• filter:
  • 14 5 67879
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
cairogyro said: Red from me, OP.

You stole this from SD, where the actual trade-up thread started in March 2006, and folks there started posting in the thread on 7/25 that they were getting the refurbed Rebel offer.

At least give credit where credit is due.

Hey "Give-credit!" whiners. Nobody cares. It's getting really, really old.

Edit by Moderator: FatWallet is a Flame-free zone. Please show respect for others by not participating in this type of activity.

EDIT: What kind of world do we live in where you can't tell incredibly annoying idiots, in plain and unambiguous terms, to stop being annoying twits and, to abbreviate what the moderator found so egregious when spelled out fully, to STHU ? If enough people responded to this small handful of whiners in a suitably direct fashion, maybe some of them would stop posting their "give credit" nonsense, for the benefit of everyone.

I really don't understand how accusing someone else of stealing (and stealing something in which no one can have an ownership interest, no less) and indirectly promoting a competitor's website shows respect for FW members or advances this website.

rated:
technochino said: Ahecht,
You also posted that there were some CCD issues with the SD100. I'm surprised they didn't tell you that and offer to fix/replace it for free.

The free repair is only for the CCD issue. My camera still took pictures fine but the display screen was shattered, which isn't covered under any warranty. Plus I already have a better compact P&S camera and wanted a Rebel XT.

BTW, anyone have a good deal on a cheap CF card? Best I could find is an Ultra II 2GB at Staples for $20.

rated:
Success, traded my Canon G2. I called tech support first then after explaining my problems and ask about my options, I got transferred to the loyalty dept. Had a really great experience, they were very courteous and helpful.

I didn't know about this deal until last night, didn't know that it has been going on since 06. Thanks OP!

rated:
Hey vholic, what options were you given for your G2?

rated:
pushback said: Read my initial post above. It compares my film cameras to the XTi and to the D40--with actual examples of photos. The XTi is a disappointment. It's not worth the $800+ I paid and its not worth the $275 they are offering it for (there's a reason it's $275). The D40 is far superior.
I can't comment on your photo example since they are down sampled by such a large degree, plus no exif info or info about lenses used and what camera modes were used.
As to your list of issues, I'll give my comments below.

pushback said:
The XTi was my first launch into digital (everything on my site is film). I am extremely disappointed in this camera. The color depth is shallow and the results inconsistent. Problems I have had:

The XTi has standard color depth and has one of the widest dynamic ranges of any of the entry level DSLRs in testing. It can overexpose depending on the shot, and many people do use some negative exposure compensation to prevent highlight clipping.

pushback said:
* I can shoot one composition and get a nice blue sky, then shoot the same shot a second later and the sky is washed out.

The XTi doesn't have a spot meter, it just uses averaging. So, small changes in framing can dramatically change the average exposure. The 40D does have a spot meter so it will tend to be more consistent.

pushback said:
* The BUSY indicator comes on often at a crucial moment, making me miss the shot.

The busy indicator means the buffer is full. The XTi doesn't have as large a buffer as the 40D, but it better than almost any other entry level DSLR.

pushback said:
* The photos themselves have a grainy, washed out look to them.

Can't comment on that, as that isn't the experience of others.
Here are the sample images from Dpreview: Dpreview sample images.

pushback said:
* This may just be my ignorance, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get the camera to fill flash. It decides when to flash, which does not work out well when I want to fill flash for shadows or when a bright light source is behind the subject.

If you open the built in flash in av, tv, or manual mode, it will flash, even if taking a photo of the sun.

pushback said:
* It can't keep up with fast moving objects. Soccer balls blur. even with a fast shutter speed, for example.

If it is blurry it is either not in the focus depth of field or the shutter speed is too low.
I would need to see examples with EXIF and know what lenses you were using to know which.

pushback said:
* I'm just not able to get the sharpness out of my pictures that I am used to with my film cameras (25 year-old Minolta XD-11s which can be found pretty cheap on eBay if you want a good quality film camera)

Film still slightly out resolves even the 21MP 1d mkIII.
What you are likely having an issue with is post-processing. When your film is developed the development company does do post processing when printing. Likewise you need to do similar post processing to digital, such as sharpening. With the newest DSLRs having more and more powerful cpus built in, companies are doing much more advanced processing automatically.

rated:
Thanks OP. Scored a G9 for $250 in exchange for my broken SD30.

rated:
does it work on Canon APS camera?

rated:
2much said: Hey vholic, what options were you given for your G2?

I got G9 for $250. Same options as mentioned on original post: SD850 IS - $150, G9 - $250, Rebel - $250.
No need to gather your accessories etc. They only want the camera body. Good luck!

rated:
They accepted my S30 that I had given up on. I've been thinking about getting a dSLR for a while. This was perfect.

rated:
nquinn said: Adding this as a quick note:

I had an old broken SD110 that I was planning on trading in. Doing some digging though, I found that a lot of older cameras had a recall due to a faulty CCD connector.

I shipped my camera back to Canon, who sent me an SD630 in return instead because "parts were no longer" available for the old SD110.

In short, be sure to check for recalls and other notices - you may get a free refurb upgrade

Canon has won my heart since that incident.
Did they tell you they were upgrading you? Offer choices? Or was it a surprise.
-cd

rated:
I have a S45 with a broken door that I'm thinking of trading in for the Rebel XT. Is the Rebel XT even worth $275 with it being so old?

rated:
What if I have the A10? I loved that camera.

rated:
garycoleman said: I have a S45 with a broken door that I'm thinking of trading in for the Rebel XT. Is the Rebel XT even worth $275 with it being so old?

fair market for a new one is about 350...I sold mine for 375 new in the box and that was a push.

rated:
zikronix said: garycoleman said: I have a S45 with a broken door that I'm thinking of trading in for the Rebel XT. Is the Rebel XT even worth $275 with it being so old?

fair market for a new one is about 350...I sold mine for 375 new in the box and that was a push.

$350 with the lens being included? where? everything i see in the $300-$400 price range doesn't include a lens kit...body only.

rated:
linbed said: zikronix said: garycoleman said: I have a S45 with a broken door that I'm thinking of trading in for the Rebel XT. Is the Rebel XT even worth $275 with it being so old?

$350 with the lens being included? where? everything i see in the $300-$400 price range doesn't include a lens kit...body only.

Well I bought mine new for 254 (before tax) from Sears. It was the Kit (the proof). Sears was selling the kit for 438 in some places and 313 in others most people got them at the 313.00 cost. I had mine listed on craigslist at 400.00 for 3 weeks no bites, dropped it to 375.00 got offered 350.00 then some one countered with the full 375.00

Which I then took my profit of about 100.00 along with a cell phone i got for free and sold for 100.00 for a rough total of 482.00 (282 + 100(xt profit) + 100 (cell profit) = 482) and bought an xsi kit w/ card on eBay (canon authorized of course) for 519.00 (799.00 - 35%(25% CashBack + coupon) = 519.00

so the effective cost out of pocket was roughly 37.00 + 282 for 319.00 (This is how hot deals are made)( in know in theory you cant look at it that way cause i still spent 200.00 i obtained by selling items, but i dont count that as spent cause i never had it in the first place)

The problem isnt the actual cost of the camera its that no one is buying. cept me and deals are hot

i just picked up EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM gently used for 250.00 on the list...

rated:
would there be anyway to talk them into an is lens instead of the standard lens on the xt, just wondered if anyone tried

rated:
Hi:
Help me out with the decision here
I have a SD600 - works great except the lcd is broken.
Option (1) eBay it for $40 add $160 - and buy the same refurbished camera
vs. use this deal and give them my camera- and pay $160 (shipped) for the refurb - SD850IS
i.e. no difference - though more convenient this way (and that's worth something) - so this is a no brainer.

OR being a fatwalleter and feeling the need to get a great deal.
Buying the XT for an additional $285 (shipped) and give them my camera
This is a better deal than the SD850IS - as the XT refurb cost $400 so you're saving $75 ($400 - $40 (eBay old camera) - $285)

Question is - I'm not a pro camera hobbyist - just point and shoot of family (and occasional eBay item)
Is the XT's Picture Quality MUCH better than the SD850IS , such that it's worth laying out the add'l $125?
Or should I just eBay the broken camera and pocket the $40 and wait for an amazing digicam to come and use the 40 bucks on that?

btw: great post!

rated:
cgott42 said: Hi:
Help me out with the decision here
I have a SD600 - works great except the lcd is broken.
Option (1) eBay it for $40 add $160 - and buy the same refurbished camera
vs. use this deal and give them my camera- and pay $160 (shipped) for the refurb - SD850IS
i.e. no difference - though more convenient this way (and that's worth something) - so this is a no brainer.

OR being a fatwalleter and feeling the need to get a great deal.
Buying the XT for an additional $285 (shipped) and give them my camera
This is a better deal than the SD850IS - as the XT refurb cost $400 so you're saving $75 ($400 - $40 (eBay old camera) - $285)

Question is - I'm not a pro camera hobbyist - just point and shoot of family (and occasional eBay item)
Is the XT's Picture Quality MUCH better than the SD850IS , such that it's worth laying out the add'l $125?
Or should I just eBay the broken camera and pocket the $40 and wait for an amazing digicam to come and use the 40 bucks on that?

btw: great post!
If the SD has been sufficient for your needs, you'll probably be happier sticking with that line. "Upgrading" to a DSLR also means a huge increase in size/weight. If you're already satisfied with your pictures and aren't the type of make use of the extra features of a DSLR, don't bother.

-cd

rated:
thanks - I left out one option - to go to the G9
Which do you recommend?

rated:
cgott42 said: thanks - I left out one option - to go to the G9
Which do you recommend?

I just bought the G9 for my girlfriend yesterday. It is unbelievable. More versatile than many low end dSLRs, feels extremely solid in hand, and produces incredible photos:

Link

rated:
cgott42 said: thanks - I left out one option - to go to the G9
Which do you recommend?
If you can live with a small size increase, it may be worthwhile. The most significant differences are that it will capture larger pictures and has a bigger optical zoom. Both of these can result in higher quality pictures, especially if you ever print large(r) prints. It's also $100 more. For use as a typical P&S, you probably wouldn't see much benefit here either.

-cd

rated:
vholic said: 2much said: Hey vholic, what options were you given for your G2?

I got G9 for $250. Same options as mentioned on original post: SD850 IS - $150, G9 - $250, Rebel - $250.
No need to gather your accessories etc. They only want the camera body. Good luck!

Do they need the battery?

rated:
Thanks OP. Just upgraded my S330 to the 850IS.

rated:
canydavid said: cgott42 said: thanks - I left out one option - to go to the G9
Which do you recommend?
If you can live with a small size increase, it may be worthwhile. The most significant differences are that it will capture larger pictures and has a bigger optical zoom. Both of these can result in higher quality pictures, especially if you ever print large(r) prints. It's also $100 more. For use as a typical P&S, you probably wouldn't see much benefit here either.

-cd

thanks- I print almost always 5x7 (nothing larger).
I can live with the small size increase.
It sounds like the 5x7 might be slightly better but not worth $100 extra.

thanks, guess I'll go with the 850IS.

rated:
MangoGT said: I just bought the G9 for my girlfriend yesterday. It is unbelievable. More versatile than many low end dSLRs, feels extremely solid in hand, and produces incredible photos

only when good lighting is available. In low lighting situation, even 300D (aka original rebel) will kill G9 or any P&S digital cameras.

rated:
cgott42 said: vholic said: 2much said: Hey vholic, what options were you given for your G2?

Do they need the battery?

read the other's posts. No battery is required to be returned.

rated:
i have an old canon elph with the advantix film. is there any chance i can get the rebel xt offer. i already have a p&s so really no need for that. i just want an slr.

rated:
sdsviet said: i have an old canon elph with the advantix film. is there any chance i can get the rebel xt offer. i already have a p&s so really no need for that. i just want an slr.No chance.
-cd

rated:
thanks- I went with the 850IS.

rated:
Thanks OP! In 4 1 XT.

Had a broken SD410, after a drop the whole part with the zoom control was gone. I am not sure why was I keeping this in my 'garage office', but anyways it was worth it now...

I also called technical support, explained the situation and was given a case# and they forwarded the call to the loyalty program. I must say that my loyalty to Canon just got a boost. And I will probably continue to spend more money on lenses etc. Thanks Canon.

Z.

rated:
onlycom said: only when good lighting is available. In low lighting situation, even 300D (aka original rebel) will kill G9 or any P&S digital cameras.

Read: Link

rated:
is this true? does anyone tried it?

rated:
Just my opinion..

I too am a long-time slr guy all Canon's..just made the move to digital last year, with an XTI. To call myself a disatisfied customer would be an understatement. Every shot need tweaking, flat, no excitement, I've taken side by side with film and my wifes P&S, and there's no way you can see $600 worth of difference. Many times the P&S is better, until above 8x10.

Just called this number, explained my case, and was told that there is no DSLR-DSLR upgrade, only for P&S. I asked again, telling her my intention was to break a 30 year habit and go with Nikon, and she said there was nothing she could do for me.

rated:
I have an old Canon A40 that I am trading in for the SX 100 IS.

I love Canon cameras. I accidentally dropped the A40 from 15 feet onto concrete and it still worked

I now have a 710 IS that is great!

rated:
neoneyelyts said: is this true? does anyone tried it?

Yes I did tried it and it is true.

I traded in my G3 for a Rebel XT for ~$310 w/ tax and shipping.

rated:
SWACKMAN said: Just my opinion..

I too am a long-time slr guy all Canon's..just made the move to digital last year, with an XTI. To call myself a disatisfied customer would be an understatement. Every shot need tweaking, flat, no excitement, I've taken side by side with film and my wifes P&S, and there's no way you can see $600 worth of difference. Many times the P&S is better, until above 8x10.

Just called this number, explained my case, and was told that there is no DSLR-DSLR upgrade, only for P&S. I asked again, telling her my intention was to break a 30 year habit and go with Nikon, and she said there was nothing she could do for me.

Then go with Nikon!

rated:
Jobowoo said: neoneyelyts said: is this true? does anyone tried it?

Yes I did tried it and it is true.

I traded in my G3 for a Rebel XT for ~$310 w/ tax and shipping.

Good deal, but isn't that close to the new price?

rated:

Canons DSLR's are intended to put out a very neutral image. They don't bake in high levels of sharpening or contrast enhancement into their jpgs like most P&S cameras do. But you can increase those with settings if you want that look.

If you want a DSLR that by default bakes the jpgs, look to Sony.

rated:

Have you used a Nikon DSLR? What makes you think you'll have better results there?
-cd

rated:
chibimike said: SWACKMAN said: Just my opinion..

Canons DSLR's are intended to put out a very neutral image. They don't bake in high levels of sharpening or contrast enhancement into their jpgs like most P&S cameras do. But you can increase those with settings if you want that look.

If you want a DSLR that by default bakes the jpgs, look to Sony.

Quoted for truth...

The picture is in the photographer...not in the equipment.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 67879
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.