSM only markets your best bet would be to use 65046. It is a GSM4 market and there is no T-Mobile service there, so Tracfone shouldn't send a phone other than At&t. 76825 is also a GSM4 zip code but has some T-Mobile roaming coverage. I don't know if Tracfone would send a T-Mobile phone for a roaming market, I personally doubt it.

All Tracfone sold on WalMart's web site are P4 models, meaning they all come with At&t sim cards.

Use 24870 to see the CDMA offerings

Activation:
You can transfer your existing number or get a new number. Any new number will be assigned by a zip code that you provide at the time of activation.

Bundled Cards:
If the phone comes bundled with an airtime card or any other card such as dmfl or 1 year card, you are free to use that card on any phone, not just the one tha comes in the bundle with it. You can buy the bundle and use the card on your existing phone and then do whatever you want with the bundled phone.

COVERAGE MAPS FOR TRACFONE SERVICE PROVIDERS

GSM Carriers
TMobile Coverage Map
AT&T Coverage Map

CDMA Carriers
Verizon Coverage Map
Alltel Coverage Map
USCellular Coverage Map

Net10
Market Areas

CO Market
GSM4 Market
GSM5 Market
GSM5AT Market

Moderator Comment: Please be sure the links you provide are the most direct possible. Thanks! — Nov. 10, 2013 @ 8:48am
TracFone
See TracFone discounts that earn Up to 15.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
??? on Tracfone CDMA

Is wehter TF will use Verizon, US Cellular or the other CDMA predetermined  by where TF ships or sel... (more)

yesidonoitall (Sep. 22, 2014 @ 11:03p) |

tracfancier (Sep. 22, 2014 @ 11:56p) |

Most Tracfone CDMA phones will activate on Verizon, US Cellular only if Verizon is not available.  Tracfone has never ac... (more)

tracfancier (Sep. 23, 2014 @ 12:02a) |

Anyone can edit this Quick Summary.
There's also an "official tracfone code topic"

If you want to add ZIP codes to this list please enter them at the appropriate place.
As market areas can change at any time, if a ZIP code no longer fits where it is listed please correct it.

A lot of markets have changed from GSM4 to GSM5AT. If you are looking for a zip code to use to insure you get a phone with an At&t SIM card here are my recommendations.
24874 is a COGSM4 market and definitely has no T-Mobile coverage, so any phone ordered for this zip should be a P4 model.

If you want a phone that only shows up in the GSM only markets your best bet would be to use 65046. It is a GSM4 market and there is no T-Mobile service there, so Tracfone shouldn't send a phone other than At&t. 76825 is also a GSM4 zip code but has some T-Mobile roaming coverage. I don't know if Tracfone would send a T-Mobile phone for a roaming market, I personally doubt it.

All Tracfones sold on Walmart's web site are P4 models, meaning they all come with AT&T SIM cards. And some models come with DMFL that are not offered on the Tracfone site.

Tracfone's website is now offering the lovable LG 3280 (refurb.) with DMFL for $24.95 (as of 6-24-2010) REMEMBER THIS IS A CDMA PHONE!

CO = CDMA
some CDMA only zip codes are: CDMA ZIP codes: 51355, 82210, 73949, 12752, as of 24 Aug. 2012.

GSM4 = AT&T
some AT&T only zip codes are: 00902, 65046, 65287, 76801, 76825

GSM5 = TMobile
The ZIPs we had all changed to GSM5AT. Use the COGSM5 zip to get phones with T-Mobile SIM cards. 82001 If there is a deal that only shows up in the GSM5 market, there is no way to get it in your cart since there are no zip codes that are only GSM5.

GSM5AT = T-Mobile with AT&T
some GSM5AT zip codes are: 02115, 04901, 07803, 10550, 14618, 15301, 15931, 18231, 21788, 47803, 54701, 60609, 87107, 93274, 95608, 96003

COGSM4 = CDMA & AT&T
some COGSM4 zip codes are: 04654, 12720, 15927, 24874, 27530, 47978

COGSM5 = CDMA & TMobile
some COGSM5 zip codes are: 23192, 82001

COVERAGE MAPS FOR TRACFONE SERVICE PROVIDERS

GSM Carriers
TMobile Coverage Map
AT&T Coverage Map

CDMA Carriers
Verizon Coverage Map
Alltel Coverage Map
USCellular Coverage Map

Tracfone's Coverage Maps

USEFUL LINKS

This post on my web space
Tutorial - Tracfone Online Transfer from GSM to GSM
Tutorial - Tracfone Online Transfer from CDMA to GSM
Tutorial - Tracfone Online Transfer from GSM to CDMA
Tutorial - Tracfone Online New Phone Activation
Tutorial - How to Get a New Sim Card
Tutorial - How To Test Bonus Codes on the Tracfone Web Site
Order from Tracfone without tying up funds for declined orders
Tracfone and Net10 Sim Card Information
What Information is Stored on My Sim Card
Tracfone Bonus Codes Thread at FatWallet
Tracfone Bonus Codes List- Compliments of Popcorn50
PBush's WebLog - Tracfone Bonus Codes
GO4 Prepaid Forums
Tracfone FAQ
Phone Number Locator
Phone Finder
Telcodata - Phone number locator
The Best Free Zip Code Locator
Phone Spell - What does your phone number spell
Grand Central
Free Ringtones at Mobiles24.com
Mobile Phone EMail Addresses
SMS Tools for Outlook - SMS Addresses for Cell Carriers
Email to SMS
TeleFlip

How much does the text messaging feature cost?
Nokia 1112,
Motorola C139, C261, V176, W175g, W260g, W370, W376g
LG 3280, 1500, CG225, 200C, 300G, 600G
Kyocera K126C
Rate:
0.3 to send, 0.3 to receive.

Nokia 1100, 2600, 3390,
Motorola V170, C155
Rate:
0.3 to send, Free to receive.

Nokia 5100, 1221, 2285, 2126,
Motorola C343, V60, 120
Rate:
0.5 to send, 0.5 to receive.

All the new phones are 0.3 to send and 0.3 to receive.
The older phones were 0.5 both ways then they changed it to 0.3 but offered some phones with free incoming. The V170 was the last phone they offered with free incoming. All the phones since are 0.3 both ways.

Tracfone changed their buy airtime extras. Instead of the box on the right side of the order page they put it at the bottom of the next page.

It is now called Super Size your purchase. Is this McDonalds??

If your phone has Double Minutes for Life (DMFL) you will not be offered these Super Size options, you will be offered the standard 365 days for $49.99, 60 minutes for $10 & 30 minutes for $5 as seen HERE

All phones without DMFL get the Super Size options.

They offer 3 items for additional purchase when buying an airtime card. They may be different depending on which card you choose to purchase on the order page. You can choose any or all of the extras when purchasing the airtime card.

The offer available with the purchase of a $139.99 800 min DMFL 1 yr card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 400 min for $40, additional 200 min for $20.

The offer available with the purchase of a $99.99 400 min 1 year card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 400 min for $25, DMFL now and for life of phone for $39.99

The offer available with the purchase of a $79.99 450 min 90 day card is:
DMFL for $49.99, additional 450 min for $40, additional 200 min for $20.

The offer available with the purchase of a $49.99 DMFL card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 400 min. for $40, additional 200 min. for $20.

The offer available with the purchase of a $39.99 200 min. card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 200 min for $20, additional 120 min for $15.

The offer available with the purchase of a $29.99 120 min card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 120 min for $15, additional 60 min for $10.

The offer available with the purchase of a $19.99 60 min card is:
an additional 365 days for $49.99, additional 60 min for $10, additional 30 min for $5.

Here are screen shots of the offers I get for each different card:

Bonus offers when purchasing the DMFL 1 year 800 minute card
Bonus offers when purchasing the 1 year 400 minute card
Bonus offers when purchasing the 450 minute 90 day card
Bonus offers when purchasing the Double Minute for Life card
Bonus offers when purchasing the 200 minute 90 day card
Bonus offers when purchasing the 120 minute 90 day card
Bonus offers when purchasing the 60 minute 90 day card

I am posting this information because there have been several questions presented to me recently concerning the new phones being sold with T-Mobile SIM cards when we know we prefer AT&T service.

Question:
I have found the Motorola Wxxx at my local retailer, but it has a SIM card for T-Mobile and I want a phone that uses AT&T. Can I just change the SIM card before I ever turn it on? Or is the packaged SIM already tied to the serial number?

First lets refresh: There are two GSM carriers for Tracfone: T-Mobile and AT&T. The SIM cards are different for each carrier. (SIM = Subscriber Identity Module)
T-Mobile SIM cards are designated by T5 on the SIM and the first 6 numbers are 890126....
AT&T sim cards are designated by C4 on the sim and the first 6 numbers are 890141....

Different carriers have better/worse service in many areas. Veteran Tracfone users know one carrier is preferred over the other depending on where the phone will be used. That information can be found in the first and second post of this thread. I may add it to this post later.

You can determine which carrier's SIM card is packaged with a phone by checking the model number on the white sticker located on the bottom of the package.
A P4 in the model number denotes a C4 SIM for AT&T.
A P5 in the model number denotes a T5 SIM for T-Mobile.

Example: TFMTW376P4DM
TFMTW376P4DM - TF = Tracfone
TFMTW376P4DM - MT = Motorola
TFMTW376P4DM - W376 = the model
TFMTW376P4DM - P4 = SIM designation "P4" (AT&T); (P5 = T-Mobile)
TFMTW376P4DM - DM = DMFL (the phone will be enrolled in the double minutes for life program at activation) Phones without the DM are not DMFL phones.

Phones without any sim designation or maybe just a P after the model would be CDMA phones and do not have SIM cards. They use Verizon/Alltel or USCellular as the carriers.

All Tracfones sold at WalMart.com are GSM phones and are P4 models, they all come with "C4" AT&T SIM cards.

Now for the nitty gritty! (SIM = Subscriber Identity Module)

The Tracfone system knows which SIM card is packaged with each new phone and therefore knows what provider the phone will activate with. You can activate a phone without taking it out of the package if the system doesn't ask for SIM number verification.

If you do a normal activation in a ZIP that has coverage for the SIM card in the phone, the system will not prompt you for a SIM card number. The phone will be active in the system with a phone number assigned to the SIM card that shipped with the phone. If there is no service for the provider the system will prompt you for a SIM number and after entering the number for the non provider SIM you will get the message that a new SIM is required for activation, "please call CS".

If you switch the SIM cards thinking you will be activating with the new SIM you aren't. The system will activate the phone using the original SIM number. Your phone won't work because it will have the wrong SIM in it.

You could just put the original SIM in it and it will work. Or you can call CS and they will generally work many, many minutes trying to get your phone to work before they finally give up and send you a new SIM card.

I don't think they have access to see what SIM card the system used to activate the phone because they never tell you that you have the incorrect SIM card in it. They may ask you if it was possible that you mixed up the SIM card with another one but if they could actually see the system info they would know that you did use an incorrect SIM.

If you want to use a SIM card other than the one that shipped with the phone, you have to make the system remove the current sim card number that is associated with the phone's serial number. This has to be done prior to activation.

To do this follow this tutorial Getting a New SIM Card for a NEW Phone. Immediately after completing the SIM request process you can go online and activate the phone using any new SIM card you have. You do not have to wait for the replacement SIM. After requesting a new SIM the system will prompt you for a SIM number during the activation process because it has removed the previous one.

Refurb phones get prompted for the SIM number during activation because the SIM is usually just placed in the box and the system doesn't have a number associated with that phone serial number.

If you need a replacement SIM card for a used phone follow this process. Replacement SIM for a USED Phone

Note: If you change the SIM before you power up the phone the original SIM will still be usable in any phone. If you power up the phone with the original SIM in the phone, that SIM will not be usable except in that same phone for a later reactivation.

I know a lot of you think I am a wizard with Tracfone and know all the ins and outs. Well I want you to know something.

The above is the very first mistake I made when I bought my first Tracfone. I bought the WalMart c139 with DMFL and put the SIM in a different phone and went through the activation process. Four phone calls, 3 SIM cards and almost 2 weeks total before I had a working phone.

It wasn't until sometime later that I realized exactly how things are with the serial/SIM relationship on new phones.

Everyone's knowledge of Tracfone has really progressed in the last 18 months. I don't think anyone here had the answer then if I had asked.

Now we have the answers so don't hesitate to ask the questions!
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
Can anyone confirm nokia 1100 available in any zip code? I couldn't find one. and how do you tell what zone you are in?

rated:
FrugalFreak said: Can anyone confirm nokia 1100 available in any zip code? I couldn't find one. and how do you tell what zone you are in?

If you enter a zip code and want to know what market area you are in, look at the url in the address bar. You can see the "Market= " as part of the address. You can change that to equal any market you want.
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=GSM4........

The Nokia 1100 has not been offered by Tracfone for quite some time.

rated:
I know I haven't seen any. I bought two motorola's and I still prefer the nokia. they are Impossible to come by.

thanks

rated:
My market is coming up as GSM5AT which the op has listed as TMobile/AT&T. Does this mean the tracfone could possibly be only using TMobile towers? If that is the case, then am I better off just getting Tmobile prepaid with their 1000 minutes/1year for $100?

rated:
I am looking for a DMFL card. There was a deal a few months back for cetain zip codes for a phone + DMFL card for ~ $15. Anyone know if there are any current zip codes still active for that deal?

Here are the links to the previous deal:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/774385

rated:
FrugalFreak said: I know I haven't seen any. I bought two motorola's and I still prefer the nokia. they are Impossible to come by.

thanks

Try eBay.

rated:
suppershopper said: My market is coming up as GSM5AT which the op has listed as TMobile/AT&T. Does this mean the tracfone could possibly be only using TMobile towers? If that is the case, then am I better off just getting Tmobile prepaid with their 1000 minutes/1year for $100?

If T-Mobile works well for you, you have the option of accessing them via a T-Mobile ToGo phone *or* a GSM5 / GSM5AT Tracfone. Compare rates and let your wallet guide you

rated:
suppershopper said: My market is coming up as GSM5AT which the op has listed as TMobile/AT&T. Does this mean the tracfone could possibly be only using TMobile towers? If that is the case, then am I better off just getting Tmobile prepaid with their 1000 minutes/1year for $100?

It means Tracfones will use either AT&T or Tmo in that area. They always put their data capable phones (like the W370 and LG225) on AT&T. They might ship non-data phones with either an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM. Tracfone seems to prefer AT&T wherever possible, but they've been known to occasionaly use T-Mobile instead. If you strongly prefer one or the other, you can order the phone using a zip code that only offers that flavor SIM as posted in the 2nd post of this thread.

rated:
If the Tracfone has a TMobile sim card then it would only use TMobile towers in any area that has TMobile. If you loose the signal the phone will not automatically roam to AT&T because you are still in a TMobile service area.

GSM5AT market areas at one time were just GSM5, TMobile only. With AT&T's recent expansions the areas now have both providers. I am speculating that at some time in the future those areas will be GSM4, because Tracfone always prefers AT&T.

Just because TMobile is available in an area does not mean that the service is good. Both providers can be in the area but one may have better coverage than the other. I have TMobile and At&T in my area but TMobile is no good if you get off of the main highway.

I also think that the previous 2fer offers and the DMFL c139 offers were to reduce the excess c139 inventory for TMobile. Those deals were marketed heavily in the GSM5 areas.

If TMobile can provide adequate service for you in your area then personally I think the TMobile prepaid is a more convenient plan.

rated:
Dare2Dream said: I am looking for a DMFL card. There was a deal a few months back for cetain zip codes for a phone + DMFL card for ~ $15. Anyone know if there are any current zip codes still active for that deal?

Here are the links to the previous deal:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/774385

That deal, along with the 2fer deal, has not been available since about the end of March.
Right now the only deal Tracfone is offering with a separate DMFL card is the LG 3280 bundle for $49.99.

rated:
Motorola C139 - $4.99 at Amazon.com - Here is the link
$14.99 plus a $10 rebate. Free Shipping. Limit 2. Rebate offer good thru June 30th.

rated:

This may be interest you. Free after rebate TMobile to Go phone.
Fatwallet Deal

rated:

has tacfone managed to find human beings to answer the phones that understand english in the last year or so?

rated:
jimates said:
GSM5AT market areas at one time were just GSM5, TMobile only. With AT&T's recent expansions the areas now have both providers. I am speculating that at some time in the future those areas will be GSM4, because Tracfone always prefers AT&T.

Hi jimates, great job starting this this thread!

I do wish to take issue with your statement about GSM5AT however. My zip code was originally GSM4, although T5 SIMs would also work if activated here. Stores still only sell P4 phone packages around here. But a few months ago, this zip was changed to GSM5AT. And some of the 2fers I ordered using my own zip code were fullfulled with retail T5 (not refurbished) phones. My guess is they have gotten a better deal on airtime from T-Mobile and are now more willing to activate on T-Mobile than they were in the past.

rated:
jimates said: suppershopper said: My market is coming up as GSM5AT which the op has listed as TMobile/AT&T. Does this mean the tracfone could possibly be only using TMobile towers? If that is the case, then am I better off just getting Tmobile prepaid with their 1000 minutes/1year for $100?
If the Tracfone has a TMobile sim card then it would only use TMobile towers in any area that has TMobile. If you loose the signal the phone will not automatically roam to AT&T because you are still in a TMobile service area.

Just because TMobile is available in an area does not mean that the service is good. Both providers can be in the area but one may have better coverage than the other. I have TMobile and At&T in my area but TMobile is no good if you get off of the main highway.

I also think that the previous 2fer offers and the DMFL c139 offers were to reduce the excess c139 inventory for TMobile. Those deals were marketed heavily in the GSM5 areas.

If TMobile can provide adequate service for you in your area then personally I think the TMobile prepaid is a more convenient plan.

It might not be an issue for you depending on your usage, but from what I understand, The minutes you add to your TMobile phone don't carry over. Once that year on the 1000/1Year card is over your unused minutes expire. Assuming you have a Tracfone with "Double Minutes For Life" and you add the 400min/1year card (400 normal minutes + 400 DMFL + 200 Bonus minutes = 1000 minutes) to your phone, those minutes will last as long as your phone has airtime. ex. add a 60 minute card with 90 days of airtime to a phone after adding a year card and you'll now have 455 days before your minutes expire. Using that senario it is also more expensive to text, and possibly MMS.

I don't know what jimates meant by convenient, he knows more about these things than I do (I don't know alot), but I thought I'd put that out there.

rated:
JimBones said:
It might not be an issue for you depending on your usage, but from what I understand, The minutes you add to your TMobile phone don't carry over. Once that year on the 1000/1Year card is over your unused minutes expire.

I'm just going to quote from the T-Mobile FAQ on that subject, see the last line especially --

When do T-Mobile Prepaid minutes expire?

Unused T-Mobile Prepaid minutes expire over a given amount of time. That time varies based on the dollar denomination of the last refill applied to your account and/or whether or not you have reached Gold Rewards status. For non-Gold reward customers, unused minutes will expire 90 days from the date you applied a $10, $25, or $50 refill to your account.

If you applied a $100 refill to your account or have already reached Gold Reward status, all unused minutes won't expire for one year from the date you last applied airtime to your account.

To help ensure that you never lose your unused minutes, T-Mobile will send you a text message when your account is within 5 days of expiring. That way, you'll have plenty of time to refill your account and carry forward any unused minutes to your new expiration date.

rated:
jimates said: suppershopper said: My market is coming up as GSM5AT which the op has listed as TMobile/AT&T. Does this mean the tracfone could possibly be only using TMobile towers? If that is the case, then am I better off just getting Tmobile prepaid with their 1000 minutes/1year for $100?

That hasn't been true in many if not most areas for over a year now. T-Mobile service uses the service and antennaes from all three (Cingular/AT&T/TMobile) interchangably. Service throughout Virginia was spotty at best when it was just T-Mobile but with the merger first the Cingular towers came on line and then the AT&T ones. We now have service most everywhere and it is mostly on AT&T towers (it will tell you on the phone's display). For the price for having phones for the kids the T-Mobile prepaid ToGo service is the cheapest option with the best reception.

rated:
disposable said: .

has tacfone managed to find human beings to answer the phones that understand english in the last year or so?

I haven't had a problem with them understanding me. I do have much better luck with the female CSRs, and can understand them a little better.
When the men answer the phone they just sound like they would rather be somewhere else, doing something other than helping me.

rated:
WingsOverVirginia said:
That hasn't been true in many if not most areas for over a year now. T-Mobile service uses the service and antennaes from all three (Cingular/AT&T/TMobile) interchangably. Service throughout Virginia was spotty at best when it was just T-Mobile but with the merger first the Cingular towers came on line and then the AT&T ones. We now have service most everywhere and it is mostly on AT&T towers (it will tell you on the phone's display). For the price for having phones for the kids the T-Mobile prepaid ToGo service is the cheapest option with the best reception.

I don't know if you are referring to Tracfones coverage or TMobile to Go.
My reference is to Tracfone based on my experience and research. In my area I have both TMobile and AT&T. TMobile is only good along the main road. AT&T is by far the best signal in my area. I can activate a phone on TMobile and it does not roam to AT&T even when the TMobile signal is near nothing.
What I said was, if a Tracfone is activated on TMobile, it will not roam to AT&T (even though AT&T has a better signal) as long as TMobile service can be picked up.

rated:
JimBones said:
It might not be an issue for you depending on your usage, but from what I understand, The minutes you add to your TMobile phone don't carry over. Once that year on the 1000/1Year card is over your unused minutes expire. Assuming you have a Tracfone with "Double Minutes For Life" and you add the 400min/1year card (400 normal minutes + 400 DMFL + 200 Bonus minutes = 1000 minutes) to your phone, those minutes will last as long as your phone has airtime. ex. add a 60 minute card with 90 days of airtime to a phone after adding a year card and you'll now have 455 days before your minutes expire. Using that senario it is also more expensive to text, and possibly MMS.

I don't know what jimates meant by convenient, he knows more about these things than I do (I don't know alot), but I thought I'd put that out there.

You can activate your TMobile to Go and if you add a $100 card you immediately get Gold Rewards status. This will give you 1150 (1000 + 15%) minutes and 1 year of service. Anytime within that year you can add a $10 card and get more minutes and another 1 year of service starting from the date you add the $10 card. All unused minutes carry over to the new expiration date.
You can add a $10 card on the last day of service and your unused minutes, and the new minutes will carry over for 1 year.

The longer you keep the service the cheaper your average monthly cost is.
The first years cost would be: The phone & $100 card.
The second years cost would be: $10

I wish TMobile service was better in my area, I wouldn't be using Tracfone and Net10.

rated:
alohamora said: JimBones said:
It might not be an issue for you depending on your usage, but from what I understand, The minutes you add to your TMobile phone don't carry over. Once that year on the 1000/1Year card is over your unused minutes expire.

I'm just going to quote from the T-Mobile FAQ on that subject, see the last line especially --

When do T-Mobile Prepaid minutes expire?

Unused T-Mobile Prepaid minutes expire over a given amount of time. That time varies based on the dollar denomination of the last refill applied to your account and/or whether or not you have reached Gold Rewards status. For non-Gold reward customers, unused minutes will expire 90 days from the date you applied a $10, $25, or $50 refill to your account.

If you applied a $100 refill to your account or have already reached Gold Reward status, all unused minutes won't expire for one year from the date you last applied airtime to your account.

To help ensure that you never lose your unused minutes, T-Mobile will send you a text message when your account is within 5 days of expiring. That way, you'll have plenty of time to refill your account and carry forward any unused minutes to your new expiration date.

Thanks. I looked for that information but couldn't find it.

rated:
alohamora said:

Hi jimates, great job starting this this thread!

I do wish to take issue with your statement about GSM5AT however. My zip code was originally GSM4, although T5 SIMs would also work if activated here.
Stores still only sell P4 phone packages around here. But a few months ago, this zip was changed to GSM5AT.
And some of the 2fers I ordered using my own zip code were fullfilled with retail T5 (not refurbished) phones. My guess is they have gotten a better deal on airtime from T-Mobile and are now more willing to activate on T-Mobile than they were in the past.

although T5 SIMs would also work if activated here.
They would work but Tracfone prefers AT&T, that is why it was GSM4

Stores still only sell P4 phone packages around here.
That is because Tracfone prefers AT&T

But a few months ago, this zip was changed to GSM5AT. And some of the 2fers I ordered using my own zip code were fullfilled with retail T5 (not refurbished) phones.
All the 2fer deals were filled with phones that had TMobile sim cards, no matter what the zip code. The 2fer was only available in GSM5 and GSM5AT markets because they all had TMobile sims and could only be offered where TMobile service was available.

That is why I mentioned about the 2fer possibly being offered as an aid to reduce the inventory of c139s with TMobile sims. AT&T is steadily expanding service, and the need for the TMobile phones is far less than it was.

Your zip code could have changed for several reasons.
They could have expanded or combined your market area to include areas that were GSM5 before. We don't know what the geographical boundaries are for the market areas.

If you notice the only GSM phones offered in the GSM5 and COGSM5 areas are the C139 and the 2 new Motorola phones. AT&T is not available in those areas and therefore there is no web or MMS service in those areas. The nicer phones will work in those areas with the proper sim card, but you would not get the use of the features of the phones.

rated:
I added links for coverage maps for the major carriers.
you will find them in the 1st post and the Quick Summary

rated:
jimates said:
You can activate your TMobile to Go and if you add a $100 card you immediately get Gold Rewards status. This will give you 1150 (1000 + 15%) minutes and 1 year of service.

The website says that the 15% bonus is already included in the 1 year card. "A $100 refill value already includes the 15% more minutes bonus." It shows that in a chart as well.

rated:
jimates said: WingsOverVirginia said:

I don't know if you are referring to Tracfones coverage or TMobile to Go.
My reference is to Tracfone based on my experience and research. In my area I have both TMobile and AT&T. TMobile is only good along the main road. AT&T is by far the best signal in my area. I can activate a phone on TMobile and it does not roam to AT&T even when the TMobile signal is near nothing.
What I said was, if a Tracfone is activated on TMobile, it will not roam to AT&T (even though AT&T has a better signal) as long as TMobile service can be picked up.

I am refering to T-Mobile service. A T-Mobile phone will use any Cingular, AT&T or T-Mobile tower for service without roaming. The T-Mobile phone will use whatever signal is the strongest. Apparently your Tracfone unit does not do the same. We have 3 T-Mobile branded handsets that are activated on T-Mobile ToGo service. It sounds like anyone would be better off just getting a T-Mobile phone and not bothering with Tracfone.

rated:
jimatesYour zip code could have changed for severa said: l reasons.
They could have expanded or combined your market area to include areas that were GSM5 before. We don't know what the geographical boundaries are for the market areas.

There never were any GSM5 areas anywhere near here, this zip and all the surrounding areas used to be strictly GSM4.

I agree that they were probably reducing inventory of retail phones with tmobile SIMs with those 2fers.

Anything I order from Tracfone these days, I order with a GSM4 zip to be sure they don't send me a Tmobile SIM. (Tmobile may work, but the signal is weaker in some places I go.)

rated:
WingsOverVirginia said:

I am refering to T-Mobile service. A T-Mobile phone will use any Cingular, AT&T or T-Mobile tower for service without roaming. The T-Mobile phone will use whatever signal is the strongest. Apparently your Tracfone unit does not do the same. We have 3 T-Mobile branded handsets that are activated on T-Mobile ToGo service. It sounds like anyone would be better off just getting a T-Mobile phone and not bothering with Tracfone.

I also have T-Mobile ToGo and I really wish it worked that way, using whatever signal is strongest. I've tried multiple sims and multiple phones and I can't even force the ToGo phone on to AT&T as long as there is any native T-Mobile signal to be found.

Were your phones originally contract phones? I remember hearing once that contract phones could be forced onto a different carrier.

rated:
alohamora said: WingsOverVirginia said:

I also have T-Mobile ToGo and I really wish it worked that way, using whatever signal is strongest. I've tried multiple sims and multiple phones and I can't even force the ToGo phone on to AT&T as long as there is any native T-Mobile signal to be found.

Were your phones originally contract phones? I remember hearing once that contract phones could be forced onto a different carrier.

Nope, all ToGo phones most bought at Target clearance. The Nokia 2610 is the newest, picked up a few weeks ago. It doesn't matter if it is set to manual or automatic service select either way it chooses AT&T here at the house. It will switch over to T-Mobile only where the signal is strong like along major highways. It may have to do with geographic regions where the reciprical agreement is in effect, but I know it works this way on the East coast (DC, VA, NC) the Midwest (Chicago area) and Las Vegas (at least it did last summer when my son was out visiting my sister).

rated:
WingsOverVirginia said:

It sounds like anyone would be better off just getting a T-Mobile phone and not bothering with Tracfone

I wish that statement were true. TMobile does not have even a small percentage of coverage compared to AT&T or Verizon. I tested TMobile to Go right here at home before going to Tracfone/Net10. The service is great at my house because I live on the only major East West highway across Southern Pa. But away from this highway and I had no service.

You are with the majority of TMobile to Go users that say they don't understand why everyone doesn't just go with TMobile to Go. But there are countless numbers of people that have tried it and the coverage is no good in comparison.

If you stay around the major metropolitan areas or the major highways you will probably have no complaints with TMobile service. But the overall service sucks when you consider the vast amount of rural areas in the US.

alohamora said: I also have T-Mobile ToGo and I really wish it worked that way, using whatever signal is strongest. I've tried multiple sims and multiple phones and I can't even force the ToGo phone on to AT&T as long as there is any native T-Mobile signal to be found.
Now this statement sounds more like the others that I have read concerning this matter.

rated:
Tracfones At Radio Shack

W370 for $29.99
Ad came out today, good thru June 14th, while supplies last.
No mention of double minutes. If anyone confirms please post the results.

LG 3280 for $24.97 not available online

Kyocera K126 for $9.99 in stock online

rated:

rated:
The Dollar General here has the Motorola C139 and the Kyocera KY126 advertised on a promotional flyer I picked up for $15 each, and it also says there's a $5 rebate on each phone in their Book Of Mail-In Rebates......

rated:
New Tracfone Bundle offered today.

Motorola C261 bundled with a FREE Double Minutes for Life Card
$39.99 and they are still offering free shipping.

Currently only offered in AT&T service areas. GSM4 and GSM5AT markets.

Note: Since the C261 is only $29.99, how can they offer it with a FREE Double Minutes for Life Card for $39.99.

The c261 is now $39.99 for just the phone, so the card is now 100% free.

rated:
jimates said:
Note: Since the C261 is only $29.99, how can they offer it with a FREE Double Minutes for Life Card for $39.99.

Both the phone and the bundle have the same promotional code applied to it so you may be able to get the phone and the double minute card for 29.99 instead of 39.99. I'm not sure how that all works though.

rated:
JimBones said: jimates said:

Both the phone and the bundle have the same promotional code applied to it so you may be able to get the phone and the double minute card for 29.99 instead of 39.99. I'm not sure how that all works though.
The promo for the phone with the free card shows the regular price of the phone to be $39.99. So the phone offer by itself must be an unadvertised special.

Net10 has a Father's Day bundle. Tracfone better hurry up or the orders won't arrive in time.

rated:
Never mind, I found it!

Thanks Jim.

rated:
jimates said: New Tracfone Bundle offered today.

Motorola C261 bundled with a FREE Double Minutes for Life Card
$39.99 and they are still offering free shipping.

Currently only offered in AT&T service areas. GSM4 and GSM5AT markets.

OK, I guess I didn't find it. Does anyone know a zip code that will offer me this bundle?

Skipping 3031 Messages...
rated:
yesidonoitall said:   ??? on Tracfone CDMA

Is wehter TF will use Verizon, US Cellular or the other CDMA predetermined  by where TF ships or sells a particular model?
Or is it at the time the person activates it based on their living location or zip code service is asked for?

Most Tracfone CDMA phones will activate on Verizon, US Cellular only if Verizon is not available.  Tracfone has never activated with Sprint.  The others are utilized for roaming only, not activation.  The major determining factor is whose signal is available at the location the phone is in when activated.  Anything other than Verizon should be considered as a distant second best.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234577
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014