• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Tires- Goodyear F1 GS-D3 High Performance tires in 205/50-16 for $38.50 each after rebate!
Next cheapest I could find in this size is $145.50 each shipped after rebate from www.discounttiredirect.com

Link

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 is Goodyear's Max Performance Summer radial developed for driving enthusiasts who want more performance from their factory stock or aftermarket-tuned sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans. The Eagle F1 GS-D3 excels in wet conditions by delivering class-leading hydroplaning resistance and traction, as well as offers competitive dry performance. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires feature Goodyear's AAtrax tread compound molded into a distinctive wet weather racing-derived OneTRED directional tread design and earns the highest "AA" Uniform Tire Quality Grade wet traction rating. The Eagle F1 GS-D3's OneTRED design combines three distinct patterns to enhance dry and wet performance. A solid and continuous center zone maintains constant road contact to enhance straight-line tracking and initial steering response. Next, sweeping intermediate power transfer bridges use "virtual rib" technology that emulates racing slicks by delivering shoulder-to-shoulder tread contact to further enhance steering response and dry road cornering traction. Then, sweeping aquachannel grooves, which are three times longer than the tire's contact patch, angle forward and out to the edges of the tread to avoid trapping water between the tire and the road enhancing wet traction and hydroplaning resistance. And finally, the virtual ribs flow into the shoulder area to form long, stable shoulder blocks that grip the road during cornering and help resist the wear associated with aggressive driving.

The tire's structure includes twin, high-tensile steel belts reinforced with spirally wound nylon that distribute the vehicle's load across the tire's footprint to provide high-speed durability and uniform ride qualities. Slightly angled body ply construction with high-ply turn ups enhance steering precision and high speed stability while exterior sidewall rim flange protectors help guard wheels from curb damage.

This size is old stock from 2004, but has been stored properly and drives like new. I bought 2 sets and they are the stickiest street tire around! This size is the best deal, and great for smaller cars. A great tire for $200 shipped after rebate.

Credit: solort from SD

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is why I don't drive in sunlight, or anywhere where oxygen may be present.

labboypro (Jan. 25, 2009 @ 2:49p) |

That's one way to extend their life!

That said, don't fall for the Nitrogen fill scam. Air is ~78% nitrogen, and it's ... (more)

skidmark (Jan. 25, 2009 @ 5:33p) |

Pirelli Cinturato P5 P195/65R-15 91T BLK "The Perfect Combination For Any Situation"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/... (more)

mbusa (Jan. 26, 2009 @ 5:50p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

LINK
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Link doesn't work. Try this one here - link

link is dead

Vladipusss said: link is dead

Not as dead as four year old rubber ...

For those that is "concerned" about 4 year old tires: Do you realize the average driver put less than 15,000 miles on their car? That means even if the tire is "fresh" on a brand new car, most people keep their tires for 5 years or more.

Are we seeing people with failing tires left and right in America??!

Unless the tires are stored improperly in the harshest environment, (TireRack would not), you're safe.

Anyway, these tires are very very good sticky summer tires. If you like these, you probably like to drive, and will wear them out within 2 years (more if you also use snow tires).

One warning, if you read the reviews, you'll find that some people are developing lumps/bumps on their tires. I got them too, and I believe they are from hitting pot holes... so if you drive in areas with bad roads, don't get them.

If you drive on good roads with a nice driver's car, you won't find better tires for double this price!

Here's an article on older tires

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

I would trust an older tire stored properly (away from light and in climate controlled area) vs a newer tire exposed to the sun and extreme cold/hot temps (and sidewall rubber cracking) anyday.

stevie123 said: For those that is "concerned" about 4 year old tires: Do you realize the average driver put less than 15,000 miles on their car? That means even if the tire is "fresh" on a brand new car, most people keep their tires for 5 years or more.

Are we seeing people with failing tires left and right in America??!

Unless the tires are stored improperly in the harshest environment, (TireRack would not), you're safe.

Anyway, these tires are very very good sticky summer tires. If you like these, you probably like to drive, and will wear them out within 2 years (more if you also use snow tires).

One warning, if you read the reviews, you'll find that some people are developing lumps/bumps on their tires. I got them too, and I believe they are from hitting pot holes... so if you drive in areas with bad roads, don't get them.

If you drive on good roads with a nice driver's car, you won't find better tires for double this price!

Yes, we are seeing the effect of aging rubber on cars in America. Hard rubber, tread separation, sidewall checking, etc., etc.

Have you been in a TireRack warehouse, as I have? Heat, oxygen, and UV light are the greatest enemies of rubber compounds. I'm not saying that these will kill you instantly, but there are enough inept fools driving fart-piped tuners who need all the help that they can get. So just be careful, because these will not have the performance of fresh tires.

It's unlikely that TireRack had them in stock all this time, and they are still unsold. Most likely they are a one-time procurement from who-knows-how-they-were-stored. On top of this, they are "faulty" to begin with, and are rated only for summer use. Makes one wonder if they waited 4 years, why clearance them out now instead of nearer to summer? One answer would be that now buyers would not install/test them within warranty period.
Add to all this that one can get decent tires at not much more than this.
Value should be based $ spent for quality, and not on % discount. Garbage-ola discounted 90% from $1000 (=$100 WOW!!!) is still garbage compared to a realistically-priced $150 item at only a 20% discount (=$120). You can substitute your own example here.
While driving, my own safety, and the safety of others, depends a lot on good tires.
I will pass!!!

tommae said: I would trust an older tire stored properly.
How about an older tire AND stored improperly?
What do we know about the storage conditions on these tires? nada!

The only difference between these tires and the up to 12 year old tires you buy on sale at Sears is Tire Rack discloses this.
http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

Well its says they are out of stock now!

And i needed new tires

caf2461 said: The only difference between these tires and the up to 12 year old tires you buy on sale at Sears is Tire Rack discloses this.
http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ti...

Who would buy tires at Sears? When I buy tires I ask for the Manufacture date BEFORE I'll let them go on my wheels. NOS is no deal for real drivers.

Keep in mind that most tires on the roads are 10+ year old!

If the tires are improperly stored, you can see it in terms of cracks, flaking, and out-of-roundness.

TireRack is a very reputable company, and may be the largest tire seller in America...

I think this deal is safe.

Anyway, some of you may be able to get a pricematch at your local discount tire or Belle tire....

These are also Z rated tires that are made in Germany sized for smaller cars. The tires currently on your SUV are more likely seperate at speed.

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:

M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

ocean935 said: It's unlikely that TireRack had them in stock all this time, and they are still unsold. Most likely they are a one-time procurement from who-knows-how-they-were-stored. On top of this, they are "faulty" to begin with, and are rated only for summer use. Makes one wonder if they waited 4 years, why clearance them out now instead of nearer to summer? One answer would be that now buyers would not install/test them within warranty period.
Value should be based $ spent for quality, and not on % discount. Garbage-ola discounted 90% from $1000 (=$100 WOW!!!) is still garbage compared to a realistically-priced $150 item at only a 20% discount (=$120). You can substitute your own example here.
While driving, my own safety, and the safety of others, depends a lot on good tires.
I will pass!!!

I don't know where to start with such an ignorant sounding post, TireRack has a well deserved reputation for being an honest broker, they do supply the SCCA ... These are exceptional tires ... being "summer" tires doesn't make them "defective" it makes them unsuitable for snow (DUH!)... and you'll never get them at a better price .. I paid almost double that for a used set of ContiSuperContact summer tires off of a wrecked low-mileage Audi. My guess is that they came from a manufacturer that uses a lot of that size (Cavalier/Cobalt SS ,, HHR ,, SRT-4 Neon, WRX) and had them warehoused as the dealers never sold them as expected.. it happens. I live in the south and ALWAYS buy my (summer) tires during the winter as they are usually clearanced then..

neidermeyer said:

I don't know where to start with such an ignorant sounding post, TireRack has a well deserved reputation for being an honest broker, they do supply the SCCA ... These are exceptional tires ... being "summer" tires doesn't make them "defective" it makes them unsuitable for snow (DUH!)... and you'll never get them at a better price .. I paid almost double that for a used set of ContiSuperContact summer tires off of a wrecked low-mileage Audi. My guess is that they came from a manufacturer that uses a lot of that size (Cavalier/Cobalt SS ,, HHR ,, SRT-4 Neon, WRX) and had them warehoused as the dealers never sold them as expected.. it happens. I live in the south and ALWAYS buy my (summer) tires during the winter as they are usually clearanced then..

This is also a size used by many Saabs, Audi, VW, etc. In other words, this is a very very common tire size.

well, for other sizes..
Front 225/45ZR17 : $154 each
Rear 245/40ZR17 : $168 each
and $50 mir..

considering the price of othersizes, I would say this is a good deal on performance tires..

I believe the Ford Focus is the only vehicle to use this size tire...

Well my 2003 Honda Accord EX also uses the same size

Great tires. I run 18s on my Z.

I picked up a set of these (in this exact size) for my Mini Cooper S two weeks ago. These are supposed to be unmatched in the wet, pretty darn good on dry streets, and at this price, they are a steal. From what I understand, these were made in Germany, while later versions were made in Asia (can't remember exactly where). From people who know the tires from before and after the changeover, the German tires allegedly perform better.

Tire Rack's reputation is exceptionally good. This is a no-brainer if you're looking for summer tires for your ride and can swap out in cold weather (or if it never gets below 45 or 50 where you live).

stevie123 said: This is also a size used by many Saabs, Audi, VW, etc. In other words, this is a very very common tire size.
My point exactly!
This is such a common size, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that TireRack was sitting on them. Most likely they just got acquired, and we DO NOT know the storing conditions.

laveli said: Well my 2003 Honda Accord EX also uses the same size
205/60-16

ocean935 said: laveli said: Well my 2003 Honda Accord EX also uses the same size
205/60-16

Yep, So is this deal dead now? Anyway I can pick a set up?

laveli said: Well my 2003 Honda Accord EX also uses the same size

No, it uses 205/60R16

How do I tell if this is going to fit my 2001 Honda Accord LX?

Thanks.
KIm

stevie123 said: neidermeyer said:

This is also a size used by many Saabs, Audi, VW, etc. In other words, this is a very very common tire size.

Sorry, I own 5 VWs, 1996 on to 2004, jettas, passat sedans and wagons. Not a one takes this size. I think I got my first VW in 1979 so maybe one in the middle but I sure don't think so.

isolvesystems said: How do I tell if this is going to fit my 2001 Honda Accord LX?

Thanks.
KIm

Read either the sidewall of your current tires or the door plaque inside driver's door. If you do have 16" wheels these will fit but will be a much lower profile (less rubber between the wheel and road) and will negatively effect ride quality.

rjr311 said: stevie123 said: neidermeyer said:

Sorry, I own 5 VWs, 1996 on to 2004, jettas, passat sedans and wagons. Not a one takes this size. I think I got my first VW in 1979 so maybe one in the middle but I sure don't think so.

As I stated earlier, the ford focus may be the only vehicle which uses this as an OE size. The other vehicles mentioned above generally use an aspect ratio of 55 with 16" wheels.

Given a factory set of rims, there are usually a few different choices of tire sizes which will fit (in addition to the factory size). You simply need to make sure that the outer diameter of the tire is essentially the same as your original tire, and that the tire will fit the rim from a width perspective.

When your tires outer diameter is different than the stock diameter, a speedometer error occurs which is proportional to the increase or decrease in diameter. use this tool to see what the impact will be.

Tire Dimensions Made Simple from Discount Tire

ocean935 said: It's unlikely that TireRack had them in stock all this time, and they are still unsold. Most likely they are a one-time procurement from who-knows-how-they-were-stored. On top of this, they are "faulty" to begin with, and are rated only for summer use. Makes one wonder if they waited 4 years, why clearance them out now instead of nearer to summer? One answer would be that now buyers would not install/test them within warranty period.
I will pass!!!

TireRack is a highly reputable seller and I doubt they would take the risk of selling these tires if they were in poor condition. Faulty because they are "summer tires"?!?!?!?! That is so wrong I don't even know what to say. Google I guess.
Summer tires on clearance in the winter sounds right to me. Why would they clearance them in the summer when they could get full price from people who actually need the tires right away? These are far from "garbage-ola" I went through a few sets of these on my 530 (Dinan S2) and they were excellent. If you don't drive hard and are looking for long treadlife these might not be what you're looking for, but if you like to DRIVE and don't mind replacing your rubber after 20-25k these are about as good as it gets. The only question is the age of the tires and I just don't see TireRack taking on the liabilty of selling bad tires for such a small profit.

stevie123 said: neidermeyer said:

...and the Nissan 300ZX non-TT.
Which brings up a final point - people getting these, if they're like me, don't have to worry about keeping them for very long after purchase, as you'll use them up. Sticky tires generally wear faster, a fair trade IMO. And as for how old they may be when they first arrive, see previous posts. Tire Rack does good by their stock.

bonmot said: Given a factory set of rims, there are usually a few different choices of tire sizes which will fit (in addition to the factory size). You simply need to make sure that the outer diameter of the tire is essentially the same as your original tire, and that the tire will fit the rim from a width perspective.

When your tires outer diameter is different than the stock diameter, a speedometer error occurs which is proportional to the increase or decrease in diameter. use this tool to see what the impact will be.

Not so fast there. The width of the tire is also a limiting factor. If a tire is too wide it will rub while turning. Also, as noted earlier, the aspect ratio will affect ride quality and suspension dynamics.

skidmark said: bonmot said: Given a factory set of rims, there are usually a few different choices of tire sizes which will fit (in addition to the factory size). You simply need to make sure that the outer diameter of the tire is essentially the same as your original tire, and that the tire will fit the rim from a width perspective.

Not so fast there. The width of the tire is also a limiting factor. If a tire is too wide it will rub while turning. Also, as noted earlier, the aspect ratio will affect ride quality and suspension dynamics.

That's definitely true about rubbing being something to be aware of, but I doubt that any tire which safely fits the rim width and stays reasonably close to the factory tires' outer diameter (say less than 5%) on the factory rims is going to rub. Now if you start going to larger rims to enable lower profile tires (maintaining the same outer diameter), then you will get pronounced effects in the areas you describe.

I just wanted to let people know about how tire diameter affects speedometer error, thus the link.

There's one more thing to check - load rating. Make sure your replacement tires have an equal or greater load rating to your factory tires.

good luck getting these now:

"Estimated Availability:
Fewer than 2 "

You need to know the age of your tires. I think they are limited to 6 years in England. I saw a news report like 60 min. or 20/20 a few weeks back talking about tires age.

NoLegs

Determining the Age of a Tire

"Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number (DOT) with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year."

"example:
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
07 Manufactured during 2007"

Dead?

The item(s) crossed out below are no longer available.

Select an alternative item using the SELECT NEW ITEM button. If you wish to proceed without replacing the item, click REMOVE ITEM AND PROCEED.

skidmark said: Heat, oxygen, and UV light are the greatest enemies of rubber compounds.

labboypro said: skidmark said: Heat, oxygen, and UV light are the greatest enemies of rubber compounds.

That's one way to extend their life!

That said, don't fall for the Nitrogen fill scam. Air is ~78% nitrogen, and it's "free." If you store your vehicle outdoors, you can get tire covers to keep the light from doing its thing.

Skipping 1 Messages...
Pirelli Cinturato P5 P195/65R-15 91T BLK "The Perfect Combination For Any Situation"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2000&pc=41772&counter=1&ar=65&rd=15&vid=007201&sw=false&cs=195

220 with FREE shippign and after $60 rebate

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014