• filter:
  • 186878889 90
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
MelissaB said:   
asuka said:   BYOD is a good deal on Tracfone if you want to use a 4G LTE device. The problem with Page Plus CDMA is that you are limited to the Moto G, and only if you got one before the non-VZW CDMA device ban went into effect.

Now you have to wait 6 months for a VZW PP Moto G or E to work. Or go without any smartphone functionality.

If I were in your situation cpabster, I would carry two device, a Page Plus backup dumbphone (like a waterproof G'zOne) and a Tracfone LTE device.

To be clear... does the Page Plus dumbphone allow roaming while Tracfone does not?  That would solve my problem of no service while traveling, and I'm going to be traveling quite a bit in the next year because I have a sick relative.

Verizon has allowed PP roaming, but you pay additional for it, at about 25 cents per minute.  Someone with recent PP experience could better fill you in on the particulars.  Verizon has always shown PP preferential treatment.  I do not know what the future holds for PP since they were bought out by Tracfone, as many changes are being made that are making PP more like the other familiar Tracfone family of Companies.

rated:
Tracfone's data is slow compared to Verizon postpay, but it's a good option for either a backup phone... or for those that need Verizon native coverage because T-Mobile is too weak in their area.

Page Plus 3G-only devices seem to allow roaming in USCC and legacy Alltel/Sprint markets that were part of a Verizon free roaming pact. Those do seem to have been stripped from Tracfone's BYOD LTE plans. In the vast majority of areas, coverage is the same as USCC/Alltel are now extremely rural-only networks where Verizon isn't available.

rated:
People have successfully activated Tracfone Company Androids with PP in the past. If you can verify it is still possible, then consider this

http://www.brandsmartusa.com/Net10/180024/L34C+Smartphone.htm

rated:
Yes you can roam on Page Plus BUT it costs 20 cents per minute (voice and text only - no data roaming) and you have to double-dial.

Selectel has the roaming included (Verizon Postpaid Coverage) and is another option if you need Verizon coverage. They have a $75 yearly plan similar to Page Plus $80/year.

rated:
TL;DR activation attempt...

Requested a BYOD nano SIM, got a micro-standard combo. Guess I have to call customer service now. Sigh.

rated:
asuka said:   TL;DR activation attempt...

Requested a BYOD nano SIM, got a micro-standard combo. Guess I have to call customer service now. Sigh.

Nano is smaller right, cant you cut it down

rated:
Yes, but I don't want to risk damaging an iPhone 5S... I've seen cut SIMs ruin the SIM contacts as the plastic shards grip the SIM sockets during entry/ejection.

Not worth the risk IMO.

rated:
asuka said:   Yes, but I don't want to risk damaging an iPhone 5S... I've seen cut SIMs ruin the SIM contacts as the plastic shards grip the SIM sockets during entry/ejection.

Not worth the risk IMO.

Use the nail file...........maybe

rated:
so is smartphone to smartphone glitch no longer working? when was the last time it worked for someone? is dumbphone to smartphone glitch still working?

rated:
avab said:   so is smartphone to smartphone glitch no longer working? when was the last time it worked for someone? is dumbphone to smartphone glitch still working?
  Smartphone to smartphone has NOT worked for anyone since about 3/17.
Quite a few reports of it working for dumbphone to smartphone transfers-activations.

rated:
asuka said:   Yes, but I don't want to risk damaging an iPhone 5S... I've seen cut SIMs ruin the SIM contacts as the plastic shards grip the SIM sockets during entry/ejection.

Not worth the risk IMO.

Many phone shops have a machine for cutting them down.
Cutting them free hand is seldom recommended by anyone.

Consider the risk involved in initiating a transfer to, or activation of, a damaged card.  What happens to your airtime and phone number as they reside somewhere in limbo?

rated:
You can buy the cutters cheap. I think I have 4 or 5 of them and none cost more than $5 or $6 each. Sure beats a pair of scissors and frustration

I agree on the adapters - you have to be careful. I recently destroyed a Hotspot box that used a Nano-SIM because I had cut one but the nano was too "thick" and ripped up the contacts in the SIM socket. Expensive mistake...

rated:
Never mind ... I think I figured it out

rated:
fiscalkid said:   What is dumbphone to smartphone glitch, and how does it work?
  I think you should continue using dumbphone.

rated:
I just discovered the groove ip app to let the phone use wifi to make in and out calls.
You must be able to log into the wifi spots
It saves using the tracfone minutes

>>I actually put it on a phone that was a buyer return for some unknown reason.
It was a zte swirl StraightTalk that came with the 30 day $45 service,
She stole the sim card and micro sd card...
She used the sim to transfer to another phone she had and thought she would get a complete refund, she did not.

rated:
I can't quite figure out if this 3-bucket system (TMFL)  would work for me.

I currently have Pageplus with a (3g only) smartphone and use an $80 pay-per-min card per year (around). Weighted primarily to voice, some texts, a tiny bit of data.

It seems to me, it would cost me almost double that to switch to a TMFL tracfone (LG L41c for example), as the cheapest "refill" (since my mins would run out first) would cost me around $100 for a 400 min (which would get tripled to 1200) card.. So, per year, for my talk habits, ~$200.

Further, when adding a "400" min/365 day $100 card, that would dump 1200 "units" into each of the talk/text/data buckets..

Is everything I said above correct? Is there any cheaper way to meet my yearly usage on tracfone?

(I was initially looking at just getting the LG L41c to replace my current smartphone on Pageplus which is how I came here....)

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   I just discovered the groove ip app to let the phone use wifi to make in and out calls.
You must be able to log into the wifi spots
It saves using the tracfone minutes

>>I actually put it on a phone that was a buyer return for some unknown reason.
It was a zte swirl StraightTalk that came with the 30 day $45 service,
She stole the sim card and micro sd card...
She used the sim to transfer to another phone she had and thought she would get a complete refund, she did not.

If she activated the SIM with ST service, when the phone is reactivated with ST service,  her SIM with her phone number and airtime on it becomes history.  In most cases you must keep the phone that was used to activate the service on the SIM.  Even ordering a replacement SIM could kill the previous SIM.

If she put the phone in an account, she may have tied it to her, so a new owner would be shut out until she removed it.

rated:
JIMBOE:

Every TracFone Android and TF 3G BYOP and TF 4G LTE BYOP is given TMFL. So as you said airtime is first tripled and then this tripled amount goes into each of the three buckets (referred to as triple-triple).

The three buckets are totally separate, you cannot pull from one to replenish another.
Tracfone only sells Data only airtime cards, which do not triple or add days.
You can purchase the 400M/365D card at a discount (no tax, fees, shipping:
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone+one+y... 

There are other airtime purchase options. You need to have something in each bucket to use that bucket and you need to have days of service remaining (click the following link and then click "airtime" near the top of the page). Everything stacks, you never lose what you have left over when adding more airtime.

http://www.tracfone.com/got_a_tracfone.jsp 

Unlike PP, Tracfone does not offer roaming (even at extra cost).
Tracfone is structured for low usage customers. I am not sure what you were using in a year with PP.

rated:
tracfancier said:   ... Tracfone only sells Data only airtime cards, which do not triple or add days.
You can purchase the 400M/365D card at a discount (no tax, fees, shipping:
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone+one+y... 

I use about an $80 pageplus card per yr,, primarily talk, much less txt, only a drop of data... so it seems tracfone would be much more expensive for my needs, no?

rated:
TracFone is better than Page Plus for people who do more data and texting usage... but still not enough to justify postpay on Verizon BYOD.

If you are primarily a light voice user, stick with Page Plus $80 PINs.

rated:
Add TracFone's Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, Net10, and Page Plus brands to the growing number of prepaid operators that are including unlimited calls to Mexican landlines and mobile phones with some of their prepaid plans ...

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/03/straight-talk-net10-simp...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 186878889 90
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015