• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My cable bill has recently raised my eyebrows since most of the promotions had expired (paying just over $150/month). So, I called Cox and explained that I was enticed by the recent DirecTV promotion (free HD DVR receiver/3 movie channels for 3 months/free HD service for 3 months) and wondered if they could offer any promotions to help lower my bill. I was instantly offered free HBO for 6 months and 1 year HD DVR service (a savings of approximately $25/month).

You can get an additional $4/month off if you sign up for a 1-year commitment (I did not).

Happy Holidays.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

where do u live and this really sounds like ymmv

Woah, thanks for the info! I'll try it!

could you please provide some info on your location, thanks

A huge number of people are cutting back or eliminating discretionary expenses, like cable television. I'm not surprised that you're finding new flexibility. It's going to get worse for companies like Cox before it gets better.

About three weeks ago, I got an offer from Cox to add any premium movie channel for free (or something very tiny like $1) for 12 months, but the catch was I had to maintain my present level of service (about $93 a month) for those 12 months. If I reduced my service in any amount, I would have to pay a one time payment of over $145. (that's not the exact penalty, but it was between $145 and $176) I shouldn't say Penalty, because it is equal to the full retail cost of the premium movie channel.

Of course, I was the one who had to ask what was the catch. I suppose Cox would have told me eventually. This is the first time I have heard of that type of "promotion".

bamadad said: About three weeks ago, I got an offer from Cox to add any premium movie channel for free (or something very tiny like $1) for 12 months, but the catch was I had to maintain my present level of service (about $93 a month) for those 12 months. If I reduced my service in any amount, I would have to pay a one time payment of over $145. (that's not the exact penalty, but it was between $145 and $176)

Of course, I was the one who had to ask what was the catch. This is the first time I have heard of that type of "promotion".


Wow, that's shady. I'm always dissappointed with cox's "service". Although, I only have the most basic cable ($20 for locals plus TBS), i got a call from them a week ago to get the digital box & channels (100-300) plus free hbo and cinimax plus getting on demand for those channels w/ the cable box for an extra $4.99 (or maybe $5.99) a month. I also didn't have internet, so i got that for $9.99 a month. these prices are good for 6 months and they said there were no other catches. best deal i have yet to see from them, so i guess they are starting to get desperate. it would be tempting to get the DVR though...thanks for the heads up.

abracadabra1 said: My cable bill has recently raised my eyebrows since most of the promotions had expired (paying just over $150/month). So, I called Cox and explained that I was enticed by the recent DirecTV promotion (free HD DVR receiver/3 movie channels for 3 months/free HD service for 3 months) and wondered if they could offer any promotions to help lower my bill. I was instantly offered free HBO for 6 months and 1 year HD DVR service (a savings of approximately $25/month).

You can get an additional $4/month off if you sign up for a 1-year commitment (I did not).

Happy Holidays.


I called Cox Cable in San Diego and they offered absolutely nothing. I told them about the DirectTV promotion and all they said was you don't get local channels with DirectTV. I can't wait until AT&T comes to my neighborhood. I hate Cox Cable.

javafixed said:
I called Cox Cable in San Diego and they offered absolutely nothing. I told them about the DirectTV promotion and all they said was you don't get local channels with DirectTV. I can't wait until AT&T comes to my neighborhood. I hate Cox Cable.


Look into uverse in San Diego. I like it better than Cox. Free first month, I received a $240 in CashBack checks. Also 18MB speed internet for $53 a month for the next year after the promotions they are offering right now. Or you can go with 6MB for $35.

javafixed said:

I called Cox Cable in San Diego and they offered absolutely nothing. I told them about the DirectTV promotion and all they said was you don't get local channels with DirectTV. I can't wait until AT&T comes to my neighborhood. I hate Cox Cable.



Consider yourself lucky you aren't in an area that got dumped by Cox and picked up by Suddenlink. They are the worst cable company anywhere.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014