• 173 74 75767779
  • Page
  • Text Only
FreeToFly said:   bintford said:   Canon 5D Mark II is available as of now.

Available via CLP?

I called CLP CS for my broken 60D, he basically said that I was eligible for any refurbished DSLR camera sold by Canon and get additional 15% off. When I went to Canon website, 5D Mark II was available. And no, I was not interested in that camera..

Just called Canon twice and both reps stated the 5D Mark II IS NOT available as part of the loyalty program.

Received by 60D today. Clean but there were definite signs that it is an actual refurb. Checked shutter count -- 11,274. Shipping it straight back.

Got my T3i today. It appears to be in perfect condition and ML reports 323 + 20 actuation count (shutter + live view).

skavoovie5 said:   Received by 60D today. Clean but there were definite signs that it is an actual refurb. Checked shutter count -- 11,274. Shipping it straight back.

You purchased a refurb camera and are returning it because it is refurbed and not new????
Am I missing something here?

Just as a note -- I purchased a 60D through the Canon Loyalty Program back in November. For a variety of reasons, I'm only not getting around to using it. I just noticed that the shutter count on my refurbished 60D is ~34,000. I had my old 20D for years and never got to 34,000. Unfortunately, it's too late (i.e. too far beyond the original sale) for me to request an exchange with Canon. So, although many people may get nearly-new cameras through the loyalty program, you certainly may end up with a high shutter count cam!

g12 = $349
s95 was available but not part of loyalty program... + 20% off makes it $255 + tax

wxguy1 said:   Just as a note -- I purchased a 60D through the Canon Loyalty Program back in November. For a variety of reasons, I'm only not getting around to using it. I just noticed that the shutter count on my refurbished 60D is ~34,000. I had my old 20D for years and never got to 34,000. Unfortunately, it's too late (i.e. too far beyond the original sale) for me to request an exchange with Canon. So, although many people may get nearly-new cameras through the loyalty program, you certainly may end up with a high shutter count cam!

34,000 is not that much. Most DSLRs will go to 200+K, then you refurb it and shoot another 200K. World of difference between a DSLR and a PS.

It's not uncommon for a wedding photographer to take 1000+ shots per event.

I really don't see why anyone is complaining about their "refurb" camers having some use on them. If you want new, go buy new and pay the premium price.

wxguy1 said:   Just as a note -- I purchased a 60D through the Canon Loyalty Program back in November. For a variety of reasons, I'm only not getting around to using it. I just noticed that the shutter count on my refurbished 60D is ~34,000. I had my old 20D for years and never got to 34,000. Unfortunately, it's too late (i.e. too far beyond the original sale) for me to request an exchange with Canon. So, although many people may get nearly-new cameras through the loyalty program, you certainly may end up with a high shutter count cam!

Have you been shooting a lot of video? I think I read somewhere a while back that video will dramatically increase the shutter count on Canon DSLRs. I'm not sure if that was ever verified as true, but that may provide an explanation. I would be surprised if Canon shipped out a body with that many photo clicks. Both CLP cameras I've bought had less than 1k on the shutter.

GOVOLS said:   wxguy1 said:   Just as a note -- I purchased a 60D through the Canon Loyalty Program back in November. For a variety of reasons, I'm only not getting around to using it. I just noticed that the shutter count on my refurbished 60D is ~34,000. I had my old 20D for years and never got to 34,000. Unfortunately, it's too late (i.e. too far beyond the original sale) for me to request an exchange with Canon. So, although many people may get nearly-new cameras through the loyalty program, you certainly may end up with a high shutter count cam!

Have you been shooting a lot of video? I think I read somewhere a while back that video will dramatically increase the shutter count on Canon DSLRs. I'm not sure if that was ever verified as true, but that may provide an explanation. I would be surprised if Canon shipped out a body with that many photo clicks. Both CLP cameras I've bought had less than 1k on the shutter.

Nope. To shoot a video of any length, the shutter opens and stays opened until you stop. So any length video produces 1 shutter actuation.

Canon 7D is available today. I was looking to trade in my G3 powershot. a refurb 7D is 1087 + tax with body only.
Since I already have a nikon d5000 with a 16-85 and 10-24, should I even look in getting a better canon body?

You might look at getting a newer body, but if you already have good glass for nikon, I would stick with that brand. If you decide to change to Canon, I want your 10-24mm lens!

chibimike said:   skavoovie5 said:   Received by 60D today. Clean but there were definite signs that it is an actual refurb. Checked shutter count -- 11,274. Shipping it straight back.

You purchased a refurb camera and are returning it because it is refurbed and not new????
Am I missing something here?

You obviously have not been following this thread long.

From the experience of most FWers and what the Canon reps tell you, most of these are brand new overstock returned, tested and classified as refurbished. You want a brand new body or one with 10-25% shutter life already gone? No brainer.

ciscoopa said:   34,000 is not that much. Most DSLRs will go to 200+K, then you refurb it and shoot another 200K. World of difference between a DSLR and a PS.

It's not uncommon for a wedding photographer to take 1000+ shots per event.

I really don't see why anyone is complaining about their "refurb" camers having some use on them. If you want new, go buy new and pay the premium price.

You sir obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

The shutter life expectancy, as published by Canon, of every EOS model line is 100k or less.
Likewise, the D line (40d,50d,60d,5d,7d) is 100k.
The 5D Mark II bumps up to 150k.

To get to the 200k you refer to, you've got to drop serious coin on no lesser model than the 1DS Mark II or 1D Mark II N.

The Mark III and 1DS Mark III are both 300k.

This is the "expected" shutter life, so you it can be assumed that a certain percentage of owners will fall below that, the mean will fall near that range, and a certain small percentage of owners will exceed that -- most of those will be by a small amount, and a very, very few will blow it out of the water.

Please don't spread such blatantly wrong information.

ciscoopa said:   I really don't see why anyone is complaining about their "refurb" camers having some use on them. If you want new, go buy new and pay the premium price.

The reason is that Canon reps themselves have indicated that the vast majority of these "refurbs" are new stock that could not be sold by the store that procured them, and so sent them back to Canon. This has been confirmed by the experience of the majority of the FWers on this thread. That is what has made this such a great deal from Canon.

Saving 10-20% off a body that has 25-30% already gone is not so much a bargain. A few FWers have had poor luck of the draw (myself included), but it would be stupid to stick with a bad draw like that. The majority of FWers have received a body that was brand new (maybe 20-30 actuations likely from the refurb check process).

S95 available for $207.19 now. The person said $251.99 but it ended up being less when they gave me the final price.

eeyoredu said:   S95 available for $207.19 now. The person said $251.99 but it ended up being less when they gave me the final price.

The rep I just talked to was pretty firm on it being $251. I didn't complete the whole transaction so maybe there's some new price update that won't show up until they try to process the purchase. Otherwise I think you might have just got a smokin' deal!

251 for S95 - even the final price. I suspect the discount code just changed. I was told by the rep that the code he got was effective since Friday, Apr 6. Missed by a day..., but I'll just wait since the difference with the store refurbished was just 10%.

Yeah. I was surprised when the rep gave me the final price. She originally told me $251.99 too before the ordering process. At checkout he final price was lower so I had to ask her to repeat to be sure. She mentioned that she was surprised too but to just take whatever the systems says. I gladly accepted of course.

I bought a Canon Camera in Feb 2008 while I visited Singapore.

I want to have the same exchanged / furbished. Can you help me.

Rengasamy N
Chennai

My mail id : rengasamyn@gmail.com

Thinking of getting a canon 60d from the loyalty program.
Can i trade in an elph2 film camera?
Does it have to be broken because to my knowledge it still should work?
And what is the shutter count program that everyone uses?
I want to have it ready so that I can return it right away if it's too high.
Thanks

"T2I - (with or without 18-55mm lens), $332/$448 (with 18-55mm Lens)" (updated 4/6/2012)

How did this person get the T2i body for $332? I got it for $384 before tax.

Seriously , Do you expect a 3rd person to know the answer ?
aznmoocow said:   "T2I - (with or without 18-55mm lens), $332/$448 (with 18-55mm Lens)" (updated 4/6/2012)

How did this person get the T2i body for $332? I got it for $384 before tax.

Goldrush82 said:   Thinking of getting a canon 60d from the loyalty program.
Can i trade in an elph2 film camera?
Does it have to be broken because to my knowledge it still should work?
And what is the shutter count program that everyone uses?
I want to have it ready so that I can return it right away if it's too high.
Thanks

Read the forum posts where all your questions have been answered numerous times, like everyone else has.

This isn't your personal research service.

Just let you guys know that 5D Mark II is back on the loyalty program (4/23/2012). Except right now it is out of stock. Canon Rep. told me that it will be $1408+Tax and free shipping. Good luck.

Sad remark about sales, refurb prices, coupons and loyalty program.

5D Mark II at $1408 was quoted during refurb sale (till' 4-24-12)
Price for loyalty upgrade determined at refurb website price with 20% of "loyalty credit" to Canon.
5D Mark II out of stock at $1999 (current price,) when available, it will be around $1600.
Unfortunately, $1408 will not happen.
As mentioned in another Canon SLR thread (20% coupon), it's magic: as soon as sale is over, you get camera back in stock.

Bought a 5DMkII for $1408 this afternoon. When I called the rep said that they had been back in stock for the past couple of hours.

You make it sound like Canon intentionally only offers coupons when they don't have anything in stock. I think what's really happening is that the 20% off refurbished prices are so good that they sell out of the desirable cameras very quickly.

I called a couple days ago and the 5D mark II was out of stock, but the rep was nice enough to take down my information and call me when they came into stock (thanks Vivienne!). I don't know if that's common for them to do, but if you want one try giving them a call.

ramtor said:   Sad remark about sales, refurb prices, coupons and loyalty program.

5D Mark II at $1408 was quoted during refurb sale (till' 4-24-12)
Price for loyalty upgrade determined at refurb website price with 20% of "loyalty credit" to Canon.
5D Mark II out of stock at $1999 (current price,) when available, it will be around $1600.
Unfortunately, $1408 will not happen.
As mentioned in another Canon SLR thread (20% coupon), it's magic: as soon as sale is over, you get camera back in stock.

tjhtjh said:   Bought a 5DMkII for $1408 this afternoon. When I called the rep said that they had been back in stock for the past couple of hours.What is eligible now for a 5dMKII as the trade in camera? Are Canon film SLRs accepted for the 5dMKII?

abang said:   tjhtjh said:   Bought a 5DMkII for $1408 this afternoon. When I called the rep said that they had been back in stock for the past couple of hours.What is eligible now for a 5dMKII as the trade in camera? Are Canon film SLRs accepted for the 5dMKII?

Any Canon camera

My Rebel Xti broke about a year ago (won't turn on, computer issue) and Canon is offering me the same sort of deal. I can get a T3i (body only) for $479. It will cost $222 to fix my Rebel. Just wondering if this is part of a more troublesome scheme to use inferior parts so that the camera fails after 2-3 yrs...but upsell the customer so they'll feel better about it. The 6-month warranty also makes me wary. Thoughts?

gemmom24 said:   My Rebel Xti broke about a year ago (won't turn on, computer issue) and Canon is offering me the same sort of deal. I can get a T3i (body only) for $479. It will cost $222 to fix my Rebel. Just wondering if this is part of a more troublesome scheme to use inferior parts so that the camera fails after 2-3 yrs...but upsell the customer so they'll feel better about it. The 6-month warranty also makes me wary. Thoughts?
If Canon designed their cameras to fail after 2 or 3 years, they would not remain in business. I think Canon bends over backwards to take care of their customers. For example, my A70 screen failed years after the camera warranty expired. Yet Canon fixed it for free once they realized this failure was pretty common due to a batch of bad parts. I've bought three Canons through this program over the years and they are all working fine today.

gemmom24 said:   My Rebel Xti broke about a year ago (won't turn on, computer issue) and Canon is offering me the same sort of deal. I can get a T3i (body only) for $479. It will cost $222 to fix my Rebel. Just wondering if this is part of a more troublesome scheme to use inferior parts so that the camera fails after 2-3 yrs...but upsell the customer so they'll feel better about it. The 6-month warranty also makes me wary. Thoughts?

The improvements in DSLR technology from your Xti to the T3i make it a no-brainer. What you're saying is that it will cost you $250 to upgrade from an Xti to a T3i. You get a spot meter, upgrade from the Digic 2 to Digic 4 processor (and therefore improved noise reduction, improved auto-focus performance, improved battery life, increased color depth, increased processing speed, increased shutter speed), live view, a much better LCD screen which is also movable, max ISO of 6400 -- well above the 1600 max you currently have and much better quality lower ISO, 1080p HD video recording, and more.

As to your theory about upselling -- in a word, no. There is too much competition in the DSLR market, and too much at stake with reputation. For what it's worth, my Rebel Xti that I bought in 2006 is still working great. I hope it continues to do so for several more years, although it will be taking a back seat as the backup camera to my 60d I'll be re-ordering soon after the lemon I got on my first attempt with the Canon Loyalty Program. I got one with a shutter count of over 11,000 -- more than 10% of its expected shutter life gone. Shipped it right back for a refund.

That brings me to a final point -- if your Xti repair does not include a replacement shutter, you're throwing money at a camera that is going to die again sooner than a replacement. Your expected shutter life on an Xti is either 75k or 100k, can't remember which off-hand.

i'm in a similar situation as gemmon24. i sent in my t1i for repair and was quoted $200. i can upgrade to a 60d for $640. i don't know what i should do ?__?

I had not had my Canon long and it started losing functions...the loyalty program is great if your camera is old.. but the money I spent on this was NOT LITTLE...and for it to crap out is really sucky. The loyalty program offers you a REFURBISHED camera w/ 90 warranty..cause it will prolly break again right? Prices start at around $300 and go up to $500...I am not getting another Canon. Their lenses are great but quality of the rest of the camera is just not there like it used to be. Yeah..I am not happy. If I wanted a refurb...i would have bought one to begin with.

I personally am not going to support their 'milking' us as buyers. My canon was VERY new and now they want another $300 for same camera but REFURBISHED. It just seems like a scam to people who have a nice new camera. Great if you have had your camera for years and it is outdated...mine is very new.

sleestack said:   I personally am not going to support their 'milking' us as buyers. My canon was VERY new and now they want another $300 for same camera but REFURBISHED. It just seems like a scam to people who have a nice new camera. Great if you have had your camera for years and it is outdated...mine is very new.

If your camera is VERY new, then get it fixed under warranty.

abang said: If Canon designed their cameras to fail after 2 or 3 years, they would not remain in business. I think Canon bends over backwards to take care of their customers. For example, my A70 screen failed years after the camera warranty expired. Yet Canon fixed it for free once they realized this failure was pretty common due to a batch of bad parts. I've bought three Canons through this program over the years and they are all working fine today.
I had almost exactly the same experience with an A80 and just now got a 60D which came in with 19 clicks on the meter in absolutely like new condition. I am definitely a loyal Canon customer for a long time to come now...

Just got a 5D MII, they didn't even ask me the serial number or anything about what I am trading in. What if the trade in really isn't broken????? i have a fe options to send in.

vsp3c said:   i'm in a similar situation as gemmon24. i sent in my t1i for repair and was quoted $200. i can upgrade to a 60d for $640. i don't know what i should do ?__?

That seems like a rip-off to me, or that is without giving them your T1i. I assume it would be much less if you surrendered your busted T1i.

Either way, I just bought a brand new 60d for $788 shipped from B&H thanks to the $100 instant rebate Canon has going until June 2. Prices dipped that low at B&H and Adorama for a day and a half, but have since jumped back up to $899. (So irritating -- what is the point of a $100 instant rebate if the actual price to the consumer doesn't change because they raise the price by $100 when there's a $100 instant rebate?!) Amazon has them back in stock for the same price as of today (up $11 from their price $888 2 weeks ago), and Newegg has them for $888. In a nutshell, the $100 instant rebate from Canon has done nothing but INCREASE the cost.

Given the younger age of the T1i, the fact that it already has the Digic4 and HD video, I doubt you would be happy with what the upgrade will get you unless you're avid amateur photographer, which it sounds like you're not.

Also, keep in mind that the T4i is expected to be announced VERY soon. It will have the Digic5 processor, possibly touch screen, and new auto-focus system when using live view.

morrowish said:   Just got a 5D MII, they didn't even ask me the serial number or anything about what I am trading in. What if the trade in really isn't broken????? i have a fe options to send in.

An accidental drop on concrete should take care of this problem.

• Archived From: ForumsHot Deals

• 173 74 75767779
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014