Then he signed me up for an email newsletter in store and took off another $21
So I paid $118 with no tax!

Pretty good, if you do like 2 alignments you've paid for it already

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
the answer is NO.

rigor (Mar. 08, 2009 @ 2:28p) |

i thought this was interesting:

"I just went through this process with my DW's new car.
The outcome:
The tires and wheels w... (more)

TheKricket (Mar. 08, 2009 @ 2:46p) |

Not so fast, there, McGee...

You might want to try your local high school automotive shop... If there is one, it's gener... (more)

mrdjman (Mar. 08, 2009 @ 3:11p) |

Folks if you wish to educate yourselves about the intricacies of balance and alignment, I have added some interesting stuff below.
You need to start with balance and then move on to alignment.

I just went through this process with my DW's new car.
The outcome:
The tires and wheels were all replaced as there was no way to create a system that was not out of spec.

There is one machine/system that works out issues like no other can:
Hunter 9700 with LFM

Navigate through this site and you may be quite surprised about what you have not been getting.

This system requires a caring trained technician at the helm, so please ask about their credentials.

9700's manual

These guys have a nice discussion about the subject

Videos

This system is tough to find at a Firestone shop.

Ok so now you are totally in balance you move on to alignment:

Alignment
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Lifetime as in the life of you the human, the life of the car, or the life of your tires?

Big difference b/t the three...80 yrs vs. 10 yrs vs. 2 yrs (approx)...

Life of car..I got this last year for $129 or so...

What's the fine print like? Any add'l charges when you go in for the subsequent alligments?

These lifetime alignment are scams. You may have a few shops here or there that will honor it, but as time flys by they are more reluctant to do it again. Especially if the chain is owned by a new owner. I just take mine into the dealer. You can bitch at them if its not right. Just my 02 cents

I've had this for over four years and my girlfriend the same amount of time. It's a great deal. It's good for as long you own the car; when my girlfriend's car was totaled she had to buy a new lifetime alignment. When you compare what others want for alignment, this is a steal. Of course, Firestone wants you to get the alignment so you'll buy other things there. I usually get my car aligned there at least twice a year -- at least 8 alignments and it cost me $125. At mine, if you get your oil changed (always less than $20 because they honor competitor coupons) they also rotate your tires for free.

beatnik28 said: What's the fine print like? Any add'l charges when you go in for the subsequent alligments?

Nope...No hidden clause...

I'll have to check if this is nationwide or not. I just bought a new car 3 weeks ago, so I will have plenty of time to use it.

This is a good deal if your local Firestone is any good. I have these for all three of our cars and as soeone else said, get two alignments in the first year and the deal has paid for itself. The manager told me that none of his other customers had their cars aligned as often as me. LOL! I go every three months and if it's not right I'm back the next day so they usually get it right the forst time these days. But it did take time.

stelkes said: I've had this for over four years and my girlfriend the same amount of time.

So which one has been the better deal?

stelkes said: I've had this for over four years and my girlfriend the same amount of time. It's a great deal. It's good for as long you own the car; when my girlfriend's car was totaled she had to buy a new lifetime alignment. When you compare what others want for alignment, this is a steal. Of course, Firestone wants you to get the alignment so you'll buy other things there. I usually get my car aligned there at least twice a year -- at least 8 alignments and it cost me $125. At mine, if you get your oil changed (always less than $20 because they honor competitor coupons) they also rotate your tires for free.

wow, i've only had my girlfriend for 2 years...

seriously though, if you plan to keep the car, this is a great deal.

STORE LOCATOR

Green for you OP.

Is this the firestone you went to and who did you talk to get this deal?

462 San Antonio Rd
Mountain View, CA 94040

whats wrong with your driving that requires an alignment twice a year? i had mine done after 48 months and it was within a half a degree on the worst wheel (audi's 5 link is particularily nasty to align).

If firestone stays in business, this is a great deal.

I purchased this about a year ago at a Firestone here in Texas where Firestones are ubiquitous. The selling point for me was the fact that I can walk into any Firestone and have my wheels aligned for free. While they may try to upsell you on something else, there are no additional costs. I used it twice so far, and between your second and third time you will make your money back. If you own your car for more than a year, it seems well worth the price. They make their money by upselling and the fact that you are visiting their facility often. I think most FWers can say no when need be, and for someone like me who oil changes there anyways, it's a moot point.

Note, I think they only sell this in states without too many pot-holes (like CA or the Southwest) as normally you could go for years without ever needing an alignment. I doubt they have this deal in Chicago or New York...

Pretty good deal, if your local firestone dealer is honest. Would never go back to the local dealer here.

I got this a little over a year ago at about $130. It's a great deal. I just go in there and say I need an alignment, and they do it. I've done it about 3 times. It's a GREAT investment if you have a Firestone near you and you plan keeping the same car for a few years.

this is cheaper than NTB's 5 yr, I'm glad I had a friend tell me about this the other day, I almost got mine done there the other day

I'd have to say the girlfriend -- by a nose.

I live in Pennsylvania, and there are a lot of potholes and bad roads. I view the alignment as maintenance more than anything else. My girlfriend drives up to northern Pennsylvania where the roads are worse, so she gets her car aligned more. This really is a great deal, especially if you plan on keeping your car for a while (I kept my Honda for 14 years).

This deal is also good if you are into suspension mods for your car, I have coilovers suspension on my car and need an alignment any time I raise or lower the car to go to the track so I usually get 2 alignments a month

usadaytrader said: These lifetime alignment are scams. You may have a few shops here or there that will honor it, but as time flys by they are more reluctant to do it again. Especially if the chain is owned by a new owner. I just take mine into the dealer. You can bitch at them if its not right. Just my 02 cents
It depends on the dealer. I was happy with mine and told my BIL who lives in different State. After about 2~3 years, his dealer won't do the alignment unless he agreed to a costly repair to bring the specs back to new car standard due to "liability". They refused to do it even if he signs a release. He took the car to the other garage for alignment; he was told his car specs were a little off, had plenty of life left and hardly dangerous. It was not a brand new car, there was tear and wear; it was unrealistic to bring everything back to brand new specs on a 3 year old car.
I am afraid if you only bring in your car for life time alignment without additional business, you may not get the nice treatment. Usually their repair is on the high side.

mnsweeps said: beatnik28 said: What's the fine print like? Any add'l charges when you go in for the subsequent alligments?

Parts are extra. Always needed if your car is more than a few years old. That's where the dough is.

Happy motoring.

dang i bought a lifetime alignment for $125 last week. only $6 more oh well

BadDog41 said: mnsweeps said: beatnik28 said: What's the fine print like? Any add'l charges when you go in for the subsequent alligments?

Parts are extra. Always needed if your car is more than a few years old. That's where the dough is.

Happy motoring.

What parts are they using when doing an alignment? Unless there is some damage, no parts should be required.

usadaytrader said: These lifetime alignment are scams. You may have a few shops here or there that will honor it, but as time flys by they are more reluctant to do it again. Especially if the chain is owned by a new owner. I just take mine into the dealer. You can bitch at them if its not right. Just my 02 cents

you just need to make sure it is the actual chain or if it is an independently owned firestone that is offering it. there is a big difference.
i change suspension fairly often so got it on the first visit. i've used it about six times already, two of them were only about a month apart, and there were never any hassles at all (my car has less than 15,000 miles added since i bought the lifetime in 2005).

i have one too........had it aligned maybe 3-4 times so far. in my fine print it says every 6k miles or more. i normally did this truck every 6 months anyway so it worked out good.

im thinking about getting it for my new truck too.

Got this for my wife's car a couple years ago as well for $120. Made our money back on this already as well

If I can find a Firestone near me, I may look into this. I drive a lowered truck, so it's usually about $60+ per alignment.

I've had this for 3 years and I'm definitely happy I got it. I actually got their lifetime alignment and wheel balance package. It ran me something like $300 at the time but I get my tires rotated, balanced, and aligned 3-4 times per year. That makes almost 12 times that I've gone to them! When you figure a single alignment is like $60-80 and balancing is like another $20 its definitely worth it.

usadaytrader said: These lifetime alignment are scams. I just take mine into the dealer.

Swift.
You can get an $800 brake job in there while you're at it and save time too.

I've had a few of the lifetime warranties in the past, on various cars. They even transferred it from to a new car for me once ($25 charge). After nearly 10 years of completely free alignments, it was well worth it. But when I went to transfer it to the next new car, they wouldn't.

Wow, great deal. I paid $100 for an alignment at a local shop on my old car, because they found some "problems" with a couple of parts. It was supposed to be $60.. Now I just need to find a local, reputable Firestone that won't try to pull that on me.

I think most of you are insane or driver really messed up cars. I don't think you would need an alignment more than once every 5 years on a reasonably new car... exception are the racers who muck with their suspensions.

polishdreamer said: If firestone stays in business, this is a great deal.

Good point. I was speculating today whether Firestone would survive the upcoming shakeups. I'd hate for it to go the way of the 5 year dvd player warranty I bought at Circuit City last year.

I got the same 2 yrs back and go to firestone every 6 months. I live on east coast and because of winter the roads get all pot holes and its worth getting the lifetime alignment at firestone.

nosatalian said: I think most of you are insane or driver really messed up cars. I don't think you would need an alignment more than once every 5 years on a reasonably new car... exception are the racers who muck with their suspensions.

You dont understand. This is not for wear and tear. You alignment is messed up even if you hit a curb accidently...This is like an insurance...also alignment is required everytime when you rotate and balance your tire for free at Costco

deleted

Just be careful that your car don't get "problems" other than alignment while it is at Firestone.

Skipping 82 Messages...
rigor said: 69ragtop said: So one question would be if any reputable shop sells a lifetime alignment.

the answer is NO.

Not so fast, there, McGee...

You might want to try your local high school automotive shop... If there is one, it's generally taught/managed by a very qualified mechanic, and as long as what you need to have done is 'educational' for the kids, they'll generally do it.

I know the one here will do things with *NO* labor charge and the parts are gotten at an 'educational discount' - which is generally cheaper than you can find online.

Downside: It's not usually an 'in-and-out' type of thing - you may have to leave your vehicle for a day or three, but ya can't beat the price. I had a Ford Probe that was leaking around the main seal, and a 'reputable' garage told me to junk the car...it would have cost $2k.

Took it to the HS auto shop...cost me like $28 for the parts...and the car was fine...

Just a thought...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014