• filter:
  • 15 6 78979
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My old S410 elph was having the dreaded "E3" error and the lens would not come out, long after the warranty was expired. I started taking it apart to fix it myself using a step by step how to web site's instructions but got distracted by other things before I could finish the job. Then I just did not want to finish as there were a lot more steps to it and left it and bought a new SD800 IS (which I love).

Can I send this partially disassembled S410 in for credit or does the non-working camera have to be fully assembled?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to put it back together and called them and was able to get a Rebel XT for $304 shipped, after tax. Nice deal! (I wonder if my film Rebel EOS lens will fit this digital Rebel...)

rated:
The picture is in the photographer...not in the equipment

Ah yes, expected that.. but I've been shooting for 30 years and know what I can and can't do, and can still push them out with film, but this canon series is not what they promised. Shots are composed nicely and focused, but still soft and flat. they cleanup fairly well in PS, but shouldn't have to do that every time.

If you do go with it, be prepared to replace the kit lens, even Canon has admitted it's flawed and has dropped it from their line.

rated:
I have an A80 with broken LCD. I am undecided to choose between SD1000 or the SX100 IS. Does anyone find that the Image Stabilizer (IS) function make any different?

rated:
SWACKMAN said: The picture is in the photographer...not in the equipment

Ah yes, expected that.. but I've been shooting for 30 years and know what I can and can't do, and can still push them out with film, but this canon series is not what they promised. Sots are composed nicely and focused, but still soft and flat. Ithey cleanup fairly well in PS, but shouldn't have to do that every time.

If you do go with it, be prepared to replace the kit lens, even Canon has admitted it's flawed and has dropped it from their line.

Just out of curiosity, do you do your own developing and printing with film?
Not being sarcastic.

The reason I ask is that almost all film processing systems do the post processing that you would have to do in photoshop with digital (sharpening and contrast enhancement.) So it isn't that digital doesn't have it, there just isn't an intermediary (film processor) doing it for you.

But, you can set higher levels of sharpening and contrast (or saturation I can't remember which) in the camera, if you are willing to live with the possible artifacts that it can create.

rated:
No, and I don't print the digitals either. Are you a Canon shooter? They did have an underexposure issue, that is listed on their site, but when I sent mine back it came back with no changes

rated:
above said: Does anyone find that the Image Stabilizer (IS) function make any different?

Yes, it really helps. And it's "majorly" better on video.

The question you should be asking is do you want a small pocketable camera or more manual control. (OK the SX100 has 10x zoom too) Otherwise without considering the IS, the guts of these cameras (SX100 and SD1000) are about the same.

rated:
SWACKMAN said: No, and I don't print the digitals either. Are you a Canon shooter? They did have an underexposure issue, that is listed on their site, but when I sent mine back it came back with no changes

I shot a 10D for about 4 years and now it mostly sits in my bag while I shoot a 40D.
I'm afraid I don't know about the underexposure issue.

If you aren't completely discouraged and want to learn more about shooting digital, I'd head to the forums at www.dpreview.com. They have a very active forum just for the digital rebels. The people in the rebel forum are generally friendlier than the people in the 40D/30D/20D/10D forum, who can be a little snarky. But as with most forums, do some searching around the forum and reading posts if you have a question, just to make sure it hasn't been covered a hundred times before.

It does take some time going from film or P&S cameras to DSLRs, I wasn't used to having to do a lot of the work myself. When I first made the switch my photos were horrendous. But I did a lot of reading and asking questions, and now I think I'm doing pretty well.

rated:
Had a broken S410 that I now will make into a ~$270 G9. Figured I can use it for a little and still probably sell it for $300 or so easily (even if "G10" comes out soon).

I am not sure if anyone noted, but I was told on the phone that these cameras comes with a 6 month _replacement_ warranty. I.e. if you have any problem that tech support thinks is a real problem, they will ship a new camera to you with a pre-paid return box for the old. That's very nice I think. Better than you get with a brand new camera.

Thanks OP!

rated:
MangoGT said: Jobowoo said: neoneyelyts said: is this true? does anyone tried it?
Yes I did tried it and it is true.

I traded in my G3 for a Rebel XT for ~$310 w/ tax and shipping.

Good deal, but isn't that close to the new price?

Price Grabber: Canon XT w/ lens

The cheapest price listed on Price Grabber is $389 for a REFURBISHED one. The cheapest price for a new one is $468.

rated:
burb72 said: would there be anyway to talk them into an is lens instead of the standard lens on the xt, just wondered if anyone tried

They are pretty hard and fast on what they offer. No go for an Xti or switching out the lens of the XT. I traded in an SD200 with a busted LCD that I bought for $10 on Craigslist.

rated:
I called and asked if there were any other options for the lens on the xt, like could i pay a few more bucks and get something else. a big nope. Im not sure where all the kit lenses go? There must be alot somewhere because it seems no one shoots with it.

rated:
I have an A400 and unfortunately the only cameras they offered were the A460 ($79), the A560 ($89), and the SD750 ($100). I was hoping for the SX100 at least...

rated:
Years ago I dunked a Canon G1. It was ruined, so reluctantly, I bought another. Luckily I still have the ruined G1. Thanks to the helpful posts on this board, and the great staff at Canon, I now have a refurbished G9 en route for just $260.00+, and Canon will get my old G1 by return mail. So, THANKS! everybody; I would not have known of this deal without you!
Larry

rated:
hbdragon88 said: I have an A400 and unfortunately the only cameras they offered were the A460 ($79), the A560 ($89), and the SD750 ($100). I was hoping for the SX100 at least...

That's a totally different list of cameras than what other people were offered. I wonder why?

rated:
I just replaced my A80 for the SD1000 (giving it to my mother) and my SD600 (with scratched lcd) for the SD850. Thanks OP!

rated:
wonder what color that you guys getting, i like blk much more than silver

rated:
I got a G9 250+20 tax +10 shipping, replaced my old S50 still working.

rated:
which one is the best deal G9 or XT
I just wanna have a good deal
don't care about photo that much

rated:
EL12 said: which one is the best deal G9 or XT

This might come out offensive but if your basing your choice on the feedback from Fatwallet and not doing any searching on the internet I would say 100% the G9. The XT will only come into its own if you spend the time learning how to use the manual controls and spending money on lens/flashes. With the crappy kit lens on the XT you should get better pictures with the G9 except maybe at ISO 800.

rated:
EL12 said: which one is the best deal G9 or XT

No way will you get better pics with a G9 over a Rebel XT with kit lens.

The XT is in my opinion the better deal and camera. Even considering the lens, the G9 has the same craptastic sensor that's in A-series and SDs. But, since he's just gonna fleabay, it doesn't even matter. The XT will net you the most profit.

ISO400 comparison:

XT: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xt-review/testshot-xt-400.jpg

G9: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g9-review/IMG_0206.JPG

Edit: links are a PITA, but you can find reviews at dcresource.

rated:
I traded my 5-year-old Canon SD100 (3.2MP) for the SD850 IS. This will be for my parents so the larger screen is a lot better.

rated:
dlhuss said: No way will you get better pics with a G9 over a Rebel XT with kit lens.

Do some research.

rated:
MangoGT said: dlhuss said: No way will you get better pics with a G9 over a Rebel XT with kit lens.

Do some research.

I edited my earlier post. More resolution with G9 in good light (some blown highlights and purple fringing). Everything goes downhill quickly from there as the ISO goes up.

rated:
Thanks OP.

rated:
viva said:
Oh, also wanted to point out that Canon offers this same kind of loyalty program for their camcorders and printers.

Do you have any information on camcorder trade ins?

TIA

rated:
Call and ask -- there's no obbligation.

rated:
i gotta try this when i get home

rated:
I own an SD100 but the problem is that it still works. I was told over the phone that the offer's only valid for defective cameras. What can I do to the camera to make it eligible for the offer?

rated:
PikaPichu said: I own an SD100 but the problem is that it still works. I was told over the phone that the offer's only valid for defective cameras. What can I do to the camera to make it eligible for the offer?

high heat or water damage maybe.

rated:
A large hammer or a 16 year old, either one will have the same effect.

rated:
Water damage usually voids warranty. I like the idea of a 16 year old, but that'll take me 16 years and may prove to be pretty costly in the long run.

After fiddling around with the camera for a bit, I did notice that the battery ejection system doesn't work like it used to. The battery stays stuck inside after releasing the latch and I have to shake the camera a bit to get it out. That's got to qualify right?

Does anyone know if Canon requires the battery charger to be sent along with the camera in order to get in on the deal, or is the Camera itself sufficient enough?

edit: Did a quick search on this thread and found one person who mentioned that only the camera itself is required.

rated:
PikaPichu said: Water damage usually voids warranty. I like the idea of a 16 year old, but that'll take me 16 years and may prove to be pretty costly in the long run.

After fiddling around with the camera for a bit, I did notice that the battery ejection system doesn't work like it used to. The battery stays stuck inside after releasing the latch and I have to shake the camera a bit to get it out. That's got to qualify right?

Does anyone know if Canon requires the battery charger to be sent along with the camera in order to get in on the deal, or is the Camera itself sufficient enough?

edit: Did a quick search on this thread and found one person who mentioned that only the camera itself is required.
This is not a discussion of warranty claims. This is for problems OUTSIDE (post) warranty expiration. Water damage should be fine. Yes, all they want is the actual camera body.
-cd

rated:
sherry7 said: hbdragon88 said: I have an A400 and unfortunately the only cameras they offered were the A460 ($79), the A560 ($89), and the SD750 ($100). I was hoping for the SX100 at least...

That's a totally different list of cameras than what other people were offered. I wonder why?

I think it depends on the "class" of camera or original purchase price that determines what replacements you are offered. For example, the A400 was one of their budget cameras, so you're going to be offered something comparable. If you had a digital elph, those are considered to be in one of the higher tiers so they are replacing that with another digital elph or dSLR. If you had a mid-grade A-series (such as the A60-A85), then you get offered a camera from their middle tier line (i.e. the SX100).

rated:
I have a perfectly working powershot s50. However on the dial that sets the shoot mode, all the images (icons) on the dial have rubbed off so i dont know what mode im shooting in. Do you think this will qualify for the upgrade? Im looking for a small point and shoot probably the sd850 they are offering. Im kind of afraid to go ahead and sabotage or break a perfectly working camera for this trade in program.

rated:
I tried to replace my broken EOS Digital Rebel. They said that nothing was available, I just have to send it in for repairs and they refuse to even questimate the cost. So might as well buy something else entirely as the old one just stopped turning on without any apparent cause.

rated:
I did the trade-in deal on Saturday then got an email Monday that the order was processed but still haven't gotten any kind of shipping notice. I did the 2-day shipping instead of 1-day. How long does it take to ship out once the order is placed/processed? Should I have already gotten a shipping notice?

rated:
Thanks OP, traded my broken A80 (kid dropped it) for a SD1000.

rated:
Green Green Green for OP. Thank you.

15 minutes on the phone, getting an XT ~$300/with tax & ship.

Canon just went WAY UP in my book for providing this program.
For those that do not know, the loyalty program also applies to scanners, printers, faxes etc. made by Canon.

anyone know if APPLE has such a program?????

rated:
I did a good search for refurbished xts online for 287 -- no previous camera necessary.

http://www.preferredphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3539197&l=Froogle

rated:
ztoop said: I did a good search for refurbished xts online for 287 -- no previous camera necessary.

http://www.preferredphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3539197&l=Froogle

*** Shown With Optional Lens ***
No lens is included for that price.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 15 6 78979
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014