• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am a new AAA member and read over the benefits and one of the new benefits they have is the free credit card key. I took my set of car keys into the local AAA office and they made me these plastic keys that are attached to a credit card size frame. Anyhow, it really did take less than a minute for them to make the keys and I had two keys made. One for a Mazda RX8 and another for an Isuzu Trooper. They are unable to make duplicates of squarish keys or the inverted design like Lexus'. Anyhow, both of the plastic keys unlocked doors but the RX8 would not start b/c the original metal key has a security feature in it. So for older cars, it should work fine to unlock and start the car. However, since it's plastic, I think that the key may wear down over time so I wouldn't rely on it as your primary key.

I thought this was a hot deal since it's a fairly new benefit and not well advertised and it's free so it's gotta be hot.

Oh and also, the AAA office I went to (Potrero Center in SF) had automated vending machines for their maps so you can just borrow someone's AAA card if you are not a member and get maps.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A WalMart key will open the doors, just not start it.

GatorJ (Aug. 20, 2008 @ 1:52a) |

Maybe not a Hot Deal, like a AAA freebie, but most places that make keys will make a credit card key for half the cost o... (more)

Orpheus (Aug. 20, 2008 @ 3:00a) |

I went to a AAA location and they had no clue what I was tlaking about. Could you please tell me where in the benifits d... (more)

MistakenIdentity (Aug. 25, 2008 @ 3:48p) |

DO NOT WORK at Mid-Atlantic AAAs.

Here's a picture of what it looks like: http://www.wiredatom.com/blog/2005/07/27/plastic-key-to-the-rescue/
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cool I am gonna check it out!

Good to know, thanks OP!

I have one of these that I got years ago... probably about 8 years ago. I'm not sure if they discontinued giving these out for free or what but it was a free when I got mine and I know they had the same thing for at least 5 years before I had mine made.

In any case, it's highly recomended in case you get your keys locked in the door. I'm sure AAA would rather pay for this than sending out a locksmith.

This as been around for years. I got one 3 years back.

I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever.

davamond said: I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever.

Nice to know you do this, it follows suit with a Biker Gang member attaching a chain to his wallet. Your solution is hardly the end all for everyone.

I know that California locations have this service, but it's definitely not true for all states. The rep at my office here in Michigan was so intrigued by the plastic spare that he asked to borrow it so that he could show his coworker!

Where in Michigan are you davelin? I'm in Ann Arbor and was thinking about going in, but not if they've never heard of them...

When I was overseas twenty years ago, all Japanese cars came with three sets of keys. One of them was a plastic key.

Keep it in your wallet. Do not use it as a primary key.

AAA in California has been giving these emergency keys to members for at least 20 years. They are very flimsy and probably only good for 1 or 2 uses.

johnny98 said: AAA in California has been giving these emergency keys to members for at least 20 years. They are very flimsy and probably only good for 1 or 2 uses.Correct - my family has gotten these for at least 15 years. And yes, the AAA people have warned us to only use as an emergency - they do NOT hold up.
-cd

Too bad it won't work with my credit card wireless key. I hate it when I forget it and I look for the key on my key chain.

xqwizit said: I am a new AAA member and read over the benefits and one of the new benefits they have is the free credit card key. I took my set of car keys into the local AAA office and they made me these plastic keys that are attached to a credit card size frame. Anyhow, it really did take less than a minute for them to make the keys and I had two keys made. One for a Mazda RX8 and another for an Isuzu Trooper. They are unable to make duplicates of squarish keys or the inverted design like Lexus'. Anyhow, both of the plastic keys unlocked doors but the RX8 would not start b/c the original metal key has a security feature in it. So for older cars, it should work fine to unlock and start the car. However, since it's plastic, I think that the key may wear down over time so I wouldn't rely on it as your primary key.

I thought this was a hot deal since it's a fairly new benefit and not well advertised and it's free so it's gotta be hot.

Oh and also, the AAA office I went to (Potrero Center in SF) had automated vending machines for their maps so you can just borrow someone's AAA card if you are not a member and get maps.

I would only use this as an emergency key. Imagine the cost if it broke off in your ignition. I guess you could always call AAA to tow it home or to a good locksmith or dealer.

These are not ignition keys. These are just door keys in case you are locked out. It came up very useful couple of times in the past 10 years I have been carrying.

CORRECTION: These can be used as an ignition key for one time emergency use if the key does not anythig electronic built into it!

beatmesweety said: These are not ignition keys. These are just door keys in case you are locked out. It came up very useful couple of times in the past 10 years I have been carrying.

It's misleading to say that they are "not ignition keys" when the keys will clearly work in the ignition (if your car doesn't have computer chips in the keys). Sure, they might be more likely to break in the ignition, but they're fine for a one-time emergency use.

swandown said: beatmesweety said: These are not ignition keys. These are just door keys in case you are locked out. It came up very useful couple of times in the past 10 years I have been carrying.

It's misleading to say that they are "not ignition keys" when the keys will clearly work in the ignition (if your car doesn't have computer chips in the keys). Sure, they might be more likely to break in the ignition, but they're fine for a one-time emergency use.

Agree. I broke my key one time due to cold weather and the plastic key saved my life.

davamond said: I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever. I am glad there are still people who approved my opinion. I just never get the idea of having a plastic emergency key while you can simply go to the WalMart and make a duplicate, permanent copy and have it on you all the time for a permanent back-up. I guess those who red me are also those who only buy brand-new batteries rather than using re-chargeable batteries.

Actually, I drive a Honda, and WalMart can't copy my key because of the security built into it (it is 98 before you start thinking i have the latest and greatest).

Anyways, getting this plastic key would be a much preferable option as it is free...compared to the $36 key I have to get from the dealership.

If Wally World can do your key, and your job allows you to have keys hanging from your belt...then rock on my friend. ...but please understand that some of us rechargeable battery users can't do it with as much convenience.

davamond said: davamond said: I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever. I am glad there are still people who approved my opinion. I just never get the idea of having a plastic emergency key while you can simply go to the WalMart and make a duplicate, permanent copy and have it on you all the time for a permanent back-up. I guess those who red me are also those who only buy brand-new batteries rather than using re-chargeable batteries.

You are right swandon. It didn't hit me since I was under the assumption it is only to open the door and I used it twice for that purpose. Thanks for pointing it out.
swandown said: beatmesweety said: These are not ignition keys. These are just door keys in case you are locked out. It came up very useful couple of times in the past 10 years I have been carrying.

Super find - I am there

Will AAA make a credit card key out of any key (e.g. house key), or is it only for car keys?

Never was aware of this. Green.

I got a credit card key when I got my 90 corolla, very usefull tool to carry it.

tyop! green!

johnny98 said: AAA in California has been giving these emergency keys to members for at least 20 years. They are very flimsy and probably only good for 1 or 2 uses.

If you lock yourself out every day probably not a good idea, but if you are normal and do it once in a blue moon its a great idea.

I have had one of these AAA CA keys since 1994 and have used it countless times in my Acura. Both door and ignition. But usually door, because I frequently leave my keys in the ignition

economba said: swandown said: beatmesweety said: These are not ignition keys. These are just door keys in case you are locked out. It came up very useful couple of times in the past 10 years I have been carrying.

Agree. I broke my key one time due to cold weather and the plastic key saved my life.

Wait a minute... where exactly do you live that it's so cold that the weather could break a metal key?

Should you get one of these, be sure to try it out before putting it in your wallet.I've got as few of them over the years, and as often as not they won't open our doors.

And I wouldn't complain about a $36 key, our Volvo key costs about $240 to duplicate, and can only be done at a dealership.

xqwizit said: Oh and also, the AAA office I went to (Potrero Center in SF) had automated vending machines for their maps so you can just borrow someone's AAA card if you are not a member and get maps.Thanks for the post about the keys, but if you are truly an AAA member, you shouldn't be okay with suggesting people borrow cards to get freebies. The cost of excessive fraud will eventually be passed on to all of us members.

About 5 years ago I drug a Jeep out of the river that had different door locks than the ignition. After I restored it, I had new keys made for the doors, and AAA reimbursed me. I forget exactly how much they would reimburse me, but for some reason I think it was very high.

Good deal on plastic keys if you can use them. The only thing better than this is the comfort access on my new bmw =)

johnny98 said: AAA in California has been giving these emergency keys to members for at least 20 years. They are very flimsy and probably only good for 1 or 2 uses.

not true, I used to sneak out the car with this key many many times with the plastic key. I would say I've used it over 10 times and it was still working strong.

if i know i'm traveling a far distance, i would just take a spare remote and put it in one of those magnetic key holders. stuff it under the front bumper etc
so i can unlock the car in an emergency. remote, for unlocking and no starting capability.

thanks..

davamond said: I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever.
I too keep two keys; one in my pocket and the other in the glove box. that works as well..

Oh yeah. This has been there for over 10 years now. I have used this for many of my cars over this period, since we changed cars a few times.

This is an excellent feature, but they dont advertise. Not sure why.

smileyg said: davamond said: I have a very simple and permanent solution to this: I always carry two car keys with me, one is always attached to my belt, and the other in my pocket as the primary key. Worry-free forever.
I too keep two keys; one in my pocket and the other in the glove box. that works as well..

yeah...that works well till you lock yourself out of the car - then both keys are rendered useless.
and also works well for car thiefs, who find your key in the glovebox and don't need to hot-wire it.

honestly though, i would NOT keep a spare key in the glove box...bad idea!

great !!! ty!

Please change the title to indicate that it doesn't apply to ALL AAAs, like ours here in Mid-atlantic, it doens't work!

I just wasted gas to drive to Local AAA, and they don't have any clue what I am talking about.

Skipping 17 Messages...
I went to a AAA location and they had no clue what I was tlaking about. Could you please tell me where in the benifits did you find this deal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.