• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
mmaier2 said: My wife works at the WalMart in Jefferson, WI. They are honoring the $398 price that was printed in the mailed weekly flyer in our area. Appartently it was a misprint and was supposed to be $498, but since it was printed they have to honor that price. You should have gotten a flyer in the mail on Friday or Saturday. Bring that into the store if you are doubting you will get the price.

After looking further, the other flyers in Wisconsin do have it printed as $494. So maybe we just had the wrong flyer mailed in our area. I'm guessing it isn't WalMart's fault for the price being more in Wisconsin, it is probably some crazy restrictions on sales put in place by Jim Doyle that aren't allowing them to sell it at that price.

So, check the flyer you got in the mail. If that says $398 then the store has to honor it. Otherwise, if you really want it, drive to Jefferson to get one (they had 20 in stock and were releasing them at 8am). Of course if it is going to take $100 in gas to get here then it isn't worth it.



RE:
but since it was printed they have to honor that price


The do not "HAVE" to honor anything.
They have disclaimers in the store on advertised pricing erors.

The ad clearly states:
Not responceble for errors in ad.
And price may vary in Wisconsin and other states.

When you are on FW and you know there are others for 399 better than this going to be available, why I see any interest in this one, no one replied that?

yesidonoitall said: mmaier2 said: My wife works at the WalMart in Jefferson, WI. They are honoring the $398 price that was printed in the mailed weekly flyer in our area. Appartently it was a misprint and was supposed to be $498, but since it was printed they have to honor that price. You should have gotten a flyer in the mail on Friday or Saturday. Bring that into the store if you are doubting you will get the price.

After looking further, the other flyers in Wisconsin do have it printed as $494. So maybe we just had the wrong flyer mailed in our area. I'm guessing it isn't WalMart's fault for the price being more in Wisconsin, it is probably some crazy restrictions on sales put in place by Jim Doyle that aren't allowing them to sell it at that price.

So, check the flyer you got in the mail. If that says $398 then the store has to honor it. Otherwise, if you really want it, drive to Jefferson to get one (they had 20 in stock and were releasing them at 8am). Of course if it is going to take $100 in gas to get here then it isn't worth it.



RE:
but since it was printed they have to honor that price


The do not "HAVE" to honor anything.
They have disclaimers in the store on advertised pricing erors.

The ad clearly states:
Not responceble for errors in ad.
And price may vary in Wisconsin and other states.


I agree. The OP should include in his or her title "YMMV."

davneil said: When you are on FW and you know there are others for 399 better than this going to be available, why I see any interest in this one, no one replied that?


This offer is NOW.
I will be going to my WM shortly, and it is confirmed to be a Celeron.
I resell, the only problem is the model number, it is unique to WM.
eBay had none listed yesterday, right now there is 8.

Thanks for the update info. I went in late last night as I was out near my local WalMart to see if anything was out early...no luck. But if it confirmed as a Celeron, I'll just pass. Many other better deals out there ion my opinion.

Good hunting.

Celeron... Not for me

But thanks for posting OP

Confirmed for price, i got 2. Showed up at 8:10 this morning and the guy said some people were there waiting as early as 6 am to get this at Audubon, Pa

It is a Celeron

I just got mine. It is an intel celeron with a vista home premuim. Was able to fire it up right out of the box and connect ! Went early in the morning around 7:15 and was able to leave WalMart by 8:05. There were close to a 100 people in the store. Been wanting to buy a new machine for a long time and the price was just right. Thanks !

Does anyone know the Windows Experience Index? how does the CPU rate? Video?

Picked one up for the wife, after removing Vista and installing XP it is very responsive now.

Installed all of her favorite Reflexive games. (All run great without issues)

Installed Diablo II and Never Winter Nights platinum and they both run well also.

I am sure this will suite her fine, I know people scoff at the Celeron 540, but it is based on Core 2 technology and most everything a common person uses does not benefit at all from multiple cores. Benchmarks are just benchmarks. I can't tell the difference between this Celeron in XP between my other higher end notebook when doing common tasks in XP.


Mobile Intel Celeron 540 - 1866 Mhz 14x133
Intel Crestline-GML GL960
2038 Mb ram DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM
Video: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
3D Accelerator: Intel GMA X3100
Realtek ALC268 ICH8M HD Audio Controller
Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet

Windows Experience Index base score of 3.1

Processor: 4.1
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 3.1
Gaming graphics: 3.3
Primary hard disk: 5.2

Thanks for the Index score #s. Should be good enough, but I may dual boot XP/Vista til I get use to the new O/S.
I bought the extended 2 year service plan for $60. Any thoughts?

Plenty left in Medford Oregon.
(non tech capitol of the worlds)

WalMart in Rosemead, CA has plenty as of 5 pm ... It looks very bulky, and it's a Celeron... so I'll pass......

At least two left in the display cage @ Newburgh, NY; not exactly selling like hotcakes.

msalm said: Windows Experience Index base score of 3.1

Processor: 4.1
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 3.1
Gaming graphics: 3.3
Primary hard disk: 5.2
Dell M1530

Processor: 4.7 (Core2duo T5450, 1.66GHz)
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 4.0 (GeForce 8400M GS)
Gaming graphics: 4.6
Hard disk: 4.9

The only real, perceptible difference is in Graphics.

Just got this unit... i noticed though that its flash card reader could not read my 2GB SDHC card. It works fine for SD cards that are 1GB or less. Anybody else have the same problem?

jerrydy,

Most likely, your card reader only supports regular SD cards, and does not support the newer, SDHC card format. SDHC cards look identical to standard SD cards, but they are not backwards compatible in SD card readers. You'll need a USB SDHC card reader for that card, or alternately, you can use your digital camera as a card reader and connect it via the USB cable that came with the camera.

Hope this helps.

We got this device and are a bit flummoxed and love help. Our belkin wireless card will not fit in this computer. What to do? More importantly - how much will it cost -- & is it better to get the whatever fix or to spend money on a different device. Appreciate any input.

medglenn101 said: Our belkin wireless card will not fit in this computer. What to do?You don't need the belkin wireless card. Wireless card is built-in. There should be a switch to turn it on/off. (Suggest you read whatever document that came with the system.) Also, there should be an icon with red X mark over two computers in system tray. Right-click it.

HOW CAN IT BE SO CHEAP?

jerrydy said: Just got this unit... i noticed though that its flash card reader could not read my 2GB SDHC card. It works fine for SD cards that are 1GB or less. Anybody else have the same problem?The reader must not be SDHC compatible. Check Toshiba and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the reader. USB SDHC reader is available for like $6/7 at DealExtreme, Meritline and PCMicrostore.

I picked one up for my wife yesterday @ Parmatown WalMart in Cleveland, OH (44130). Looks to be a good machine for her. We're by no means power users. We might go back to XP though due to some compatibility issues with some hardware we have.

BTW, 2 more left after we bought this one.

audio123 said: HOW CAN IT BE SO CHEAP?

Because its a picture of a laptop in the box.

BeefyBox said: Thanks for the Index score #s. Should be good enough, but I may dual boot XP/Vista til I get use to the new O/S.
I bought the extended 2 year service plan for $60. Any thoughts?


I picked this up in Fargo ND yesterday. They had 9 at the time, they had 3 left today. I bought the 2 year extended warranty for 60.00 but on my way out the door I read the pamphlet and it showed purchases between 300-499 was 29.99 for the warranty, so today I went back for clarification and they gave me a 30.00 refund. Why would they be charging people 60 when it says in the brochure it's 30?

For what I need it for it's a solid little machine. 15.4 inch monitor, vista included, enough ram to do what laptops do, all in all I'm pretty happy. I obviously dont plan to game with mine or it wouldn't work out well but I'm playing rise of nations and FATE just fine.

On a side note, they wanted 29.99 for the Targus bag that fit it perfectly but I wasn't paying that so I went to SAVERS, a thrift store chain, and picked up a nice one for 3.99.

audio123 said: HOW CAN IT BE SO CHEAP?

My guess is that they wanted to close out the rest of these celeron 540 M chips. Seeing as how Toshiba acts like they dont even know this machine exists and WalMart is the only one selling them so cheap, it furthers my theory that they are just trying to dump them.

When you pick up the laptop you immediately can tell it's built cheaper. It's all plastic, including the chassis, and there isn't even the nice protective sticker on the outside that all the other Satellites have. It's a VERY cheaply built machine which is why they are able to sell them so cheap. I'm happy with it though.

My son bought this computer last night. He is 11 and has been saving since christmas. Worked well right out of the box. May not be great, but a good buy for the money!!

Having trouble installing XP on a new hard drive.
When the installer finishes XP sp2 does not see the drive.
Tried the XP BIOS from Toshiba web site v5.6.0 and the F6 option for load ICH8M drivers
The BIOS & Hirens CD both see it. any help would bee great.

Mikecouil said: audio123 said: HOW CAN IT BE SO CHEAP?

My guess is that they wanted to close out the rest of these celeron 540 M chips. Seeing as how Toshiba acts like they dont even know this machine exists and WalMart is the only one selling them so cheap, it furthers my theory that they are just trying to dump them.

When you pick up the laptop you immediately can tell it's built cheaper. It's all plastic, including the chassis, and there isn't even the nice protective sticker on the outside that all the other Satellites have. It's a VERY cheaply built machine which is why they are able to sell them so cheap. I'm happy with it though.



WM has their own model numbers, just like they do with Dell, Compaq and eMachine...
Similar models are built better because WM wants a low price....

Does anyone know what the return policy is?

:hmm...

Return Policy : 15 Days - Full Refund (no restocking fees) with receipt

Mine all sold on eBay....
Very happy....


Here the link for support from Toshiba

I would like to dual boot XP/Vista

Any ideas on getting XP on this box?
having trouble finding the right storage driver for XP (F6)

http://www.csd.Toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelLanding.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Satellite&model_find=A205-S5000&ProductMenu_2=2106078&moid=2106078&rpn=PSAE3U&smoid=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model&x=44&y=7

yesidonoitall said: Mine all sold on eBay....
Very happy....



seemed hardly worth the effort. treat yourself to a nice dinner with the proceeds, but that's about it.

navelgaze said: yesidonoitall said: Mine all sold on eBay....
Very happy....



seemed hardly worth the effort. treat yourself to a nice dinner with the proceeds, but that's about it.



You have to look at it this way....
Going to WM anyway, to get a few dinners for free, well worth it.

Hi, Gary here. Can you tell me if you had any problems installing XP on theToshiba A205-S5000 If so can you let me know? I am a novice?
Hi2again@aol.com

I wanted to dual boot XP/Vista

Needed the right storage driver for XP (F6)

Search Toshiba site for "ICH8M"

need this file
Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E) hardware

I used a USB Floppy

Do not change BIOS version

Here the link for support the A205-S5000 from Toshiba
the driver listed there did not work for me

http://www.csd.Toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelLanding.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Satellite&model_find=A205-S5000&ProductMenu_2=2106078&moid=2106078&rpn=PSAE3U&smoid=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model&x=44&y=7

Got one yesterday from Littleton NH. Never had a chance to visit this small town before. Very nice, clean community, and of course, nice computer. Thanks OP.

audio123 said: HOW CAN IT BE SO CHEAP?Because the CAPS lock key is broken, but it should work just fine for you.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014