• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link To TD Deal

Just ordered one. The shipping is $27.99 to NY but the CashBack ($24) just about makes it free shipping. I called and tried to get the shipping reduced but because the box weights in at 30# the ans was NO! But dont let stop you from trying. Refurbished means 90day warrenty.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

need separate audio cables, can't accept via hdmi. not a bad deal though.

Greygooser said: need separate audio cables, can't accept via hdmi. not a bad deal though.

I noticed that but you get into big $$$ to get this feature but the unit does have digital sound.

Denon AVR-688 7.1 Channel Independent Zone
Home Theater Receiver (Refurbished)
The AVR-688 surround sound receiver is network ready and can integrate into a home networked system when used with the optional ASD-3W/3N iPod docks, allowing more sources for playback then ever before. HDMI v1.3a video switching has been employed for today's demanding HD sources providing rich color quality for 1080p signals. Digital audio is distributed by either optical or coaxial connections to high speed surround processing circuits, for premium quality Dolby Digital and dts Digital decoding. Seven high current style amplifiers are used in the AVR-688 to deliver clean clear performance for unmatched sound quality from your DVD or set top box digital devices. Analog video up conversion makes switching various types of analog video signals easy, as duplicate wiring can be eliminated and signals channeled into one single component video output. Audio Delay is provided to allow for exact matching of audio and video signals when signal delays occur from some audio video sources. Our newly styled pre-programmed remote control provides ease of use for the newcomer, or enhanced use for the seasoned user.

The Latest HD Video Support
HDMI 1.3a switiching
Deep Color up to 36-bit and xvYCC broader color space support
Discrete devices for ultimate HD video performance in each block
10bit video encoder and decoder
1080p video pass through
MultEQ Auto setup and Room EQ
New tower type microphone for more accurate measuring
Up to six measurement points
High level resolution filters for satellite speakers and also subwoofer
Denon Design Solutions for Maximizing Content Quality
Indentical quality and power for all 7 channels, 110W x 7ch (6 ohms)
Discrete devices for ultimate performance in each block
New 32-bit floating point DSP
Minimum signal path design
Direct Mechanical Ground for stable drive
Dual power transformer
Denon customised block capacitor
Separate unit design
Compressed Audio Restorer
Denon's new audio technology for MP3/WMA/AAC compressed audio formats to reproduce higher frequency range and deeper bass sound.

What Is It & Why You Need It

A/V surround receiver featuring HD Video connectivity, that enhances your level of entertainment enjoyment.
Deep Color up to 36-bit and xvYCC broader color space support
Discrete devices for ultimate HD video performance in each block
10bit video encoder and decoder
1080p video pass through

Greygooser said: need separate audio cables, can't accept via hdmi. not a bad deal though.Exactly why it's sub $400. I don't think HDMI is worth the extra DOUBLE amount of money.

I have used Denon and Onkyo receivers that do coax and optical digital audio. The compressed digital audio in DTS and Pro Logic sound awesome if you ask me, and are well worth running the extra cables.
With that said, monoprice.com is your friend when you think buying cables is a big deal... it truly isn't.

I think the key is no HDMI audio - this unit has HDMI pass-through. Far from the end of the world.

This unit was $189 brand new @ Circuit City not too long ago. I didn't buy it because it needs audio cable beside HDMI.

mask said: This unit was $189 brand new @ Circuit City not too long ago. I didn't buy it because it needs audio cable beside HDMI.

Was this at the "clearance" sale as this is a very special price?

Denon makes decent sounding receivers. However at this stage of the game, I can't see buying ANY receiver that doesn't have Dolby True HD and DTS HD. It's a shame too, because there are a lot of good slightly older products out there.

brotherhpj said: mask said: This unit was $189 brand new @ Circuit City not too long ago. I didn't buy it because it needs audio cable beside HDMI.

Was this at the "clearance" sale as this is a very special price?

This unit as a refurb has been selling for $169 in various online outlets for the last few weeks, and recently went up to $199 at places like TigerDirect/CompUSA.

And one other thing, you have to wonder why there are so many refurbs out there. If you look at the online reviews you'll see that many of these have died within the first year or even the first few months of service. So much for the 90 day warranty...

WingsOverVirginia said: And one other thing, you have to wonder why there are so many refurbs out there. If you look at the online reviews you'll see that many of these have died within the first year or even the first few months of service. So much for the 90 day warranty...

I might be a fool but I've always been under the impression that the referbs get more attention and are tested more throughly then new ones making the DOA less likely.
Some have said they have seen these for $169...link if you have one, or are these the gray market guys Denon warns about? For me TD is no tax (NYS) and the shipping was sweetened by the live.CashBack. Plus from past experience TD has always made it easy to return an item... my last one was a 22" monitor and they even paid shipping!
The 90 day warranty is thin but I put this on my AMEX that extends the coverage to 180 days!

This would be a bad way to think;

1st...at lot of people are not doing have have no plans to go BD
2nd...If your main sourse is a PS3 you may still get these formats by having the PS3 do the processing (I'd have to double check that)
3rd...If your BD player has analog outs, you can get the newest formats by again having he source process it
4th...Lossless is a "nice" upgrade, but not the end all be all. You would have far more significant improvement in overall sound by getting this receiver and upgrading your speakers then getting some crappy receiver ONLY because it can process the newest formats. Heck, I might argue if you are using some POS HTiB or crappy Sony, this receiver ALONE would have a bigger impact on your system then simply going lossless with another POS receiver.

Remember receivers "don't have" lossless (Dolby True HD, etc). Some receivers have the ability to PROCESS the newest formats. But you can get lossless from receivers that don't even have HDMI. Some BD players can do the processing and have analog outputs that you could use. And again the PS3 has the ability to do the processing and feed the signal to a receiver. And it doesn't make a difference where the processing take place (the source or receiver).

Note: Edit: Far as I can tell the AVR-688 will NOT accept multi-channel PCM over HDMI. So you will not get lossless even from a PS3. However the other points made above still apply. This is a nice receiver at a great price.

Chudhole said: Denon makes decent sounding receivers. However at this stage of the game, I can't see buying ANY receiver that doesn't have Dolby True HD and DTS HD. It's a shame too, because there are a lot of good slightly older products out there.

brotherhpj said: WingsOverVirginia said: And one other thing, you have to wonder why there are so many refurbs out there. If you look at the online reviews you'll see that many of these have died within the first year or even the first few months of service. So much for the 90 day warranty...

I might be a fool but I've always been under the impression that the referbs get more attention and are tested more throughly then new ones making the DOA less likely.
Some have said they have seen these for $169...link if you have one, or are these the gray market guys Denon warns about? For me TD is no tax (NYS) and the shipping was sweetened by the live.CashBack. Plus from past experience TD has always made it easy to return an item... my last one was a 22" monitor and they even paid shipping!
The 90 day warranty is thin but I put this on my AMEX that extends the coverage to 180 days!

that was my thinking as well. until i had to exchange my refurb denon b/c it would not switch component inputs. with all these inputs and outputs i dont think it is hard to have one be bad in a refurb.

brotherhpj said: WingsOverVirginia said: And one other thing, you have to wonder why there are so many refurbs out there. If you look at the online reviews you'll see that many of these have died within the first year or even the first few months of service. So much for the 90 day warranty...

One or more of the original components are failing, probably due to a heat issue from a design problem. So you think that they are going to redesign the refurbs so that it doesn't happen again? No, they are going to put the same exact replacement parts into the refurb knowing that when it fails again it will most probably be past the 90 day warranty.

As for the $169 price, I guess you don't know about google???
Denon AVR 688 AV receiver from $169 at 21 stores
The AVR-688 surround sound receiver is network ready and can integrate into a home networked system when used with the optional ASD-3W/3N iPod ...
11 reviews - www.google.com/products

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014