• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Stolen fromSD:

Toyota Extended Warranties 1/2 price
I just saved almost 700.00 on a Toyota Extended Warranty. This is NOT an aftermarket warranty. The dealer where I bought my car wanted list price (1350.00 for 6 year 100,000 mile coverage). At that price I declined.

What I don't think is widely known is that you can buy an extended warranty from any dealer. It does not have to be bought from the dealer that you bought your car from. There are 2 who seem to be well know on various forums and have very aggressive pricing: Midwest Toyota in Kansas
(800-530-5789) and Greenfield Toyota in Mass(413- 772-0989). I'm sure there are others.

Toyota list prices can be found here: List Prices



For my car (Rav4) the 6 year 100,000 is listed at 1350.00. I purchased mine from Midwest Toyota for 654.00. Just a heads up for anyone buying a new Toyota and interested in an extended warranty.

Member Summary

Toyota (49.73kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I may be able to set this up from the Bay Area.

Curious has no dealer been receptive to these prices?

chinaonnitrous1 (Sep. 23, 2014 @ 4:59p) |

Just an FYI Toyota put in a new rule that you can buy a warranty from a diff dealer only if you have an address in that ... (more)

rhemphill (Sep. 23, 2014 @ 5:55p) |

verified today if car is totaled just call they will pro-rate and return portion 800-228-8559 (Toyota Extended Warranty)... (more)

sloppyjo (Oct. 28, 2014 @ 2:29p) |

Primary seller that seems to have the best deals. Many including myself have went through Jerry for their warranty and are happy. If you sign up for the Toyota card you will also get a 5% dealership credit.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is Purely YMMV

rated:
I don't understand the thinking here. Toyota, which should have faith in its products, or at least project confidence, charges extra to come close to the warranty offered by Hyundai and Kia?

Why doesn't Toyota just match Hyundai and Kia's class leading warranties at no extra charge?

rated:
Becuz toyota already has a huge market share and they don't need to offer it.

rated:
JesseLivermore said: I don't understand the thinking here. Toyota, which should have faith in its products, or at least project confidence, charges extra to come close to the warranty offered by Hyundai and Kia?

Why doesn't Toyota just match Hyundai and Kia's class leading warranties at no extra charge?


Because people are willing to pay for it.

rated:
oxymoron?

why do u need extra warranty when u buy toyota? its not like u are buying a GM or Ford

rated:
dkd711 said: Becuz toyota already has a huge market share and they don't need to offer it.



With Toyota resting on their laurels, VW is poised to pass them as the largest automaker in the world this year...

rated:
Extended warranties are like health insurance. Even though you feel you are healthy you still should get health insurance if you can afford.

having said that I actually bought a extended warranty looking at this SD thread for my 2007 Hybrid Highlander. This is the first time I am buying an extended warranty on any vehicle. In fact I have never ever bought an extended warranty on any applicance so far. I bought the 2007 hYHi warranty as I think I got it cheap for $619 for 7 yrs / 75000 miles for platinum plan with $0 deductible.

rated:
You don't seem to understand that Hyundai and Kia HAD TO offer a longer warranty if they wanted to sell cars in the US. They weren't exactly know for there reliability and they are not giving out this longer warranty out of the goodness of there heart! Don't kid yourself, these may be good cars but they are not a Toyota or Honda.


JesseLivermore said: I don't understand the thinking here. Toyota, which should have faith in its products, or at least project confidence, charges extra to come close to the warranty offered by Hyundai and Kia?

Why doesn't Toyota just match Hyundai and Kia's class leading warranties at no extra charge?

rated:
laxlaw said: Stolen fromSD:

Toyota Extended Warranties 1/2 price
I just saved almost 700.00 on a Toyota Extended Warranty. This is NOT an aftermarket warranty. The dealer where I bought my car wanted list price (1350.00 for 6 year 100,000 mile coverage). At that price I declined.

What I don't think is widely known is that you can buy an extended warranty from any dealer. It does not have to be bought from the dealer that you bought your car from. There are 2 who seem to be well know on various forums and have very aggressive pricing: Midwest Toyota in Kansas
(800-530-5789) and Greenfield Toyota in Mass(413- 772-0989). I'm sure there are others.

Toyota list prices can be found here: List Prices



For my car (Rav4) the 6 year 100,000 is listed at 1350.00. I purchased mine from Midwest Toyota for 654.00. Just a heads up for anyone buying a new Toyota and interested in an extended warranty.


just like you negociate the car price you can negociate the warranty too
i did it when i bought my armada they offered close to 3k for 6yrs/100k miles
i ended up paying $500 with out tire coverage and lower the interested by .75%

they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family

rated:
aren't most VWs a POS?

rated:
dkd711 said: aren't most VWs a POS?

According to CR, the Rabbit (now Golf) has an above average reliability record, the Jetta 2.5 and GTI are average, and the Passat 6 cylinder is above average.

The turbodiesel Jetta is brand new this year, so no data yet.

VW has completely overhauled its entire method of designing and incorporating electrical components in their cars, and even build many of their vehicles at the same plant in Dresden that they share with Audi (same company).

The factory in Pueblo, Mexico, which builds the Jetta, also got a complete top-to-bottom overhaul.

rated:
dkd711 said: aren't most VWs a POS?

Heck no, they are very good cars. I have a buddy that drives around in a 1988 passat with 190k on it. We make fun of him cause it is a way older car, but he loves it

rated:
Toyota quality has slipped a bit. I just had to replace the gear box/motor mount and dog bone mount/strut assembly and brackets on a 2003 Camry with 48k. That cost almost 4 grand. Thats not including the water pump and alternator at 30k, and the car has had 3 oil leaks. I have a 1999 Camry with 130k on it, and the only thing I have replaced is the water pump and the 2 belts, and the EGR sensor switch sides the spark plugs and wire assembly. It does need an IAC valve, but not worth spending $200 for it, since its only an intermintant starting problem.

Good price on the warranty. Im considering getting a Prius, and will definatly look into an extended warranty.

rated:
Maybe my car is an outlier. But I had my Corrola belt tensioner replaced after 20k under original warranty. This makes me thinking about buying an extended warranty.

Edit: it's a 2007 Corolla by the way.

rated:
ynotme said:
just like you negociate the car price you can negociate the warranty too
i did it when i bought my armada they offered close to 3k for 6yrs/100k miles
i ended up paying $500 with out tire coverage and lower the interested by .75%

they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family


You spent over 10 hours there and you think the dealer is the sucker? You didn't get the price you wanted. No one keeps you there for 10 hours to give into your price. With 4 kids (probably a fake picture to trick people like you) you want to stay away from home. I can't understand why you didn't leave after an hour.

rated:
JesseLivermore said: dkd711 said: Becuz toyota already has a huge market share and they don't need to offer it.



With Toyota resting on their laurels, VW is poised to pass them as the largest automaker in the world this year...


I had a Toyota back in the days (1994) when they were nowhere near being No.1 in the shape of an '86 Corolla AE86 - I'd still take a Toyota any day over a VW to be honest even if they drop to No.2

rated:
mlayu said: Maybe my car is an outlier. But I had my Corrola belt tensioner replaced after 20k under original warranty. This makes me thinking about buying an extended warranty.

Edit: it's a 2007 Corolla by the way.


A little bit off topic but may help someone

I have an 03 corolla matrix and these cars have a tendancy to squeal. I got a gatorback belt ($32.00) at advance auto parts and solved the issue. One of the mechanics said it needs a new tensioner and two others said it does not, as it has good tension already. Mine has been having this issue since 45k whenever it rains or is damp or humid outside and the belt is older than 10k miles. By the way, the new belt is very easy to install with 2 people and about 20 minutes of labor (if that).

rated:
Whatatay said: ynotme said:
just like you negociate the car price you can negociate the warranty too
i did it when i bought my armada they offered close to 3k for 6yrs/100k miles
i ended up paying $500 with out tire coverage and lower the interested by .75%

they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family


You spent over 10 hours there and you think the dealer is the sucker? You didn't get the price you wanted. No one keeps you there for 10 hours to give into your price. With 4 kids (probably a fake picture to trick people like you) you want to stay away from home. I can't understand why you didn't leave after an hour.


Maybe he had nothing better to do with his time than waste TEN HOURS at a car dealership?

rated:
with 2k under invoice and 5.95% APR with 630 credit score i don't think it was waste

rated:
is this valid on cars that are bought new but their factory warranties expired

rated:
VW worldwide does not equal VW Stateside. Big difference in that most other countries dont have the saftey and Env. specs req when a car is sold in the USA.
Europe, no catyl conv, Asia, hardly any req for seat belts or side inpact crash resist. It goes on and on.

I bought American for 15 years and wont do it again.
Yoyota, Honda or last ditch purchase a Mazda.
Sorry. I love my country, but until they make em like they do in Japan....
(Actually, I believe the Honda was made in canada).
and yea, I know some are made stateside now.

rated:
Extended warranties are the biggest scam perpetrated on mankind since religion!!!!!!!!

There's a reason why extended warranties do not cover after 100,000 miles... because statistically, that's when cars break down the most between 100,000-200,000 miles.

It would be like handing your mechanic a check and saying "In case my car breaks down.... but if it doesn't you can still cash the check"!!!!!!!!!!!! Dumb dumb dumb dumb!!!!!

rated:
YaThink said: is this valid on cars that are bought new but their factory warranties expired

any car with less than 3 yrs / 36000 miles is considered NEW for warranty.

rated:
Must be a slow day at the dealership.... lots of salesmen posting here.

rated:
1lossir said: Whatatay said:


Maybe he had nothing better to do with his time than waste TEN HOURS at a car dealership?


Did you bring your lunch and dinner there? What about bathroom breaks? I can't imagine you were there for 10 hours and yet this manager didn't handle anyone else too?! If that'st eh case I think you could have gotten the Armada for much cheaper. I thought they were giving those cars away.

rated:
I do not own a Kia or Hyundai, but what I HEARD was that with their long factoryw arranties, they require all the regular service intervals. I dunno if you have to do that service at the dealer, or just provide the paperwork. But, for example, they expect you to make all the "tune up" and other such intervals, and "Regular maintenance" is not fully covered, but IF you miss any of those, it voids the super long warranty if something bad happens.

I say to heck with that, AND extended warranties. I shop for the best price/quality midpoint and beyond that, I let the chips fall and usually come out ahead by a long shot.

I THOUGHT I had an issue recently when a repair place told me I had water in the oil and suggested I RUN and trade the car off. It was actually just my short drive to work not heating the engine enough. Not a real issue.

Then a few months later, I had the same place tell me that my alternator was bad and had killed my battery. (A battery I had bought from them not 2 years earlier). They wanted like 400 dollars to replace the alternator. The dealer wanted around 600.

I told them to replace my battery (fully covered), and I'd change the alt. Well, 2 months later, I'm still running the alternator, and NO problems whatsoever at all.

That was my LAST visit to that place.

However, I bet a LOT of people would have run and replaced parts and then complained it was a crappy car with no quality. The only crap was their crappy battery that I got roped into.

If it dies again like that, warranty or not, it'll be replaced with the biggest Interstate they can fit in that space.

Its a 04' Trailblazer btw.

rated:
i paid 540 for sienna extended warranty.. 7 yr/75k platinum coverage with 0 deductible, 6 months ago.

rated:
As others have said, extended warranties are negotiable, and you should be able to expect to get at least 50% off.

rated:
Why do Toyota owners need an extended warranty anyways??

Toyotas come with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty already. So you're paying all that money for just 40,000 miles???? Sounds like a waste.

I mean you're already paying more for a Toyota than its competitors because of renouned reliability yet waste a ton of money on an extended warranty that you don't even need.

Cars of today do not break down in the first 100,000 miles! Even domestics, Hyundais/Kias can go 100,000 miles with no engine or transmission failures.

Now if the warranty covered between 160,000-200,000 miles then I say get it because that's where breakdowns often occur but no warranty company offers it because they know they wouldn't be profitable.

But it's always baffling to me why owners waste tons of money on extended warranty for the first 100k miles where major problems are almost nil yet drive without one after 100k miles when problems occur at a greater frequency.

rated:
Kobedagger said: Extended warranties are the biggest scam perpetrated on mankind since religion!!!!!!!!

There's a reason why extended warranties do not cover after 100,000 miles... because statistically, that's when cars break down the most between 100,000-200,000 miles.

It would be like handing your mechanic a check and saying "In case my car breaks down.... but if it doesn't you can still cash the check"!!!!!!!!!!!! Dumb dumb dumb dumb!!!!!


Disclaimer: I sell extended warranties

They are certainly not the biggest scam since religion; that title goes to the claim that there were once giant creatures called dinosaurs that inhabited the earth. Silly Darwinists.

Anyhow, there are plenty of situations where a warranty is a waste of money. A lousy adminstrator that fights claims, a powertrain-only plan with a capped payout on a Honda with low miles, or a contract that's overpriced and/or with more loopholes than my custom-made pants.

There are plenty of cars where, if you take care of them with regular maintenance, and put some money aside for repairs, you'll come out ahead versus buying a warranty; sometimes way ahead.

But there are also many situations where a warranty will pay off, and in various ways.

I sell a lot of warranties to euro car owners; tons of Audi, MB, Jag, BMW, etc. There are certain makes (Jag, Land Rover), and certain models within the makes (Allroad, S600, A8) where almost all of the people that bought plans from me will see payoffs WELL beyond their investment. There are many (especially Allroad owners and RS6 owners) where they have already been paid back in claims 2x, 3x, 4x only a couple of years into a 4 or 5 year plan. When you add to that the fact that the waranty can be transferred if you sell the car for only $75 (so you can sell it to the buyer of the car for $500+), it's not hard to see how sometimes they DO make very good sense.

Like anything else, it's not a black and white issue. Sometimes it is a smart move, sometimes not. And not sure where you got the "no warranties over 100K miles" info from, but I have tons of customers with coverage up to and beyond 150K, including some that buy 3 year/unlimited mileage plans at just under 100K starting miles. Yes, it's more expensive with high starting mileas as the risk of a major repair is much higher, but there are plenty of >100K mile plans available.

Bruce

rated:
Kobedagger said: Why do Toyota owners need an extended warranty anyways??For the same reason people buy the Performance Plan at Best Buy; "peace of mind".

rated:
Just to add to the OP, I purchased my extended warranty from Molle Toyota in Kansas City. Neil Hull handled the transaction and it went flawlessly.

Paid cash for a 2009 Sienna Limited AWD. The finance manager said "they had a fleet sale on the extended warranty .. regular price $2400 and on sale for $1200". What a crock of bull.

Paid less than half the price at Molle.

rated:
I just had a chat today with a guy at work about the warranty plans on cell phones. Its 6 bucks a month I think. He said he wouldn't consider NOT buying it. If his phone went out, he wanted them to replace it for free. (Well, they still hit you up for 50 bucks usually.)

I explained my position is that I've had my verizon service since 2001. I've never used a phone less than 3 years, I've never had the insurance. Anytime I changed phones was because I wanted a new one, NOT because it went out. After 8 years of service. $6 a month x 12m x 8 years = $576 I havn't paid them. If my phone died tomorrow, I'm WAY ahead of the game.

I also think "cc interest" is a term best reserved for when you're ready to instigate a fight....cause "dem's fightin' words!"

rated:
i got an extended warranty with my 2003 Toyota Camry I4. Thank God I did. I had the intake manifold replaced, the air Condition System fixed, all 4 window motors replaced, a mass air flow sensor replaced, a defective monochromatic mirror replaced, the Cd/Tape deck replaced, Steering Rack rebuilt, and some other sensor in the Charcol Fuel Canister replaced.

I paid $690 for the 6 year, 100k warranty when I bought the car, and I am definitely glad I did. Although, with this being my first toyota, I was disappointed at the amount of things that needed replacing.

rated:
1lossir said: Whatatay said: ynotme said:
just like you negociate the car price you can negociate the warranty too
i did it when i bought my armada they offered close to 3k for 6yrs/100k miles
i ended up paying $500 with out tire coverage and lower the interested by .75%

they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family


You spent over 10 hours there and you think the dealer is the sucker? You didn't get the price you wanted. No one keeps you there for 10 hours to give into your price. With 4 kids (probably a fake picture to trick people like you) you want to stay away from home. I can't understand why you didn't leave after an hour.


Maybe he had nothing better to do with his time than waste TEN HOURS at a car dealership?


I think that in ynotme's case, the ten hours would have been much better spent studying a third grade English textbook.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said: 1lossir said: Whatatay said: ynotme said:
just like you negociate the car price you can negociate the warranty too
i did it when i bought my armada they offered close to 3k for 6yrs/100k miles
i ended up paying $500 with out tire coverage and lower the interested by .75%

they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family


You spent over 10 hours there and you think the dealer is the sucker? You didn't get the price you wanted. No one keeps you there for 10 hours to give into your price. With 4 kids (probably a fake picture to trick people like you) you want to stay away from home. I can't understand why you didn't leave after an hour.


Maybe he had nothing better to do with his time than waste TEN HOURS at a car dealership?


I think that in ynotme's case, the ten hours would have been much better spent studying a third grade English textbook.

Chris.


Nice!!

rated:
The car sales are down 30-40% yoy . I was talking to sales man other day and he told it is the best time to buy new car in 50 years . Honda dealer in my town is giving 250K Warranty for no charge ( this is promo to sell the car ) . Honda is offering 0% APR and dealer is willing to beat any price by $500 . Don't be too excited about 1/2 price extended Warranty ( it can be free in this economy with new car )

rated:
manuvns said: The car sales are down 30-40% yoy . I was talking to sales man other day and he told it is the best time to buy new car in 50 years . Honda dealer in my town is giving 250K Warranty for no charge ( this is promo to sell the car ) . Honda is offering 0% APR and dealer is willing to beat any price by $500 . Don't be too excited about 1/2 price extended Warranty ( it can be free in this economy with new car )

That sounds like our goverment.......lose money now, to get a sale, even though it'll cost them more later. But who cares about later. LOL

Another popular one. Sell for a loss, but make it up on volume! Nice

Skipping 346 Messages...
rated:
verified today if car is totaled just call they will pro-rate and return portion 800-228-8559 (Toyota Extended Warranty)....getting $95 after 7/8 yrs (I had low miles)

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014