• filter:
  • 167 68 69707178
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
The ZTE Vallet and the Samsung Galaxy Centura are now on Tracfone's site if you use the CDMA zip code 51355 or try clicking on the link below. It says they'll ship in a week. Don't forget about CashBack sites as none of them list these phones as not being eligible for CashBack as of yet.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=CO 

Edited to fix the link that got messed up when my post was approved and to delete some stuff that made this most unreadable. 

rated:
Tracfone online Android link (use the zip code Rowan gave to actually order):
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action...   

rated:
Now you don't have to enter a CDMA zip code to get the new Android phones to show up. Looks like all zip codes now offer T-Mo/Verizon and AT&T/Verizon phones depending on what GSM provider TF has decided to assign to your area.

rated:
Shop cell deals now has the ZTE Valet for sale
http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals/_i.html?_nkw=tracfone+zte+v... 

and a very cheap CDMA touchscreen (reconditioned)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manufacturer-Refurbished-LG-505C-Triple-... 

rated:
I wonder if you can help me tracfancier.
I ported my number to my new LG840G and the porting was successful. However, the phone still says "Activation Required" and when I log into my account it displays a banner stating "YOU HAVE PENDING UPDATES. CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR UPDATES" under the  "Account Summary". I followed the instructions but it asked for a code from the phone. I again followed the instructions to get the code (*#0) but only a zero is being displayed under the code which is not correct. So, I am stuck. 
The phone is showing the ported number but somehow it has not been able to get the activation info (minutes/expiry date) over the air.
Any suggestions?
TIA

rated:
Did you enter the zero you found at *#0?   It is the number of transactions applied to the phone, so zero seems to be correct if you have no airtime applied yet

rated:
tracfancier said:   Did you enter the zero you found at *#0?   It is the number of transactions applied to the phone, so zero seems to be correct if you have no airtime applied yet
  Initially I was sceptical to apply zero as it specifically said to exclude the zeros but as you suggested I applied the zero and after a series of entering codes I managed to get it activated.
Oddly, it only gave me 10 minutes of time but I am happy for a successful port and activation since with Tracfone you never know
Thanks for your help. You are a true expert. 

rated:
I just got back from the Sticks, Boonies, Hinterlands, (take your pick) While there, my NEW MotorolaW376G which is on T-Mobile, got absolutely no service (save 911, which I called to test and 911 worked).
T-Mobile has no service in that area, but AT&T does.  My question is why did my phone not roam to the AT&T network since I was miles from any T-Mobile towers?

rated:
pennsatuckian said:   I just got back from the Sticks, Boonies, Hinterlands, (take your pick) While there, my NEW MotorolaW376G which is on T-Mobile, got absolutely no service (save 911, which I called to test and 911 worked).
T-Mobile has no service in that area, but AT&T does.  My question is why did my phone not roam to the AT&T network since I was miles from any T-Mobile towers?

I would request an AT&T SIM from Tracfone.  But to get one you will have to say your phone doesn`t work almost everywhere.  They may make a test call to see if you answer, or if on the phone with them to see if they hear it ring.  If the test call goes through, no new SIM for you.  The phone may have some programing on it for T-Mobile, so I would call Miami when changing.  You may have to input some codes for AT&T.

rated:
Some people have just left the phone off when calling about a sim so it wouldn't ring. Not sure if it actually works or not.

rated:
tracfancier said:   
pennsatuckian said:   I just got back from the Sticks, Boonies, Hinterlands, (take your pick) While there, my NEW MotorolaW376G which is on T-Mobile, got absolutely no service (save 911, which I called to test and 911 worked).

I would request an AT&T SIM from Tracfone.  But to get one you will have to say your phone doesn`t work almost everywhere.  They may make a test call to see if you answer, or if on the phone with them to see if they hear it ring.  If the test call goes through, no new SIM for you.  The phone may have some programing on it for T-Mobile, so I would call Miami when changing.  You may have to input some codes for AT&T.

So, I gather that it is not possible to use the AT&T system with a T-Mobile sim.  I was gone for a week, and had no service for that week.  I have seen the Tracfone coverage maps, and they sure do imply that the phones WILL roam on other networks, or else the coverage maps are a bunch of CRAP!

rated:
Yes Tracfones should roam off the primary provider, but only when the primary providers signal is completely lost. But there are too many unknowns to say that it always will roam. I cannot guess why yours did not roam. May have to do with roaming agreements, or lack of, in the area you were in.

Most people will find, with a few exceptions, that an AT&T SIM will work best for them in varied situations. Personally, I find T-Mobile service unacceptable.

It has yet to be determined if the Verizon contract for the Androids includes any roaming.

rated:
jimates said:   Hey yall, been a while.

I activated a VA phone that I have had for several years. Got 20 minutes and 365 days of service.Then used the Tracfone site & transferred to the Centura. The screen showed 20 min. /20 texts /20 mb data for the new phone balance with the 365 days of service.

Since the old phone was GSM, I had to wait for the port to complete Port and activation complete. Took less than one hour to complete the port. I dialed *22890 and programming was complete. Checked the balance and the balance is 20/20/20 with an expiration date of 9/28/2014. I also received the text message verifying the balance. You must place one call before the service is active on the phone. It will not receive anything until you do.  

This isn't going to be a good plan for texters 

I sent twenty texts. Message twenty one returned a message " You have insufficient funds to send message"
When a message is sent to the phone after text balance is zero, it receives a text message " You have insufficient funds to send message". You must have a balance in the text tank it you want to send or receive texts. You can still make voice calls and use data after the text tank is empty, but you must buy and add airtime to replenish a text balance if you want to send or receive sms using your cellular number.

I installed the “Google Voice” app (free) and “GV SMS Integration Free” (free).
Sending free texts from the native messaging app on wifi worked. I couldn’t get the receiving texts to come to the native messaging app. They came to the GV app fine.I uninstalled “GV SMS Integration Free”, and installed “Google Voice SMS Integration” ($4.99, bought previously for another phone). Made all the settings same as with the free version and then it all works great. Outgoing texts are sent using my Google Voice number and incoming texts to my Google Voice number are pushed to the native messaging app by the Google Voice app.

I do have to manually start the GV app every time after a reboot or it doesn't receive the message. I am used to the iPhone version where you just need the GV app installed and never touch it.

I turned off wifi and turned on cellular data.
Sent two text messages (sending "over cellular" and receiving "yes"); and now my data balance is 19.83 mb. That is <6 texts per MB of data.
Since you can't add just texts, If you add a 300 mb data card for $10 just to send texts you should be able to send 1500 to 1800 texts. That is about a half cent per.

Hey jimates ltns!  I heard recently that the VA Tracfones have been changed to REQUIRE the addition of one time card to get the year of service.   Do you know if that is true?

rated:
Tracfone ZTE Valet Review - Re posted from Amazon
By Living Life In The Midwest (Midwest USA) on October 14, 2013:

First I must say cell phones are not new to me. I worked in the cell phone industry and that is why I use pre-paid service. That is all I am going to say about that and I will not respond to questions about that subject.

Pre-paid is just a way to separate money from people who don't want to commit, can't commit or want the option to quit when things turn against their favor. With pre-paid you get cut-rate service at a cut-rate price.

With Tracfone I suggest creating an online account with them on their official website. From there you can activate new phones, register the phones to your account and transfer your numbers and minutes to new phones you buy without having to call tim-buck-too and speaking with someone that does not understand you very well.

Review:

This phone is Android yes: Cut-rate Android. It is limited to 3G speed for Data on the cell network. If you are expecting state of the art you had best go straight to the service providers like Sprint or Verizon and buy a phone there. There is a wall charger and usb cable included. The usb cable can be connected to the wall charger and phone to charge the phone or the phone and computer to charge the phone or transfer files like mp3 music to the phone.

It has a single core 1ghz processor. It is not fast enough to run fast paced games or even multi-task. In fact a task manager runs in the background and closes the apps you minimize. Those familiar with Android know that on most devices apps stay open until the user "swipes" them off the screen. The app manager however will keep media apps open, like playing music in the background, while you use the device.

The GPS works fine with the Google Maps app. A little slow to update changes and position at first but I don't know if this is due to the 3G data speed or the single core processor. It became more responsive as my trip went on. I only tested it once in a Midwestern area with no tall buildings.

The Wi-Fi is fast and responsive with impressive range. It will also alert you by chime when you are in a free (unsecured) Wi-Fi area. Be very wary of using unsecured Wi-Fi as man in the middle (where you passwords and user names are recorded) attacks can happen.

On mine, it has Internal Storage (for apps and user data) of 2.34GB available to use while a tiny bit is already used from the factory. The task manager app shows 386.31 MB of total RAM, just running factory installed apps I have 114 MB free. Again those familiar with Android know that 512 MB of RAM is pretty much the minimum you would want on a device that will run more than one app at a time with 1 GB or more becoming standard on top shelf phones.

This phone comes with an SD card. Mine came with a Toshiba 4 GB class 4 card. The SD card can be used to as additional storage for ringtones, video files, etc. This ZTE Valet allows moving apps to an SD card from Internal Storage. Those familiar with android know some apps can be moved from Internal Storage to SD cards if the programmers of the app allow this and only if it is a program that does not automatically run on startup like the Facebook App, Twitter App or Outlook App do.

The camera is low end 3MP. It requires a high amount of light to get photos that are not grainy. Indoors photos looked grainy no matter what I did except for when the subject was lit well from sunlight through a window. The camera is somewhat slow to respond, I don't know if this is because of the camera app or the single core processor. I have seen slower cameras on I-phones and top end Android phones though so all in all it isn't the slowest to respond. When I held the phone really still until I was positive the picture has taken the images had the best results. The camera features a flash but no "automatic flash" option. If I want the flash to be used I have to manually turn it on. It is also not a traditional flash but simply a white LED light that illuminates the subject, at close range only, when the shutter button is pressed and continues until the photo is completely taken. In complete darkness the flash had a maximum usable range of 5 feet for me and at that distance only illuminated the center of the photo. The images of faces taken with the flash on looked white washed.

A top feature I have not seen before was an option to turn the Data (3g) on and off using the Power Control widget. A one click simple solution that makes this phone the ONLY pre-paid Android to consider. The Power Control Widget on my phone was installed on the first left screen. For those not familiar with Android, swiping my finger from left to right on the home screen reveals this screen. I removed the Android Tips widget from the home screen and moved the Power Control to the home screen to more easily use this option. This option turns off the phones ability to send and receive data over the 3g network thereby stopping any data usage when not on Wi-Fi. Of course you have the option to also turn Wi-Fi off with this widget too.

This is a feature sadly lacking in other cell phone companies, so much so that people resort to putting their phone in Airplane mode (all data flow and calls are stopped) when apps like email, twitter and facebook start using too much of their Data plan. I've gotta give it up to Tracfone for this feature. A+ on this! So, if you leave Data in the off position in the Power Control and only turn it on when you want updates on you accounts (email, twitter, facebook etc.) you can minimize how much data you use. Again I cannot stress how useful this feature is. If you are coming from another pre-paid or traditional cell phone company you may have found yourself exceeding your data plan when your phone was updating your accounts around the clock. On other phones it was possible to positively turn off your data for most apps by turning off Sync but this was often overridden by some apps and also stopped updates from coming through on Wi-Fi.

Voice calls are fairly clear with a little bit of an "overdrive" or clipping on louder setting. The rear facing single internal speaker produces loud and relatively distortion free rings and music. It is however somewhat easy to block the speaker when placing it down on its back cover (like you normally would) especially on softer surfaces like seat cushions.

The issue of "Minutes": Those familiar with Tracfone know that most newer standard phones give the buyer triple minutes. That is if you buy a 60 Minute card you get that tripled to 180 Minutes. Text messages on these phone were billed at .3 and more rarely .5 minutes per text.
I have only bought my minutes for my ZTE Valet online via the Tracfone website and this is what I can tell you from that transaction. My 60 Minute card got me 180 Minutes of talk, 180 Text messages (incoming and outgoing) and 180 Mb of 3g Data. So, as you can see Text messaging is being billed not out of the Minute pool with Valet Android but instead out of its own Text pool. For me this is not welcome. I currently work where I am not allowed to take voice calls or make voice calls. I can text. I use about 20 texts a day. On my old Tracfone that was 6 Minutes that were deducted per day. Now it is 20 texts that are deducted from my text pool. So for me a 60 minute card will last about 9 days of texts at 20 texts a day (180 Texts divided by 20 Texts per day = 9 days) but I will still have 180 of voice minutes and 180mb of Data. With my older triple minute phone a 60 minute card would have lasted 30 days of text only at 20 texts per day (180 Minutes card was = to 600 Texts and 600 texts divided by 20 per day = 30). :-/

I cannot give 5 stars to this product because its single core processor, its small amount of RAM and its current price (as of October 14th 2013). Virgin Moble pre-paid (a Sprint company), StraightTalk (a Tracfone and WalMart company) as well as Net 10 pre-paid (a Tracfone company) currently have Android phones with similar tech specs for under $50. Virgin has a $35 a month plan for Android with 300 minutes of talk and "unlimited data" a month, StraightTalk has a $45 "unlimited everything" a month plan and Net 10 has $50 "unlimited everything" a month plan.

I did not deduct any stars for the new Minute/Texting pricing model. This phone is not using GSM carriers like previous Tracfones and instead is activated using CDMA carriers. CDMA carriers play by a whole different set of rules than GSM carriers and Tracfone has no control of that. I am almost sure they are the ones moving Tracfone to this different pricing model for Android on the ZTE Valet.

Final thoughts:

There is not Minute bank display on this or any Android on Tracfone. You must open a web browser like Chrome (via Wi-Fi or 3g) and go to: mobile.TracFone.com You will be asked to enter your phone number. You do not need your serial number. You will, after about 45 seconds, get a text message that does not seem to count against your text balance, giving you your remaining Minutes, Texts and Data. Of course if you are on 3g and not Wi-Fi this counts against your data balance. Don't forget to close your browser and turn of your Data on the Power Control widget when you are done with this or you it will continue to use 3g and it will count against your data balance if not on Wi-Fi. I have even been able to access this website on my home computer and receive the text message on my phone, thereby not using any data on my phone.

Also install Norton Security from the Google Play store. This app is currently free for its basic mode and works very well. It works better with a Norton account (access to one additional feature) and the Norton company says it even works better in the paid version but I have not tried.

If you are giving this phone to a child Install and configure Norton Family parental control. It will block websites based on your childs age and send you an email when they try to access websites that Norton deems inappropriate. I have not used this on the ZTE Valet but do have it installed on my children's Android tablets and fine it does quite well.

rated:
Tracfone Android Balance App on Google Play Store 
(from another site`s post)

Tracfone has just released "Tracfone My Account App" on the Google Play Store.  It is used to request your balance for your Tracfone android phone without the need to enter your phone number, and it displays the balances and also the end date.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfone.tracfone.myaccount 

(Note that the last image is from the Tracfone widget rather than the app)  Be careful that if you are not on WiFi, the app will use your data bank if you make a balance request.  You still get a free text message which contains the three balances, but not the service end date.  The other methods also still work.  You can also use this app to add airtime PINS.

rated:
HSN has the Tracfone ZTE Valet with 600/600/600 and 90 days service + car charger
+ tax free, ship free all for $99.95.

http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-valet-android-tracfone-w600-minu... 

rated:
Possibly the least attractive of the four Tracfone Androids, bundled with extras
includes 600/600/600 and ONE YEAR of service

10/23/13 UPDATE:  QVC has now removed. ONE YEAR and replaced it with 90 DAYS OF SERVICE.

in black
http://www.qvc.com/LG-Optimus-Tracfone-Androi-%28Black%29-w-600-...   

in white
http://www.qvc.com/LG-Optimus-Tracfone-Androi-%28White%29-w-600-...   

rated:
QVC Today's Special good thru October 23 MIDNIGHT ET - $99.96 with free shipping
http://www.qvc.com/APTSV.product.E225158.html?promo=RI5   
http://www.qvc.com/APTSV.product.E225310.html?promo=RI6   

10/23/13 UPDATE:  QVC has now removed. ONE YEAR and replaced it with 90 DAYS OF SERVICE.

10/24/13 UPDATE:  Deal extended: Good until 10/25/13,  2:59 a.m. e.t.

rated:

TracFone (6.39kB)
Disclaimer
Looks like Tracfone has now started a separate site for the Androids:
http://tracfonewireless.com/ 

rated:
I bought a Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura (Android) phone for only $84.99 shipped! Normally it's $129.99.

This is how I did it:
I am already a Swagbucks.com member. (Been for a couple years now.)
You can register for free. Use the Coupon Code: SW70 for an extra 70 Swagbucks points when you register. (More about Swagbucks at the bottom.)

Once registered, Click on the SHOP button for their Shop & Earn webpage. Type in Tracfone into the search and use their link to get to the Tracfone site. Add ANY Tracfone to your cart.

Add on the Tracfone promo code: FRIEND1  for an additional $5 off your order.

Normally, Swagbucks gives 15 Swagbucks per dollar spent at Tracfone. (Each store has different amounts.) But, throughout the month of November, Swagbucks is giving DOUBLE SWAGBUCKS for purchases!!!  So that's 30 Swagbucks per dollar at Tracfone.

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Centura at $129 minus the $5 (bonus code.)
Total $124.99 x 30 Swagbucks = 3,749 Swagbucks

You can use the Swagbucks get gift cards for different stores.
Every 450 Swagbucks points = $5 Amazon Gift Card. The cheapest gift card available.
Other gift cards, like for WalMart, start out at 500 Swagbucks for a $5 Gift card. Depending on the store, the gift cards are stackable. They are stackable at Amazon.

I will be converting ALL my 3,749 Swagbucks to over $40 in Amazon gift cards. (Exactly 8.3 Amazon gift cards.)

$124.99 for the phone minus $40 in Amazon GCs = $84.99
If you get gift cards for different stores instead, it will be approximately $87.99

I checked the next day on my purchase at Swagbucks.com, and it does show the purchase and 3,749 Swagbucks points pending in my account. (They will credit after the Tracfone 30 day return policy is over. Swagbucks wants to make sure I do not return the phone before giving me the points.)

As for negotiating the Swagbucks site: I've been a member for a couple years. I used to use an OLD version of Firefox and it wouldn't record my Swagbucks points properly or my Shop & Earns points when I shopped through their links. However, when I either presented screenshots or emails of my purchases, they did credit me my points without a problem.

Finally, I upgraded to the latest Chrome browser and all my Swwagbucks points are properly automatically crediting and I've earned about $300 in just the last several months. So now I only do Swagbucks in my Chrome browser. I like to shop through them when they do a promotion of giving Double Swagbucks for purchases, like now. 

I still back all shopping up with a screenshot of their webpage before clicking through their site to shop, of the date & time I am about to click through their portal. Then right after I make the purchase, and the store shows my paid transaction on the screen, I take another screenshot, showing the date & time. I haven't had to use them since switching to Chrome. But, it's good to have the backup just in case I need to email them.

For more info on how to do Swagbucks in general:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1311795/  
I posted a few more tips in the last post.

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Centura for about 3 days now. I still haven't ported the number over, as I've needed my old Tracfone every day and can't have my phone number in limbo while they make the port from AT&T to Verizon. But, I've been playing with the free WiFi on it. I downloaded a few apps already, including a Big Font app for these old eyeballs I have. I played with the phone settings & apps. I can watch YouTube music videos on it. The sound on the speakerphone is loud & fabulous. The browser, while not as fast as the newest smartphones out, (at work I had a Blackberry10 for a while,) it is about 3 times faster than my current 2 Tracfones: one is the LG840g, and 5 times faster than my LG290c - neither which can even access Gmail properly and needs mobile versions of webpages.

I can get whole, regular webpages to load (like on my PC,) not just some webpages that have mobile versions. I found the settings for the browser, and was able to set the Accessibility, so I could have larger fonts and manually zoom webpages. I set the phone NOT to use data for accessing the Internet, but just use free WiFi. I LOVE my Samsung Galaxy Centura!!! I feel like I finally got a phone for this century!

Unless the sound is bad for making phone calls, (a problem I read on some reviews, where people sound like they are talking through a tunnel,) and is one that has a glitch with the clock where it keeps resetting itself to 5 hours earlier than the real time, (which Samsung is NOT fixing,) this phone is a keeper for me! 

rated:
Imzadi
Thanks for taking the time to post all that valuable Info.
If you believe you may not like the Android, please be aware reports are that the minutes part of transferred and added airtime will not transfer back off the Androids, only your phone number and days of service. ALL remaining minutes/text/data are LOST.

rated:
tracfancier said:   Imzadi
If you believe you may not like the Android, please be aware reports are that the minutes part of transferred and added airtime will not transfer back off the Androids, only your phone number and days of service. ALL remaining minutes/text/data are LOST.

Holy crap! I did not know that!  Thanks Tracfancier.

As it turns out, this phone IS one of the ones that has the clock glitch. Twice it reset itself backwards 5 hours. Doesn't matter if it's set to the network time, or to manually set. I'm going to exchange it for another one. I still love this phone. I use a different phone for an alarm clock and I usually wear a wrist watch. I haven't used past phones for reminders, as they often didn't have that function. But, I am hoping to keep this phone for quite a while. So, while now I don't use the cellphone's clock for much, there might be some apps in the future that I really need a correctly working clock for.   I hope the tech guys online, who figured out how to root the cellphone, can figure out how to fix the glitch as Samsung won't fix it.

rated:
A lot of details in your post.

rated:
The Yahoo Tracfone user group has Information on the clock glitch that may be helpful to you.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tracfone_Users/messages?o=1&y...    
The other Tracfone Android of interest, the Valet, also has a problem, it has a very weak WiFi radio limiting its range, and no one is talking about the other two Androids.  There may be a fifth Android coming soon the LG Optimus Dynamic 2 (L39C):  http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFL...   

Two other Tracfone forums with very knowledgeable posters:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/330-Tracfone-Net10    
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/index/    

rated:
Thanks, Tracfancier. I only knew about the HowardForums group and some reviews at Amazon. I'll see if anyone's come up with a fix for the clock.

I live in NYC (Manhattan) and had to head out to a place in Brooklyn I've never been to before by bus. I used the Google Maps app on my Samsung Galaxy Centura to help me navigate. It's still not activated, so I had no data capabilities, like to input an address for directions. (Plus I had it set to stay off, had the phone been activated, so I wouldn't use minutes.) I got the directions off my computer last night. But, I wanted to see if the phone would show my location on the bus so I'd know when to hit the button to tell the bus driver I wanted to get off.

Google Maps worked! The Wifi & GPS satellite connection on this are incredible!!! The little blue arrow kept moving in real time down the streets & showed the bus turning, etc.! No lag in the connection. My Blackberry10 (work cellphone) worked just as well when I did the same thing with it a couple months ago.

rated:
I was in my local 7-11 tonight and noticed that they are clearing out all of the flip-phone style phones for only $7.11
If you're looking for a nice basic phone with no frills, you won't find one cheaper than this.  
Also bought a phone off eBay (ugly old thing) for $39 because it has a year - all I need is the extension and not minutes, so it was the cheapest way for me to go. I plan to activate and then move the time over to my new 7-11 flip-phone.

rated:
beginner said:   I was in my local 7-11 tonight and noticed that they are clearing out all of the flip-phone style phones for only $7.11
If you're looking for a nice basic phone with no frills, you won't find one cheaper than this.  
Also bought a phone off eBay (ugly old thing) for $39 because it has a year - all I need is the extension and not minutes, so it was the cheapest way for me to go. I plan to activate and then move the time over to my new 7-11 flip-phone.

Before transferring make sure you add airtime and use the free starter 10 or 20 minutes.  Do not get in a hurry and accidently add airtime to a DMFL phone if the other phone choice is TMFL.  Tracfone is not concerned with free starter days of service transferred, just free starter minutes.

rated:
beginner said:   I was in my local 7-11 tonight and noticed that they are clearing out all of the flip-phone style phones for only $7.11

VA Canteen Tracfones costing ~$10 to ~~~$30(with NO STATE SALES TAX) include one year.  I understand that to get the year, you now have to add an airtime card to the VA Tracfone.  That may be a better option for you for next year. 

FYI, I have seen Tracfones for $5 every few months at Dollar General...These include a Case, so I have purchased these deals just for the case, recently.

Also, I recently purchased closeout Alcatel Big Easy phones at RadioShack for <$10.

rated:
tracfancier said:   Imzadi

Tracfancier, can you clarify this a bit more? Can't I just call up the Tracfone customer service rep and get the minutes transferred back that way?

OR, can I do this scenario as I have two Tracfones, re-activate the Centura again right away and keep those minutes on that phone? Right now, I have two activated Tracfones, one I am planning to switch over to the Centura. One Tracfone has over 1000 minutes and the second only has 150 minutes. I use the phone number with the 150 minutes way more, which is why I have so few minutes on it. Meanwhile, the Tracfone with the 1000 minutes on it keeps getting minutes rolled over each month as I don't use them all. I'd actually love to have those minutes put onto the Centura with the phone number I use more often.

Can I activate the Samsung Centura by transferring the phone number, days & 1000 minutes from that phone. Then transfer the phone number back to the old phone. I get that the days & minutes don't transfer back. (I can always add on a 60 minute card, to start over again, as long as I'm able to keep that phone number.   In the past, when I've accidentally let the expiration date pass by, the CS rep has been able to reserve & reattach that same phone number back onto my phone. They usually don't get reactivated right away by a new customer. They go in some holding queue.) 

Would those 1000 minutes be LEFT on the Samsung Centura, so that I can activate it with the second Tracfone that only has the 150 minutes, transferring that phone number, days & 150 minutes, ADDED ON to the 1000 minutes left on the Centura? So I'd have 1150 minutes altogether with the second phone number active on that phone? Heck, I'll even take just the 1000 minutes.

Or, if I try to activate the Centura with the second phone number, does it wipe out the 1000 minutes and only the days & minutes of the second phone (150 minutes) get transferred over, replacing the 1000 minutes? 

Thanks for any clarifications, or any forum pages you can point me to about this.

rated:
Now that is complicated. I hope I can explain without leaving something out.
First: I believe you can understand why Tracfone does not want someone to put say 1000 minutes on their Android = 1000M/1000T/1000D and then use up the text and data, then transfer the remaining 1000 minutes to another phone. You could keep doing this and never pay for text and data on the Android. Plan on using what you put on the Android. A short return policy means a small amount of airtime. Since minutes/text/data do not spill over into each other, you may have a problem keeping the three in balance.

The Androids operate essentially the same as any old Tracfone as far as swapping phone numbers around. But being CDMA you do not wait on a replacement SIM card. I would try to break down your final required result into stages. Call Tracfone Miami and have them do each stage separately. Even if they fully understand what you want to do, they could get confused along the way when it is complicated. One mistake is easier to fix than a series of mistakes.

Phone numbers can be swapped between phones (you do wait for a replacement SIM`s for the GSM phones). If you leave the airtime and just transfer the phone number, the airtime is already there for reactivation, just add a phone number to reactivate. If you transfer phone number and airtime you will need new airtime and a phone number to reactivate.

CDMA phones can have their phone number reclaimed almost immediately, GSM phone numbers seem to hang around. They want you to reactivate so they try to keep your old number with the deactivated phone as a bonus incentive to reactivate.

Let me know if any steps are still not clear to you.

rated:

TracFone (2.49kB)
Disclaimer
Tracfone is now offering Bring Your Own Verizon CDMA Smartphone that automatically receive TMFL status (triple-triple the airtime):
There remains the question of exactly which Verizon CDMA models are acceptable for use with Tracfone (there are restrictions)..
http://tracfonewireless.com/byop/       

This is undoubtedly the result of Tracfone acquiring Page Plus.
Consensus is there is no roaming with the Tracfone Smartphones or with this new program.  A deal breaker for many.

Another Tracfone branded smartphone appears to be on the way, the LG Optimus Dynamic 2 (LG39C)
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/searchresults.seam?d...

Yes, the smartphones are more expensive to buy, but the same price as what you now have to operate.
Indications are starting to appear on the buy phones page that they may be switching normal Tracfones (non smartphones)  to this new airtime system. 

rated:

rated:
Tracfancier, thanks for all the info you posted for me earlier. I forgot to come back & thank you.  I did finally activate it with one number. But, I have been waiting to check the phone fully out before I switch phone numbers around.

The clock problem on my Centura may have been fixed without rooting. I followed the directions on one of the links you provided. The Calendar app has a separate time zone setting. Apparently everyone's calendar time zone is defaulted to Australia time and has to be manually reset, regardless of what the phone's clock setting is. Also, some people noted that when the GPS is set to always on, the phone defaults to the GPS clock, so that may keep the internal phone's clock in sync. So, between those two settings, my clock so far has stayed on the right time. No more random resets back to Greenwich Mean Time.

Another complaint others had about the phone is that one sounds like they are talking through an echoey tunnel. I haven't had that problem, although I do sound tinnier. But, testing against my LG290c and LG840G, by sending voice mail messages to myself, neither of those had great sound quality either, although, not as tinny.

I have been downloading apps and playing with the phone. I found out that Android phones do NOT have an automatic alert when you miss a call or have a text message waiting, that automatically shows up on the home screen. There just is the tiniest message in the status bar, that you have to manually open & look for. THAT would have been a real deal breaker for me. I did find an "Alert.me" app that puts an alert on the screen, once you unlock the home screen. It's not the best, and has an annoying ad that can only be gotten rid of once you pay for the full featured app. But, it works.

Since the phone has no working LED light to alert for incoming messages, another app, "LED Blinker" can put a flashing dot on the home screen and even will blink when the phone's screen is locked. But, that means your phone's screen is active & blinking for possibly several hours, if you don't check the phone often. I didn't care for that.

I downloaded the Adobe PDF app and can now read eBooks I borrowed from my Public Library, which I have converted to PDF files with a free computer program: Calibre eBook converter.

I transfered over my WMA songs, and found the music app will not play WMA files. I thought, "Are you kidding me? I have to transfer all my 200+ songs into MP3s?" Then I remembered I can download an app that plays WMAs. I found a great app, that has a fantastic equalizer. I set the phone down while playing a song through the speaker on the back of the phone and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I was about 15 feet away and could hear the song & lyrics quite well. No need for an external speaker plugged in.

tracfancier said:   Tracfone is now offering Bring Your Own Verizon CDMA Smartphone that automatically receive TMFL status (triple-triple the airtime):
There remains the question of exactly which Verizon CDMA models are acceptable for use with Tracfone (there are restrictions)..
http://tracfonewireless.com/byop/        

This is undoubtedly the result of Tracfone acquiring Page Plus.
Consensus is there is no roaming with the Tracfone Smartphones or with this new program.  A deal breaker for many.

What does that mean there is no roaming? You mean you don't get any kind of signal to make or receive calls when you are out of your local calling area??? What about the WiFi or GPS?

From the list people have been compiling for compatible phones to bring over, it seems all of them are Android 2.3 (Gingerbread OS) phones. None of them are Android 4.0 or 4.1, (Ice Cream Sandwich / Jelly Bean OSs.) basically, if one wants to bring their own phone, it's for the better auto-focus cameras and larger screen size that older Android phones have.

But, you wouldn't be able to download some of the latest apps that only work on 4.0. I only found some phone camera shutter silencers that I wanted to download that wouldn't work with the Centura. Every other app I've downloaded has been pretty basic. I've lived so long without Android technology, that I can still live without many of them if I have to.

I'm still debating about whether to return this Centura and bring a used phone, bought off eBay. But, I don't see many advantages in either direction that makes one choice a "must do."

rated:
I see where the PRE black friday WalMart flyer has a Galaxy Century from Straight Talk that I expect could be used for Tracfones BYOP. For 29 bucks I'd think it would be worth a try!

rated:
gmannix said:   I see where the PRE black friday WalMart flyer has a Galaxy Century from Straight Talk that I expect could be used for Tracfones BYOP. For 29 bucks I'd think it would be worth a try!
  This program will not work with Blackberry or iPhone, nor with Straight Talk, TracFone, Safe Link, Net10 Wireless or Telcel America brand phones.

rated:
gmannix said:   I see where the PRE black friday WalMart flyer has a Galaxy Century from Straight Talk that I expect could be used for Tracfones BYOP. For 29 bucks I'd think it would be worth a try!
  Rowan gave you the correct answer to why you cannot use the ST phone with Tracfone BYOP.

rated:
Imzadi
The newer models have LTE, which Verizon will not let Tracfone (nor other Verizon MVNO`s) activate. LTE is reserved for Verizon contract customers only. Verizon has always had a lot to say about the use of their network.

I would not invest a lot into the Tracfone BYOP program until we receive some feedback. Verizon has been very unpredictable with Straight Talk. Pulling the plug several times with no explanation. But I believe they just stopped activating new customers and old customers were allowed to continue.

You will have have native Verizon service everywhere you travel.  You will NOT have any of the Verizon or Tracfone off network roaming agreements included.  Page Plus had off network roaming,  at about 25 cents extra per minute.

rated:
If you want to purchase ANY Tracfone, Straight Talk or Net10 phone, Swagbucks is doing TRIPLE Swagbucks points back per dollar spent, tomorrow morning for Cyber Monday: December 2:  9 am – Noon ET / 6 am – 9 am PT.

Normally, Tracfone gives 15 Swagbucks per dollar spent. Tomorrow it will be 45 Swagbucks.
450 Swagbucks can be traded in for one $5 Amazon gift card that is emailed to you.
Usually 500 Swagbucks can be traded in for most other stores they have gift cards for.

So the Samsung Centura (for instance) at $129 = 5805 Swagbucks which equals 12.9 Amazon gift cards, or $60 in Amazon gift cards, if you don't do anything else on the site to make that .9 a full other gift card.

Full instructions are back one page on this thread. Register tonight for a Swagbucks account as the site will probably be slammed tomorrow morning as we all will be doing all sorts of shopping through them. I have 3 stored I will be shopping through tomorrow morning.

At Straight Talk, Swagbucks normally gives 11 Swagbucks per dollar back, tomorrow morning it will be 33 Swagbucks.
For Net10: Swagbucks normally gives 15 Swagbucks per dollar back, tomorrow morning it will be 45 Swagbucks.

If you wanted to get a Samsung S3 or iPhone from Straight Talk, tomorrow morning would be the time to do it.

(They also give Swagbucks for other retailers, but not as much as Tracfone. WalMart, for instance normally gives 2 Swagbucks per dollar spent. Tomorrow morning it will be 6.)

***Make sure you take screen shots before clicking over from Swagbucks to the retailer! The screen will say how many Swagbucks you are going to get. And then another one when you've got a confirmation of your purchase. *** 

rated:
The LG 500G refurb is back (or still) on with a 60 min card purchase, free overnight shipping.
So, instead of getting a 20$ card to add to my kid's account, got the card and a backup phone, which is same as he has, so spare battery too.
basic phone, but cheap and works well. $19.99 + tax shipped phone + 60 min card

rated:
Visegrip72 said:   The LG 500G refurb is back (or still) on with a 60 min card purchase, free overnight shipping.
So, instead of getting a 20$ card to add to my kid's account, got the card and a backup phone, which is same as he has, so spare battery too.
basic phone, but cheap and works well. $19.99 + tax shipped phone + 60 min card

Link please,LG 500G....thankz

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 167 68 69707178
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014