• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Download a Legal Copy of Windows 7 beta ( 32 bit or 64 bit ) on January 9th

Link

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Windows 7 Beta will be available for all to download via the Windows 7 page on January 9th PST for a limited time to the first 2.5 million people who download the beta. Also, another important thing to keep in mind is that the Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1st, 2009. Windows 7 has got very good reviews so far.

The Windows 7 Beta will be available in English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi, and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions (except Hindi which will only be available in 32-bit).

If you don’t want to mess-up your existing operating system, try running it on a free Virtual Machine without messing up existing operating system. VirtualBox is an open source general-purpose full virtualizer software ( create virtual machines ) for x86 hardware. This is a free product from Sun and is more powerful them commercial software’s like VMware, Virtual PC, Parallels. This runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X Macs.

* Download and Install VirtualBox from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and create a Virtual Machine ( Vista ) and mount the downloaded Windows 7 beta ISO and rock on.
* Once the OS is up and running, install VirtualBox Guest Additions to get proper graphics and mouse integration. VirtualBox does not support Windows 7 drivers, so You must install Guest Additions in compatibility mode. ( Open CD Drive and select properties for VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86 and in Compatibility tab ’select “Run this program in compatibility mode for in Windows Vista”.

Good idea to run Windows 7 as a virtual machine, SleekWallet. Good chance to see how it feels without requiring a format/reinstall after it expires.

does the computing world now need to buy another $100 billion in hardware --- or are we all ready to go?

germanpope said: does the computing world now need to buy another $100 billion in hardware --- or are we all ready to go?

Supposedly, it uses significantly fewer resources than Vista, so it doesn't require as powerful machines to function decently. My friend has been using the leaked beta for a few days now and it does seem to respond pretty well, in line with benchmarks posted so far. So hardware-wise, is shouldn't be bad.

germanpope said: does the computing world now need to buy another $100 billion in hardware --- or are we all ready to go?

ready to go
if it works with vista, it will work with win 7

to all you haters: Join MSFT or die

From "http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-on-a-Diet-to-Match-the-Hardware-Requirements-of-the-Vista-Hog-86950.shtml"

"This means that Windows 7, planned for the end of 2009 according to Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer, will be designed to run on hardware from 2007. This means that a computer with a 1-GHz 32-, or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB of system memory, at least a DirectX 10 graphics card, if not even DirectX 9, with over 128MB of graphics memory, and a 40 GB hard drive will be more than enough to power Windows 7."

Lets say $30 billion(Adjusted for the crappy economy) in hardware seeing how a lot people are still running XP. =D

Microsoft is so incredibly incompetent, it just boggles the (rational) mind.

Vista was the software equivalent of the Edsel.

I happen to like Vista, and on the right machine it runs perfectly fine for me.

As of yesterday, it was available for download for technet subscribers as well. Just an FYI

I like Vista too. I run it on all three of my computers, including my $400 laptop from 2006 and haven't had any issues with it. I never really understood all the crap it got. That said, it kind of pisses me off that MS is already releasing the next OS; while that's fine in itself, it probably means that they're going to cut back on support/developement for Vista. After all the promises they made about continual updates/benefits for Vista Ultimate, all we got were a few crappy games. I'm generally a fan of MS but this is disappointing.

That's a smart response from Microsoft to the leaked beta copy from a week or two ago. Might as well put it out there officially.

Uh oh...the Microsoft Nazis are patrolling this thread, handing out demerits...be careful.

VirtualBox doesn't support DirectX yet, and in order to experience nice GUI from Windows 7, DirectX is a must. So I'm not sure if VirtualBox is a good choice for Windows 7. So far as I know, VMware workstation 6.5 support DirectX 9.0c in Windows XP, not sure if it support DirectX in Vista, so not sure if it will support DirectX in Windows 7 neither.
VirtualBox does support OpenGL however.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014