• 1757677 78 79
  • Page
  • Text Only
tke96 said:   So basically, it looks like you drop about $30 off of the site price? Trying to figure out what works for me heading to a DSLR.

I was in the same boat as you. A coworker recommended the 6D with 24-105mm lens. I ended up getting it and have no regrets. A little expensive (at least for me) but definitely worth it. I personally bought it from JR and there was a 5% Fat Cash Back. I am considering getting the all new SL body (not out yet but announced) since it is the worlds smallest DSLR body. Would be a great complement to the 6D for weight.

Make sure you do your homework first.

There was a recall on a Canon camera I own and the dealer I bought it from never notified me and apparently never sent in the warranty card (filled out at the store). Because the camera was too old by the time I found out, Canon wouldn't honor their offer of paying shipping both ways and fixing the camera. Tech support referred me to CLP.

I should have done better research beforehand:

1) Canon refurb prices are higher than you pay for the same item, non-gray market, new, with a 1-year warranty. CLP discount in my case put the item about $10 less than just buying it new online.

2) They add in the cost of the old item's recycling shipping label, shipping to you and whatever other old stock they decide to include as a "premium" before applying a lump discount amount. A 2G SD card too slow to use in the refurb in my case, even after I told the salesperson I didn't want or need a memory card.

3) The people at the customer support line (phone # mysteriously missing from the emails about my transaction) do not give a rat's patoot how much money you've given Canon over the years (A70, SX10 is, 2 X SX20 is, 2 X Pixma printers, 60D kit, plus recommendations to friends resulting in sales). After seeing the SD card included in the total (then included in my "discount" - yay) I decided to return the CLP item (inner box unopened) I had purchased. They absolutely would not pay for return shipping on the item I purchased, even though part of the deal is a shipping label to send the original, unrepairable item back.

4) A refurb may be a damaged box, demo, etc. or it may be an item that died in warranty and had to be torn down and rebuilt -- there's no way to know and the 90-day warranty, instead of 1 year, reflects their commitment to the product.

Summation: Avoid CLP like the plague. It exists to flog old stock at a hefty profit. They could have made me happy by honoring the original recall, minus the cost of actually doing a repair, by paying shipping both ways. They would not budge and were astonishingly rude.

stoatly said:   Make sure you do your homework first.

There was a recall on a Canon camera I own and the dealer I bought it from never notified me and apparently never sent in the warranty card (filled out at the store). Because the camera was too old by the time I found out, Canon wouldn't honor their offer of paying shipping both ways and fixing the camera. Tech support referred me to CLP.

1) Canon refurb prices are higher than you pay for the same item, non-gray market, new, with a 1-year warranty. CLP discount in my case put the item about $10 less than just buying it new online.

2) They add in the cost of the old item's recycling shipping label, shipping to you and whatever other old stock they decide to include as a "premium" before applying a lump discount amount. A 2G SD card too slow to use in the refurb in my case, even after I told the salesperson I didn't want or need a memory card.

3) The people at the customer support line (phone # mysteriously missing from the emails about my transaction) do not give a rat's patoot how much money you've given Canon over the years (A70, SX10 is, 2 X SX20 is, 2 X Pixma printers, 60D kit, plus recommendations to friends resulting in sales). After seeing the SD card included in the total (then included in my "discount" - yay) I decided to return the CLP item (inner box unopened) I had purchased. They absolutely would not pay for return shipping on the item I purchased, even though part of the deal is a shipping label to send the original, unrepairable item back.

4) A refurb may be a damaged box, demo, etc. or it may be an item that died in warranty and had to be torn down and rebuilt -- there's no way to know and the 90-day warranty, instead of 1 year, reflects their commitment to the product.

Summation: Avoid CLP like the plague. It exists to flog old stock at a hefty profit. They could have made me happy by honoring the original recall, minus the cost of actually doing a repair, by paying shipping both ways. They would not budge and were astonishingly rude.

Whatever. There are hundreds of FW'ers on here that are more than happy with this deal. In one of them. If you're smart you can price compare and ensure you get a good deal....which most FW'ers are.

stoatly said:   "Make sure you do your homework first.

Summation: Avoid CLP like the plague. It exists to flog old stock at a hefty profit. They could have made me happy by honoring the original recall, minus the cost of actually doing a repair, by paying shipping both ways. They would not budge and were astonishingly rude."

LOL. I guess you've had a bad experience with Canon. I've read a lot of this thread and most of the thread over at SD and there are very few problems, and Canon has worked out almost every one. Its not Canon's fault if the retailer didn't send in your warranty card. It doesn't matter how much you claim to have spent on Canon products over the years, there is no way to verify that esp over the phone.

I've bought many cameras from CLP, and have received like new cameras with few shutter actuations.

Bottom line- These are the best prices that you are going to find on most of the cameras after the 20% off. Either take it or move on.

Anyone know if the deal stacks with spend x amount get x amount off with the loyalty 20% discount?

tke96 said:   Anyone know if the deal stacks with spend x amount get x amount off with the loyalty 20% discount?
Seems they don't stack
stanners said:    -was told explicitly that the CLP does not stack with the promotional prices listed on the website. if you do somehow score both, congrats.

Several Powershot cameras, like the ELPH 300HS are on sale. I bought the ELPH for $89.69 and did not need to return a non-working camera.

Called today and 5D Mark III is in stock for the program at $2379

I placed an order the other day and the sales rep told me that effective 5/21, Canon will honor CLP products with a warranty of 1 year instead of the 90 days. Has anyone heard this? Can anyone confirm that? I asked for literature citing the warranty and she told me that they are in the process of updating/revising it.

Just called today and ordered a 5D Mk III for $2379 along with the 24-105L F4 lens for $643 which I forgot to add in the Quick Summary. They also had the 70-200L F.29 IS for $1599.

Does anyone have an idea of the current sub-$500 cameras? Also, what is the max age that the cameras can be. I actually have 2 separate PowerShot cameras which would have fallen under the defective CCD replacement if I had known about it (that's what they both died of), but that is now long over.

Just called to check prices:
7D - $960
60D - $576
T4i - $512

phermat said:   Does anyone have an idea of the current sub-$500 cameras? Also, what is the max age that the cameras can be. I actually have 2 separate PowerShot cameras which would have fallen under the defective CCD replacement if I had known about it (that's what they both died of), but that is now long over.Not sure I understand the question completely but will take a shot at it. If you are looking at sub-$500 DSLRs, they are T2i and T3i. T4i is a few bucks more. There is no huge difference between T2i and T3i other than articulating screen but T4i has a newer processor and better focusing system and in my view, worth the extra $$. If you have any model of canon (film or digital) you are eligible to buy one via the loyalty program. There is no age limitation on how old the camera can be or if it is in working condition or not. You will get a refurbished camera model (almost new) and and earlier post mentioned that they will carry 1 year warranty as opposed to the 90 days previously.

userid said:   Just called to check prices:
7D - $960
60D - $576
T4i - $512

I am guessing the T4i is just the body?

userid said:   Just called to check prices:
7D - $960
60D - $576
T4i - $512

The 60d would be a good deal, but they are $599 new at buydig.com and no shipping/tax (other than NJ) After NY tax it would be $22 more then new.

Overstock had them with 2.5% Cash Back, but they have since sold out.

I called today and got the following prices quoted to me. I am not sure there is anything here that makes me want to jump...

Elph 100 12mp 4x optical zoom - $79
Elph 110 16 5x optical zoom - $119
Elph 510 12mp 12x optical zoom - $129

s100 12mp - $202

t2i - 18 mp - 18-55 manual focus req'd during video - flat back - $313.59
t3i - 18 mp - 18-55 manual focus req'd during video - Varied angle screen - $383
t4i - 18 mp - Faster - autofocus during video - 18-55 - $575
t4i - 18 mp - Faster - autofocus during video - 18-135 - STM motor - $735

Asildroffops said:   Can you trade a 35mm for a refurb digital?Yes you can..

phermat said:   I called today and got the following prices quoted to me. I am not sure there is anything here that makes me want to jump...

Elph 100 12mp 4x optical zoom - $79
Elph 110 16 5x optical zoom - $119
Elph 510 12mp 12x optical zoom - $129

s100 12mp - $202

t2i - 18 mp - 18-55 manual focus req'd during video - flat back - $313.59
t3i - 18 mp - 18-55 manual focus req'd during video - Varied angle screen - $383
t4i - 18 mp - Faster - autofocus during video - 18-55 - $575
t4i - 18 mp - Faster - autofocus during video - 18-135 - STM motor - $735

T2i is a nice camera,The lens is worth around 100 used.

I picked up a refurbed 5D3 for $2379.32 + tax and shipping today. SWEET

I just called to find a replacement for my broken elph 300 hs.  (Shipping included.  Remember to add tax. )
S100..................$217.  (includes a 4GB card, and a leather case PSC-3200)
Elph 310 HS....$116.

kelbad said:   I just called to find a replacement for my broken elph 300 hs.  (Shipping included.  Remember to add tax. )
S100..................$217.  (includes a 4GB card, and a leather case PSC-3200)
Elph 310 HS....$116.

That's curious... the case for the S100 is the PSC-900... the PSC-3200 is for the SX260 and SX280 (and is probably a bunch larger).

When I called a week or two ago, the S100 was $202.99 (30% off the regular refurb price of $289.99).  I have one and it's a great camera, and I'm recommending it to a couple of friends at the Loyalty Program price (I've got a couple of dead cameras to spare for them).

The 300 HS is currently available as a refurb, by the way ($137.99, don't know if it's on the Loyalty Program but if so it could be $96 or so).  The 310 HS has more zoom (8x vs 5x) but loses the super wide angle (28mm vs 24mm).  The S100 is 5x and 24mm.  The 300 HS and 310 HS have the same DIGIC 4 processor; the S100 has the later DIGIC 5.

And FYI the waterproof case for the 300 HS is 50% right now (only $34.99 -- it's the 10' one, not the 130' one).

Hope this is helpful!

Just got off phone with CSR at Canon. Maybe I don't understand. I can send in my old camera and and pay $383.99 for a T3i with lens, or just go to the Canon website and get the exact same price and just use my old camera as a paper weight. Why send it back?

ToolmanTim said:   Just got off phone with CSR at Canon. Maybe I don't understand. I can send in my old camera and and pay $383.99 for a T3i with lens, or just go to the Canon website and get the exact same price and just use my old camera as a paper weight. Why send it back?
  No point in it right now, as there is a 20% sale going on for that camera and the trade in isn't stackable with sale items.  When there isn't a sale however, you can get the 20% by sending in a broken camera.

Price check:

T4i - $410 (currently out of stock)
60D - $461
7D - $960
6D - $1,368 (currently out of stock)

I just bought a T4i with 18-135 STM lens for $588.  Have to send back some old SD300 point and shoot I had lying around.  Lens itself goes for $549 or so.  I have a T1i I'll be selling on eBay with an 18-55 kit lens and should get $275 or so.  That makes this a huge upgrade for me for about $300.  Seems like a fantastic deal.  By the way, the loyalty program really only saved me $20 vs. the Canon refurb site.  Although they do include the gadget bag which I'll use as fodder to sell my T1i.  At any rate, a great deal if you asked me.

That lens goes for around $375 on eBay. Where are you getting $500+ for it?

It's more than 500 on Amazon. I don't consider buying from eBay a fair comparison. My experience with Canon refurbs is similar to Apple: they're nearly indistinguishable from new. One time I had a problem and they immediately sent me a replacement that was perfect. So while it's not new, it certainly isn't like buying on eBay. But certainly fair of you to call me out on that!

How is T3i for the current price?
I never had an SLR and was thinking about buying one.
Any comments would be helpful.

dansfatwallet said:   It's more than 500 on Amazon. I don't consider buying from eBay a fair comparison. My experience with Canon refurbs is similar to Apple: they're nearly indistinguishable from new. One time I had a problem and they immediately sent me a replacement that was perfect. So while it's not new, it certainly isn't like buying on eBay. But certainly fair of you to call me out on that!

Not calling you out, just pointing out that White Box (refurb) on Amazon and eBay are going for 375ish.  Brand new, the lens is $500, but I would have a hard time selling a refurb lens as brand new.

itsme3112 said:   How is T3i for the current price?

The T3i is very similar to the T4i except for one key difference: the touchscreen.  Basically you can use the camera like an iPhone camera app with touch to focus, swipe to view images, etc.  For me, going from a T1i, there are many more upgrades in the T4i that I'm psyched about like the articulating screen which the T3i has too, but the touchscreen will allow me to get more into the advanced settings.  I never really found the menu system on the T1i intuitive and changing settings quickly was always a chore for me with the buttons and dial system.  I'm really excited for the touchscreen in this respect.  Whether it is worth it is completely a personal choice.   Both are great cameras.  If you want touchscreen go for the T4i.  If that's not an issue, then get the T3i for less money.

OK, wait, a major edit here.  Another huge difference between the T3i and the T4i is that the T4i can be bundled with the 18-135 STM lens.  This is a big step up from the 18-55 lens that you would get with the T3i, or any other combination of lenses you can get with that camera.  Factor that in when making the decision.  You will not regret spending more for the T4i with that lens vs the T3i with an 18-55, especially if you plan to shoot ANY videos with the camera. 

That is a big difference.
Thanks

itsme3112 said:   

Also, the ability to take advantage of the STM lenses for smooth auto-focus in video makes T4i (or T5i) more compelling than T3i if you want to be able to shoot video.  I own a T3i, with which I'm very happy, but I'm relegated to manual focus while shooting video, b/c auto-focus takes too long and is too choppy.

Anyone bought T4i from loyalty Program with lenses?
I wonder what is the difference in price between T3i and T4i

itsme3112 said:   Anyone bought T4i from loyaly Program with lenses?

Hmmmmm, I wonder....  Maybe you should go to the site and have a look?  I hear they post their prices right there for everyone to see!    Happy surfing!

itsme3112 said:   Anyone bought T4i from loyaly Program with lenses?

See here or here.

I bought about 3 dslrs from loyality program, everyone was like new.

Mine (T3i) looked like new but the SD card door switch (so the camera knows when the SD card door is open) stopped working after 18 months and 92 actuations. $210 to fix. Probably just bad luck. We'll see how my new SL1 performs.

Just called Canon about the CLP this morning because I was looking to upgrade my damaged S95. The lady I spoke to gave me these prices for just the following:

t3i body: $319.99 18-55 lens: $383.99
t4i body: $409.59 18-55 lens: $460.79 18-135 lens; $588.29
60d body: $460.79 18-55 lens: $613.89 18-135 lens: $$831.36

and for powershots they gave me these:
G15: $323.99
G1X: $526.49
S100: $202.99
S110: $236.24

Now to decide which one I want to replace my S95

There are some interesting comments on the S100 vs S110 in this thread.  (I have an S100 and really like it, though I'm sort-of considering the new S120.)

Also, Adorama has the refurbished S100 for less than Canon.  I believe it's the same package but you'd want to confirm the warranty with them.

• Archived From: ForumsHot Deals

• 1757677 78 79
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014