• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Rogaine (Monoxidil) a popular treatment choice for fighting baldness.

3PK Rogaine foam for men is usually $49.99

Walgreens ESR catalogue has a $10 coupon good till 1/31

If u just sign up here u ll get a $15 coupon. (Make sure u r connected to a printer when u sign up because u cant save the coupon as file)

So the effective price is $49.99 - $10 - $15 = 24.99 + 3.50 (Tax) = $ 28.49

I did search before posting, Usually Walgreens offer $10 off coupons on this item but the $15 MFC off make it a deal

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yup... Proscar pills are too small to effectively cut with any pill cutter I've seen. This ain't your father's utility ... (more)

jonnashville (Jan. 25, 2009 @ 7:59a) |

is there a point where you can stop using rogaine? or is it something that you'll have to use forever...?

thanks

southernSin (Jan. 26, 2009 @ 1:26p) |

i read that if you stop using it, the hair falls off again .. so you'll have to keep using it
it's something that interac... (more)

LL412 (Jan. 27, 2009 @ 1:14a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good deal if you like the foam. Generic stuff is still cheaper at Costco, Sam's, Wallyworld, etc.

thanks in 4 3 packs

Rogaine is on sale this week at CVS for $19.99 with $5 ECBs. Use the $15 Q and get it for free.

Coupon is only good on a 3 pack...so CVS deal is incorrect above.

Actually, the coupon that prints is for $15 off ANY Rogaine, not just the foam or 3-pack. So, the CVS offer will work.

CVS Offer for foam: "you pay $19.99 with ExtraCare card - $5.00 extra bucks« reward = $14.99 after extra bucks; Extra Bucks offer limit of 5 per household with card."

You can print the coupon twice per computer by hitting the back arrow keys 2 or 3 times (YMMV); Safari on the Mac and Firefox on Windows work best. Both coupons are valid with different serial numbers.

Do 2 transactions, and use the $5 Extra Bucks on the 2nd, too (you might need a filler for a few cents on the second purchase).

CVS deal worked for me although the clerk had to fight to get the $15 coupon to work. Thanks!

or ask you Doctor for free samples of Propecia- which is proven to work much better

mcb247 said: or ask you Doctor for free samples of Propecia- which is proven to work much betterActually, generic Proscar 5 mg can be easily cut into 4, and used along with monoxidil for even better results, and much cheaper. I take it 4 days in a row, then skip a day to balance out the dose; been doing it for years. Free "samples" of Propecia won't do the trick, as you need to keep taking it, and results do not occur for several weeks or months.

jonnashville ,

is Proscar generic for propecia? My Doc warned me for sexual side effects of propecia and told me that they remain for 2 months from your day you stop taking it and for that reason i didnt go with propecia and trying rogain for about a month... comments?

Proscar is the exact same thing, only a 5 mg dose. Propecia is 1 mg, so you need to cut it in 5 ideally, but 4 is all I can do with a utility knife.

hream said: CVS deal worked for me although the clerk had to fight to get the $15 coupon to work. Thanks!

Lookin' @ ur Avatar I say - approved!

I've always wondered about this... if I accidentally applied this elsewhere, would that result in hair growth? (i.e. hairy palms)

TrueKnight said: I've always wondered about this... if I accidentally applied this elsewhere, would that result in hair growth? (i.e. hairy palms)

if there are hair follicles there, then yes

jonnashville said: mcb247 said: or ask you Doctor for free samples of Propecia- which is proven to work much betterActually, generic Proscar 5 mg can be easily cut into 4, and used along with monoxidil for even better results, and much cheaper. I take it 4 days in a row, then skip a day to balance out the dose; been doing it for years. Free "samples" of Propecia won't do the trick, as you need to keep taking it, and results do not occur for several weeks or months.

Just so you know, there are credible studies out there showing that the fsh properties of propecia/finasteride work as well as 1 mg/day at levels as low as 0.62 mg/day - the problem is cutting it into doses that size from - especially - a 5 mg tablet.

And on a cautionary note - more complaints are being sounded by men about hormonal issues with long term use of propecia/finasteride.

I won't itemize the list, but The Google reveals much to be concerned about.

johnnyz said: Rogaine is on sale this week at CVS for $19.99 with $5 ECBs. Use the $15 Q and get it for free.

Thanks. Great info. I just got 5% foam for free.

I need some to keep brain from freezing.

There's a very long, good thread on min/fin in the expired deals section that answers some of the questions:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/topic_view.php?catid=74&threadid...

Short answer is that the two act differently; Rogaine tells hair follicles to grow, Propecia tells them to stop dying. Propecia also can rarely do some funky things to your hormones given you ingest it so you have to be slightly careful, where Rogaine is local.

Foam does the exact same thing the generic liquid does, but unlike the generic there's little chance it will irritate the skin, so a lot of people find it more effective because of that.

Good catch on the coupons; Costco's 4 pack runs either 49.99 or 54.99 (forget which, been a while since a single can lasts me a lot longer than a month) but this is a better deal.

I hit 3 stores today, recycling CVS coupons as I went. I had 5 Rogaine coupons from 3 computers, so by tomorrow, I'm going to max out on the deal with 5 freebies after I hit 2 more stores. For some reason, I'm surrounded by CVS.

JesseLivermore said: Google reveals much to be concerned about.I've read them, too, but you really need to take hearsay and crapola (which much of the Internet is) with huge grains of salt. I put credibility only in scientific studies, rather than some guy saying his left toenail fell off after starting some therapy. I skip every 5th day with Proscar cut into quarters, so the dosage will even out over time, which is a good plan according to several physicians I've consulted.

adeelsaftab said: jonnashville ,

is Proscar generic for propecia? My Doc warned me for sexual side effects of propecia and told me that they remain for 2 months from your day you stop taking it and for that reason i didnt go with propecia and trying rogain for about a month... comments?

Sexual side effects can last longer than 2 months and can last forever. There is a reason that there are so many men reporting side effects, its true.
Its not worth the gamble.

Looks like the $15 online coupon might have been killed. Signed up today, got dumped on a coupon print error page which says "No prints available for this campaign."

Real information from a reputable source, not some fear-mongering or paranoid goofball with too much free time and a web site:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-prostate-bph/BP99999/P...

Quote from the Mayo Clinic: "Side effects of enzyme inhibitors are generally rare."

jonnashville said: Real information from a reputable source, not some fear-mongering or paranoid goofball with too much free time and a web site:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-prostate-bph/BP99999/P...

Quote from the Mayo Clinic: "Side effects of enzyme inhibitors are generally rare."

Wow are you a shill for the drug industry? There are hundreds of men reporting problems, some permanent. Ease up on your blind irrational hatred for people with other points of view.

go buy walmarts version of rogaine itz only 20 bucks for the 3 pack.. works fairly well for me.. enjoy!!

NM

Few Points:
(1) there is no head-to-head comparison trial between rogaine and propecia. But from the individual trials data, more patients appear to respond to finasteride.
(2) finasteride is prescription only, and can cause sexual side effects, and is contra-indicated for women, and women shouldn't handle them due to skin absorption.
(3) rogaine is over the counter, mild side effects, and is ok for women to use.
(4) the 5% rogaine is more effective than the 2%, but can cause more skin irritation.

Finasteride's common side effects:
(1) Dermatologic: Rash
(2) Reproductive: Breast tenderness, Disorder of ejaculation, Erectile dysfunction, Reduced libido, Swelling of breast

Patient education:
(1) Warn patient that women should not handle crushed or broken tablets when they are pregnant or may potentially be pregnant because of the possibility of absorption of drug and the subsequent potential risk to a male fetus.
(2) This drug may cause breast tenderness, ejaculation disorder, erectile dysfunction, reduced libido, or swollen breast.
(3) If drug is being used for hair loss, advise patient that symptomatic improvement may not be seen for 3 months or longer. Once medication is stopped, any improvements will likely be reversed within 12 months.

Rogaine's common side effects:
(1)Cardiovascular: Hypotension
(2)Dermatologic: Hirsutism, Hypertrichosis
(3)Endocrine metabolic: Body fluid retention (7%), Hypernatremia
(Keep in mind that these apply mostly to the oral form, hardly ever for lotions.)

Patient Education:
(1) Topical form may cause itching, burning, or redness of scalp.
(2)Instruct patient to report signs/symptoms of hypotension, tachycardia, or angina, especially with oral form of drug.
(3) Instruct patient to follow administration instructions specific to the topical formulation with regards to application.

youngchemist2003 said: common side effects:

Not that I don't appreciate the contributions of a PharmD to be, but got to be careful with the language since "common" is a bit misleading.

Quoting the actual clinical study for finasteride: "In three controlled clinical trials for PROPECIA of 12-month duration, 1.4% of patients taking PROPECIA (n=945) were discontinued due to adverse experiences that were considered to be possibly, probably or definitely drug-related (1.6% for placebo; n=934)."

Quoting for minoxidil (oral): "Minoxidil should be reserved for hypertensive patients who do not respond adequately to maximum therapeutic doses of a diuretic and two other antihypertensive agents." It's really powerful third line stuff that pretty much only a cardiologist would tend to prescribe, and the topical form is nowhere near that.

For topical: "Less common: Itching or skin rash (continued). Rare: Acne at site of application; burning of scalp; increased hair loss; inflammation or soreness at root of hair; reddened skin; swelling of face. Signs and symptoms of too much medicine being absorbed into the bodyŚRare: Blurred vision or other changes in vision; chest pain; decrease of sexual ability or desire; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing; headache; lightheadedness; numbness or tingling of hands, feet, or face; swelling of face, hands, feet, or lower legs; weight gain (rapid)" Or to quote the actual insert: "Note: Signs and symptoms of toxicity resulting from systemic absorption are unlikely unless a patient applies minoxidil too frequently to a large surface area (such as that occurring in a woman who had alopecia totalis {10}) or unless the product is ingested orally (as was the case of one man attempting suicide by consuming topical minoxidil) {24} {26}."

I actually fall in the camp of being somewhat concerned about some of the reports on finasteride - you'd best really know what's going on with your hormones before mucking around with something that lowers your DHT levels, and they're fools for not releasing a topical version like some derms have - but "common" is a bit much given what the peer reviewed literature supports (even if I agree there's not nearly enough of it given some of the very serious reported side effects a few have).

And for minoxidil, you've either got to do something really stupid or have a ton of other problems to have any risk for this doing more than irritating your skin, which is why the foam is actually so helpful since it lowers that potential significantly.

Good deal, and thanks OP. Let's focus on that (and how to maximize the savings, since I'm bummed I don't have a CVS nearby) instead of getting into a TC war on safety.

thanks lazybucks: the wording for "common" actually came directly from Micromedex, not one that I chose.

In a clinical setting, much lower numbers would be considered "common", but I see your point that the general population might interpret otherwise. As for rogaine, I already had noted in the last post that those side effects mentioned were almost exclusively for oral dosing.

I agree that taking an oral drug is usually not as safe as a topical one due to systemic exposure, especially when it comes to drugs that mess with the production of a nuclear hormone. People should keep that in mind when choosing which to try. However to be fair, it's very hard to get a drug to penetrate the skin which is designed to keep things out, and here you are also going against the direction of growth of the hair follicles. It require a drug and its vehicle to have very specific set of properties, which most drug just couldn't accommodate and still be active.

$15 off coupon is dead.

I use the generic from WalMart, Costco, and other stores that's only $17 for 3 pack anyway.

I also get generic proscar & cut into 4's with a pill splitter. The full 5mg dose is meant for stopping enlarged prostates (which will kill every single male who lives long enough). Any temporay "libido" effect (I've noticed none) is far outweighed by the convenience of not having to take a leak so much that commonly affects us old geezers over 40. Even a quarter of a pill a day seems to cut the times you have to "go" in half.

I've used minoxodil for several years and frankly didn't see much effect, if any, on hair growth until I starting using Proscar. Even on line you usually have to get a prescription for Proscar but the generic tablets only cost about $90 for enough tablets, after quartering, for a year (I use Drug World Canada whose Proscar generic ships from India).

Maybe there are some extremely few men who's prostrate is already too small, but I've never heard of such a problem. I'm not a medical professional and this is just my experience and that of other men my age I know.

i bought 3 free bottles.. rogain stopped futher printing of $15 off coupons ? it said this promotion is over.. i have one un-used coupon... wud a copy work ?

well the coupon dun seem so work any more now so few concerns while we are still active on this thread ..

i still cant comprehend the reason why use Rogain cause once u stop it u start losing 'IF it has grown ANY hair' which i doubt?.. my dermatologist gave me shots in head .. some steroids for 8 months... (once a month) nothing happened so i stopped it. Changed my dermatologist to get more opinion.. the other dermatologist got my blood checked and everything came out normal including thyroid results .. then he asked me to use Rogain and come back see her in 3 to 4 months. Its my 2nd month.. i dun see any progress and I am just thinking if transplant is the only enduring solution then why waste time and money on these fleeting short cuts? Your dermatologist experience wud be much appreciated.

is it true that if you dont use it, you lose it?

how good does rogaine foam work? i just hit 29 not long ago and in the last month, i noticed my hair got much thinner than before. losing hair during shampoo and the hair loss is pretty distributed. went to see the PCP and after a brief look, he wrote a prescription for propecia. made an apptmt to see a dermatologist to find out the cause of this...

jonnashville said: Proscar is the exact same thing, only a 5 mg dose. Propecia is 1 mg, so you need to cut it in 5 ideally, but 4 is all I can do with a utility knife.

OMG- but sorry a utility knife for pills?

I just bought a pill cutter for like $2 at WalMart or a Drugstore and it has a sharp blade and something to hold the pill in place...well worth the $2 or so or even $5....consider it a health expense.

I actually ended up with some serious medical problems from being given a too high dose of one medication from my doctor as they did not want to order the liquid lower dose form for me (long story)....so just invest in a pill cutter already.

adeelsaftab said: i bought 3 free bottles.. rogain stopped futher printing of $15 off coupons ? it said this promotion is over.. i have one un-used coupon... wud a copy work ?No. Each coupon is individually coded. Trying to present a copy is fraud.

It's moot anyway. The CVS sale ended Saturday. It's back up to $29.95.

Ottawashopper said:

OMG- but sorry a utility knife for pills?

Yup... Proscar pills are too small to effectively cut with any pill cutter I've seen. This ain't your father's utility knife. Darned thing has something like a razor blade in it. Put the pill on a washcloth sitting on a counter... easy.

is there a point where you can stop using rogaine? or is it something that you'll have to use forever...?

thanks

Skipping 1 Messages...
southernSin said: is there a point where you can stop using rogaine? or is it something that you'll have to use forever...?

thanks

i read that if you stop using it, the hair falls off again .. so you'll have to keep using it
it's something that interacts with the hormones (DHT) so it's not a permanent solution

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014