Voting History
rated:

Fujitronic FA-1200 Portable Air Conditioner
Disclaimer

Fujitronic FA-1200 Control Panel
Disclaimer

Fujitronic FA-1200 Remote Control
Disclaimer
BigLots.com has the Fujitronic FA-1200 Portable Air Conditioner for $300.00 with shipping adding another $30.00 or so. This sells most anywhere else for $499 not including shipping.

Features:
* 12000 BTU cooling power
* Dual hose operation for quicker cool down
* Remote control
* 3 mode control (fan, cool, dehumidifier)
* 3 fan speeds
* Thermostat controlled
* 24 hour continuous programmable timer
* Removes moisture for personal comfort
* Washable air filter collects large dust particles and prevents bacteria build-up
* Oscillating air discharge louvered vents
* Casters for easy mobility
* Noise level is 52 dB
* Consumes 1300W of power
* Requires 120V/60Hz power
* R22 refrigerant
* Window kit included for venting
* Available only in white
* Manufacturer 1 year limited warranty
* Amps: 10.5
* Weight: 90.2 pounds
* Unit Dimension: 17.14"W x 14.97"D x 30.93”H

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you MUST use a portable AC, be prepared for: noise, cable and hoses and high electric bills - portable ACs are VERY inefficient - SEER about 5~6

I was looking at one (Friedrich) that has an EER of 9.4. Of course, it is not $300 either. The split zone is better if you can budget the installation and investment, but no longer portable.

so this isn't a good deal?

As for efficiency, I want to use this in my master bed room and cover the upstairs. My townhouse is 1300 sq ft and the ac unit is back from 1985. So doesn't it make more sense to use a portable one now for the upstairs until I can afford a new ac/heating system? Doesn't make sense for me to be cooling the whole house when I mostly use the upstairs.

hostar said: so this isn't a good deal?

As for efficiency, I want to use this in my master bed room and cover the upstairs. My townhouse is 1300 sq ft and the ac unit is back from 1985. So doesn't it make more sense to use a portable one now for the upstairs until I can afford a new ac/heating system? Doesn't make sense for me to be cooling the whole house when I mostly use the upstairs.
Actually, this is a good deal, if you need a portable AC unit. When I did phone room installs, we would use a similar unit (actually one that cost quite a bit more) to cool the "closet" down.

For your purposes, you want to look at units that would be more efficient and quieter. Look at the "Energy Star" rated units at Wal-Mart for some examples.

AC Units at Wal-Mart
5,200 BTU Haier Energy Star® Window Air Conditioner With Remote
12,000 BTU Haier Energy Star® Window Air Conditioner With Remote

This is actually one of the few portable AC's that make any sense, since it HAS TWO HOSES. Single hose AC units are very very stupid, because they end up pulling in warm air from the outside into other portions of the house.

Indeed dual hose makes a WORLD of difference! I didn't expect that when I saw the ad, so I just blew it off.

It would still be noisy, cumbersom and overall less desirable than a simple window unit - but this one should actually work. BTW that dual hose system would take it back up to an EER of 9.2 vs. roughly half that with most portables.

Edit - BTW I should add that there was a huge push back during the 1980s toward efficient window air conditioners, so don't write off any 1980s era unit off as a power guzzler. The real guzzlers were in the 1960s through the 1970s. I had a 16,000 BTU Frigidaire made Wards (Signature) unit that had an EER of 5!!! The China made 18,000 BTU GE that replaced it is over 10.

just ordered one, thanks op!

hope it's a good one. i need one in the garage for working out during the summer in the FL heat. i don't really care about noise or anything, I just want some cool air.

I'm not really worried about noise, unless it is like a jack hammer going off at night. But I can't put window units in because HOA won't allow it.....

Looks like I am going to try and order it.

anyone receive their unit? i got mine a few days ago and the box was all beat up. i opened the box and the plastic housing on the top of unit was kinda popped up and out of place, and one of the air vents is broke. i haven't hooked up the intake/exhaust vents yet, but it doesn't seem to work all that great.

does anyone know if there's like a timeout on when the air conditioning can shut off and then restart? i was going through some of the settings (auto, fan, cooling, etc) and on cooling it kinda seems like it's cooling off a little bit and then once it switches to a different mode and the 'air conditioning' part turns off, it wont turn back on again, just the fans stays on. i waited a good 5 or 10 mins and it never started cooling. i worked on some other stuff and came back to it later and when i turned it on cooling and bumped the thermostat way down it seemed to blow out cooler air, but it's nowhere near as cold as window units I've felt in the past. also there doesn't seem to be any air movement in either of the intake/exhaust ports on the back. the goal is to cut a couple holes in the block wall of my garage and port these outside vents outside so I can cool off my garage for summer workouts. it just seems kinda weird that there's like no air flow whatsoever from these vents though.

i read the owners manual but didn't find anything useful. i also pulled the lower drain plug and verified it was empty (manual said it would stop cooling once it was full of water).

anyone have any insight? i really dont know if this unit is defective or not. in hindsight, i wish i would have just waited a little longer and picked up a unit locally at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. im sure shipping would be outrageous on returning this, unless it is defective and then it should be covered...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014