• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Teachers : Apple stores are a great place to take your students for a field trip ... so says Apple. For an opportunity to brainwash the naive, mushy brains of your young ones, they will throw in some goodies including a T-Shirt for the kids. Check out ....

Apple Store Field Trip

Edited : looks like Apple site will not allow direct link ... copy & paste the link in the Summary section below.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Oh come on! This isn't about tax dollars. Nowadays school districts can't afford buses for field trips. The parents dr... (more)

cardman (Sep. 30, 2008 @ 11:23p) |

I wouldn't want my kid to go to an apple or windows store. Now if the toured a Linux factory and learned lesson on how t... (more)

owenscott (Oct. 01, 2008 @ 12:05a) |

This field trip might be good for Girl/Boy Scout badge work.

macs4us (Oct. 01, 2008 @ 8:49a) |

Link to copy/paste : http://www.Apple.com/retail/fieldtrip/
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Copy & paste: http://www.apple.com/retail/fieldtrip/

Please put the fact that you must take a field trip to the Apple Store to get the t-shirt in your title!

I am not the one to be worried about a red so you can paint the entire post red all you want. But iceul2's points are invalid.

- I made it clear in the title that the T-shirt is for students ... though from a friend of mine I was just talking to, he got one as well during the visit (he is a teacher)
- Most teachers consider it a hot offer if they can get a free t-shirt for their students (let me guess ... you are not a teacher?)
- Field trip offer - I don't see the need for that ... There are other conditions such as Field trip dates are from Sept thru Nov, there should be a date available in local area, you must live near an Apple Store etc. Those are details. Most teachers are always looking for opportunities to take kids on a field trip so this is not like asking for the impossible.

Kikkoman said: iceul2 - I am not the one to be worried about a red so you can paint the entire post red all you want. But your points are invalid.

- I made it clear that the T-shirt is for students ... though from a friend of mine I was just talking to, he got one as well during the visit (he is a teacher)

Oh ok... I reread the title and now I get it. See it's a bit confusing, and I'll tell you why:

I read it as "for every student in your class, you get a free t-shirt"

instead of

"Free Apple t-shirt given to every student" "in your class"

So it's a bit unclear...

iceui2 said: Kikkoman said: iceul2 - I am not the one to be worried about a red so you can paint the entire post red all you want. But your points are invalid.

- I made it clear that the T-shirt is for students ... though from a friend of mine I was just talking to, he got one as well during the visit (he is a teacher)

Oh ok... I reread the title and now I get it. See it's a bit confusing, and I'll tell you why:

I read it as "Free Apple t-shirt" "for every student in your class"

instead

"Free Apple t-shirt for every student" "in your class"

So it's a bit unclear...

call me stupid, but you just confused it even more for me.

Alright .... I don't want to cause a chaotic situation leading to another 700 billion dollar bailout ... updated the title now. Let me know if it sounds any better.

It'd be great if you can add "with field trip to the Apple Store" in your title...

iceui2 said: It'd be great if you can add "with field trip to the Apple Store" in your title...

Done .... my last good deed for the day before I go to bed

That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!
By the way isn't there a forum called "Free Stuff"

docdave said: That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!

That forum is for offers that come to your home ... field trip costs time ... and GAS!!!!!

Kikkoman said: docdave said: That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!

That forum is for offers that come to your home ... field trip costs time ... and GAS!!!!!

and it's possible with several shirts, this offer goes over $10 in value. free stuff is for items UNDER $10.

FrugalFreak said: Kikkoman said: docdave said: That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!

and it's possible with several shirts, this offer goes over $10 in value. free stuff is for items UNDER $10.

If it's under $10, but over $9, is it really free? Also, what is the value of one shirt? I want to be sure I declare it accurately on my taxes.

docdave said: That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!

Every time I pick my kids up from school. I find myself thinking the same thing- elementary school teachers deserve a 400-500% raise for what they do. There's not a truck big enough to hold enough money to keep me locked inside a room with thirty plus elementary age kids for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have my hands full with my own two brats.

That being understood, the Apple Store is an awesome place to take such a group. It's full of cool stuff to keep them busy, and all you have to do is get them herded inside and position yourself by the exit so none of the little animals escape. Just let 'em run wild, they'll have plenty to keep them busy and there's very little chance of them getting hurt or lost (and lemme tell ya, that's a HUGE plus- I've chaperoned on overnight field trips and I know). If they break something, just display your field trip permission disclaimer and tell the staff to contact the school district. Fun and headache free for the teachers, and God knows they deserve fun and headache free.

A free t-shirt for the urchins is merely icing on the cake.

iceui2 said:

instead of

So it's a bit unclear...

How was that unclear? Are you a teacher who needs so many free t-shirts? Obviously Apple isn't going to give 30 t-shirts to the teacher! Are you such a greedy teacher that you wouldn't give the t-shirts to your students if Apple did as you were thinking?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather take the students to an apple orchard and have them do some physical activity (pick apples), eat some good food (apples right off the tree are just amazing), see nature and agriculture and get some fresh air. (it also works for Peach, Pear or other fruit)

(my misses thinks otherwise )

We live in MA, and we have quite a few Apple stores and many Apple orchards around here. U-Pick is very big here, and schools take the kids there, and they love it!

KidCharliemain said: Every time I pick my kids up from school. I find myself thinking the same thing- elementary school teachers deserve a 400-500% raise for what they do. There's not a truck big enough to hold enough money to keep me locked inside a room with thirty plus elementary age kids for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have my hands full with my own two brats.This teacher thanks you for that thought!

If I had the class I had last year, I would jump all over this, but the students I have this year are too special ed (very medically involved) so field trips are out of the question)

Good post OP.

iceui2 said: Kikkoman said: iceul2 - I am not the one to be worried about a red so you can paint the entire post red all you want. But your points are invalid.

instead of

So it's a bit unclear...

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

KidCharliemain said: docdave said: That's great, brainwash the youngsters before they're old enough to know better!

Every time I pick my kids up from school. I find myself thinking the same thing- elementary school teachers deserve a 400-500% raise for what they do. There's not a truck big enough to hold enough money to keep me locked inside a room with thirty plus elementary age kids for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have my hands full with my own two brats.

That being understood, the Apple Store is an awesome place to take such a group. It's full of cool stuff to keep them busy, and all you have to do is get them herded inside and position yourself by the exit so none of the little animals escape. Just let 'em run wild, they'll have plenty to keep them busy and there's very little chance of them getting hurt or lost (and lemme tell ya, that's a HUGE plus- I've chaperoned on overnight field trips and I know). If they break something, just display your field trip permission disclaimer and tell the staff to contact the school district. Fun and headache free for the teachers, and God knows they deserve fun and headache free.

First if your brat's teacher deserve that kinda raise then you or most people will not be able to afford to send them to school. Just because you can't handle your brats doesn't mean they derserve 400% to 500% raise. It just means you need to go to a parenting class to learn to control your brats. Next time think about what you comment.

Personal attacks aren't too cool. As far as the field trip .... can you say indoctrination.
I know docdave got it first but i wanted to voice my opinion too.

owenscott said: Personal attacks aren't too cool. As far as the field trip .... can you say indoctrination.

That was my thought, too. I'm wondering how many schools would actually approve this field trip. With all of the regulations of NCLB, schools are cutting back on anything that takes away from classroom time, even the really good field experiences. What would be the educational justification of going to an Apple Store?

A field trip to a STORE? Nice little consumers. Any teacher who takes their students on a "field trip" to a freaking STORE should be in anohter line of work.

MyDiscover said: KidCharliemain said:

SNIPPED
I have my hands full with my own two brats.
SNIPPED

First if your brat's teacher deserve that kinda raise then you or most people will not be able to afford to send them to school. Just because you can't handle your brats doesn't mean they derserve 400% to 500% raise. It just means you need to go to a parenting class to learn to control your brats. Next time think about what you comment.

Wow, you need to get your sarcasm detection meter checked, it's not picking up any signals. ALL kids are brats, particularly younger ones. They tell terrible jokes, they make unreasonable demands and ask unanswerable questions, they produce unexplainable smells, and most of the little buggers are missing teeth. The thought of confinement with multiple dozens of them strikes glacial fear into my heart. Ergo, yes, all elementary teachers (in fact all teachers) deserve a huge raise (400-500% is just a start) because there really is no higher calling then teaching the young and clueless. MY brats just happen to be the worst of the bunch; rebellious, undisciplined, and oh so sneaky. Every open house at school I attend, I try to warn their teachers about them, but the teachers never seem to take me seriously. They laugh off my warnings and just blather about how good, responsible, courteous, intelligent, and motivated the wretches are. Poor teachers, dealing with my brats has obviously pushed them over the edge and made them delusional.

And why couldn't I or most people afford to send them to school if teachers got big raises? There's money for everything else; making foreign countries into our 51st state, bailing out well groomed guys in snappy suits and expensive shoes, building bridges to noplace. Why can't we dump a few more bucks into education? Or does that fall under 'earmarks' and 'pork'? Crawl out from under that rock and you'll discover that not all money locally spent is necessarily money badly spent. Oh, and if I can toss you one word of advice- SPELLCHECK, dude. There ain't but one R in deserve, but there ARE two in under-served.

And I always think about how I comment, not what I comment, before spell- and grammarchecking and posting. I also think about other commenters' comments, and respond accordingly; thanks for noticing.

Finally, for those worried about 'indoctrination' of kids, teachers could always take an equal time field trip to a retail outlet that deals exclusively in Windows based products, like WalMart.

^^^^^^^^^^ regarding all kids are brats...

You should come to our company meetings. The CEO, CFO, CIO etc all act like brats...

How on earth can this be justified as an educational trip that will further the mental, emotional and/or cultural development of students? If I like tacos and Taco Bell is offering a buy-three-get-one-free deal, would that justify telling the principal that my class is going to take a run to the border (on a bus paid for by the school budget) to enable me and some of the students to obtain a free lunch? If I found out my daughter's teacher tried to pull a deal like that on a field trip, he/she would have to be one hell of a teacher making one hell of a lot of kids' lives better to convince me not to petition the school board for the teacher's suspension or outright termination.

well I wouldn't mind taking my college art students on a "field trip" there if apple wanted to give me something better than a lousy t-shirt as kickback... Sure they can give the students t's but I'd want a little more haha. I've yet to be convinced I need to completely switch over to mac - I use both - but I lean towards windows-based systems. A free MBP for bringing in my students might convince me otherwise

I visited my first Apple Store this summer. I had my 10 year old child with me at the time. We spent about 3 hours in the store on that visit. There is a LOT of hands on technology that you can play with in an Apple Store. Technology that many schools just can't afford. I don't find this a far fetched field trip at all if you live near a store. My son quite enjoyed playing with the photo software on the computers. I'm sure a GOOD teacher could find a way to cater this trip to their current study.

Man, there are a lot of posters here who need to expand their thinking beyond their own circumstances.

the question has been raised-
How on earth can this be justified as an educational trip that will further the mental, emotional and/or cultural development of students?
with the implied threat of serious consequences for any teacher who dared embark on such a perilous quest.

Now please allow me to enlighten you with some things you may not be aware of...
there are LOTS of public school students in this country who have little or no access to modern technology on a regular daily basis. There are plenty of schools where the teachers have to use their own funds (and when I say their own, I mean directly out of their own pockets, not bake sale proceeds, etc) to purchase supplemental teaching materials. Maybe not where YOU live, but believe it or not there are vast swaths of this country that are not as well off as you may be. I have volunteered in several Chicago public schools to help them upgrade their obsolete computer centers, or to establish programs in the first place with donated equipment because they have no budget at all for it. You'd be absolutely shocked to see how grateful some people would be to get a dirty old pentium II box with Win98 and an old 14" CRT monitor for free. On the rare occasions that schools like this can get the opportunity to take a field trip, I see absolutely nothing wrong with stopping in at the Apple Store as a secondary destination on the way to/back from whatever the PRIMARY field trip destination might be. Let the kids play for an hour and get a free t-shirt. Let them get exposed to some top dollar tech that they may not otherwise get a chance to play with under any other circumstances. Should a trip to the Apple Store be the sole focus of an educational field trip? Of course not. Should a true FWer see things only in the absolute simplest terms? Of course they shouldn't.

I'm also wondering if a lot of the naysayers in this thread have ever actually VISITED an Apple Store. At mall based locations, the Apple Store is a very common place for parents to park their kids while they go do other things, or even just to let the parents recover for twenty minutes or so. There are specific areas set up for younger children to play on computers with age appropriate games that require little/no assistance from parents, so the kids can play and the parents can clear their brains from a stressful shopping expedition. It is also a very low stress selling environment; you don't get salespeople leaping on you and trying to sell you stuff when you walk through the door. If you need help or have questions there are sales people available, but if you're just browsing or wasting time the staff is also generally cool with leaving you alone.

In most of the larger, free standing Apple stores there are also presentation areas/auditorium set ups ideally suited for larger groups. Apple regularly puts on 'Apple Camps' for kids to teach them how to use various software packages, and the larger locations run regular seminars and teaching sessions (hence the need for presentation areas/auditorium set ups), so they actually have the facilities available and some experience teaching people, particularly kids, about technology and software. Yes, it's Apple systems and software; but it's FREE, it's a nice clean safe professional environment, and contrary to the opinion of some skeptics here, it can also be EDUCATIONAL and INFORMATIVE. So where's the harm? It's not like a free session to introduce them to the Church of Scientology or the joys of Communist Doctrine. There's nothing scandalously wrong with it, take it for what it is.

Before screaming about how WRONG it is to consider this deal, copy and paste the link in the Quick Summary and actually LOOK at what's involved. It's an hour long, it's free, and it's a nice program for the kids and the teachers both. And for God's sake lighten up, it's not like anybody is demanding that you foot the bill for the trip.

If you read thru the posts, it is evident that the ones screaming against store visits are clearly non-teachers .... I would not be surprised if they don't have kids either.

As KidCharliemain & shopliftinginva have nicely articulated, the point is to have an educational experience that reinforces what they learn in class. Most schools have computer classes these days from 1st grade or even Kindergarten. Obviously, these classes start with a simple intro to keyboard and typing but get more complex as they progress. Apple Store will obviously show them the cool things they can do with the machines perhaps a lot more than what they learn in schools. In a way, it is a technology orchard ... to compare with a fruit orchard that some one has mentioned. And they are not mutually exclusive ... my kids will take 4 fields trips this year.

MyDiscover said:

Really? He couldn't afford it? I bet he could if we taxed anyone making over $100k at 50%, like some other industrialized countries with better educational systems do; or if we took a bit of money from weapons spending and sent it their way. Either way, you're a pompous idiot.

ibnuts said: MyDiscover said:

Really? He couldn't afford it? I bet he could if we taxed anyone making over $100k at 50%, like some other industrialized countries with better educational systems do; or if we took a bit of money from weapons spending and sent it their way. Either way, you're a pompous idiot.
Throw all the money you want at schools/teachers, it's not going to turn your disrespectful, lazy, and irresponsible chip off the old block into a good student. It's so easy to blame the educational system, which works just fine for children whose parents give a damn, instead of looking at the real source of the problem with most kids.

As for this "deal," no deal. There's no educational benefit, and it is simply wasting taxpayer dollars busing a class to an Apple Store.

KidCharliemain said: for God's sake lighten up, it's not like anybody is demanding that you foot the bill for the trip.

Actually if it is a public school I am paying for it via property taxes on my home.
I think it is a retarded idea and resent my tax dollars being wasted on this crap!
If Apple wants the kids there so badly let them pay to bus the kids there after school!

KidCharliemain said: Thisismatt said: Throw all the money you want at schools/teachers, it's not going to turn your disrespectful, lazy, and irresponsible chip off the old block into a good student. It's so easy to blame the educational system, which works just fine for children whose parents give a damn, instead of looking at the real source of the problem with most kids.

As for this "deal," no deal. There's no educational benefit, and it is simply wasting taxpayer dollars busing a class to an Apple Store.

Matt is absolutely right. Why waste valuable money on stupid things like educational resources when it's so desperately needed to bail out disrespectful, lazy, and irresponsible Wall Street Firms who just happen to be tight with the Treasury Secretary and who form the absolute ethical backbone of our stumbling economy? Besides, it's become abundantly clear that even a marginal C-/D+ student can grow up to become president of this great country of ours, with proper parental guidance.

It's also clear that familiarizing children with state of the art technology, software, and procedures by professionals will have absolutely zero benefits when demonstrated solely on a single computing platform. It's not like anything non-Apple related is going to rub off on the kids, or they'll be inspired or motivated to pursue further educational opportunities based on the experience. In fact, why bother educating the lil bastiches at all? We could rebuild the entire industrial base of this country if we'd just put 'em to work right away, like they did in the good ole days (dang stupid child labor laws, where's deregulation when you really need it?). Thanks for posting Matt, you've totally convinced me. Ever thought about running for Vice President?
Did I say anything about the bailout? No. A marginal C-/D+ student starts his education and learns responsibility and respect at home. Paying your child's teacher $500,000 a year and at the same time stripping his/her ability to discipline your disrespectful kid isn't going to get your child a better education. It'll get his teachers to stop complaining as much, though, I'll give you that. I don't blame, them, though. If they complained about the real problem with their jobs (disrespectful, irresponsible, and neglected kids raised by like-kind parents) they'd have a bunch of parents with their panties in a wad barking for their resignation.

As for your second point, not even worth addressing.

KidCharliemain said: Thisismatt said: It's also clear that familiarizing children with state of the art technology, software, and procedures by professionals will have absolutely zero benefits when demonstrated solely on a single computing platform. It's not like anything non-Apple related is going to rub off on the kids, or they'll be inspired or motivated to pursue further educational opportunities based on the experience. In fact, why bother educating the lil bastiches at all? We could rebuild the entire industrial base of this country if we'd just put 'em to work right away, like they did in the good ole days (dang stupid child labor laws, where's deregulation when you really need it?). Thanks for posting Matt, you've totally convinced me. Ever thought about running for Vice President?

I missed the sarcasm the first time I read this... but you're completely right. Kids will pursue things they get excited about, and more kids getting excited about technology and computers is absolutely a (minor) educational objective.

It's like taking a field trip to the botanical garden as inspiration for a writing class-- sure, it's a waste of money to do it more than once, and there's no direct educational value, but there's a huge value to making making school fun once in a while.

great. apple provides the shirts, and the taxpayers pay to get the kids to the store to buy more of their stuff. wtf, jobs?

KidCharliemain said: Man, there are a lot of posters here who need to expand their thinking beyond their own circumstances.

the question has been raised-
How on earth can this be justified as an educational trip that will further the mental, emotional and/or cultural development of students?
with the implied threat of serious consequences for any teacher who dared embark on such a perilous quest.

Now please allow me to enlighten you with some things you may not be aware of...
there are LOTS of public school students in this country who have little or no access to modern technology on a regular daily basis. There are plenty of schools where the teachers have to use their own funds (and when I say their own, I mean directly out of their own pockets, not bake sale proceeds, etc) to purchase supplemental teaching materials. Maybe not where YOU live, but believe it or not there are vast swaths of this country that are not as well off as you may be. I have volunteered in several Chicago public schools to help them upgrade their obsolete computer centers, or to establish programs in the first place with donated equipment because they have no budget at all for it. You'd be absolutely shocked to see how grateful some people would be to get a dirty old pentium II box with Win98 and an old 14" CRT monitor for free....

Then how about Apple give the school some equipment or software in exchange for bringing kids there as part of their advertising instead of some lousy t-shirt as more walking-around advertising? LOL I have to agree with some of the others. I can't see that this has much if any more redeeming educational value than a visit to many other commercial stores that are selling their own products/services.

I don't know about Chicago, but do I know that in a number of other cities where we had offices and I tried to give away old equipment, most schools (including inner-city schools) weren't interested at all in it unless it was relatively new and met various requirements (and many have standards for their hardware/softwate/networks, etc. that they all must comply with because of support and maintenance costs). As they told me, they have people wanting to dump old obsolete stuff on them all the time and they have no use for it any more than anyone else does. It was different 10 or 15 years ago when they were happy to get whatever just to have a computer around.

It's not like a free session to introduce them to the Church of Scientology or the joys of Communist Doctrine. There's nothing scandalously wrong with it, take it for what it is.

You mean Apple isn't a religon? I know some devotees who would argue that. ; )

It's not terrible but I think it's a quite a stretch to represent it as solely "educational." It's advertising pure and simple. Apple is more than anything else a marketing company and you can be sure that they understand that. I'm not an Apple hater, but if it was Microsoft (or Oracle, or RIM, etc.) doing exactly the same thing (which they likely do in some forms), people would be claiming an anti-competitive conspiracy to mind-meld them to Windows and organizing boycotts. LOL

Thisismatt said: Paying your child's teacher $500,000 a year and at the same time stripping his/her ability to discipline your disrespectful kid isn't going to get your child a better education.

Wow! $500K per year! I'm changing careers to be a teacher. (note the sarcasm matt)

I have visited Apple Store before and it's mostly teenagers and young people and depending on some of the hoods, gangsters as well. The thought of having 30 or so elementary school kids running around in a very crowded Apple Store strikes me as crazy and asinine. Are you serious?? I don't know about you, but I am sure most young males, gangsters hate kids with passion. I would definitely have the teachers suspended or terminated. I would take it up to the principal and the superintendent. This is a lot of legal responsibilities the teacher is undertaking.

On the other hand, this is idea is really dumb because you are indoctrinating your little kids that materialism and having more toys is great when little kids are still depending on their parents. Who will pay those stuff? parents. I like toys but I pay for them myself. Taking your kids to mall and to Apple Store will teach them to have wants and that by getting their "wants" not "needs" fulfilled would their lives be better. Technology and materialism are great as long as people understand and have the ability to take on its consequences and the responsibilities.

In addition, exposing your kids to ipods and computers too early on will hurt them more than it help them.

Wow. Wow wow wow. WW.

Property taxes wasted on transporting kids to a {deep breath} RETAIL STORE.

My total and complete lack of competence as a parent.

The futility of paying teachers more to straighten out my rotten kids (see sentence just above).

Persuading kids to become more materialistic at the expense of fulfilling their needs.

Apple's sinister plans to indoctrinate youngsters into their exclusive user cults.

Premature exposure of small children to ipods and computers.

Gangsters in the Apple Store.

I gotta admit that I misunderestimated the resistance of reactionaries and luddites to this deal. Obviously a free hour at the Apple Store is fraught with more peril and dire consequence that I had ever considered. If there's any other reasons I missed, please feel free to chime in.

WW

most american teenagers are dumb, impressionable sheep easily manipulated by advertising and would trade their futures for going on american idol or do you know how to dance.

Skipping 5 Messages...
This field trip might be good for Girl/Boy Scout badge work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014