• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
Most of you need to shut up. Its F R E E. Meaning NO MONEY REQUIRED. Who cares if Norton or McAfee is better than this FREE download.

Do you need to be HTC residential internet customer to be eligible for this?
FAQ:
10. Can my friends also get Trend Micro™ PC-cillin™ Internet Security?
Yes, if they also have HTC Internet Service, they can be protected for FREE. If they are not an HTC Internet Service customer they can purchase PC-cillin™ Internet Security for $49.95/year from an authorized reseller.

... just asking (here)...

Thanks, Mister C!

gadgetman said: Avast for me has worked great. Anyone else use it?

I hate how avast updates its database CONSTANTLY. Anyway to stop auto updates (didnt see this option)

It has a big footprint and slows down the lappy.............

YankeeRedneck said: gadgetman said: Avast for me has worked great. Anyone else use it?

I hate how avast updates its database CONSTANTLY. Anyway to stop auto updates (didnt see this option)

Wait...you want to stop the auto updates ? You hate the way Avast updates constantly ? I see updates every couple of days on my Avast. Ummm.. updates mean that the folks at Avast are doing their homework. That means that you are getting the latest and greatest virus definitions added to your system. And that means that you are better protected from threats on the net than you were before the update took place.

Racerbob said: YankeeRedneck said: gadgetman said: Avast for me has worked great. Anyone else use it?

Wait...you want to stop the auto updates ? You hate the way Avast updates constantly ? I see updates every couple of days on my Avast. Ummm.. updates mean that the folks at Avast are doing their homework. That means that you are getting the latest and greatest virus definitions added to your system. And that means that you are better protected from threats on the net than you were before the update took place.

Yea, I know what/why updates occur. That was not the question. Q was how to stop them
or perhaps schedule them to occur say once a week or so.............

aares said: Most of you need to shut up. Its F R E E. Meaning NO MONEY REQUIRED. Who cares if Norton or McAfee is better than this FREE download.

I agree with you . . . . except Trend makes great stuff. This is pro quality software. Period. Full stop.

Not gonna knock Norton or McAfee . . . . . . but I'll take Trend over them any day of the week! It's a no-brainer.

I'm surprised that nobody asks this. But who are "HTC residential internet customers"?

wuhoo said: im using avg, is it worth it to switch to either Trend Micro or avast?

Same question here. I thought AVG was fine.

Is Avast better?

I used Trend-micro before and it locked my computer up.

wu9tiger said: I'm surprised that nobody asks this. But who are "HTC residential internet customers"?http://www.htcinc.net/internet_security-faq.cfm

http://www.htcinc.net/about.cfm

I would have thought the same thing until I used Norton Internet Security 2009. Norton 2009 is by far the best suite I have ever used and I have used a bunch of them, including Kaspersky 2009, Trend Micro 2008, AVG, Avast, WebRoot, etc. It uses less system resources than any suite and has top notch performance in scans on my system.

guardian44 said: aares said: Most of you need to shut up. Its F R E E. Meaning NO MONEY REQUIRED. Who cares if Norton or McAfee is better than this FREE download.

I agree with you . . . . except Trend makes great stuff. This is pro quality software. Period. Full stop.

Not gonna knock Norton or McAfee . . . . . . but I'll take Trend over them any day of the week! It's a no-brainer.

HAHHAA you know that for all the trouble to get the cd, it only for 1 month service right? When you go to register you can sign up for 1 month, 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years antivirus service

ronotran said: HAHHAA you know that for all the trouble to get the cd, it only for 1 month service right? When you go to register you can sign up for 1 month, 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years antivirus service
For real? Only 1 month free?

I'm using Avira right now for a week now and looks great. Waiting till thanks giving when all the norton will be FAR.

Mr. C, you did good. I want to say that first so you don't get mad at this joke: What do you give someone who has everything? I don't know but I would start with ...

microkelvin said: ronotran said: HAHHAA you know that for all the trouble to get the cd, it only for 1 month service right? When you go to register you can sign up for 1 month, 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years antivirus service
For real? Only 1 month free?

He is talking about all the fools saying Best Buy has copies of Trend for $3.99. If you buy that copy and only pay 3.99 it is only good for one month. It is still $39.99 for a year and discounted for 2 and 3 years. I work at geek squad I would know. Also please don't use AVG it is complete crap. I use avast or kaspersky on all of my computers.

I seem to remember there being a prob with Ad-Aware when using 2008 or maybe 2007 Trend Micro Internet Security Suite. Can anyone enlighten me? If so, would using 2006 be the answer? Thanks!

For those who would like to compare AV's, one of the better places to do so is here: av-comparatives

(click the Comparatives box on the right, then pick a test to see results)

Anyone who uses online banking or makes internet purchases needs the best protection they can get. There are a bunch of trojans out there that love to steal financial info.

FWIW I manage an IT department and we have Trend Micro installed on over 2000 machines and servers. In my consulting days I personally built an environment and rolled out Norton AV Corporate to ~5000 machines. Also worked closely with Sophos back in the 90's while I'm pimping geek cred.

First let me say this: AV and anti-spy/malware is NOT the place to cheap out on a PC.

As for trend specifically, it's a decent product. Not the best, not the worst. Free makes it attractive but there are other free AV products out there too.

We often (meaning ~3-5 times a week in 2000+ machines) get an uncleanable virus reported to our central AV server. Almost all of them are false alerts. When unsure, we run AVG

TheFinalProphecy said: Wrong, I work for Geek Squad

Sorry to hear that.

TheFinalProphecy said: and the "Tech Bench" copy rings up for 39.99.

Next time I go to Best Buy (some time this week), I will scan the receipt and post it for you since it's not on your MRI CD.

Question 10 of the FAQ on the web site says the following:

Yes, if they also have HTC Internet Service, they can be protected for FREE. If they are not an HTC Internet Service customer they can purchase PC-cillin™ Internet Security for $49.95/year from an authorized reseller.

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but installing this software when you are not a customer of HTC is software piracy and is against the law. This is akin to finding a car with the keys in the ignition. It was a pretty dumb for the owner to leave the keys in the ignition, but hopping in the car and driving off would be stealing. This isn't a hot deal, this is stealing.

TimmayCO said: Question 10 of the FAQ on the web site says the following:

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but installing this software when you are not a customer of HTC is software piracy and is against the law. This is akin to finding a car with the keys in the ignition. It was a pretty dumb for the owner to leave the keys in the ignition, but hopping in the car and driving off would be stealing. This isn't a hot deal, this is stealing.

right, that's why they have the "download the software" hyperlink at the end of that FAQ#10 with absolutely no restriction for a "friend" to download it or payment asked for.

Sorry, mistercheap. I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not interested in arguing about this. I promise you I dislike the folks at Trend as much as anybody. I've supported their enterprise software for years. You haven't lived until you've listend to Trend support music for 4 hours.

The bottom line is that, unless you're a customer of HTC, downloading and installing this software is software piracy.

TimmayCO said: Sorry, mistercheap. I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not interested in arguing about this. I promise you I dislike the folks at Trend as much as anybody. I've supported their enterprise software for years. You haven't lived until you've listend to Trend support music for 4 hours.

The bottom line is that, unless you're a customer of HTC, downloading and installing this software is software piracy.

if the link is accessible to anyone without restrictions and doesn't require an email address (which they could easily establish and ask for) I think piracy is a strong term here. They've basically set it up for open downloading, there's no warnings or disclaimers and again, the download link is featured on a South Carolina news website to begin with, not the host page of the Internet provider itself (see www.sccoast.net)

I keep getting these....
Error Message
Invalid Serial Number

You have entered an invalid serial number. Please enter a valid number.

If you entered an incorrect serial number, click here to open instructions for entering the correct number.

If you have entered the correct serial number but continue to receive an error message, please contact Trend Micro Customer Support for help. (Error Code: 0x90000002)

any help????

michele13 said: I keep getting these....
Error Message
Invalid Serial Number

If you entered an incorrect serial number, click here to open instructions for entering the correct number.

If you have entered the correct serial number but continue to receive an error message, please contact Trend Micro Customer Support for help. (Error Code: 0x90000002)

any help????

When copying and pasting, watch the spaces at the end.. Sometimes they mess it up.

do i have to install this by tonight? if we can install it at a later date, when does it expire?

thx.

dealwagon said: michele13 said: I keep getting these....
Error Message
Invalid Serial Number

any help????

When copying and pasting, watch the spaces at the end.. Sometimes they mess it up.

Ditto. My guess is when Michele13 Copy&Paste, her mouse captured an empty space and she didn't realize it. The extra space reads as a character in the install program. Just type the serial in by hand. It's not too bad. This is a good time to buy a good mouse (for control).

Sorry but I must share this. I think it's funny. Link

Thanks.

TimmayCO said: Sorry, mistercheap. I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not interested in arguing about this. I promise you I dislike the folks at Trend as much as anybody. I've supported their enterprise software for years. You haven't lived until you've listend to Trend support music for 4 hours.

aargh?

Thanks for sharing!

TimmayCO said:

your righteousness is commendable dude.....The rest of us are happy to download free software

Thanks OP

I've used avast myself for past 2 months. Switched from AVG, which never gave me problems either. I'm curious though, which one uses the least resources while doing an effective job?

Thanks!! Don't forget to vote!!!

Good find! After installing/activating, the subscription expires in 2011.

dealwagon said: Not to thread crap, just a FWIW if you are not running the latest hardware with 2 Gigs RAM..

We switched from Norton (BLEHGHGGT!!!) to Trend Micro on our 10 PCs. Well, we had to install more ram, as each of them slowed down significantly with Trend Micro installed. We are switching to AVG this year.

If you have the hardware, this is a good deal!

that's why you go into options and dial it back on weaker machines ............

desynced said: TheFinalProphecy said: Wrong, I work for Geek Squad

Sorry to hear that.

TheFinalProphecy said: and the "Tech Bench" copy rings up for 39.99.

Next time I go to Best Buy (some time this week), I will scan the receipt and post it for you since it's not on your MRI CD.
Go for it. Unless someone manually changes the price for you, or you purchase something that "packages" in a discount, it will not ring up for a different price.

i think that the download only works for subscribers of HTC internet. unless i did something wrong, it did now work for me.

deleted double post

desynced said: I will scan the receipt and post it for you since it's not on your MRI CD. Why would your receipt be on a CD of mine?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014