• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
pitflyer said: I am surprised this wasnt posted before either as its been out for a while.

I went there last week and had this deal. Food was very sub-par but for the price it was OK and service was good at my local Applebee's. Its not clear to me if this special was available to go.

Was it regular menu items to pick or from a special menu?

yesidonoitall said: It has not been confirmed that the offer is for regular menu items,at a reduced price, it may be a
SPECIAL SELECT item menu to choose from.
MANY place do that, so as to not cheapen or discount regular menu items.
I know of what I speak.

THIS may or may not be a HOT DEAL.
The link to the offer on their website was posted. When you go to that link (which clearly you have not done), it shows you the choices for appetizer and entrees. As I already said, the choices are all items from the normal menu, with the exception of the steak. The Applebee's employee said "You get 2 full sized entrees". What more do you need to be told?

Anyone know if this is valid for the Applebees location in NY Time Square?

billrubin said: yesidonoitall said: It has not been confirmed that the offer is for regular menu items,at a reduced price, it may be a
SPECIAL SELECT item menu to choose from.
MANY place do that, so as to not cheapen or discount regular menu items.
I know of what I speak.

THIS may or may not be a HOT DEAL.
The link to the offer on their website was posted. When you go to that link (which clearly you have not done), it shows you the choices for appetizer and entrees. As I already said, the choices are all items from the normal menu, with the exception of the steak. The Applebee's employee said "You get 2 full sized entrees". What more do you need to be told?

What more do you need to be told?

Do I need to tip, since they use the offer to get me in, maybe it is waived.....
I will order a pitcher of water so there is certainly no need for the help to return to my table.

Yes this deal is true in my area, and since this is a chain, likely to be valid nationwide. But Outback is running a promotion for 10 dollar steak, comes with 2 sides- from soups, salads, and potatoes. Not to mention unlimited breads, which Applebee does not have. Yes you might get more food for the same price at appplebees, but Outback is sooo much better that it's generally worth it.

yesidonoitall said: Just order a pitcher of water and their is no requirement you tip.

Do not go out to eat if you can not afford to tip a decent waiter/waitress!
They often work hard to satisfy customers................

jutinus said: yesidonoitall said: Just order a pitcher of water and their is no requirement you tip.

Do not go out to eat if you can not afford to tip a decent waiter/waitress!

RE:

Is that not their job???

manoverboard said: In my family it's me [old], wife [young]...So, you admit to being a cradle robber

Don't feed the troll, nothing to see here, move along.

I miss the "All you can eat Riblets".
I think they had them for about $9.99. They served them in a big wire basket with paper covering the bottom. You also got fries and a little tiny cup of coleslaw.

I love Riblets!!

wrx2004 said: isles1 said: ... I think Applebee's is the worst (food quality) out of all the casual family places...
... I just had three course dinner for two at a sushi/thai place last night...

How can we trust you as a food critic?

However, I fully agree that the drinks and dessert orders will make these dinner "deals" cool.
You do not have to trust me or anyone else. I was illustrating a point. Unless you love Applebee's, you can get a better meal elsewhere at a similar cost (assuming you order drinks, etc.) with other standing discounts out there.

Like I said, if you like Applebee's, this is a good deal.

isles1 said: wrx2004 said: isles1 said: ... I think Applebee's is the worst (food quality) out of all the casual family places...
... I just had three course dinner for two at a sushi/thai place last night...

How can we trust you as a food critic?

However, I fully agree that the drinks and dessert orders will make these dinner "deals" cool.
You do not have to trust me or anyone else. I was illustrating a point. Unless you love Applebee's, you can get a better meal elsewhere at a similar cost (assuming you order drinks, etc.) with other standing discounts out there.

Like I said, if you like Applebee's, this is a good deal.

Applebees food does not qualify as something you would critique. It ranks w/ fast food and I've eaten fast food that tasted better.

Don't expect much for $10 per person. I've paid almost the same price at a burger joint around here called 5 Guys.

There's no requirement to tip, but you really don't want to stiff the waiter or waitress...they just work there. You tip because that person provided good service regardless of the taste of the food.

I'd much rather do Logan's 2 for $12.99, although its only Monday - Wednesday.

yesidonoitall said: heyeaglefn said: I would just snag curbside to go if you can with this deal to avoid other costs...

There is no other costs.
Just order a pitcher of water and their is no requirement you tip.

Servers make like $2hour and they pay taxes on 15% of their receipts. Always tip 20% when you are getting a deal, like when using restaurant.com certificates. you want the server on your side. Asses like you kill deals for everyone else!

bigdinkel said: aares said: isles1 said: From one FWer to another, I think Applebee's is the worst (food quality) out of all the casual family places. But $20 for 2 entrees and an appy is a good deal.

With that said, just remember that whether you grab this deal or the Friday's BOGO offer in another thread, these places charge $3 for a soda and $6 for a beer. It's a good deal until you forget about how much the "extras" cost. Before you know it, that $20 dinner for two just cost $35-40 with tip. I just had three course dinner for two at a sushi/thai place last night (with a restaurant_dot_com coupon) for about the same price with tax and tip.

Not a TC, just a friendly reminder.

WOW...I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who hated their food.

Their steaks are terrible

And they are most rascist restaurant I have visited, not just one branch, but atleast 3 of them across the country.

bigdinkel said: aares said: isles1 said: From one FWer to another, I think Applebee's is the worst (food quality) out of all the casual family places. But $20 for 2 entrees and an appy is a good deal.

With that said, just remember that whether you grab this deal or the Friday's BOGO offer in another thread, these places charge $3 for a soda and $6 for a beer. It's a good deal until you forget about how much the "extras" cost. Before you know it, that $20 dinner for two just cost $35-40 with tip. I just had three course dinner for two at a sushi/thai place last night (with a restaurant_dot_com coupon) for about the same price with tax and tip.

Not a TC, just a friendly reminder.

WOW...I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who hated their food.

Their steaks are terrible

Sometimes, but was just fine yesterday at lunch.

BMRisko said: I'd much rather do Logan's 2 for $12.99, although its only Monday - Wednesday.

a co-worker of mine told me earlier today they doing all you can eat catfish and couple other things for $9.99 instead of the 2 for $12.99 now. monday-friday i think?? he's down there in Chatt-town too. dunno if hixson is the same or not.

Seven9 said: There's no requirement to tip, but you really don't want to stiff the waiter or waitress...they just work there. You tip because that person provided good service regardless of the taste of the food.

Why do we have to tip someone who brings our food? We dont tip people at the bank for giving us our money or our mechanic for fixing our car or our food cashier for putting our groceries in bags how is this different?

brown1978 said: Seven9 said: There's no requirement to tip, but you really don't want to stiff the waiter or waitress...they just work there. You tip because that person provided good service regardless of the taste of the food.

Why do we have to tip someone who brings our food? We dont tip people at the bank for giving us our money or our mechanic for fixing our car or our food cashier for putting our groceries in bags how is this different?

here's an idea: don't go out to eat. stay at home and cook your own dinner. this way you can do everything yourself and not worry about tipping anyone. seriously, why even post this crap?

freebeertomorrow said: yesidonoitall said: heyeaglefn said: I would just snag curbside to go if you can with this deal to avoid other costs...

There is no other costs.
Just order a pitcher of water and their is no requirement you tip.

Servers make like $2hour and they pay taxes on 15% of their receipts. Always tip 20% when you are getting a deal, like when using restaurant.com certificates. you want the server on your side. Asses like you kill deals for everyone else!

why would someone always tip 20%? if the service is excellent then maybe it's justified. if it's average, 15. if it's horrible, nothing. maybe that's just me??

RE:
Servers make like $2hour

In Oregon they are paid the min wage (unlike some states)
However in talking about Apllebees at the donut shop, the local AB's has snooty type workers.
$1.00 per person at the table is enough tip.
4 or more, then capped at $4.00
Each server has 5 or so tables, that is plenty of money hourly for what they do, actually too much.

GrnTurtle said: Link to Applebees' site

Get two entrees and one appetizer for $20. Several choices of entrees include 7 oz steak, riblet basket, double crunch shrimp... See their site for complete list. I assume appetizers are full size that you share (can anyone confirm?). Not sure how this compares to their $10 3-course deal last summer, but it's still a pretty good deal for dinner-for-2.

Thanks op, i do frequent the Bensalem Applebees. thanks

Well, if no one likes Applebees than I doubt you will think Friendly's is any better. If you have one in your area, they are currently offering a drink, entree, and dessert for $9.99. This is essentially the same as 2 for $20, but with the extras included! Menu

Of course the entrees you can choose from are very limited and the dessert is only a 2 scoop, one topping sundae, but if you're on a budget and have children, it's not a bad place to go!

It should be renamed crapplebees.

hendo9127 said: It should be renamed crapplebees.Wow, your first post. How profound.

You guys are dopes.

Going to applebees for 2 for 1's on drinks and appetizers is probably the best restaurant deal there is. Nowhere else can I get 2 bigass drinks and 2 appetizers for 12 bucks.

manoverboard said: And don't forget that if you are over 55 you can get the Applebee's Golden Apple card giving you 10% off the cost of the entire bill.
It's supposed to be for only the oldsters in the crowd, but I've never seen them just give the 10% on the one old person.
In my family it's me [old], wife [young], and kids [young]. So on a 60$ check it amounts to 6$ off the entire bill. Given that they order apps, drinks, and dessert [that was THEY, not me], it can be a significant savings.

I am not 55 yet but my mother certainly is. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. She likes to eat out so this will come in handy.

Probably one of the grossiest restaurants out there. My husband and I went there for a quick bite. Not only was everyone in there under the age of 20 but the food quality was awful. There is nothing I have to say that was positive about our dining experience. My shrimp weren't cooked, the service was terrible, none of our meals came out correctly, and no refills on water. A diner would have been a much better choice. Overall, this dinner was a huge waste of $50. Its not a surprise to me that they are offering 2 for $20, any gimmick to try and attract people in. NEVER AGAIN!!

Our family went there tonight and my daughter and myself got the 2 for $20 deal. I got the steak and she got the fried shrimp. My steak was OK, the baked potato was kind of small and I got like two spoon fulls of mixed vegetables. My daughter's shrimp came with a good portion of shrimp and french fries with a thimble sized bowl of coleslaw. We got the boneless wings for the appetizer. I guess it was worth $20.00, but not anymore. The service was fine, but that probably depends on where you go and when.

cree527 said: Not only was everyone in there under the age of 20 but the food quality was awful.
How is the fact that a restaurant attracts a young crowd their fault?
Overall, this dinner was a huge waste of $50.
You went in for the $20 for 2 special and ended up spending $50? You must be kidding, right?

The three cheese chicken penne is one of the options for the 2 for $20, and it's $10.99 usually. Two of those, plus an appetizer (mozzarella sticks, for example, at $6.99) is $28.97... $20 is a pretty good deal. I've gotten the 2 for $20 a few times in the past several weeks for lunch and it's a good option. Only downside is that they won't do odd multiples (i.e. 3 for $30)

aares said: WOW...I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who hated their food.I wouldn't say I hate it, but I would certainly rank it very low for value given the price paid.

Plus it seems every one of the (few) times we've been there we end up with some problem or horror story - e.g. we request a side order change, they accept it, the food arrives sans side order and we never see our server again, or the other time that a server dropped one of their mugs nearby and broken glass flew into my food. Usually they do something for us as a result, like free dessert (or for the glass incident, they comped us our meal), but we rarely go now anyway.

\microwiz said: aares said: WOW...I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who hated their food.I wouldn't say I hate it, but I would certainly rank it very low for value given the price paid.

Plus it seems every one of the (few) times we've been there we end up with some problem or horror story - e.g. we request a side order change, they accept it, the food arrives sans side order and we never see our server again, or the other time that a server dropped one of their mugs nearby and broken glass flew into my food. Usually they do something for us as a result, like free dessert (or for the glass incident, they comped us our meal), but we rarely go now anyway.

RE:
and broken glass flew into my food. Usually they do something for us as a result, like free dessert (or for the glass incident, they comped us our meal), but we rarely go now anyway.

They better give it for free if they won't replace it.

billrubin said: cree527 said: Not only was everyone in there under the age of 20 but the food quality was awful.
How is the fact that a restaurant attracts a young crowd their fault?
Overall, this dinner was a huge waste of $50.
You went in for the $20 for 2 special and ended up spending $50? You must be kidding, right?

They ordered 2 desserts.

Tried this last night. The steak is their 7 oz steak and I don't really want to eat a steak at Applebees. Instead, we both ordered the lime chicken entrees plus the spinach dip. The spinach dip appetizer was really big and the chicken was surprisingly delicious. On the regular menu, the chicken entrees were $10.99 each and the spinach dip was $6 (if I remember correctly). That's about $28 worth of food for $20. They did have the $5 gift card deal advertised on the table and I'd do that next time.

Applebees isn't my favorite, but the lime chicken was really good - tender, moist and flavorful. I probably will go back for this deal again...

yesidonoitall said: RE:
and broken glass flew into my food. Usually they do something for us as a result, like free dessert (or for the glass incident, they comped us our meal), but we rarely go now anyway.

They better give it for free if they won't replace it.
Seriously. It was even worse than I described - we saw the glass smash nearby and the fragments fly, but thought nothing more of it - it was only across from our table, not in front of it or anything. Then my first bite after that (I had eaten a bunch of my entree already) gave that horrible, horrible crunch sound and sensation in my mouth... *shudder*

We called for the manager, and I think the green look on my face gave him the idea that just replacing the entree wouldn't be enough. He comped us the whole meal. In the FW spirit, I might have considered staying for dessert but I was kind of off my feed at that point, so we just got out of there.

Note, I don't want to suggest that every time we went to Applebee's something this bad happened - usually it was much lesser stuff like an issue with service. This one just happens to stick out in my mind for obvious reasons

At the local Applebees kids eat for $0.99 on Wednesdays. We combined the two deals and fed a family of four for $22 (plus drinks for the adults and desert, and tip).

bippie said: Applebees isn't my favorite, but the lime chicken was really good - tender, moist and flavorful. I probably will go back for this deal again...I've had the lime chicken and I agree it's surprisingly good (and a large portion, as I recall). I really like their wings (which sadly are not part of this deal, just the "boneless wings", another name for chicken nuggets with sauce) and my wife likes their burgers. As I said previously, you just need to get stuff that they do well.

Just got back, misses had the steak and I had riblets. Riblets is more of a lunch size, and steak was with 2 sides, plus the appetizer to share. I should have gotten the steak as the portion size is not even comparable to riblets and the steak (medium) was quite good, as I had a taste, and Im still talking about it. I dont trust steaks anywhere other then my grill, but after eating riblets the choice was quite clear. Careful for 1/4" size little very thin bones in riblets. I cant believe a place sells that with the choking hazard.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014