• filter:
  • 12 3 4579
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
thanks OP, traded my legitimately broken G6 for a EOS XT

rated:
YMMV. I called to exchange a broken PowerShot A85, but the rep REFUSED to! First, he asked for the code from Canon's service department. I told him it was out of warranty so I didn't try the service department. He transferred me to their service dept. because the A85 has known issues. He said if the problem with my camera one of the known issues that Canon would repair it and return it free of charge. If my A85 had something wrong with it that was not on their list of known issues I would be given a code that I could give to the loyalty program. Let's hope that I don't get a refurb 4MP from 2004 for my trouble.

Maybe I just got the wrong guy on the wrong day, but having a broken Canon P&S doesn't guarantee admission to the loyalty program.

rated:
Just a little FYI.

When calling the 866 number, be sure to ask for tech support first. The rep flatly told me that the Loyalty program is not an exchange program for old canon cameras. So I just told her that the canon had a lcd problem. Mentioned the loyalty program to the tech and offered me an "upgrade". My old camera is an A80 Powershot.

This is what was offered and a confirmation of what they will offer:

A560 for $89
SD1000 for $100
SX100 IS $125

Fedex: 2-day for $10
Fedex: 1-day for $20

You do not have to mail in the old camera in first, they will tell you to reuse the packaging from the camera you will receive. Just be sure to mail it back within 10 days. total cost with tax for the SX100 IS came out to: $145.63

Update:
Rep did confirm at the A80 is known to have LCD issues.

rated:
Awesome find OP!
Thanks

rated:
nquinn said: Adding this as a quick note:

I had an old broken SD110 that I was planning on trading in. Doing some digging though, I found that a lot of older cameras had a recall due to a faulty CCD connector.

I shipped my camera back to Canon, who sent me an SD630 in return instead because "parts were no longer" available for the old SD110.

In short, be sure to check for recalls and other notices - you may get a free refurb upgrade

Canon has won my heart since that incident.

Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory
Affected products:
- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

Here is the LINK

rated:
Greymulkin said: For my PowerShot A40 I was offered:

An A550 (might have been 590) for $89.
An S1000 for $100.
An SX100 for $125.

I really wanted that G9 for $250.

Me too! I just called and said my A60 was fine. The rep said "no go." You can't find good CSR anymore!

rated:
my S10 just got "upgraded" to an XT!

rated:
If you want credit from your SD deal, come post it here.

Otherwise, kindly stfu

rated:
cairogyro said: Red from me, OP.

You stole this from SD, where the actual trade-up thread started in March 2006, and folks there started posting in the thread on 7/25 that they were getting the refurbed Rebel offer.

At least give credit where credit is due.

Who the HELL cares? I absolutely HATE this type of post!

I came up with the FREE $25 from OboPay via Amp'd a year ago and someone on SD ripped that off from me. No credit given. Did I go bitch about it there? NO!

I rarely visit SD, but I do frequent this board, so if it isn't posted here I miss it. There are many others who are the exact same way around here. I just want to see the damned deal!

rated:
Wineaux said: cairogyro said: Red from me, OP.

You stole this from SD, where the actual trade-up thread started in March 2006, and folks there started posting in the thread on 7/25 that they were getting the refurbed Rebel offer.

Who the HELL cares? I absolutely HATE this type of post!

I came up with the FREE $25 from OboPay via Amp'd a year ago and someone on SD ripped that off from me. No credit given. Did I go bitch about it there? NO!

I rarely visit SD, but I do frequent this board, so if it isn't posted here I miss it. There are many others who are the exact same way around here. I just want to see the damned deal!

LOL, you didn't bitch about it but you definitely remembered it. It happened a year ago, that should be deleted from your memory banks by now.

rated:
tragic said: Just a little FYI.

When calling the 866 number, be sure to ask for tech support first. The rep flatly told me that the Loyalty program is not an exchange program for old canon cameras. So I just told her that the canon had a lcd problem. Mentioned the loyalty program to the tech and offered me an "upgrade". My old camera is an A80 Powershot.

This is what was offered and a confirmation of what they will offer:

A560 for $89
SD1000 for $100
SX100 IS $125

Fedex: 2-day for $10
Fedex: 1-day for $20

You do not have to mail in the old camera in first, they will tell you to reuse the packaging from the camera you will receive. Just be sure to mail it back within 10 days. total cost with tax for the SX100 IS came out to: $145.63

Update:
Rep did confirm at the A80 is known to have LCD issues.

SD thread explained that in OP.

rated:
I called earlier about my a60 that I got free about 4 years ago from Office Depot, there were two $100 rebates plus I used a $20 off coupon to purchase it.. So they paid me $20 to take the camera and now I can upgrade 4 years later for $100. My a60 does have the fuzzy screen and I get a memory card error when I take pictures, this camera has sat in a drawer for 2 years so time to make use of it.

Thanks OP I could care less where the deal came from I'm just glad YOU posted it... SD sucks anyways.. Go FW.....

rated:
chibimike said: ksfhhllp said: CambodianBeast said: IMO this is a decent deal only if you have a broken Canon.

The XT has been replaced twice (XTi and XSi), and can be found NEW for under $400 anyways.

I am not 100% sure, but as I recall the XSi is not a replacement for the XTi.

Anyway, this is a great deal, especially on the G9. I bought one new last year when it came out.

The XSi is a replacement for the XTi.
Canon has just come out with the XS which is an entry level camera.

As Zikronix said, the XTi, XSi, and XS are all still in production.

rated:
What a great post. Thank you OP!

I have a legitimately broken S230 that just stopped taking pictures. The camera will "play back"
old pictures but will not take new pictures. I bought a new Canon 1000 model to replace it
and just threw the old S230 in the closet.

I just called to ask about the Loyalty exchange. To my surprise, the tech send told me about
the "service advisory issue" on this particular model camera and that Canon may very well
repair my camera for free....

...and if they couldn't fix it, they would apply the loyalty prgram benefit!

Good deal!

THANKS

rated:
Just traded in my old S50 for a G9. Thanks OP!
As one of the poster said, I called the loyalty program 866 number, told them about my slider door problem (it is kinda loose), and they transferred me to tech support. Then i talked to a very nice tech support guy, told him again about the slider door problem and was told they have a "trade-in" program. I picked the G9 amongst the 3 choices (SD850IS, G9, and Rebel EOS XT).

Two types of shipping is available - $10 two-day and a $20 next day service.

rated:
I called and they said I had to talk to tech support first.

rated:
en, sounds good.

The bad thing is that I have not used any Canon camera in my life

The only thing in my home bearing a Canon logo is the FAR personal copyer.

rated:
i got a power shot s10 just bought an xsi...after selling a new xt for 300.00 got my xsi on eBay witht eh Cash Back for 519.00 (for the kit)

not a bad deal...my s10 works fine. I could upgrade it...but i aint got another 275. lol

rated:
Manobeer said: cairogyro said: Red from me, OP.

So whenever anyone finds a deal, they are required to scan every other deal site to see if it was already posted?????

GET REAL

Nope, no need to scan. But if you saw the deal posted at another site (which I have no doubt the OP did), then you should give credit.

Booya

rated:
wjones said: nquinn said: Adding this as a quick note:
I had an old broken SD110 that I was planning on trading in. Doing some digging though, I found that a lot of older cameras had a recall due to a faulty CCD connector.
I shipped my camera back to Canon, who sent me an SD630 in return instead because "parts were no longer" available for the old SD110.
In short, be sure to check for recalls and other notices - you may get a free refurb upgrade
Canon has won my heart since that incident.

Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory
Affected products:
- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

Here is the LINK
Thank you ... thank you ... thank you ... I had an old ZR60, on which the LCD wouldn't work any more .. never new that it was on an advisory list !!! hoping for a free replacement !!!

rated:
I have A70. Just traded for SX100 IS for ~$146 with tax and 2 days shipping.

Thanks OP.

rated:
Thanks OP

Just traded in my long broken S60 (it was dropped) for a G9 for 260 bucks. Not a bad deal. G9 in my opinion is lot versatile than EOS XT without having to upgrade the crappy kit lens without IS. They wanted 150 for fixing my old S60 earlier.

rated:
Thanks for the info.

I have an A60 which stopped working right after the 1-year warranty was up. Fortunately I was able to dig it out from my drawer and made an upgrade in spite of the fact that I already have 4 working canons.

One question for those already ordered, how long does it take to get your email confirmation? I asked for a confirmation number while on the phone but the rep said it hasn't been generated yet, wait for the email. It has been almost 2 hours and i still haven't got anything.

rated:
sweet - traded in my semi-broken s45 for the g9 (don't need another slr have an original digital rebel and a 40d) The g9 will be a great replacement for my aging s45! Wanted 110 to fix the s45 - it has a semi-broken sliding lens cover/power switch.

rated:
I'm bummed. I had an A60 that would periodically work and I figured it was a lose connection and took the camera apart to see if I could find the lose connection. This was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The parts are sitting on my desk in a box. I figured it would cost more to get the camera fixed than I could buy a new one, so I didn't think much about it. I ended up getting in on the SD1100 deal with the 2GB memeory card when I realized I was in over my head, so I made out ok, but I wished I hadn't tried to fix this thing. Big mistake.

rated:
What a great deal. Old S410 for the S850.

Everyone wins. They move old-ish product for better than whoilesale and customers feel good about the company.

Thanks FW !!

P.S. The FW effect is delivering a real run on their stock. The Tech support guy said they are out of a couple of models already (No I am not sure which). So if you are on the fence, snooze at your own risk. Oh and the guy also said that although these are identified as recertified most of them are new and are returned dealer overstock.

rated:
One of the three I was offered was the A560 for $89. A quick scan showed it NEW at Sears for $109 with in-store pickup link

THe Sears deal looks better (~10 more + trip to store for a new one) if you were interested in that model.

rated:
I called the Loyalty Program number twice and was told both times that I would have to mail my camera in at my expense, and when it was received I would get a repair estimate by mail along with "upgrade" options.

Instead, I called 1-800-828-4040 and asked for "Tech Support". I then told the Tech Support rep that I had an SD100 with a broken screen, and wanted to know what my repair options were. She told me that either I could pay $99 to get the screen replaced, or I could do the Loyalty Upgrade. She took my info and assigned me a case number. I was then able to call the Loyalty Program back and give them the case number, and when I gave them that they offered to ship me the camera first and they would include a prepaid label to send my old camera back.

rated:
same thing happened to me. I have a busted S410, and they said I would have to send it in first (on my dime; no prepaid mailer available), and then they'd contact me about the options I have after they receive it. however, I was able to get the upgrade options, which were:

s850 $150
g9 $250
xt with kit lens $275

instructions for sending in the camera were as follows: include name, address, phone, and email address and mail to

canon factory service center
1440 chase ave
elk grove village, il 60007

good luck, everyone.

ahecht said: I called and was told I would have to mail my camera in, and when it was recieved I would get a repair estimate by mail along with "upgrade" options. Did anyone else hear this? I'd much rather order now than have to wait for an estimate.

rated:
Goober, I edited my message above. Call tech support first, they can only do an advance exchange with a case number from Tech support. I have a Rebel XT on its way for $285 shipped. And to think, last week I was tempted by the same camera at Sears for $360.

Also, for those of you without physical damage, see the notice at http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=221&modelid=10468&keycode=2112&id=48264:

It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Notice of Additional Affected Products:
As a result of our continuing investigation of this malfunction, we have determined that the 11 models listed below, in addition to the 16 models listed in our Service Notice concerning this malfunction, dated October 6, 2005, may be affected.

Affected products: - Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50 - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

Malfunction:
It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your email to carecenter@cits.canon.com

rated:
tried what ahecht did: called 1-800-828-4040 and asked for "Tech Support," and they said under the Loyalty Program, they would ship me the refurbished camera, which would include a prepaid mailer for the old, busted one. sweet.

rated:
gooberwho said: tried what ahecht did: called 1-800-828-4040 and asked for "Tech Support," and they said under the Loyalty Program, they would ship me the refurbished camera, which would include a prepaid mailer for the old, busted one. sweet.

No go for me. I called the 1-800 and 1-866 number. They both go to the same call center and each time I called I got "Louisa". They did not send me a prepaid mailer for the old one nor did they offer to ship the refurbished camera. I had to first ship my camera to their Illinois service center

BTW I have a Canon G3...but I don't think that makes a difference.

rated:
I had to call twice as the first lady wanted me to send in the camera (A80) to Factory Service Center. Called again and asked for tech suppport. Told the new CSR about the advisory notice and she looked it up and transferred me to a techie. I told him I want an upgrade and he gave me my options. I asked him if there is a way to get a DSLR and he said I need to talk to someone in the loyalty program and they would probably do it for a higher price.

rated:
Just traded my S50 for the XT. Great deal!
I'm glad this thread came alive or I would have never known.
Thanks OP

rated:
Hah! I finally got through. Total came to $310.65 with tax and shipping for the Rebel XT.

rated:
Bmr4life said: Manobeer said: cairogyro said: Red from me, OP.

So whenever anyone finds a deal, they are required to scan every other deal site to see if it was already posted?????

GET REAL

Nope, no need to scan. But if you saw the deal posted at another site (which I have no doubt the OP did), then you should give credit.

Booya

You need to get a life, ancient member...

rated:
well I don't think you really have to break the camera, just tell them that sometimes it switches on and sometimes it doesn't... haha let them figure out what the problem is!! =)

rated:
sweet, had a s80 that i dropped a while back and it broke. called in to get it fixed and they offered the same 850is, g9 and xt. I took the G9 as it had the newer digit III chic and is compact. the XT seems like it will be outdated soon anyways.

thanks OP.

rated:
Aww, cant believe I found this after I sold my S60 for $60 Good info to know though. Thanks!

rated:
I have an S300 (USB Printer). I wonder if they will honor it as a trade in.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 12 3 4579
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.