• filter:
  • 166 67 68697081
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
This Tracfone Android will be the HSN SPECIAL OF THE DAY tomorrow, 9/21, with a special price. The $20 new customer code Coupon, 135235, may apply. Don`t forget FatWallet CashBack.

Here is a discussion of how the Android operates with Tracfone service and a cost comparison
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1811050-HSN-Has-Andro...  

rated:
Hi, my 86 year old dad uses his phone maybe 2 minutes a month, yet I am paying 30.00 w/VZ wireless for his phone. I cant afford to do this any longer. My knowledge of tracphone is nill. Any suggestions on plans or phones. Thank you so much.

rated:
Have a question, I purchased the LG840G from hsn ..I thought I read somewhere in thread where you can access sites like facebook as long as you are in a hotspot without being deducted minutes. I just tried by using "Browser" icon on phone & minutes were deducted. Is there something I am doing wrong or was I mistaken on the fact that minutes would not be deducted.

rated:
ok I figured out how to connect to wifi .. but once connected how do I connect to a site .. is there somewhere to type in address such as facebok.

rated:
tntnardo said:   ok I figured out how to connect to wifi .. but once connected how do I connect to a site .. is there somewhere to type in address such as facebok.
  You then have to open the browser. It is not really a good experience on the internet with this phone. I will just use it in times of extreme need, even on free Wi-Fi.
So far that is my experience.

rated:
Just found out that it does deduct minutes when going to sites such as facebook. Oh well like you said would only use if in extreme need.

rated:
tntnardo said:   Just found out that it does deduct minutes when going to sites such as facebook. Oh well like you said would only use if in extreme need.
  Not if you correctly hook up thru Wi-Fi. I have done it.

rated:
Here are the Tutorials and user guide link. The phone does not know if you want to connect by the mobile web or if you want to use WiFi, you must direct the phone. Some functions use the mobile web as the default choice. You need to become familiar with the phone. The link has an alphabetical listing of all the tutorials on the right side.

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/searchresults.seam?d...

rated:
Do not activate the browser until you have turned on WiFi and then connected to a wiFi signal at which point you will see the blue wiFi icon in the notification bar (next to the signal strength). Have you ever touched the black notification bar and seen the drop down shortcut list?

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/tutorial.seam?tutori...

Note: You must use your PC back button to return to the tutorial home page or the alphabetical listing will be replaced by the specifications. Use the back button at ANY time or just leave the link and go back to it.

rated:
gcharou said:   Hi, my 86 year old dad uses his phone maybe 2 minutes a month, yet I am paying 30.00 w/VZ wireless for his phone. I cant afford to do this any longer. My knowledge of tracphone is nill. Any suggestions on plans or phones. Thank you so much.
You will be surprised how much Tracfone can reduce your Father`s yearly cost.
Here are the Tracfone CDMA (Verizon service) offerings - as you can see they are limited:
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action...

Can he use AT&T or T-Mobile service, or is Verizon the only good choice? 
Here are the much better AT&T choices:
and T-Mobile choices  (yes they are often the same phone just a different SIM card)

Shopcelldeals at e-bay has some very good bundles, phone + airtime, giving the best value
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone&submi...

Then there are the bundles at HSN and QVC:
http://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone/10962?rid=3348&query=tracfone&i...
http://www.qvc.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalog...

rated:
gcharou said:   Hi, my 86 year old dad uses his phone maybe 2 minutes a month, yet I am paying 30.00 w/VZ wireless for his phone. I cant afford to do this any longer. My knowledge of tracphone is nill. Any suggestions on plans or phones. Thank you so much.
 Do you mean $30 per Month?
Here is an example of a bundle that is $39.99 for a whole YEAR of service.  If the phone is not too complicated for your dad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-LG-800G-One-Year-Service-and-6... 

Tutorials and user guide:

Give more information and ask some more questions, there may be a lot of narrowing down to be done to get to what will work, and at the cheapest price

rated:
can you expand your answer as to how to connect without deducting minutes

rated:
tntnardo said:   can you expand your answer as to how to connect without deducting minutes
  After the phone is turned on go to the main menu and scroll to the 2nd page of icons there's a Wi-Fi icon which will bring up a list of available connections and you choose one of those. After that go back to the browser icon to connect to the internet via Wi-Fi.

rated:
tracfancier said:   Here it is, the first Tracfone Android has arrived (Verizon service):
http://www.hsn.com/products/samsung-galaxy-centura-android-tracf...   
tutorials and user guide:

I was looking for something like this but not sure about it after reading the reviews on A-mazon.

rated:
This is the first of four Tracfone Android models to be released.

rated:
tracfancier said:   This is the first of four Tracfone Android models to be released.
  Thanks. 
Guess I'll have to wait for a better model.

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   
tracfancier said:   This is the first of four Tracfone Android models to be released.
  Thanks. 

I am beginning to hear that this may be the best phone.
I am not prepared to jump on one yet.  Too many unknowns about the phone and how Tracfone has it set up.

rated:
  Buy the Motorola 370 with the 60 minute card for $ 19.95,use promo FRIEND 1 to save $5.00,then shop more and buy a second 370 for five bucks  just to use as a spare battery, and/or a backup phone should something happen to the first one. I had three of these for several years,wife used one and mother in law is still using one.Great phone, GREAT signal grabber.Don't let the 'refurb' business dissuade you!

rated:
tracfancier said:   
ShakuniMama said:   
  Thanks. 

I am beginning to hear that this may be the best phone.
I am not prepared to jump on one yet.  Too many unknowns about the phone and how Tracfone has it set up.

I am assuming this has Verizon network which is what I was looking for..............this making me reconsider it.
I was on T-Mobile Prepaid till their service became non-existent (0-1) bar recently. AT&T (via Tracfone) is slightly better (1-2 bars).
This is the reason I wanted to try out Verizon.
Any suggestions?

rated:
The android is now available from shop cell deals, but the HSN deal was better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-Smartphon...

HSN did not make clear what was included special just for yesterday.
There is much that hasn`t been verified. We do not know if any airtime is given free at activation or if you must activate with airtime like with Straight Talk.

Current Tracfones have one pool of minutes. Say your current Tracfone has 2000 minutes, talking, texting and the web EACH use minutes from that one pool of 2000.

Now transfer that 2000 to the Android, which has three pools, and the 2000 gets tripled: 2000 minutes for talk, 2000 text and 2000MB for data. The more you have to transfer the bigger the gain.

Now add the bundled 200M/90D airtime and it triple-triples to becomes 600 minutes for talk, 600 text and 600 MB for data. Each use comes from its own pool and when the pool runs out you can no longer use that function, without adding more airtime. Now you will be trying to keep in balance, talk, text, data and days of service. One or more is likely to get way ahead or behind the others. But you never lose any of them as long as the phone stays active.

You appear to be receiving three time the value from each airtime card when put on the android which is TMFL and triples all three pools (triple-triples the minutes, NOT days).

I hope you can follow my explanation, it is all new and complicated at this point and my first attempt to explain it, with limited information.

ALL four Androids are CDMA, and said to be on Verizon (hopefully with roaming).

rated:
It appears the only change in the HSN Android bundle is that the price went up $20. Everything else remains the same.

rated:

rated:
Radio Shack is closing out the Tracfone "Big Easy" for $9.99.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21009186 

rated:
tracfancier said:   Radio Shack is closing out the Tracfone "Big Easy" for $9.99.

Thanks a lot, you're starting to cost me money.  This phone was sold out online, so I called a couple of Radio Shack B&M stores.  The first one looked at his computer and it said the phone was ~$30... The second store did the same thing and said it was showing up at ~$30, but he said that could not be right, and he physically scanned one, and surprise, surprise it came up at $9.99, so I went to store number two and bought all three he had in stock.  I paid cash, and he used some phony phone number to keep these from showing up on Tracfones radar as purchased by me.  Thanks again Tracfancier, as I said before, you are indeed a scholar and a gentleman!

rated:
tracfancier said:   Radio Shack is closing out the Tracfone "Big Easy" for $9.99.

Can you please elaborate for a tracfone noob like me as to why this is a good deal since all RSs near me have it in stock.
TIA

rated:
They have the "Big Easy" marked way down (from $29.99 to $9.99) to close out this model.  When it is gone, it is gone.
A good deal is in the mind of the beholder, specifically if you like this phone or know an elderly person who could benefit from its big buttons. It has NOT received overwhelming praise because it is stripped down for simplicity.

rated:
If you are looking for the 400M/1year airtime card, check out this bundle ($74.99, no tax, no shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-LG-800G-with-1200-Minutes-and-...   

The airtime can be added to ANY Tracfone but when added to the bundled phone it gets tripled.
I believe I have recently seen a 250 minute promo code to use with the airtime.

rated:
tracfancier said:   They have the "Big Easy" marked way down (from $29.99 to $9.99) to close out this model.  When it is gone, it is gone.
A good deal is in the mind of the beholder, specifically if you like this phone or know an elderly person who could benefit from its big buttons. It has NOT received overwhelming praise because it is stripped down for simplicity.

I recently bought LG 840G with 1400 Minutes and Triple Minutes for $60 (HSN deal). So, correct me if I am wrong this phone is no use for me unless it comes with airtime which I can transfer to LG840G?

rated:
The big easy only activates with the 10-20M/60D. This cannot be transferred without first adding ANY amount of airtime and using up the "free" 10-20 minutes first (they are not worried about the days). They do not want people treating a bundled phone as if it were like a plastic airtime card.  But if you find you cannot tolerate something about the phone they will not begrudge your changing phones immediately.

rated:
The SECOND Tracfone Android has been spotted for sale at Best Buy $99.99 (not yet on the BB website)
The ZTE Valet.

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFZ...   

If you are into comparisons and specs (reports are that some specs are inaccurate):
http://theinformr.com/cell-phones/compare/2628,2804/ 

rated:
A heads up to anyone considering one of the new Tracfone Androids (Verizon service), users say they appear NOT to accept Promo Codes.

Although they do triple-triple. Example with a standard 60M/90D airtime card:
you receive 180 in each of its three airtime tanks: 180 minutes for talk; 180 text; and 180 MB of data use. 90 days is added for the expiration date.
You can activate the Androids with the airtime off your old phone, say you transfer 500 minutes and 100 days; After activating the Android will have: 500 minutes for talk; 500 text; 500MB for data use; and a 100 day expiration date.

The Androids must be activated with airtime, they do not give you the free 10 or 20 Minutes and 60 Days you are used to receiving from Tracfone. The Androids do not keep tract and display the remaining tanks nor days of service. Just like Straight Talk, you must go online to your account to view remaining airtime and days of service. Once viewed the Info is text to your phone. I believe after using the phone the Androids tell you how much was used and what remains of the tank(s) you used from.

The Androids are not on the Tracfone website yet. The first one released is available only through HSN and shopcelldeals. The second one released can only be found at Best Buy stores (not BB online).

Data only cards are now available from the Tracfone website. Talk/text/data are separate tanks that do not spill over when one empties. When you empty one it is unusable until more airtime is added. Everything stacks and remains until used, as long as you keep the Android active with days of service. Keeping the three tanks and days balanced may be difficult.

rated:
Quick question:
If I transfer minutes from one tracfone to another what happens to the tracfone I am transferring minutes from?
I mean does the phone # on the old tracfone gets deactivated or I can still use it after adding some more minutes?
TIA

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   Quick question:
If I transfer minutes from one tracfone to another what happens to the tracfone I am transferring minutes from?
I mean does the phone # on the old tracfone gets deactivated or I can still use it after adding some more minutes?
TIA

-A Tracfone that just runs out of minutes cannot be used, but it remains activated.
-A Tracfone that runs out of days deactivates. 
  You could lose the phone number at any time.  CDMA phones lose the phone number quicker.
  Unused minutes stay with the deactivated phone for 60 days. 

-There are two transfer choices 1-phone number+all minutes+all days  2-all minutes+all days
  anytime the days leave the phone deactivates.  Some have ported a phone number off a deactivated phone.  Most CSR will    say it cannot be done until the phone is reactivated with airtime. 

Since Tracfone would like you to reactivate the phone with which you left a phone number, they have been holding on to the number for several Months as an incentive to reclaim it by just adding airtime to reactivate the phone.  But if Tracfone is in dire need of phone numbers for your area they may have no choice but to give it to someone wanting to activate a phone with a new number.

But you may know that with Tracfone anything is subject to immediate change with no prior, current or future notice.

So the best/safest approach is to call Miami and have them do EVERYTHING at once, reducing the risk of anything going wrong.  Just make sure they fully understand exactly what you want to do.  Decide ahead where you want to purchase the reactivating airtime pin number (best price).

rated:
Thank you tracfancier for everything you do here.

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   Thank you tracfancier for everything you do here.
  You are very welcome, I enjoy helping.

rated:
tracfancier said:   A heads up to anyone considering one of the new Tracfone Androids (Verizon service), users say they appear NOT to accept Promo Codes.

Well, the promo code box is disabled when you go to add airtime for the Tracfone Android.

rated:
Yep, box is greyed out (function unavailable) !!
More confirmations since my initial post.

rated:
Hey yall, been a while.

I activated a VA phone that I have had for several years. Got 20 minutes and 365 days of service.Then used the Tracfone site & transferred to the Centura. The screen showed 20 min. /20 texts /20 mb data for the new phone balance with the 365 days of service.

Since the old phone was GSM, I had to wait for the port to complete Port and activation complete. Took less than one hour to complete the port. I dialed *22890 and programming was complete. Checked the balance and the balance is 20/20/20 with an expiration date of 9/28/2014. I also received the text message verifying the balance. You must place one call before the service is active on the phone. It will not receive anything until you do.  

This isn't going to be a good plan for texters 

I sent twenty texts. Message twenty one returned a message " You have insufficient funds to send message"
When a message is sent to the phone after text balance is zero, it receives a text message " You have insufficient funds to send message". You must have a balance in the text tank it you want to send or receive texts. You can still make voice calls and use data after the text tank is empty, but you must buy and add airtime to replenish a text balance if you want to send or receive sms using your cellular number.

I installed the “Google Voice” app (free) and “GV SMS Integration Free” (free).
Sending free texts from the native messaging app on wifi worked. I couldn’t get the receiving texts to come to the native messaging app. They came to the GV app fine.I uninstalled “GV SMS Integration Free”, and installed “Google Voice SMS Integration” ($4.99, bought previously for another phone). Made all the settings same as with the free version and then it all works great. Outgoing texts are sent using my Google Voice number and incoming texts to my Google Voice number are pushed to the native messaging app by the Google Voice app.

I do have to manually start the GV app every time after a reboot or it doesn't receive the message. I am used to the iPhone version where you just need the GV app installed and never touch it.

I turned off wifi and turned on cellular data.
Sent two text messages (sending "over cellular" and receiving "yes"); and now my data balance is 19.83 mb. That is <6 texts per MB of data.
Since you can't add just texts, If you add a 300 mb data card for $10 just to send texts you should be able to send 1500 to 1800 texts. That is about a half cent per.

rated:

rated:
Tracfone LG L38C is the Optimus Dynamic (runs Gingerbread) Verizon Network.

Tracfone Samsung S738C is the Galaxy Centura (runs Ice Cream Sandwich) Verizon Network.

Tracfone Huawei H868C is the Glory (runs Ice Cream Sandwich) Verizon Network

Tracfone ZTE Z665C is the Valet (runs Jelly Bean) Verizon Network.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 166 67 68697081
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014