• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I think these are made by Subaru Robin.

LINK

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

link no work.

costco?

Note that these give "clean power" so thats why they are much more money then a standard generator.

Text

This is a decent deal,real quiet!
note-Battery Not Included

why are they more quiet?

I can't really tell you why as far as technical reasons but I know the invertor generators just in general seem to be so much quieter. I have a nice Makita one which is rated at 74db, it sounds a little quieter than a lawn mower. This one is rated at 62 db which is just a little above normal conversation or a TV at 'normal' volume.
Invertors are much more expensive.

got a scope of the power output? is it modified sine or pwm or true sine wave? even with a decent pwm some ups will be too sensitive to run off these.

this is a copy and paste quote from some guy name Wayne Dohnal from another group:

The portable inverter generators are very different from conventional generators. In general, for the same power capability they are smaller, lighter, quieter, use less fuel, produce higher quality power, and cost more. Some of the cost is due to the newness of the technology, and some is due to added soundproofing that the portable conventional generators don't generally have.

The biggest mechanical difference is that the inverter generators don't have a separate engine and alternator. Instead, the engine and alternator are integrated and there is no separate flywheel, with the alternator replacing the function of the flywheel. The alternator is a 3-phase device that produces a rather lousy waveform. The engine speed varies so the alternator's frequency also varies. The electronics module first changes the AC to DC (about 170 volts), using this to power a sine wave inverter to produce the genset's AC output. The electronics module varies the speed of the engine so with low AC loads it runs slower, significantly reducing noise and fuel consumption. At full load, the fuel consumption and noise are about the same as with a conventional generator with the same soundproofing. As I mentioned earlier, most of the inverter generators have additional soundproofing.

The inverter generator's AC output (for at least the major brands) is a very high quality sine wave and the frequency is always constant. Some of the inverter generators can be paralleled to like units to double the available power output. Due to the mechanical and electrical differences, an inverter generator will handle a smaller load increase with less disruption to the power output than with a conventional generator. With a large load increase, the inverter generator's lower rotating mass is a liability and the power disruption will be greater than with a conventional generator. This issue is often significant when an air conditioner starts up

just wondering if its clean enough to power a 30 amp 110V battery backup.

rigor said: just wondering if its clean enough to power a 30 amp 110V battery backup.

3800 watts = ~32amps at 120v

Basically a 30-amp twist-lock.

I'm not sure why you'd want to put 30A and 110v DC to a battery module...since just about every generator and appliance is AC.

Still, i'm not sure if this counts as a deal...3800 watts is on the low end of generators and this is easily 4 times more expensive. I guess if you specifically NEED it but...

rigor said: just wondering if its clean enough to power a 30 amp 110V battery backup.

Why do you need "clean" power for a battery back up application??

I sincerely doubt Suzuki Robins make these units.

"Today Onan branded products are built by Cummins Power Generation, a subsidiary of Cummins Inc. and a world leader in the design and manufacture of consumer and commercial power generation products." onan.com

Cummins, John Deere and Caterpillar are among the very few brands that have not exported jobs overseas and they have a brand cache around the world for being the best there is. There is a premium for this product because these are construction grade units used around the world you pay for what you get. MAN and Komatsu are the only foreign brands that come to mind that have the respect of Cummins, Deere, and Cat. Daimler Benz offers Cummins and Cat engines in their heavy trucks as an option.

ciscoopa said: rigor said: just wondering if its clean enough to power a 30 amp 110V battery backup.

3800 watts = ~32amps at 120v

Basically a 30-amp twist-lock.

I'm not sure why you'd want to put 30A and 110v DC to a battery module...since just about every generator and appliance is AC.

Still, i'm not sure if this counts as a deal...3800 watts is on the low end of generators and this is easily 4 times more expensive. I guess if you specifically NEED it but...

This isn't your Home Depot Murray or Husky Generator. Its like comparing a chevette to a Ferarri. Other generators in this class are the likes of Honda and Yamaha which are way more money!

Mac

here is a picture of Subaru Robin Generator.

LINK

jasonsparks said: here is a picture of Subaru Robin Generator.

LINK

Thanks for the blurb about inverter generators. That was very good info. Sounds like if you run it at full, the noise level would be the same, provided the soundproofing material being equal. And in my case, it would be for emergency power, and as such, would be running at max capacity.

I guess the biggest item here is the sine wave output which would be required for home theater and UPS. From one website, other items which need sine wave: oxygen concentrators, fax machines, laser printers, high voltage cordless tool chargers, equipment with variable speed motors, electric shavers, and garage door openers, high-end audio video units, plasma displays, gaming systems, and certain scientific testing equipment....

While the two pictures certainly look similar; there is no guarantee that the engine inside are the same; it could have a Briggs & Stratton engine....

-d

Sure do prefer diesel, but it's still a decent deal.

The engines are the same. EPA says that Cummins holds the EPA small engine Clean Air permits and manufactures the engine(Honda is the only foreign company with manufacturing permits for small engines in the US). Subaru appears to have designed the engine which Cummins brought up to Industrial ISO and EPA standards. Typical coproduction deal where each player brings something to the table and we benefit because there are two more competitors out there with a product in the market place. In this case a high quality product.

just got the generator today. it came straight from Japan. extremely nice generator for a great price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014