Consumer pain points?

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Apologies once again for sticking a topic that isn't a smokin' hot deal.
Since it's all about you and meeting your needs, I'm breaking the law breaking the law...

FatWallet exists to serve consumers.

So how can we better serve consumers?
What are your frustrations and pain-points as a consumer?
What are your un-met consumer needs?
We want to know, so we can create a solution for you.

Free your mind… think way outside the box...

Added 2/05/09
“Problem" summary
General
1. Limited Time
2. Limited $
3. Inconvenience
4. Confusion
5. Frustration
6. Fear & Uncertainty
7. Lost value

Shopping-Specific
1. Search doesn’t work. Can’t find what I want. Takes too long to find what I want. Don’t know if site has what I want, or how to navigate. Can’t find help.
2. Too many steps to determine (and transact) the ultimate deal.
3. Need to go other places to find, confirm, or complete best deals.
4. Can’t search multiple stores for reliable product, availability, and price info.
5. Going to any site for price info or C.B. is not always convenient.
6. Can’t get “ultimate deal” (C.B.) at places like Amazon.
7. C.B. process: uncertainty, and lag time between transaction and reward.
8. Forgotten rebates.
9. Scams, fees, and security concerns.
10. Forums aren’t for everyone. Finding data requires uncomfortable engagement.
11. Can’t see product images.
12. Shipping cost and time (esp. to Hawaii and Alaska).
13. Unknown order status.
14. Unknown product availability.
15. Not understanding or listening to what I want.

FatWallet-Specific
1. Too complicated & hard to learn.
2. Forums tone.
3. Search.
4. Getting C.B. from forums is time-consuming and frustrating.
5. C.B. process requires too many steps and takes too long.
6. C.B. links are unreliable.

Solutions (before we even asked)
1. Add suggested search terms with number of results.
2. More detailed search, with narrowing options.
3. Clear “Relevance” option on search results page… default ‘entire site’ by relevance?
4. Repost/similar topic checker.
5. Easy/intuitive “keep in mind for later” function (favorites you can find).
6. ‘Thank you’ button.
7. Standard format for topic titles.
8. Offer points/rewards to valuable posters.
9. Better CB rates (bottom line $).
10. Add a rep system.
11. Extend ‘most recent topics posted in’ on Today page (first/next/previous 20).
12. Make people give reason for red.
13. Limit voting/rating to topics (not replies).
14. Allow turning the ratings (results?) on or off.
15. Darker site look (as an option).
16. Direct # to US-support Dell (and all merchants).
17. Alphabetize list(s) of forums.
18. Hover to show store’s current C.B. rate.
19. Display ‘Consumer Alerts’ prominently.
20. Encourage newbies.
21. Be less invasive (move threads less, etc).
22. Improve interface so people know how to use the features we have.
23. Add retailer ratings (from us or somewhere) into quick summary.
24. Force geographical info into posts limited by such.
25. Referral incentives.
26. Hover on titles in topic list to see more of post.
27. My FatWallet (customizable) page.
28. Expand RSS offerings… including RSS of search results (categories?).
29. Expanded retailer ratings… or “disappointment factor” for reneging.
30. Free shipping.
31. Shipping to Hawaii and Alaska.
32. Clarify value presentation (homepage, header, ?).
33. Posters to share earnings.
34. Quicker scan of deals (to see best ones easiest).
35. Limit to OP, QS, and FlashChat.
36. …then auto-lock threads with no OP participation after 5 days
37. FW branded store.
38. Move dead deals out (quicker/more reliably).
39. Mods getting pied.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have been a member for a long time now... and I find it impossible to find anything really useful or relevant in the h... (more)

angelaira (Jan. 24, 2009 @ 2:17p) |

Here's a summary after consulting members, staff and current research. We will be considering these and brainstorming p... (more)

footn200 (Feb. 05, 2009 @ 1:49p) |

1) If csahback links are added automatically, then the OP ought to get a payout... I realise that CashBack can't link to... (more)

albrandwood (Feb. 05, 2009 @ 2:51p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Create a Fatwallet Credit Card that gives FatCash back and give me a fatwallet tshirt for such a great idea (-=

Well, we're STILL waiting for a properly working Hot Deals search function....THAT would relieve a LOT of aggravation!

I guess thinking outside the box gets me red. Fine, fu fw.

I would like the "Hot Deals: Tech" more link and the "Hot Deals: Other" more link to each go to separate areas. It's nice to see the top 5 or so from each category but I sometimes want to see the top 10 Other deals but can't.

Can there be something intergrated in the software that will pick up common terms when creating a thread, to help eliminate reposts

Exp. I'm creating a thread I type

Nintendo Wii for $249 at Newegg, and someone posted it in the past 24 hours like

HOT! Newegg- Wii for $249
how about when they go to submit the thread a dialogue box would popup sayings
We found these terms already posted in the past 24 hours, do you still want to post this thread?

Matching Words: Newegg Wii $249

Did that make sense?

Make auto linking work for edited posts and the quick summary

A firefox plug-in that automatically fat-cashes links to merchants in the program.

Not sure if it's a feature that I can't see, but I'd love a user control panel that automatically bookmarks all the threads that I've posted in or subscribed to. While I think it's great there's an unread count on threads I've viewed, I have to go through page after page to review it, rather than having them all in one spot.

Also, how about when I search for a user's posts, display the actual messages instead of the threads? It would help identify spammers/trolls, and save me time without having to dig through the threads.

mmmmmmm,

Fix the limited toolbar thingy. and WHERE is the forum that was supposed to be linked to it?
better eBay CashBack
Amazon rewards (NOT CashBack since that is restricted) but you could offer fatwallet points for site internal goodies or perks.
Fatwallet branded store like google has.
more free shipping(no minimum purchase)
retailmenot type listing of coupon codes. I check retailmenot everytime I make a purchase, would much rather search fatwallet member posted coupon codes.
re-xtend "Most recent threads that you have posted in" on the today page. the mere 20 is too short.
and though not consumer issue I would like a video of mod firing line with mods getting pie'd.

Thanks footn200

when someone is going to post a deal, have one of the steps require submitting tags or subject heading by clicking a button to verify tags via the fatwallet search engine...your engine will list the most similar posts to the thread that is in preparation for submission...this would pretty much eliminate the excuse of "I did a search but couldn't find it"...If the results come back without any direct matches, the user can post...if not, the user can verify if their deal is similar to others...if it is unique, the user can post...if not and he/she posts anyways...the user gets a right flogging...

30% Cash Back at eBay...

rajucd said: when someone is going to post a deal, have one of the steps require submitting tags or subject heading by clicking a button to verify tags via the fatwallet search engine...your engine will list the most similar posts to the thread that is in preparation for submission...this would pretty much eliminate the excuse of "I did a search but couldn't find it"...If the results come back without any direct matches, the user can post...if not, the user can verify if their deal is similar to others...if it is unique, the user can post...if not and he/she posts anyways...the user gets a right flogging...

I have to do it (sorry)
Repost, 5 posts up

hookers and blow

How about a "quote" function in mobile FW.

The search engine is just barely better than useless.

Deals with alot of Green but are DEAD should be rated down somehow. It's annoying to see a good deal with lots of green, wade through the posts only to find it's not valid

How about removing those store links that don't pay any CashBack to us under the CashBack & Bonus section?
The lists of stores that don't give out CashBack is growing like weed.

ziffy said: How about removing those store links that don't pay any CashBack to us under the CashBack & Bonus section?
The lists of stores that don't give out CashBack is growing like weed.

But FW still gets paid on some I think.

How about a chat room or two?

So how can we better serve consumers?

You're doing pretty well IMO (especially since you're getting bigger and bigger)...I kinda wish you'd have a CashBack comparsion chart like comparerewards for shopping online, but I guess I understand why you probably won't have one. ^_^ (If you do ever do that in the future, I'd add a suggestion to please include credit cards beacause the chase shopping portal is decent when combined with the freedom card...and shopdiscover is decent too) I also wish the "for sale/trade forum" would return too...but that's just me.

I like the free shipping and good dollar amount coupons

What are your frustrations and pain-points as a consumer?

I want nice store managers, close to real time (or anykind of)inventory for B&Ms for Staples, WalMart, homedepot, and bestbuy. (I don't want to hunt so hard...) I might be misunderstanding what's a painpoint, but I'm interpreting it as what annoys me as a shopper. I don't like the restocking fees, and the really bad "free item with the astronomical purchase price" purchase coupons. (I mean, the freebie might be "worth" $30, but I'd rather have a decent dollar value coupon instead...otherwise, I'm actually considering looking closely at the Sam's Club office supplies...sure they don't have free shipping for delivery, but at least they clearly state that the shipping is included in the price already.)

What are your un-met consumer needs?

better CashBack at big stores, more CashBack on credit cards, and I really wish for Sam's Club to be a real CashBack merchant (no percentage for it yet =( ) Also, can someone convince costco to have an affiliate program, please? oh well.

jokingly, I'd like more fatwallet schwag or more opportunities to get the schwag. ^_^

Way outside the box

Not enough healthcare privacy.

Hardly any walk-in clinics will accept cash up front without also requiring all kinds of identifying information. I could lie (I have) but I shouldn't have to unless I am using insurance upfront like an HMO.

Almost no pharmacies will fill a script and take cash for something as innocuous as amoxicillin without all kinds of identifying information. I could lie (I have) but I shouldn't have to for anything but schedule II (maaaybe III) drugs and above.

I would pay money, maybe $10-$20 a year for a well maintained list of doctors and pharmacies that will accept cash without a hassle.

As for how is this related to fatwallet? Personal information is valuable, especially to the healthcare-industrial complex, I shouldn't have to pay extra in the form of this information for basic healthcare. I want a fatwallet and a healthywallet.

The mobile version needs a lot of work. The search function is about a useful as a coupon at Circuit City.

When creating a topic for a hot deal, I find it a habit that I've typed the name out, and then have to go back to link it, then putting in the name again. It would be nice to have an option to link to text already existent in the posting box... if that makes sense.

As far as meeting consumer needs, you guys are doing great. Would be nice to have an increase in CashBack with some of the larger stores though and even some new CashBack if possible for stores like Amazon would be amazing!

Remove the "dead deals" and put them some other place.
I do not like it when the deal has about 5 pages to it, and I read all the pages and come to page 5 and the deal is dead.

a stimulus CashBack check...

http://www.fatwallet.com/search/results.php?query=official+borders+coupon+thread&collection=default_collection&sort=date&tags=0

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=official+borders+coupon+thread&btnG=Search

Why isn't the FW search box already powered by Google? I've been using the site:fatwallet.com command on Google for quite some time now, after being burned by the official FW search and missing out on some good deals.

I'd love for you to automatically do the CashBack thing with links in the forums. When an OP links to say Dell, i'd like CashBack to automatically kick in, without having to visit the stores pages. The same thing when fatwallet automatically hyperlinks stores names like Circuit City, or Dell.

Let the poster of a deal share a little part of savings. The OPs do all the work to bring deals to FW and then other FWers save money on it. Fair enough. However, If you start sharing a part of this FWers saving with the person who posted the ad I am sure we will get even better deals. If I confused you here is a practical scenario:
A post for a laptop@450 is a good deal. Say the store gives 2% Cash Back through FW link. Now out of this 2% if you share 0.2% with the OP that will make FWers more happy. Even if that kills the idea of sharing let them be awarded with a Shiny Shwag.

psuJC said: I'd love for you to automatically do the CashBack thing with links in the forums. When an OP links to say Dell, i'd like CashBack to automatically kick in, without having to visit the stores pages. The same thing when fatwallet automatically hyperlinks stores names like Circuit City, or Dell.

IMHO, this would clutter your clicked links history as you were browsing and make it harder to follow up.

- Fry's CashBack
- CashBack links never work at my workplace and I have no way of fixing college IT guys' heads. Don't know - may be impossible for you to fix it at your end.
- May be start a buy/sell thing here and make the process less painful than over there at fleabay/pp.

FW creditunion?

nfg05 said: psuJC said: I'd love for you to automatically do the CashBack thing with links in the forums. When an OP links to say Dell, i'd like CashBack to automatically kick in, without having to visit the stores pages. The same thing when fatwallet automatically hyperlinks stores names like Circuit City, or Dell.

IMHO, this would clutter your clicked links history as you were browsing and make it harder to follow up.

I'd accept the clutter if it meant I could get CashBack on a deal that was limited, and time sensitive. I've also forgot to get the CashBack on too many deals simply because I clicked a link in an OP to check out a deal and simply forgot to go back to FW for the CashBack.

Just to clarify:
See this automatically linked keyword?---> Newegg <--- When I click that it should take me to Newegg AND activate CashBack.
And this manually added link--->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120143<-- should take to the product page AND activate CashBack.

Think outside the box eh....

How about... the killer app of deal sites...

A personal rebate tracker!

It would be a basic spreadsheet-like ajax app that would let us track our rebates. Click a button on a deal, and a record would get created in the tracker with dollar amount, due date, pdf download link, etc. You could PM a user when they have a rebate due for postmarking tomorrow, which would be handy. Since it could be tied to a deal thread, it could show how many other people have gotten their rebates already. Maybe it would link to a rebate tracking thread so we can discuss problems getting the rebate.

It would also help you find users who made a CashBack purchase but forgot to apply for CashBack!

You have "Add To Favorites" but no tab/link to access your "Favorites." Can do? Or is it somewhere I don't see...?

- I've chatted footn200 up about this before, but I'd definitely suggest streamlining the CashBack process as much as possible. It took me a long time to convince my tech-savvy wife that using FW CashBack was easy enough, once you know the rules.

- As for the Forums, how about custom "views" that I can save and use over-and-over again? So, let's say I don't care too much about restaurant deals or baby deals. Why not let me create custom filters so that when I visit the Hot Deals forum I only see threads in the topics I like. I know that now I can use the links to look at certain single categories at a time, but I'd like to use that to just exclude categories, not include them

- Integrate the PriceGrabber price comparison as an automatic second post on all Hot Deals. So, if somebody posts that BB has a GPS unit for $350, FW can automatically link to prices from other merchants for the same unit. That way we can more easily compare the suggested deal with other merchants. Would be especially interesting if that information became an intermediate screen that anyone who tried to post a Hot Deal had to approve. "FatWallet found the following prices for similar items, are you sure this is a Hot Deal?"

In short, give me more information and let me use and filter that information in as many ways as possible.

-

Squonk said: You have "Add To Favorites" but no tab/link to access your "Favorites." Can do? Or is it somewhere I don't see...?You can see a list of your favs by clicking "Today".

peas said: The search engine is just barely better than useless.

Deals with alot of Green but are DEAD should be rated down somehow. It's annoying to see a good deal with lots of green, wade through the posts only to find it's not valid

I think if people used the flag as dead deal option it would help as it then marks the deal as dead and you can see that right next to the titles in the forum.

It would be nice I think if there was a froogle/pricegrabber type option or auto link in the summary for items. Just something to quickly be able to see overall comparative prices without having to leave the FW site.

1. secure CashBack link working well. we know it's NOT your problem. But you are only party can fight for FWers against merchandisers. Most FWers know Staples CashBack link working well. But OD CashBack link doesn't. That's one of reasons FWers love Staples much more than other vendors.
2. I may be wrong. Apply certain restrictions on "Red flag". I didn't say No Red Flags. Apparently, "Red Flag" is in kind of abuse presently. Misusing Red Flag, causes, i.) more readers but less OP. None wants "Red" due to his/her OP. Without new OP, FW forum will be dying off. ii.) argument or offensive among FWers sometimes. Several threads look useless because of too many arguments (some in personal) there and too much "Red".
3. Frankly. FW search engineer is worst I have seen, especially on combo of strings. search return of string combo often not very helpful. functions of "+", " "... not very powerful.

Skipping 83 Messages...
1) If csahback links are added automatically, then the OP ought to get a payout... I realise that CashBack can't link to a single post, but some kind of profit sharing ought to be implemented ... even if it's only "1c" per qualifying click...

2) Built in Rebate Tracking system
\

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014