• filter:
  • 179808182 83
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
tracfancier said:   Tracfone Verizon 4G LTE BYOP
Still unannounced by Tracfone, BUT.....
Reports are that Tracfone has redesigned their BYOP page.
Several people have tested 4G LTE Verizon phones and have reached the point of activation, but they stopped there.
Updates to follow.

Maybe I'll pick up a phone to try - I was one of the first to activate on the current 3G BYOP but that's only because I had a spare Verizon phone when I read about BYOP popping up online.

rated:
Just be cautious not to lose money on something that is yet to be confirmed.

ANOTHER DISCUSSION:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/02/it-looks-like-you-can-no...

rated:
Shopcelldeals has reduced their price on the Tracfone Ultimate 2 with the one year card. If you JUST recently purchased, request a credit to your method of payment for the difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Ultimate-2-LG-L41C-Smartphone-1200-Mi... 

rated:
See if you can beat this price for a new Tracfone Android and a ONE YEAR AIRTIME CARD.
no tax, fees or shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-Valet-Android-Smartphone-1200-Minute... 

rated:
For shopcelldeals I am seeing this

This seller only allows a buyer to purchase 2 items within 10 days.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   For shopcelldeals I am seeing this

This seller only allows a buyer to purchase 2 items within 10 days.

See if this suggests a reason for that policy (a closer relationship to Tracfone)
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1856664-seems-like-eb...

rated:
Can someone please explain how Tracfone is affected by the new rules that require prepaid carriers to unlock phones one year after the phones were activated?
http://www.cnet.com/news/new-regulation-requires-us-carriers-to-... 

I am most interested in finding out which carriers (Verizon  / AT&T etc.) I might be able to use an unlocked Tracfone device on.

rated:
I have seen little discussion on your question.
The single bucket phones with their air time tank would require more than unlocking..
The Tracfone branded Androids (also the BYOP Program) use Verizon service only.

People have been able to activate Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk Verizon based Smartphones on Page Plus and I BELIEVE other Verizon MVNO`s. Verizon has recently cracked down on their MVNO`s using flashed Sprint phones, mainly because it skirted Verizon making any money previous to the phone being accepted on prepaid.

UPDATE:  And now there is this:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/02/tracfone-backtracks-on-p... 

rated:

rated:
Interesting article about Page Plus and Tracfone:
http://www.phonenews.com/as-page-plus-problems-mount-six-reasons...

rated:
I had been using a Tracfone LG840 for ~ 2+ years. Great service in my area w/AT&T. I paid less than $200 for over 2 years of service and a phone. I decided to get a smart phone (android or windows) but Tracfone uses Verizon for their android offerings so I moved over to H2O. I would have preferred to stay with Tracfone and would have if their smartphones used AT&T.

rated:
I bought this bundle and just transfered minutes and service days from my dumb phone to the ZTE Valet. The transfer took a couple of hours to complete. My dumb phone used to have 1 year of service left, and after the transfer the Valet now has two years of service. However, the 300 bonus minutes on the dumb phone from promo code 67988 were lost after the transfer.

rated:
vozo said:   I bought this bundle and just transfered minutes and service days from my dumb phone to the ZTE Valet. The transfer took a couple of hours to complete. My dumb phone used to have 1 year of service left, and after the transfer the Valet now has two years of service. However, the 300 bonus minutes on the dumb phone from promo code 67988 were lost after the transfer.
  I presume you added the 400 minute 1 year airtime card (received with the ZTE Valet) to  your old phone, with a promo code that added 300 bonus minutes to the old phone:  Then transferred all to the ZTE Valet.  The Glitch has now been modified to allow doubling of transferred service days, but no transfer of bonus code minutes added shortly before the transfer!  Are my presumptions correct?

rated:
Yes, exactly. I guess if I had waited a few weeks before I transfer to the Valet the 300 bonus minutes might not be affected.

rated:
The 300 promo minutes should have also transferred to the valet. This is just another example of Tracfone system incompetence. There have been cases of only the last added airtime transferring, rather than the old and new combined. You could always contact Tracfone Miami. Regular CS has only a slight probability of being helpful in this situation. Tracfone has never told anyone they could not add to the dumbphone before transferring to the Smartphone. If questioned, just state the common sense logic of doing it this way.

Begin by saying the transfer was 300 minutes short of the correct total.  Do not mention promo minutes unless they bring it up.  Never give them the ammunition to come up with a stupid incompetent idea (guess) for why it did not go correctly.

rated:
IT IS OFFICIAL!!! Verizon 4G LTE has come to Tracfone. And your choice of phones seems to be unlimited.

~~IsLand_BoY has just made the opening announcement. on Howards Foruns
Woohoo!! It's a GO! I am officially activated on LTE with TracFone! Speeds are throttled like Straight Talk but no big deal. It's still 2-3x faster than 3G with reduced latency. More importantly, the selection of phones becomes much bigger and better. I'm excited! All I did was transfer my service online. Customer care will just say no 4G on TracFone. I need to get my hands on another Verizon LTE phone to see if I can move the SIM card around.

Be aware:  It is in its infancy, not even officially announced by Tracfone, yet up and running..  As is the norm, most Tracfone CSR`s will not even be aware of it yet, so expect roadblocks to occur.

Howard Forums Thread.  Begin with post # 2490  on page 166 for details and new developments:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1817171-Tracfone-BYOP...

rated:
tracfancier, Tracfone's official stance is that LTE service/phone activation is not available. I don't think the CSR's are ignorant. They have the LTE infrastructure all set up and ready and I bet there will be an announcement and their line up of 4G LTE phones available for sale thereafter. Until then, I bet any calls you make to be assisted by CSR will be shutdown, so DO NOT CALL them! Avoid any messages from Alex in Howard Forum if you ever post your status/questions there. I would like to see more people successfully activate their LTE phone on their network. Let the floodgates open!

rated:
tracfancier said:   IT IS OFFICIAL!!! Verizon 4G LTE has come to Tracfone. And your choice of phones seems to be unlimited.

Woohoo!! It's a GO! I am officially activated on LTE with TracFone! Speeds are throttled like Straight Talk but no big deal. It's still 2-3x faster than 3G with reduced latency. More importantly, the selection of phones becomes much bigger and better. I'm excited! All I did was transfer my service online. Customer care will just say no 4G on TracFone. I need to get my hands on another Verizon LTE phone to see if I can move the SIM card around.

Be aware:  It is in its infancy, not even officially announced by Tracfone, yet up and running..  As is the norm, most Tracfone CSR`s will not even be aware of it yet, so expect roadblocks to occur.

Howard Forums Thread.  Begin with post # 2490  on page 166 for details and new developments:

One question, Sim card on Verizon?  What is that about?  I thought Verizon was CDMA only, therefore NO SIM CARDS!

rated:
pennsatuckian said:   
tracfancier said:   IT IS OFFICIAL!!! Verizon 4G LTE has come to Tracfone. And your choice of phones seems to be unlimited.

One question, Sim card on Verizon?  What is that about?  I thought Verizon was CDMA only, therefore NO SIM CARDS!

Times, they are a changing

rated:
They will send you a SIM for Verizon, this has been coming for some time. Page Plus (another TracFone company) was the first to be allowed LTE access and Straight Talk also has it now. Verizon is a CDMA provider and voice still travels on the old CDMA network in most areas but you need the SIM to get LTE (4G) data access.

rated:
Let me back everyone up on the above referenced thread to the first discovery of LTE. Not everyone has found even ordering a SIM to be easy. There are problems at this stage of the program. And the last to be informed Tracfone CSR`s. as usual, are making things worse. Begin reading with the first post (#2296) on page 154 of the thread:

And it is correct that for LTE, Verizon has elected to utilize a SIM card. 
LTE refers to data transmission only (including MMS).  Talk and SMS is still without a SIM.
But Verizon VoLTE is up and coming (Voice over LTE).

rated:
For many 4G LTE is not about increased speed or bandwidth, rather it is about updated phone choice and capabilities. With LTE you can now choose from the current years list of models and not X year old model leftovers with outdated OS and Apps.

But you may want to stand by while Tracfone works this out of its current preemie stage.

rated:
A separate thread for the Tracfone Verizon 4G LTE BYOP Program has now been started by IsLand_BoY at Howards Forums.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1857627-DISCUSSION-Tr... 

Also a thread at Turk Forums started on 2/3/15::
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/5754845/1/#new 

IMPORTANT:  There is only one place to get the Tracfone branded LTE SIM card, from Tracfone online.  So when they ask if you have a SIM card, you MUST answer NO, and have them send you one.

rated:
Here is a post by cv91913 on another forum that I believe will be shown to be accurate:

Currently, the phones that might work with Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP will have to support Verizon's bands. For Voice and Text they need to support CDMA 800 / 1900 bands. To use the 4g LTE data access, it must support Verizon's LTE 700 (Band 13). Phones that have that support are probably going to be Verizon branded phones. Sims are somewhat interchangeable but to take a Sim from one phone and plop it into a different phone, the receiving phone must support the appropriate bands. In pure GSM phones, talk/text/data are all controlled by the Sim. In the Tracfone/Verizon system, talk/text are CDMA and controlled by activating the phone by purchasing the NAC and data is controlled by the Sim they send you. Bottom line is...people who think they will be able activate one phone on TF LTE BYOP and then just move the Sim to a different phone are probably going to be disappointed. But, your mileage may vary!

UPDATE:
My current thinking has changed.  Indications are that the Tracfone service is on the 4G LTE SIM card.  This could mean that the SIM could be moved to other Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone  Stay tuned - time will tell how Tracfone/Verizon has actually set this up. 

rated:
Have a small issue.

Got a Tracfone LG 800, which I will never use, again. I bought an Android phone, which I love. Wanted to play with it before I committed to it, fully.

It's been working great for months, now.

I'd like to transfer my minutes/days to my Android from my LG 800. Tracfone tells me that I can't do this without transferring the number, also. I don't want to do that. I've already got the Android number established with friends and family. And, whomever had the LG 800 number before I did, I keep getting their calls.

Is there a way to transfer the minutes/days to my new Android phone, without porting the number, also?

rated:
Peale said:   Have a small issue.

Got a Tracfone LG 800, which I will never use, again. I bought an Android phone, which I love. Wanted to play with it before I committed to it, fully.

It's been working great for months, now.

I'd like to transfer my minutes/days to my Android from my LG 800. Tracfone tells me that I can't do this without transferring the number, also. I don't want to do that. I've already got the Android number established with friends and family. And, whomever had the LG 800 number before I did, I keep getting their calls.

Is there a way to transfer the minutes/days to my new Android phone, without porting the number, also?

You have no idea how close you came to stumbling into Tracfone HELL.  If the airtime and phone number transfer from the 800 had actually gone through, it would have wiped the present airtime and phone number from your Android, never to be seen again  This new rule/procedure/result has been in effect since May and has been mentioned here several times since May.  No longer can you combine two Tracfones

Smartphones are a special case.  To accept the forced phone number change, a Smartphone must first de-activate, which wipes the airtime and phone number (which they have kept no record of - so they wouldn't even know how much to add back).  Than the transferred airtime and phone number are applied.  They have decided to apply this procedure to Dumbphones also, to simplify procedures for the CSR`s.  Makes no sense, but this is Tracfone!  You must keep current on the changes and pitfalls, often unannounced.

Try calling 1-800-876-5753, normal Miami business hours.  You need to reach the operator or you will be forwarded to the normal No Service Customer Service.  Tell the operator you have a problem that requires the help of customer Escalations.  When you get someone ask where they are located or their department, just to be sure it is the Miami office.  Hopefully you will reach a kind knowledgeable CSR willing to make the effort to skirt the rules.  Make sure they understand the final result you are after and have made a record of airtime to add back before it vanishes.  A dumbphone has parameters 0 and 30 as a coded record of its airtime, but a smartphone has no such record.  Before calling Miami I recommend you make a record of the parameters from the 800 (code entry mode -  *#0  and *#30) and do a remaining airtime inquiry of your Android and print or capture a screenshot of the talk/text/data/service end date.

rated:
I've read about the issues. I was hoping there was an easier way than convincing someone.

I signed up for minutes protection. There's only 140ish minutes on the phone, I'll just make a bunch of calls on this phone in the next month. Cost me six bucks, and less aggrivation. Then I'll take the coverage off of the phone.

rated:
Peale said:   I've read about the issues. I was hoping there was an easier way than convincing someone.

I signed up for minutes protection. There's only 140ish minutes on the phone, I'll just make a bunch of calls on this phone in the next month. Cost me six bucks, and less aggrivation. Then I'll take the coverage off of the phone.

You must convince a higher up.  Tracfone does not trust their regular CSR with the ability to add airtime at will.  In fact if you convince a CSR to do something Tracfone does not like, YOU are the one held responsible, not the CSR.  They punish YOU.

To anyone wanting to test an Android, there is the online only special 30M/30D for $10, to activate with.  All Androids and BYOP`s are automatically given TMFL status.  Do not get attached to the temporary number you are given, as you will lose it when transferring airtime and phone number from your dumbphone (but your days of service will double, so load the dumbphone with days before transferring because supersizing is not offered with a smartphone - so days only will be hard to come by..  Transferring (upgrading) to another Smartphone will double the days again.  Load up now before Tracfone realizes how much forced airtime purchases will not be needed for years.

You must buy airtime online (any size) to be offered supersizing for the dumbphone.  The 365D supersizing is $50 added to the airtime purchase.  But that $50 extra purchase becomes 2 years with the transfer.  A better deal is a cheap bundle of a phone with a physical 400M/365D airtime card.  Put the card on the dumbphone then transfer to the Smartphone and see the days double.  Just last week SCD`s had the Valet bundle for $70 " delivered".  With a promo that puts 1500M/365 days on the dumbphone.  NO PROMO CODES WITH THE SMARTPHONES, since they TRIPLE-TRIPLE.  When transferring to a smartphone you only get the second triple, since you already received the first on the dumbphone - SMFL or DMFL or TMFL.

Any more questions, just ask.  There is a lot to know.  After all, Tracfone is do-it-yourself - your basically on your own.

rated:
Peale said:   I've read about the issues. I was hoping there was an easier way than convincing someone.

RE:
I signed up for minutes protection

What is that please

rated:
tracfancier said:   Any more questions, just ask.  There is a lot to know.  After all, Tracfone is do-it-yourself - your basically on your own.

I am learning a lot from your reply.
Here is my situation:
Have a "dubmphone" with a lot of minutes but just over 40 days service. Have ordered a smartphone (the Alcatel bundle through HSN) and expect it delivered in a week or two. Plan is to port the current number, transfer minutes/days from current phone as well as use the 1200 that comes with the smartphone bundle.
Are there any things to watch out for?
Is there something I can do now to get better value during the transfer?

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   

RE:
I signed up for minutes protection

What is that please

Although it protects your minutes (also phone number) from service deactivation it is correctly called

~~Service Protection Plan                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Enroll and protect your service by receiving a 30-day service extension if needed. Enrollment is FREE! You only pay $5.99 if you reach your Service End Date.

It is found under Value Plans
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/ValuePlans?app=TRACFONE&lang=en

You must give them your Credit card number.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
tracfancier said:   Any more questions, just ask.  There is a lot to know.  After all, Tracfone is do-it-yourself - your basically on your own.
  I am learning a lot from your reply.
Here is my situation:
Have a "dubmphone" with a lot of minutes but just over 40 days service. Have ordered a smartphone (the Alcatel bundle through HSN) and expect it delivered in a week or two. Plan is to port the current number, transfer minutes/days from current phone as well as use the 1200 that comes with the smartphone bundle.
Are there any things to watch out for?
Is there something I can do now to get better value during the transfer?

Single bucket dumbphone transferred to a triple bucket smartphone can never be moved back to a dumbphone, only to another smartphone. 
Smartphones come with no free starter airtime.
Airtime and phone number must transfer together.
Once a smartphone is activated you can not transfer anything to it again, including a new phone number, without possible CSR assistance.
There is a glitch with the Smartphones.  Airtime days TRANSFERED to a Smartphone double (NOT added airtime).

Only shopcelldeals bundles an actual airtime card.  HSN and QVC have you call a number to have the airtime applied.  There have been reports you are stopped from putting HSN smartphone bundled airtime on a dumbphone to receive the doubled year during the transfer to activate the smartphone.

If you could put the bundled airtime on the dumbphone (using a promo code for the last time) and then transfer to activate the smartphone you would double your days.

rated:
Tracfone Launches New Verizon-Powered MVNO called Total Wireless only available at WalMart

http://www.phonenews.com/america-movil-launches-new-verizon-powe... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYaQm2QEh8

rated:
IsLand_BoY has confirmed that 4G LTE SIM swaping is possible.

His post at HoFo:

SIM swapping is a GO!! Got my Odyssey today, put my original TracFone SIM in (from the S3), and it worked! I'm pretty sure this means a prepaid Verizon LTE phone will work, just not for the initial activation.
Wow. Can't believe we have LTE and we can swap the SIMs as we please apparently!

http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=122256&d...

NOTE:  Only IsLand_BoY has received a LTE SIM from Tacfone.  Others have ordered and had their Credit Cards charged, but no SIM yet delivered.

rated:
I have an LG800 with 290 minutes and 47 days that I plan to move to an Alcatel A382G. With all the talk about what happens when you go from a dumb phone to a smart phone, will I still be able to activate the Alcatel 382G with it's 1 year service and keep the 47 days and 290 minutes from the LG800?

Can I do it on the Tracfone web site?

rated:
FYI:
RE: Alcatel 382G with it's 1 year service

In buying those, not all have 1 year service
Be sure it is listed as having 1 year
The current ones at shopcelldeals do not have that.
"Someone" here here did get a bunch from him when he had them, it was awhile ago..
ALL the ones I got have the AT&T P4 sim card

rated:
tracfancier said:   Tracfone Launches New Verizon-Powered MVNO called Total Wireless only available at WalMart

Interesting. I wonder what the differentiator will be between the other Carlos brands though (Page Plus & Straight Talk & Tracfone primarily) as they all have 4G LTE on Verizon. Unless "Total Wireless" does something special like maybe not throttle the LTE way down, doesn't seem too compelling. At least for me.

rated:
WinterTexan said:   I have an LG800 with 290 minutes and 47 days that I plan to move to an Alcatel A382G. With all the talk about what happens when you go from a dumb phone to a smart phone, will I still be able to activate the Alcatel 382G with it's 1 year service and keep the 47 days and 290 minutes from the LG800?

Can I do it on the Tracfone web site?

The 800 and 382 are both dumbphones. The smartphone Info doesn`t totally apply.
You are now forced by TF to move airtime and phone number together.
The 382 will automatically get 10 or 20 minutes and 365 days (not 60) when activated.
Activate the 382 by transferring 290M/47D/phone number from the 800.  The airtimes will combine. 
Do not later transfer anything else to the 382.  No combining of phone airtime anymore.
TF appears to be making it difficult to harvest airtime off cheap offers.

You can do the transfer-activation online.  If the receiving phone is already active, you must call.
If you have both phones in a Tracfone account, you can do everything online from there - simpler & safer.

With the smartphones, a transfer mistake could wipe the airtime and phone number off an activated phone.
There are so many pitfalls that Tracfone never warns you about. 

rated:
cpabster said:   
tracfancier said:   Tracfone Launches New Verizon-Powered MVNO called Total Wireless only available at WalMart

Interesting. I wonder what the differentiator will be between the other Carlos brands though (Page Plus & Straight Talk & Tracfone primarily) as they all have 4G LTE on Verizon. Unless "Total Wireless" does something special like maybe not throttle the LTE way down, doesn't seem too compelling. At least for me.

There are a few threads on it so far:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1857835-Total-Wireles...
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/5764765/1/

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 179808182 83
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015