• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have tried all el cheapo eye glasses online places and found this to be superior in value and service. With a good prescription in hand and a PD measurement (distance between the pupils I was told), you can access the website and choose the frames that you like depending on your needs (bi focal and progressive must pick that choice in order to be shown suitable frames). You can upload your face picture on the website and then try the frames on your face. They do show some "faces" with the frames on them to give you an idea. It's very hard to get glasses when you cannot try them on. If you have a big face, go with something with the largest widths. They have all the measurements for you to look at. Of course, you can pay more with fancier frames. I am cheap (frugal).
I paid a total of $33.75 for 3 pairs of prescription glasses included shipping: 1 bi-focals, 1 to see far and 1 sunglasses to see far. There is an additional charge of $4.95 for the tint (sunglasses). The bi-focal still costs me $7.95 and they are exceptional. This is my first time wearing bi-focals (a little dizzy!). I had to find out which one is bi-focal as it has no line. Really good job for the bi-focal. I expect to see the little lines or the circle thingies on the lenses. Nothing.
Shipping is $9.90. Use promotional code eyebuyfreeshipping to have -$4.95 off. It's not free. I also have a code godirect to take 5% off. I am not sure if the 2nd code is stackable. I got my glass 7 days from ordering them on line, just one day later than my optometrist which I did have to drive to the place to pick up my glasses
The optician at the local optometrist) did adjust my glasses a bit when I went there to pick the glasses up. I was give a glass case (same for EyeBuyDirect). I paid $25.00 for my one pair of glasses at my optometrist with my vision insurance plan.
It costs me $33.75 for the other 3 pairs. Cannot beat that! Good luck!
www.EyeBuyDirect.com
Remember Fat Cash for an additional 6% also. (Darn, I missed that!)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
obviously this whole zenni / EBD debate comes down to personal experiences. there's been people who have had negative ex... (more)

ecofrankie (Dec. 08, 2008 @ 2:59a) |

Here's a review. I bought a pair of rimless single focus glasses in May 08. They started falling apart a month or so ago... (more)

jmaclean4 (Jan. 19, 2009 @ 9:48p) |

Hey! I just opened my inbox and it seems EyeBuyDirect are having a clearance buy one get one free! not sure if this is a... (more)

NormanV (Feb. 06, 2009 @ 3:10a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

have you looked at zennioptical.com as well? i usually by my eyewear there.

mcdavey said: have you looked at zennioptical.com as well? i usually by my eyewear there.
I have tried Zennioptical.com AND Optical4less.com. This is far superior at this time.

Where is their lab or from where do the glasses ship?

I've been totally sold on Zenni, but coupons, FatCash, faster shipping... I guess I'll have to try this place next time.

dwit said: Where is their lab or from where do the glasses ship?

I've been totally sold on Zenni, but coupons, FatCash, faster shipping... I guess I'll have to try this place next time.

I bought from Zenni and Optical4Less also, especially when they have those crazy sales. My glasses were shipped priority from Santa Rosa, California. My guess is that the glasses are made in the same place like with Zenni and Optical4Less in order to achieve such a low cost: i.e. China. The cost is about the same with Zenni, but if you need special glasses like bi-focal, high index etc...then the saving is phenomenal. I entered my order on 2 websites at the same time and I can see my 25% savings with EyeBuyDirect.I also forgot to do the FatCash or it was not there when I ordered my glasses last week. The other 2 companies took longer to ship their glasses to me: an average of 2 weeks with regular first class shipping in addition to shipping from China. EyeBuyDirect also has a 100% guarantee policy that they will refund your money even if your spouse does not like the glasses i.e refund for any reason, the dog chews on the glasses.... That's pretty good. Not that I will ever need this policy: no dog and I don't care what the spouse will say.

I haven't yet ordered from any of them (I do plan on it soon), however the other sites only give 50% refund, this place gives 100% (besides for shipping).
This place does not have any resellerratings reviews.

I have never bought online glasses.
Can some1 tell me how they handle fit and high index lenses?

I have an odd head & glasses don't fit easily.
& I'm blind as a bat @ -8.5 for each eye.

Any comments are welcome.
Keep the shrek thing to a minimum please.

labwiz said: I have tried all el cheapo eye glasses online places and found this to be superior in value and service. With a good prescription in hand and a PD measurement (distance between the pupils I was told), you can access the website and choose the frames that you like depending on your needs (bi focal and progressive must pick that choice in order to be shown suitable frames). You can upload your face picture on the website and then try the frames on your face. They do show some "faces" with the frames on them to give you an idea. It's very hard to get glasses when you cannot try them on. If you have a big face, go with something with the largest widths. They have all the measurements for you to look at. Of course, you can pay more with fancier frames. I am cheap (frugal).
I paid a total of $33.75 for 3 pairs of prescription glasses included shipping: 1 bi-focals, 1 to see far and 1 sunglasses to see far. There is an additional charge of $4.95 for the tint (sunglasses). The bi-focal still costs me $7.95 and they are exceptional. This is my first time wearing bi-focals (a little dizzy!). I had to find out which one is bi-focal as it has no line. Really good job for the bi-focal. I expect to see the little lines or the circle thingies on the lenses. Nothing.
Shipping is $9.90. Use promotional code eyebuyfreeshipping to have -$4.95 off. It's not free. I also have a code godirect to take 5% off. I am not sure if the 2nd code is stackable. I got my glass 7 days from ordering them on line, just one day later than my optometrist which I did have to drive to the place to pick up my glasses
The optician at the local optometrist) did adjust my glasses a bit when I went there to pick the glasses up. I was give a glass case (same for EyeBuyDirect). I paid $25.00 for my one pair of glasses at my optometrist with my vision insurance plan.
www.EyeBuyDirect.com

Don't know how you only paid $33.75 for 3 pairs of glasses with one pair of bi-focals. When I tried, the bi-focal len is $19.95 extra. With a $7.95 frame, the bi-focal would be at least $27.90 before shipping and any extra len treatment.

Not trying to thread crap or anything, just stating what I've observed since I haven't tried EyeBuyDirect but have bought from zenni several times so I can't compare overall quality. I can say that after a brief browsing that EyeBuyDirect's website is definately superior with the EyeTry feature to upload your picture to virtually try on the frames. But the prices are significantly higher comparatively at EyeBuyDirect vs zenni. The basic lense is 1.5 index material while at zenni, the basic lense material is 1.57 index. The 1.57 index "upgrade" at EyeBuyDirect is $25 and UV coating is a seperate cost. So just by the numbers, the cost is definately in favor of zenni even with the FatCash and coupons. Again, I can't compare the quality but is the quality that significantly higher at EyeBuyDirect.

A lot of online eyeglasses stores charge extra for a high-degree glasses. Apparently, this one does not. There's also a $5 shipping, so I'll probably just wait until my glasses break.

I got sunglasses at Zenni which came out way too dark, and they agreed to a 50 percent refund. The regular eyeglasses and prescription safety goggles worked out fine.

However, I'll never order from Select Specs again. When my prescription sunglasses arrived looking ridiculously small, they wouldn't even work with me. I lost more than a hundred bucks on that deal.

EyeBuyDirect sounds worth a try.

Username372 said: I have never bought online glasses.
Can some1 tell me how they handle fit and high index lenses?

I have an odd head & glasses don't fit easily.
& I'm blind as a bat @ -8.5 for each eye.

Any comments are welcome.
Keep the shrek thing to a minimum please.

Go slowly by trying to order one pair first.
Look at the measurements of the frames to fit your needs.
Measure your current frame to compare with the one online.
Take your prescription and order.
Return if you don't like the glasses. You will only loose the shipping.
I am also blind and old and nearsignted with twisted and wandering eyes. PRK fixed things for about 5 years. Back to the drawing board. Good luck.
To have the glasses adjusted for you, you can go to a WalMart vision center and buy a repair kit or something and ask the nice optician at WalMart vision to adjust the glasses for you while she/he checks you out. (I have done this). Of course, you can go back to your optometrist and have them adjust the frames for you.

JimsEmptyWallet said: labwiz said: I have tried all el cheapo eye glasses online places and found this to be superior in value and service. With a good prescription in hand and a PD measurement (distance between the pupils I was told), you can access the website and choose the frames that you like depending on your needs (bi focal and progressive must pick that choice in order to be shown suitable frames). You can upload your face picture on the website and then try the frames on your face. They do show some "faces" with the frames on them to give you an idea. It's very hard to get glasses when you cannot try them on. If you have a big face, go with something with the largest widths. They have all the measurements for you to look at. Of course, you can pay more with fancier frames. I am cheap (frugal).
www.EyeBuyDirect.com

Don't know how you only paid $33.75 for 3 pairs of glasses with one pair of bi-focals. When I tried, the bi-focal len is $19.95 extra. With a $7.95 frame, the bi-focal would be at least $27.90 before shipping and any extra len treatment.

Well, may be EyeBuyDirect screwed up and gave me a pair of progressive glasses at the regular 7.95 price. I just went in to pick my frame and add my prescription with all the details and paid and pronto the glasses came. Luck??? or Screw up???
I also ordered 2 pairs from Zenni the same day as I have always ordered from them before. The Zenni glases are not here yet.

Legin said: Not trying to thread crap or anything, just stating what I've observed since I haven't tried EyeBuyDirect but have bought from zenni several times so I can't compare overall quality. I can say that after a brief browsing that EyeBuyDirect's website is definately superior with the EyeTry feature to upload your picture to virtually try on the frames. But the prices are significantly higher comparatively at EyeBuyDirect vs zenni. The basic lense is 1.5 index material while at zenni, the basic lense material is 1.57 index. The 1.57 index "upgrade" at EyeBuyDirect is $25 and UV coating is a seperate cost. So just by the numbers, the cost is definately in favor of zenni even with the FatCash and coupons. Again, I can't compare the quality but is the quality that significantly higher at EyeBuyDirect.
I just went in and tried again. The shipping went down to $4.95. The code for free shipping no longer works and the 5% off code is ok. It will only take one code. Not stackable. I think that I got a real good pair of bi focals without charge because I entered the data for bi-focals with a single vision choice. The tech that did my glasses just followed the instructions and the data; he/she was not concerned about the cost of the glasses. So I got free upgrade.

I have never used online buying for eyeglasses before
- are there any issues with ordering for kids?
- what if they screw up on the prescription? do we ship back glasses etc?

labwiz said: Legin said: Not trying to thread crap or anything, just stating what I've observed since I haven't tried EyeBuyDirect but have bought from zenni several times so I can't compare overall quality. I can say that after a brief browsing that EyeBuyDirect's website is definately superior with the EyeTry feature to upload your picture to virtually try on the frames. But the prices are significantly higher comparatively at EyeBuyDirect vs zenni. The basic lense is 1.5 index material while at zenni, the basic lense material is 1.57 index. The 1.57 index "upgrade" at EyeBuyDirect is $25 and UV coating is a seperate cost. So just by the numbers, the cost is definately in favor of zenni even with the FatCash and coupons. Again, I can't compare the quality but is the quality that significantly higher at EyeBuyDirect.
I just went in and tried again. The shipping went down to $4.95. The code for free shipping no longer works and the 5% off code is ok. It will only take one code. Not stackable. I think that I got a real good pair of bi focals without charge because I entered the data for bi-focals with a single vision choice. The tech that did my glasses just followed the instructions and the data; he/she was not concerned about the cost of the glasses. So I got free upgrade.

I wish I have you luck. When I click bi-focals, $19.95 is added to the running total right away. I guess the sun, the moon and the stars need to line up perfectly to have that happen.

Don't click bi focals and keep on going and add all your number to the single vision glass. The stars and the moon may line up perfectly. For Zenni and other places, you cannot add the bi-focals measurements when you did not check bi-focals. I did not check anything and kept on going and the system let me add all those numbers. Therefore I got a great pair of bi-focals at single vision price. Now that everyone has been disputing my payment, I have gone back and looked at how I ordered and bingo! They may discover this flaw real soon and stop this from happening.

Warning! These people really suck.

I purchased two pair during the B1G1 deal back in Dec. One pair is ok. The second pair, was nowhere near as it was described on the website, cheap flimsy. Their response to me was that since I had received two pair of eyeglasses for $25, that they were under no obligation to either 1) change out the frame, 2) grant me a new order, or 3) give me a discount on the present or future order. The kicker is that they were well aware that this particular frame is defective. They merely referred me to a well hidden policy on their website that states you agree to an "as is" purchase.

My next pair will come from Zenni. The two pairs that I ordered from them are still flawless after three years and I am rough with eyeglasses. Too bad my Rx changes every year.

Retailnever said: Warning! These people really suck.

I purchased two pair during the B1G1 deal back in Dec. One pair is ok. The second pair, was nowhere near as it was described on the website, cheap flimsy. Their response to me was that since I had received two pair of eyeglasses for $25, that they were under no obligation to either 1) change out the frame, 2) grant me a new order, or 3) give me a discount on the present or future order. The kicker is that they were well aware that this particular frame is defective. They merely referred me to a well hidden policy on their website that states you agree to an "as is" purchase.

My next pair will come from Zenni. The two pairs that I ordered from them are still flawless after three years and I am rough with eyeglasses. Too bad my Rx changes every year.

Report them to BBB as they do belong to BBB.

Retailnever said: Warning! These people really suck.

Do you still have the link to the "hidden policy"?
How does that fit with complete refunds if returned for ANY reason?

Customers are not bound by "hidden policies". Also, most purchases are being paid by credit cards, so if the glasses are being returned, the refund should be issued per cc policies. I would try another CSR on another day to get a resolution instead of putting up with one crummy mean CSR. This company is to refund 100% except for designer and sports frames per its statement. I do like Zenni also and I have kazillion of glasses (bad eyes) from all of them. I almost broke down and got myself 2 more pair of bi-focals then I have to resist from cheating them. I know now why I had the first pair cheap: they did not know and I still know how to get more of the same.

I looked up a copy of the email.

Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting EyeBuyDirect.

We are sorry to hear that the glasses do not fit you. However, the dimension listed on the website are indeed correct. We have measured the size of the frame and you can also see the dimension of the frame listed on the side arm. Because this is a free frame which you have availed from our promotion, we regret to inform you that we cannot process a one time replacement pair for you.
Please feel free to contact us again should you have any further queries. Our toll free number is 1-866-439-6628 and business hours are from 9am to 5pm (Eastern Standard Time), Mondays to Fridays.

Regards,

Gen
EyeBuyDirect
Optics Interactive

Of course, they had a different excuse when I called the 800 number about checking the link via the website, yadda, yadda. If I would have filed a dispute with my CC company, how could I dispute a charge for a free pair. Aha, so that is the catch, which ever pair is defective, that is the free pair. You can not dispute a charge for an item that you did not pay for.

Retailnever said: I looked up a copy of the email.

Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting EyeBuyDirect.

We are sorry to hear that the glasses do not fit you. However, the dimension listed on the website are indeed correct. We have measured the size of the frame and you can also see the dimension of the frame listed on the side arm. Because this is a free frame which you have availed from our promotion, we regret to inform you that we cannot process a one time replacement pair for you.
Please feel free to contact us again should you have any further queries. Our toll free number is 1-866-439-6628 and business hours are from 9am to 5pm (Eastern Standard Time), Mondays to Fridays.

Regards,

Gen
EyeBuyDirect
Optics Interactive

Of course, they had a different excuse when I called the 800 number about checking the link via the website, yadda, yadda. If I would have filed a dispute with my CC company, how could I dispute a charge for a free pair. Aha, so that is the catch, which ever pair is defective, that is the free pair. You can not dispute a charge for an item that you did not pay for.

Why not just ask for a refund on the entire order? Send them all their crap back.

My exact feeling: if you do not want 1/2 of my business, you shall not have ANY of my business and I will tell the whole world how you have treated your customers and how you have NOT honored your guarantee. Send the whole crap back, get the whole refund and send them the link to these posts. There....I have one very good experience with them, but it does not mean that everyone will have the same experience.

Zenni has a better website because you can partially search for frame sizes.

There is no point on these websites of initially selecting frames by how they look because they may be the wrong size. I search for all the frames which are the correct size and then select among these for which one looks the best. There will only be around four frames which will fit me. On the Zenni website you can search for frames which contain say, 20mm, on EyeBuyDirect.com this type of search is impossible.

labwiz said: My exact feeling: if you do not want 1/2 of my business, you shall not have ANY of my business and I will tell the whole world how you have treated your customers and how you have NOT honored your guarantee. Send the whole crap back, get the whole refund and send them the link to these posts. There....I have one very good experience with them, but it does not mean that everyone will have the same experience.

I assume Retailnever didn't return the whole order because of cost. He has to ship the glasses back at his expense and they will only refund the glasses' cost but not the original shipping & handling fees. At the end, he may out $15 without anything to show for instead of one pair of usable glasses for $25.

I compare their price with Zenni and they both cost about the same. The only way to save at EyeBuyDirect is not to go for the extras Zenni included in their basic price. For me, I will go with Zenni.

A Google group has has some comments on EBD.

I got my Zenni glasses today via regular shipping (5 days after EBD). I am very happy with my glasses, just regular single vision. I was unable to enter bifocal data without choosing bifocal to begin with. The pairs from EBD cannot be beat: they were fast and great and cheap. Overall, I think that they are both pretty good. All the horrors stories about shipping from EBD can happen to any vendors out of the countries. They tried their best and the stuff get stuck in their shipping maze manned by their government. DHL would be better if used, but more expensive. About the lenses, your guys must be dreaming if you think that they would use expensive manufacturers then turn around and charge you 12.00/pair. A friend optometrist told us that their cost for frames is about 10.00/piece and he would mark the frame up about 1200%. I think that the cost is lower now.

One benefit to Zenni, they can go much higher on the prescription than EyeBuyDirect can. EBD doesn't even go to my power.

Guess I'll stick with Zenni for now. They have a pretty long and good history here at FW.

Maybe one of these days EBD can build such a history.

Zenni WILLscrew you over if you have a problem with their glasses, and they will lie through their ears when you try to get a recourse from them. The amount of work they put into screwing their customers, like lying to them, to CC companies and BBB is amazing! Of course, there are a lot of advocates who keep repeating their mantra about how great Zenni is, because most of them get their prescriptions right, but I strongly discourage you from ordering if you have stronger prescriptions or considering some pricier options like photochromic. All of a sudden, it's not that cheap anymore, when you spend around $100 for a defective pair of glasses with no recourse from those crooks. Or, at least, check their BBB record before you do.

BTW, I did get my money back from my CC company.

One can mainly fall back on personal experience. I've ordered a total of 4 pairs in 2 orders from Zenni. Everything was perfect.

Zenni has a long ongoing thread here with seemingly mostly positive experiences by far. As the Op has noted, no company can be perfect all the time, but Zenni certainly seems to be able to garner the support of most of the crowd here.

I'm planning to order from Zenni. My prescription says DS or PS under cylinder for my right eye. I have no idea what this means and how it translates when I place an order on Zenni. Any suggestions??

OS means left
OD means Right
Under CYL, you will have data for stigmatism. OS with something under CYL means that the left eye has some stigmatism. Mine even have Axis on it.
Anyone that can help this OP better, please jump right in. You can also do a print screen of Zenni or any other glasses website blank DATA sheet and have your doctor or optician fill it out for you. I copy the following stuff from the net:

SPH = SPHERE - The amount of long or short sightedness. This value specifies the optical power of a lens in diopters. It always has a plus (+) or a minus (-) sign in front or above it. The lens power for the distance correction will be minus while the correction for near distance and reading will be plus power. There will always be a value for sphere, even if it is just zero (written as 0.00, Plano or P). If the vision in one eye is very poor, the word 'balance' or 'bal' may be written.
CYL = CYLINDER - This is the measure for astigmatism. Again, there is always a plus (+) or minus (-) sign present. There may not be a value of cylinder in your prescription.
AXIS - This will only appear if there is a value for cylinder, as it relates to the cylindrical lens and denotes a reference point that indicates the direction of the power of the cylindrical lens. It will be a number between 1 and 180. It may or may not be written with a degree 'o' symbol after the number. In some prescriptions, the axis value is indicated on a semi- circular scale. This should be read to the nearest 5 degrees.
PRISM is a box on the rx prescription form that is not normally filled in. Occasionally, when the two eyes are not properly aligned and looking directly at the same thing, PRISM can be ground into the lenses in order to re-align them. This can occur with strabismus (ie - an eye turn) or in situations where the eyes are properly aligned but are under a tremendous amount of strain in order to keep them aligned. The value under the 'prism' heading denotes the strength of the prism.
BASE - rotation of the prism that is simply specified as 'base in' (where 'in' means towards the nose)or 'base out' or 'base up' or 'base down'. Only these four positions exist, however, orientations between these four positions can be specified by using combinations of horizontal and vertical prisms in the same lens.
PD = PUPILLARY DISTANCE - This measurement is used to accurately center the lenses in the frame that you have selected. PD is the distance from the center of the pupil (black circle) in one eye to the center of the pupil in the other eye. It is called Binocular PD. In cases where the pupils are not equidistant from the nose, a monocular PD is required. Monocular Pupil Distance is measured from the centerline of the nose to each pupil. In such a case you will have different values for the right eye (OD PD) and the left eye (OS PD). Another reason for more than one Pupil Distance is the need to correct both distance and near vision. In this case the prescription will state Near PD and Dist PD. The Near PD measurement is shorter than the Distance PD by 2 to 5 mm because the eyes turn in at near distance.

PD measurement is a must for all RX orders for it insures that your prescription lenses in your glasses are alligned properly in front of the eyes. If you are unable have your Pupil Distance measured by optician, you can try our printable millimeter ruler.

kaythay said: I'm planning to order from Zenni. My prescription says DS or PS under cylinder for my right eye. I have no idea what this means and how it translates when I place an order on Zenni. Any suggestions??

If you don't have astigmatism correction, doctors might just leave CYL blank or simply SPH or DS which means Sphere or Diopters Sphere. Axis should be from 1-180 degrees, if you see a value like '5' under axis, this is also the same as '005' or '5 degrees'. It should always be a whole number and there should no be decimal point on the axis

I received my order today after using the info in the OP. This was 1000X faster than using insurance!

I ordered prescription sunglasses with 80% darkness. Because today was downpours and T-storms all day, I could not test out the corrective factor of the glasses so well.

I ordered these $18 http://www.EyeBuyDirect.com/110-p-1325.html frames which looked like they might have the thickest metal. I can't say how long-lasting they will be, but I can say they are very lightweight. Not exactly a bad thing, because I am sure these will be comfortable.

RIP

You should pick your shade depending on where you live. I also use 80% since I live in VERY sunny Houston Texas. Some people may find 80% to be too dark elswhere.

I can't find an online source for my prescription. The 2nd number for one lens is +7.50 and most sites only list to about +5.00. I found one that went to +7.00, but that's the highest so far. I like to have a spare pair as backup specs since mine are hard to get if I have a problem.

Any other recommendation for an online source is appreciated.

Received my pair from EBD yesterday and they are perfect. Not sure why, but Zenni never got my prescription right after 3x and it's not an uncommon prescription. Oh well, thanks OP. I'll be getting my future glasses from EBD.

Do any of these places take the frames you send them?

I have some sunglasses that need RX lenses.

Thanks

Skipping 7 Messages...
Hey! I just opened my inbox and it seems EyeBuyDirect are having a clearance buy one get one free! not sure if this is a stock clearance or perhaps they are going out of business like everybody else, but I am going to make use of this for sure!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014