YMCA Membership for Low Income Persons

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you make under $22,000 a year for single person or $35,000-$45,000 for family (could be more or less depending on area) you qualify for a scholarship to help pay for your membership.It's on a sliding scale and trust me it will be cheaper than most any other gym and you won't have the headaches of contracts.I am on S.S.I. and make under 7k a year,my membership is $7 a month.Hot tub,steam bath,swimming pool,elliptical trainers,weights and free programs.It's the best $7 I ever spent.Call your YMCA for details and a scholarship form.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Don't think the Y is any better or any worse than any other gym. The one I belong to has signs up that bans you nati... (more)

MNFRUGALSHOPPER (Jan. 31, 2009 @ 12:53a) |

Probably no worse than any other health club.

The important thing about the Y is that you can get yourself clean, you can... (more)

JonesBeach (Jan. 31, 2009 @ 4:59a) |

dining at the Y?

whats up with the income discrimination? it is as bad as racism. equal rights for people who work harder... (more)

rigor (Jan. 31, 2009 @ 5:29a) |

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for the post. This has given me the idea to donate $$$ to my local YMCA specifically for this program. I can't think of a better way to encourage a healthier lifestyle for lower income persons than to provide an extremely cheap gym membership.

You can give specifically to certain programs you might consider the kids that need money to go to summer camp and I think they get back packs and stuff with some of the money.The Y has some great camping facilities for kids.

billjriv said: You can give specifically to certain programs you might consider the kids that need money to go to summer camp and I think they get back packs and stuff with some of the money.The Y has some great camping facilities for kids.

My guess is that most people who donate to the Y usually donate to the children's programs. I think that is wonderful, but I am of the opinion that if we want to seriously take on poverty we have to start with the parents. Imagine the change that occurs in a persons life when a healthier body gives them the energy and self-confidence to take on life's challenges with a renewed vigor. Now, imagine the the change in a child's outlook on life when they see their parents facing and conquering challenges that they had previously given up on.

hyper green for you OP, this is a GREAT subsidized deal!

My Y was getting 55$/month per person. They wanted 75$/month for a couple. All the gyms in the area charge 25-30$/person. Obviously they don't have the pools and gyms and racquetball courts, but they could have made it a bit more affordable.

bbr said: billjriv said: You can give specifically to certain programs you might consider the kids that need money to go to summer camp and I think they get back packs and stuff with some of the money.The Y has some great camping facilities for kids.

My guess is that most people who donate to the Y usually donate to the children's programs. I think that is wonderful, but I am of the opinion that if we want to seriously take on poverty we have to start with the parents. Imagine the change that occurs in a persons life when a healthier body gives them the energy and self-confidence to take on life's challenges with a renewed vigor. Now, imagine the the change in a child's outlook on life when they see their parents facing and conquering challenges that they had previously given up on.

I agree with that.I can say if it wasn't for the Y I wouldn't be who I am today because I was able to afford to go somewhere in a good environment and exercise.It's very positive and nice to get help until you get on your feet in life.

The Marysville WA Y has no joinging fees for November and December. Great time to join.

bbr said: billjriv said: You can give specifically to certain programs you might consider the kids that need money to go to summer camp and I think they get back packs and stuff with some of the money.The Y has some great camping facilities for kids.

First, green for OP! Thank you for posting this. The following is for all those who may question donating....or wondering if their money was well spent. YES it is!

Due to a catastrophic illness, I was left alone to raise 4 children. This past year was a living hell. There was no help from anyone. All I wanted was a chance to get on my feet and take a breath of air with the kids. Finally, the Y was there for me. My children, who had never been to daycare or camp, had the "best summer of their lives". We had the benefit of enjoying swimming last winter on weekends - all while the kids got adjusted to our new lifestyle and me working.

Fast forward, a year later...we are on our feet and doing fine. I am able to pay for the Y membership without any help at all. When I look back, I'm not sure I would have made it without that light the Y gave to us. They will certainly be at the top of my list when it comes to donations.

gatorkids said: bbr said: billjriv said:
Due to a catastrophic illness, I was left alone to raise 4 children. This past year was a living hell. There was no help from anyone. All I wanted was a chance to get on my feet and take a breath of air with the kids. Finally, the Y was there for me. My children, who had never been to daycare or camp, had the "best summer of their lives". We had the benefit of enjoying swimming last winter on weekends - all while the kids got adjusted to our new lifestyle and me working.

Fast forward, a year later...we are on our feet and doing fine. I am able to pay for the Y membership without any help at all. When I look back, I'm not sure I would have made it without that light the Y gave to us. They will certainly be at the top of my list when it comes to donations.

Wow....no post on FW has brought a tear to my eye..this is the first. Y is gonna get a great donation from me (and from the looks of it- the rest of the FW community).

In my area, the Y is more expensive than other gyms for a regular membership. What proof do they require for income?

The YMCA deal is awesome for students as we have little income and eat too much instant ramen for our own good. Last year I lived across the street from the Y and it was worth every penny of the $7/mo.

Jobowoo said: The YMCA deal is awesome for students as we have little income and eat too much instant ramen for our own good. Last year I lived across the street from the Y and it was worth every penny of the $7/mo.

yes.

$90 a mo ........way to expensive if you don't qualify for grants......

Socialized exercises. Booooooo!

Ahem.

Didn't subsidize for me as a student with zero income. But our YMCA in San Diego is only $35 a month with TV's at every machine cardio machine.

gatorkids said: bbr said: billjriv said: You can give specifically to certain programs you might consider the kids that need money to go to summer camp and I think they get back packs and stuff with some of the money.The Y has some great camping facilities for kids.

First, green for OP! Thank you for posting this. The following is for all those who may question donating....or wondering if their money was well spent. YES it is!

wow, that is intense man... looks like you've had a good turn in luck, and i hope it only gets better from here on out :] i'm rooting for you.

You are on Social Security Disability and praising the "elliptical trainers and weights"?

danteshors said: You are on Social Security Disability and praising the "elliptical trainers and weights"?

My brain didn't used to get on my elliptical machine with me.Thank God my mental illness is over and I'm off medication and preparing for school.

Income tax

Aren't Y's places where gays cruise? I've never stepped foot in one, but the thought of being hit on constantly makes me stay away. If that has changed, I might be interested.

Wow. Did one bad song from the 70's give you that impression? The thing I like about the Y in suburban Chicago is that nobody is there to impress each other. Just a bunch of folks, in all physical conditions, to want to improve their health.

danteshors said: You are on Social Security Disability and praising the "elliptical trainers and weights"?

some people's disabilities are not visible, please keep that in mind. Many disabilites are aided by exercise....arthritis, mental illness, any pain disorder. I kept my y membership at $63 a year for 2 years of not using it, I enjoyed running and biking OUTSIDE. they have been too painful, but the doctors want me to exercise. I went back to the ymca to swim. I'm glad that fees helped someone else, if I didn't have a spouse paying for my medications, doctor bills, etc., I'd be in their shoes.

billjriv- good luck to you. I'm trying to avoid pain meds and depression with light exercise.

I wonder if I would qualify for this as a college student...

billjriv said: If you make under $22,000 a year for single person or $35,000-$45,000 for family (could be more or less depending on area) you qualify for a scholarship to help pay for your membership.It's on a sliding scale and trust me it will be cheaper than most any other gym and you won't have the headaches of contracts.I am on S.S.I. and make under 7k a year,my membership is $7 a month.Hot tub,steam bath,swimming pool,elliptical trainers,weights and free programs.It's the best $7 I ever spent.Call your YMCA for details and a scholarship form.

My local YMCA is charging $37 a month for a single membership and $60 for family. A little bit high but still a great deal to work off your stress, get healthy, and be around people who are doing the same. I am always glad to see people, especially kids at the Y having fun and enjoying themselves courtesy of this program. In the morning it is filled with retirees. Several of them actually open the place up to swim at 6 am. At 3 pm the after-school crowd shows up. Then the after-work crowd at 5 pm. On weekends you see many families enjoying themselves there. They have sleepover programs for the scouts and on days like the Halloween. Swim and day camp programs during the summer.

The other "upscale" gyms in town, owned and operated by the hospitals, charge $90 a month for a single membership and up. The Y is definitely more family oriented and relaxing. No one care if you show up in T-shirt and shorts at the Y, not so at the other places in town if you don't wear the right workout outfit.

DyslexicHobo said: I wonder if I would qualify for this as a college student...

But then many colleges have really nice gyms and students get a great discount too?

I used to go to the Y. Very affordable ($20 month) for me because they offered an off peak membership time to work out that was more than 1/2 price for regular memberships.

There was however an instance where an old flame got KTFO by some young dude in the locker area for coming on to him..

epdpatrolman said: Aren't Y's places where gays cruise? I've never stepped foot in one, but the thought of being hit on constantly makes me stay away. If that has changed, I might be interested.

Pardon me for asking. Is that a real concern or an excuse? A colleague said the hot tub at my Y was too dirty and the people there don't look that "good". Well, four years later and she has not joined the other places in town yet. I think regardless of which one you choose in town, there will always be those that sign up to look for a BF or GF or go there to socialize. My entertainment there is to watch a group of hardcore weight lifters making noise to attract attention and admire themselves in the mirror. It makes my workout more fun as they prance around all over the gym floor. Lastly, are you also fearful in going to rest stops on the highway then?

Some Y's are better than others. The Y in downtown Atlanta by Grady Hospital I would never go to as it appears homeless people are selling drugs out front and is totally run down. There is another my friend goes to in Canton that is really nice. One of the best facilities I have seen, better than the local GOLDS.

/rant on
Sorry for the comment about being disabled and lifting weights. I just feel that if you can lift weights and browse Fatwallet you are not that disabled. If you need excercise to help your depression become a logger and cut trees down or work construction. We all fight battles in life!!!!! We Americans have had it too soft for too long. You want to be depressed? Go to some of the areas in Africa torn by Civil War and hundreds of dead hacked up in the ditches rotting as there is no one to bury all the dead. Guaranteed to change your mind and count your blessings!!!!
\rant off

Would I still qualify if I don't have any money left after spending it on FW deals? =(

The Y around here are filled with kids from the hood. There parents tell them to go there after school so they dont have to pay for a baby sitter. They break in to lockers and steal stuff and their parents only pay $7 per month.

trifate said: The Y around here are filled with kids from the hood. There parents tell them to go there after school so they dont have to pay for a baby sitter. They break in to lockers and steal stuff and their parents only pay $7 per month.

Wow !
Your avatar is well suited to your attitude !

would think most everyone will very soon qualify.... except the companies who will
still be getting the non stop
free cash handouts..

The Y has been amazing for my family. My wife had an amniotic fluid embolism while delivering our second son last year. After an emergency C section (in front of me) and 45 minutes of CPR they brought her back to life. She was in a coma for a week and spent three weeks in the hospital. She lost a year of memories when it was all said and done. Needless to say she could no longer work. That's where the Y stepped in. My oldest son was in the preschool program but we could no longer afford it on my income alone. We applied for the grant and didn't have to pay a dime for the rest of the year. It really made a difference for us. Now that things are back to normal we plan on donating to the Y as soon as we can.

trifate said: The Y around here are filled with kids from the hood. There parents tell them to go there after school so they dont have to pay for a baby sitter. They break in to lockers and steal stuff and their parents only pay $7 per month.

For the Y summer camp, the Y also accepts teen volunteers. My teen daughter volunteered from 8-5 (5 days a week) for a month. It was a great experience for her and was just honored with receiving the President's Volunteer Service Award.

There are ways to keep teens busy and involved, even if you are working with limited income.

And to Weisblatt, I am glad that the Y was able to help your family as well and that your wife has recovered. It's amazing how life can change in an instant.

gatorkids said: It's amazing how life can change in an instant.

You got that right...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Gatorkids. Good luck with everything in the future. It sounds like you have a great family!

oops

xenocarcinus said: trifate said: The Y around here are filled with kids from the hood. There parents tell them to go there after school so they dont have to pay for a baby sitter. They break in to lockers and steal stuff and their parents only pay $7 per month.

Wow !
Your avatar is well suited to your attitude !

He's way off.There's mostly old people that go to YMCA some kids usually towards night and even then it's mostly middle aged people.Out of 10 years I've never had a problem at all.

hkgfnt said: DyslexicHobo said: I wonder if I would qualify for this as a college student...

But then many colleges have really nice gyms and students get a great discount too?
Alot of colleges have free gyms too.

Skipping 21 Messages...
dining at the Y?

whats up with the income discrimination? it is as bad as racism. equal rights for people who work harder to make more money!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014