• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just got my latest cable/rr/phone bill from Time Warner and it went up $14. I called in, spoke with someone in billing, they couldn't do any adjustments, so I asked to be transferred to retention team. Told them I was not satisfied with rate increase and I would take my business else where. Said they have a new 2 year price lock guarantee that requires a contract. It would decrease my original bill by $10, so it is a $24 discount over all. It does require contact, with early termination fee of upto $150. There is a 60 day grace period.

Just a heads up for something you may be able to try if you get a rate increase. I'm in Greensboro, NC.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
mine is an odd ball. I'm getting 10mb for $29.95 and they said it was going up $17. Got my new bill and it went up like... (more)

optical (Dec. 08, 2009 @ 4:45p) |

I'm on their standard tier 5mb down service but the price is I think $35.95 (special offer). Lately though, my downloads... (more)

S105dude (Dec. 08, 2009 @ 4:50p) |

RR Inet, Dig Cable with 1 hd-dvr, and HBO locked at $103.23 including all tax fees here. Durham, NC.

tomatthe (Dec. 08, 2009 @ 4:56p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

so what was the final cost... after all the discounts?

I just called last week (Central NY) to cancel TV service (keeping RR) and they almost immediately offered me what amounted to a $20+ break to stay on. They said the price would be good for 18 months, never mentioned any contract necessity. So just threaten them and avoid the contract!?! = )

I just did the same thing. On the one hand, I'm locked into a contract. On the other, I'm paying less than I was for more channels and an HD DVR. Plus, we know how TWC loves upping rates for no reason, so I'm guaranteed not to get that shaft for 2 years.

I can't get satellite due to trees behind my house, so it's not like I had another good option anyway. TWC thought they were up against DirecTV -- and they would've been if it was possible -- but I just feel like I came out ahead here.

$10/month x 24 months = $240...

I did the same thing here in San Diego. Also you can get out of this 2 year "contract" if you move and provide them with documentation such as a utility bill or something similar.

Wow, you can't find the "price lock" terms on TWC's site. I've heard about this, but I've also heard rumor's about that they can still raise the REGULAR rates, but it'll always be ten dollars lower than what people would pay NOT in the price lock. Doesn't seem hot at all to me.

smeagle said: Wow, you can't find the "price lock" terms on TWC's site. I've heard about this, but I've also heard rumor's about that they can still raise the REGULAR rates, but it'll always be ten dollars lower than what people would pay NOT in the price lock. Doesn't seem hot at all to me.

No the rate is locked for the 2 years. After the 2yr period, it can be raised. I'm not paying for a lock rate, I'm just agreeing to stay their customer for 2 years. I'm saving $24 a month.

That's $24 a month I can spend on stuff I find HERE, that I don't really need but just can't pass up because it's a HOT DEAL!!!

I didn't save much at all doing the 2 year deal.

$125 per month for
-Internet
-Cable Digital Plus Package with a single DVR

Yeah, sort of stuck myself in North TX. Time Warner is also playing games with their offers. AT&T FIOS is stealing bandwidth by capping the max down (via their server S/W). They claim the 6 MB down is really 3-6, not 6. Beginning about the last few months, they have been slowly capping from 5 to 4 to now 3. The web pages are timing out while refreshing pages! If they are doing that, I am sure they are handicapping torrent activities.

WhiteBoi said: Yeah, sort of stuck myself in North TX. Time Warner is also playing games with their offers. AT&T FIOS is stealing bandwidth by capping the max down (via their server S/W). They claim the 6 MB down is really 3-6, not 6. Beginning about the last few months, they have been slowly capping from 5 to 4 to now 3. The web pages are timing out while refreshing pages! If they are doing that, I am sure they are handicapping torrent activities.

AT&T FIOS? Maybe Verizon FIOS?

Not a bad deal if you don't mind being stuck in yet another contract. I had called Time Warner up a few weeks ago and was offered a similar discount. Asked if they had anything that did not require a contract and they said no. Called back the next day and got a very similar offer with NO contract for $3/month more than if I had signed for 24 months.

With all the cable companies entering the marketplace and the competition heating up, better deals WILL come around and you'll have to pay a fee if you're locked into a contract at today's cost.

Note that usually only certain parts of your bill are price locked (generally the cable service itself and RR). They can, and do, still raise rates on things like set top boxes and DVRs.

You shouldn't have to sign a contract to get a decent price for cable service.

tiretiree said: WhiteBoi said: Yeah, sort of stuck myself in North TX. Time Warner is also playing games with their offers. AT&T FIOS is stealing bandwidth by capping the max down (via their server S/W). They claim the 6 MB down is really 3-6, not 6. Beginning about the last few months, they have been slowly capping from 5 to 4 to now 3. The web pages are timing out while refreshing pages! If they are doing that, I am sure they are handicapping torrent activities.

AT&T FIOS? Maybe Verizon FIOS?


No chance...you can't even get FIOS that's that slow. Must be AT&T U-Verse.

Dunno about cable as I have no need for it what with OTA, Streaming, and Usenet.

But TWC will always give you the best deal on HSI (6Mbps for $30/mo) no matter what so long as there's another broadband provider in the area. I've been on promos for about 2 years now, but I decided to give Earthlink a go instead of calling in this time around. They do 30 for 6 mo too, but with 5 GB of Usenet.

rbraden said: tiretiree said: WhiteBoi said: Yeah, sort of stuck myself in North TX. Time Warner is also playing games with their offers. AT&T FIOS is stealing bandwidth by capping the max down (via their server S/W). They claim the 6 MB down is really 3-6, not 6. Beginning about the last few months, they have been slowly capping from 5 to 4 to now 3. The web pages are timing out while refreshing pages! If they are doing that, I am sure they are handicapping torrent activities.

AT&T FIOS? Maybe Verizon FIOS?


No chance...you can't even get FIOS that's that slow. Must be AT&T U-Verse.

U-Verse it is. I understand it is fiber to my box on the outside wall and then I guess the rest is whatever. Spent >1 hour to find out the firewall was the cause of the slowdown. Strange, I have been using that for many years and don't have that issue before. Comodo is kinda hard to use at the beginning ..

drew2money said: No the rate is locked for the 2 years. After the 2yr period, it can be raised. I'm not paying for a lock rate, I'm just agreeing to stay their customer for 2 years. I'm saving $24 a month.

That's $24 a month I can spend on stuff I find HERE, that I don't really need but just can't pass up because it's a HOT DEAL!!!


I'm glad you're saving 24 dollars a month! But if they have to raise their rates on ALL customers, Price Lock doesn't make an exception for it. You'll still pay $24 less a month than you would have if you had not had the contract.

e.g. $125 service is raised to $135. By the terms of pricelock, you're paying $101, you would, under the new rates, pay $111 instead of the $135 everyone else WOULD be paying, even in the pricelock time-period.

This is my main beef about "price lock" because it's not really locking you into a price and not changing it, but locking you into a "savings amount off the regular price whatever it is".

Glad it's working out for you, but for the 6 bucks a month it might be saving me, I'd rather keep my options open as U-Verse should be in my area soon.

smeagle said: drew2money said: No the rate is locked for the 2 years. After the 2yr period, it can be raised. I'm not paying for a lock rate, I'm just agreeing to stay their customer for 2 years. I'm saving $24 a month.

That's $24 a month I can spend on stuff I find HERE, that I don't really need but just can't pass up because it's a HOT DEAL!!!


I'm glad you're saving 24 dollars a month! But if they have to raise their rates on ALL customers, Price Lock doesn't make an exception for it. You'll still pay $24 less a month than you would have if you had not had the contract.

e.g. $125 service is raised to $135. By the terms of pricelock, you're paying $101, you would, under the new rates, pay $111 instead of the $135 everyone else WOULD be paying, even in the pricelock time-period.

This is my main beef about "price lock" because it's not really locking you into a price and not changing it, but locking you into a "savings amount off the regular price whatever it is".

Glad it's working out for you, but for the 6 bucks a month it might be saving me, I'd rather keep my options open as U-Verse should be in my area soon.


Unless I was lied to, I'm locked in at 146.25 for 2years. The only rate increase I will see is at the end of the contract period.

who did you speak with I am with TWC in Greensboro NC as well.

Thanks
Rahimlee54

drew2money said: smeagle said: drew2money said: No the rate is locked for the 2 years. After the 2yr period, it can be raised. I'm not paying for a lock rate, I'm just agreeing to stay their customer for 2 years. I'm saving $24 a month.

That's $24 a month I can spend on stuff I find HERE, that I don't really need but just can't pass up because it's a HOT DEAL!!!


I'm glad you're saving 24 dollars a month! But if they have to raise their rates on ALL customers, Price Lock doesn't make an exception for it. You'll still pay $24 less a month than you would have if you had not had the contract.

e.g. $125 service is raised to $135. By the terms of pricelock, you're paying $101, you would, under the new rates, pay $111 instead of the $135 everyone else WOULD be paying, even in the pricelock time-period.

This is my main beef about "price lock" because it's not really locking you into a price and not changing it, but locking you into a "savings amount off the regular price whatever it is".

Glad it's working out for you, but for the 6 bucks a month it might be saving me, I'd rather keep my options open as U-Verse should be in my area soon.


Unless I was lied to, I'm locked in at 146.25 for 2years. The only rate increase I will see is at the end of the contract period.

This is indeed true. They can raise the prices and the end-result is what is described above. It's no different than cell companies changing the text charges or other fees while in contract...that just means you can get out of the ET fees and cancel the contract.

rahimlee54 said: who did you speak with I am with TWC in Greensboro NC as well.

Thanks
Rahimlee54


I don't have a name, just call into billing and asked to be transfered to the retention team as you are not happy with your bill and are considering canceling.

Haji said: drew2money said: smeagle said: drew2money said: No the rate is locked for the 2 years. After the 2yr period, it can be raised. I'm not paying for a lock rate, I'm just agreeing to stay their customer for 2 years. I'm saving $24 a month.

That's $24 a month I can spend on stuff I find HERE, that I don't really need but just can't pass up because it's a HOT DEAL!!!


I'm glad you're saving 24 dollars a month! But if they have to raise their rates on ALL customers, Price Lock doesn't make an exception for it. You'll still pay $24 less a month than you would have if you had not had the contract.

e.g. $125 service is raised to $135. By the terms of pricelock, you're paying $101, you would, under the new rates, pay $111 instead of the $135 everyone else WOULD be paying, even in the pricelock time-period.

This is my main beef about "price lock" because it's not really locking you into a price and not changing it, but locking you into a "savings amount off the regular price whatever it is".

Glad it's working out for you, but for the 6 bucks a month it might be saving me, I'd rather keep my options open as U-Verse should be in my area soon.


Unless I was lied to, I'm locked in at 146.25 for 2years. The only rate increase I will see is at the end of the contract period.

This is indeed true. They can raise the prices and the end-result is what is described above. It's no different than cell companies changing the text charges or other fees while in contract...that just means you can get out of the ET fees and cancel the contract.


Where are you getting this info from? That is not what I was told over the phone. I was told I was locked in, as is the same rate for the entire 2 year period. And what if they do raise my rates? I'll just cancel everything and move on. Until them, I finally got a discount that I have been trying to get for months.

My friend called in recently because his 6 month promo for 29.95/month with TWC was about to end and got it extended for another 6 months just by saying he was gonna cancel no contracts or anything.

I got off my lazy behind and called TWC and got the same 29.95 price for 12 months without any contracts, my promo price ended a while ago. Just call and say you wanna cancel and retention will give you this price no contracts should be required. Once the time is up just call again and repeat.

We are both in Queens NYC btw and we only have internet with them. I guess they can offer more discounts if you use more of their services.

I've seen that a lot of people seem to be paying quite a pretty penny for TWC.. which IMO is a piece of crap (I'd get something else if they allowed it in this complex). I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend and I have Cable (the 100 channels which is pretty much everything you'd normally watch) and the basic internet (1MBps I believe) for $49.95 per month. We also got a year free HBO and $5 per month for Showtime. Additionally, we have 1 DVR box (which will be upgraded to HD for free tomorrow because this one is screwy) which we get free for 3 months (and you can call back after that and ask for their new promo and it'll be free again). Our total including taxes and fees is $57.42 per month I believe.. I forget the exact change amount.

green14 said: Additionally, we have 1 DVR box (which will be upgraded to HD for free tomorrow because this one is screwy) which we get free for 3 months (and you can call back after that and ask for their new promo and it'll be free again).

What new promo? I've been paying $8/month for the HD cable box. It doesn't seem fair that even after the DTV transition, I'm still paying to watch the basic channels in HD.

WhiteBoi said: Yeah, sort of stuck myself in North TX. Time Warner is also playing games with their offers. AT&T FIOS is stealing bandwidth by capping the max down (via their server S/W). They claim the 6 MB down is really 3-6, not 6. Beginning about the last few months, they have been slowly capping from 5 to 4 to now 3. The web pages are timing out while refreshing pages! If they are doing that, I am sure they are handicapping torrent activities.

You can test your connection with Google's M-Lab:

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools

green14 said: I've seen that a lot of people seem to be paying quite a pretty penny for TWC.. which IMO is a piece of crap (I'd get something else if they allowed it in this complex). I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend and I have Cable (the 100 channels which is pretty much everything you'd normally watch) and the basic internet (1MBps I believe) for $49.95 per month. We also got a year free HBO and $5 per month for Showtime. Additionally, we have 1 DVR box (which will be upgraded to HD for free tomorrow because this one is screwy) which we get free for 3 months (and you can call back after that and ask for their new promo and it'll be free again). Our total including taxes and fees is $57.42 per month I believe.. I forget the exact change amount.

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but I'd skip on the cable offerings and up the download speed... 1Mbps sucks.

That being said, you don't need the complex to 'allow' anything. Federal law mandates that if DSL is available through the telco you can have it. If you want to install a SAT dish, you can do that too, so long as you mount the antenna in an exclusive use area.

nc3780 said: My friend called in recently because his 6 month promo for 29.95/month with TWC was about to end and got it extended for another 6 months just by saying he was gonna cancel no contracts or anything.

I got off my lazy behind and called TWC and got the same 29.95 price for 12 months without any contracts, my promo price ended a while ago. Just call and say you wanna cancel and retention will give you this price no contracts should be required. Once the time is up just call again and repeat.

We are both in Queens NYC btw and we only have internet with them. I guess they can offer more discounts if you use more of their services.


You had better luck then I did. My 6 months at 29.95 ended with Time Warner and I called to get it extended and was told if I paid the regular 50.00 for 3 months I could call back and get the current promotion then. They said if I wanted to save money I could downgrade. I told them if I downgraded I wouldn't have anything, suppose to have been 5 MB, but ran 2 to 3 most of the time. I switched to Windstream DSL, and for 45 dollars I get 12 MB service that actually lives up to the speed claimed and a limited phone that saves minutes on my cell.

For about $105, TWC gives me:
1) HD DVR
2) Free Showtime/TMC
3) 200+ channels
4) HD channels
5) Extended HD Channels? crap I'd never watch
6) Speeds reported by Google's M-lab:
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 1.87Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 18.88Mb/s
7) Digital phone - rarely use, but if I dropped it my bill wouldn't go down any so why not keep it

I'm on some odd promotion for the 15/2 speed that I dislike since it's only for 3 months. Not sure what plan I'm on since I was initially on PLG then I got out in the first 90 days, but they still think I'm on the hook.

I started a thread a while back for the purpose of sharing all of this information... FYI you can get a better deal from Time Warner without a contract.

Existing thread

drew2money said:
Where are you getting this info from? That is not what I was told over the phone. I was told I was locked in, as is the same rate for the entire 2 year period. And what if they do raise my rates? I'll just cancel everything and move on. Until them, I finally got a discount that I have been trying to get for months.


I have the rate lock for about a year now but they just raised my rate for about $5 more, I believe it has to do with increase in licensing fee. You will have to pay the early termination fee if you want to cancel and move on.

Oops. wrong spot

Don't forget that Time Warner cable is one of those companies that is "testing" download caps in certain areas. If you are locked into a price lock and then they start charging you more for excessive downloading that would not be good.

You can read more here:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5146985/time-warner-cable-to-expand-its-bandwidth-caps-to-additional-cities

It's in the "Price Lock" message that they play you and you must acknowledge before they can hook you up. It' still a hot deal if you're paying a good amount less, in my opinion, as long as you don't have any problems with TW, you're solid.

hakujin said: green14 said: I've seen that a lot of people seem to be paying quite a pretty penny for TWC.. which IMO is a piece of crap (I'd get something else if they allowed it in this complex). I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend and I have Cable (the 100 channels which is pretty much everything you'd normally watch) and the basic internet (1MBps I believe) for $49.95 per month. We also got a year free HBO and $5 per month for Showtime. Additionally, we have 1 DVR box (which will be upgraded to HD for free tomorrow because this one is screwy) which we get free for 3 months (and you can call back after that and ask for their new promo and it'll be free again). Our total including taxes and fees is $57.42 per month I believe.. I forget the exact change amount.

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but I'd skip on the cable offerings and up the download speed... 1Mbps sucks.

That being said, you don't need the complex to 'allow' anything. Federal law mandates that if DSL is available through the telco you can have it. If you want to install a SAT dish, you can do that too, so long as you mount the antenna in an exclusive use area.


I've thought about ditching TW for AT&T but then I would have to get a landline to use DSL. Also, my cable is already included in my monthly HOA so I'd be paying twice.

You are serviced by a different provider.

good deal

qcumber98 said: Also, my cable is already included in my monthly HOA so I'd be paying twice.
Ouch... I hate those types of HOAs... too invasive. do you live in an city/urban area?

i called in they gaive me 39.95 for cable with free cable box. better than the 49.95 + $5 i was paying for it after my promotional 29.95 +5 was over.

Skipping 23 Messages...
RR Inet, Dig Cable with 1 hd-dvr, and HBO locked at $103.23 including all tax fees here. Durham, NC.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014