• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just got back from Lowes in Citrus Heights, CA. They have 1 gallon of Klean-Strip boiled linseed oil for $2.25. The sign says clearance, reduced from $2.50, but original price is actually around $25. They still have the smaller quart size for about $8.00. At about 90% off, this is a pretty good deal if you need linseed oil. It can be used as a paint thinner or wood treatment, among other uses. I'm planning on some diy treated wood in the garden (so as no not use pressure-treated and possibly introduce toxins into my veggies). I found an old recipe using linseed oil and pulverized charcoal as a treatment.
Anyway, good deal if you need it. Not sure if its nationwide, or just my local store, so YMMV.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There are two types of linseed oil: "boiled" and "raw". Boiled is blended with synthetic chemicals. You can use raw on c... (more)

violetz6 (Dec. 05, 2008 @ 9:04a) |

A lot cheaper than Mobil 1, and my engine seems to be running better too.

p0tempkin (Dec. 05, 2008 @ 9:08a) |

Some people type ALL CAPS because their eyesight is faltering. I work for a man who is 87, and that's why he likes ALL C... (more)

SalemCat (Dec. 05, 2008 @ 10:04a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not sure if its nationwide, or just my local store.Then please add YMMV to the subject line. Thanks.

tcope said: Not sure if its nationwide, or just my local store.Then please add YMMV to the subject line. Thanks.

Thanks,
it's been updated

while I know nothing about lineseed oil. this seems like a good price. thanks for your post!

Spontaneous combustion -- SAFETY WITH LINSEED OIL !!!!
Wadded or balled-up oil rags are the cause of many fires every year.
If you use rags with your linseed oil, make sure you either:

1. Spread them flat and weigh them down, so they don't blow into a pile.
or
2. Keep them submerged in water in a container with a lid, so it doesn't evaporate.
or
3. Burn the rags in a controlled fire.

It can happen with other oils and thinners as well.

Linseed oil is great as a wood preservative. I use it to coat the wood handles of my wheelborrow, to coat the wood frame of my bbq'r, on my teak bench.

The Army used it to coat the wood gunstocks of the old M14's.

Thanks, I'll check my Lowe's

Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...
Is this better than peanut oil for cooking fries?

bossofyou said: Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...
If you wanna die soon. Poison.

Claymore said: bossofyou said: Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...

How about as biodiesel?

Tarajunky said: How about as biodiesel?
If you want to die even sooner . . .

tcope said: Not sure if its nationwide, or just my local store.Then please add YMMV to the subject line. Thanks.

Wah, wah, wah. You should know by now that all clearance deals at Lowe's are YMMV.

bossofyou said: Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...

Never mind. I thought it was for flaxseed oil ala Barry Bonds.

gubble said: Spontaneous combustion -- SAFETY WITH LINSEED OIL !!!!
Wadded or balled-up oil rags are the cause of many fires every year.
If you use rags with your linseed oil, make sure you either:

1. Spread them flat and weigh them down, so they don't blow into a pile.
or
2. Keep them submerged in water in a container with a lid, so it doesn't evaporate.
or
3. Burn the rags in a controlled fire.

PLEASE - DO NOT IGNORE THE PREVIOUS POST.

Linseed Oil is indeed extremely dangerous. It will start a fire without a single spark or flame.

Try this experiment: Place a small amount of Linseed Oil on a Paper Towel. Roll it into a loose ball, take it outside, and place it all by itself in a METAL Trash Can. Keep an eye on it - it WILL burst into flame within 30 minutes.

In my opinion Linseed Oil is the single most dangerous item you can keep in your home - short of maybe Gasoline !

But Linseed Oil is actually worse than Gasoline, because so few people realize the very real danger of this seemingly innocent substance.

When I use this oil, or similar ones, I IMMEDIATELY soak the rags with water until dripping wet, then I place them in a small plastic trash bag, and get them outside away from my home until trash day. Treat anything with Linseed Oil on it as if it WILL BURST INTO FLAME - because the odds are good it will.

Claymore said: bossofyou said: Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...

So only Chinese manufacturers can cook with it?

gubble said: Spontaneous combustion -- SAFETY WITH LINSEED OIL !!!!

Green for the safety note. I always heard this but didn't really beleive it of say, cooking oil or motor oil, but one time at my Army Reserve drill center some rags in a can caught on fire. The First Shirt turned it into an impromptu safety breifing and we all got to kick the rags together and watch them ignite, then kick them apart and put them out.

Another: last year a local steakhouse burned to the ground. The investigator blamed greasy bar towels which had been laundered.

yeah good price ...but will it still be hot by the time ya get it home?

SalemCat said: gubble said: Spontaneous combustion -- SAFETY WITH LINSEED OIL !!!!

>SNIP<

When I use this oil, or similar ones, I IMMEDIATELY soak the rags with water until dripping wet, then I place them in a small plastic trash bag, and get them outside away from my home until trash day. Treat anything with Linseed Oil on it as if it WILL BURST INTO FLAME - because the odds are good it will.

Give us a heads up, we'll come and watch. Maybe even call Steven Spielburg. A flaming garbage truck careening through a suburban neighborhood, Whooo...talk about smellorama...

It sounds like it's good to have just for fun, like dry ice. I do have another use for it: cutting boards. Anyone else get this deal yet?

Bad idea for Cutting Boards. Linseed Oil is Toxic.

For Cutting Boards use Mineral Oil

bloodstone said: bossofyou said: Hc000 said: while I know nothing about lineseed oil...

Never mind. I thought it was for flaxseed oil ala Barry Bonds.

Linseed oil, also known as flax seed oil or simply flax oil, is a clear to yellowish drying oil derived from the dried ripe seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum, Linaceae). It is obtained by pressing, followed by an optional stage of solvent extraction. Cold pressed oil obtained without solvent extraction is marketed as flaxseed oil.

SalemCat said: PLEASE - DO NOT IGNORE THE PREVIOUS POST.

Linseed Oil is indeed extremely dangerous. It will start a fire without a single spark or flame.

Try this experiment: Place a small amount of Linseed Oil on a Paper Towel. Roll it into a loose ball, take it outside, and place it all by itself in a METAL Trash Can. Keep an eye on it - it WILL burst into flame within 30 minutes.

Is this the key behind spontaneous human combustion?

SalemCat said: Bad idea for Cutting Boards. Linseed Oil is Toxic.
No it isn't. Linseed oil is also known as flaxseed oil. It is a common nutritional supplement. The oil in hardware stores is sometimes combined with other toxic ingredients. Read the label.

kewl said: SalemCat said: Bad idea for Cutting Boards. Linseed Oil is Toxic.
No it isn't. Linseed oil is also known as flaxseed oil. It is a common nutritional supplement. The oil in hardware stores is sometimes combined with other toxic ingredients. Read the label.

Correct! See wiki:

"Boiled linseed oil
Boiled linseed oil is used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its own. Heating the oil makes it polymerize and oxidize, effectively making it thicker and shortening the drying time. Today most products labeled as "boiled linseed oil" are a combination of raw linseed oil, petroleum-based solvent and metallic dryers. The use of metallic dryers makes boiled linseed oil inedible. There are some products available that contain only heat-treated linseed oil, without exposure to oxygen. Heat treated linseed oil is thicker and dries very slowly. These are usually labeled as "polymerized" or "stand" oils, though some may still be labeled as boiled.

[edit] Spontaneous combustion
Rags dampened with boiled linseed oil are considered a fire hazard because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil. The oxidation of linseed oil is an exothermic reaction which accelerates as the temperature of the rags increases. If rate of heat accumulation exceeds the rate of dissipation, this reaction may eventually become sufficiently hot to cause spontaneous combustion of the rags. Linseed oil soaked rags should never be stored in an enclosed container. Instead rags should be washed, soaked with water, or incinerated. A fire that destroyed the El Rey Theater-Golden West Saloon in February 2008 was ignited by the spontaneous combustion of linseed oil soaked rags left in a plastic container. [16] Another fire blamed on linseed oil-soaked rags is the one that destroyed the original territorial-era North Dakota Capitol building in Bismarck, ND on December 28, 1930."

An old recipe for finishing raw wood, plywood , etc. is:
1/3 Boiled linseed oil
1/3 Gum spirits of turpentine
1/3 Vinegar (white, cider, red wine- depending on how dark you want the wood to appear)
Place in a jar with a screw cap and shake vigorously to blend.
Give it a coat a day for a week.

kewl said: SalemCat said: Bad idea for Cutting Boards. Linseed Oil is Toxic.

Since the entire post concerns Linseed Oil on sale at Lowes, which IS toxic, it is certainly Off Topic to bring up Flaxseed Oil. They don't sell Flaxseed Oil at Lowes.

In addition, soaking your Cutting Board in Flaxseed Oil is a surefire way to ruin it. The oil will turn rancid, and cause your Cutting Board to become a haven for bacteria.

Another basic recipe that I was going to work from:

Take boiled linseed oil and stir in it pulverized charcoal to the consistency of paint. Put a coat of this over the timber, and there is not a man that will live to see it rotten." (From "Lee's Priceless Recipes" 1895)

Turaco said: Another basic recipe that I was going to work from:

Take boiled linseed oil and stir in it pulverized charcoal to the consistency of paint. Put a coat of this over the timber, and there is not a man that will live to see it rotten." (From "Lee's Priceless Recipes" 1895)

What works even better is to char the ends of the boards that are going to contact or be below ground. No painting or any thing. The first 18" of most soils is the most active to decay. They also say to put the post in the ground the same direction that it grew (if you can determine it) and it will decay slower!

Good deal OP and I'm getting this (I hope) just to see if it will start a fire!

My co-worker was using linseed oil on her boat and burnt her garage when the rags self-combusted. To be fair, she was stupid.

Thanks to everyone who contributed regarding linseed oil on cutting boards

Surprisingly, this is an informative thread.

Great to use as a replacement for KY.

Izpoof said: Great to use as a replacement for KY.
...and setting your private parts on fire.

Linseed oil is great for sealing and finishing Saltillo with.

And thats one heck of a good price.

1 gallon will finish about 400 sq ft of flooring when sealed with two coats.

You can use more or less depending on if you are going to put anything on top.

Do all your tile prep outside before you have them installed. then the grout will not stick to the surface when they are layed.

After that apply your gloss finish.

minidanas said: It sounds like it's good to have just for fun, like dry ice. I do have another use for it: cutting boards. Anyone else get this deal yet?

The show Time Warp on the Discovery Channel did a special on dry ice recently. They put small pieces of it in water in a closed bottle. Within 5 minutes, the bottle blew up - rather violently I might add. That's not something to play with either.

WolfKingpin00 said: minidanas said: It sounds like it's good to have just for fun, like dry ice. I do have another use for it: cutting boards. Anyone else get this deal yet?

The show Time Warp on the Discovery Channel did a special on dry ice recently. They put small pieces of it in water in a closed bottle. Within 5 minutes, the bottle blew up - rather violently I might add. That's not something to play with either.
Yes Daddy

WolfKingpin00 said: minidanas said: It sounds like it's good to have just for fun, like dry ice. I do have another use for it: cutting boards. Anyone else get this deal yet?

When you were a kid, didn't you ever make a dry ice bomb? People I knew.... used to put them in Mail Boxes.

Have a deisel vehicle? 2006 or earlier? you can put a gallon or two in your tank without harm. cheap fuel @ $2.25 a gallon

Excellent price. Being an amateur woodworker, I know it's considered a very popular and simple finish for furniture. Apply it on some cherry and give it plenty of time to dry with a coating of wax paste afterwards. Set it out in the sun to "age" and you can get a very beautiful golden brown color.

majorwoody said: WolfKingpin00 said: minidanas said: It sounds like it's good to have just for fun, like dry ice. I do have another use for it: cutting boards. Anyone else get this deal yet?

Yes Daddy

Lol. Ok, I will admit it was pretty cool looking. Just get a good distance away.

Skipping 20 Messages...
Some people type ALL CAPS because their eyesight is faltering. I work for a man who is 87, and that's why he likes ALL CAPS. If I make it to 87 I'll be lucky to see as well as he does. That said, ALL CAPS drives me CrAzY.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014