• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
SteelRain77 said: .

What's the point?

rated:
this should help offset the massive increase in insurance rates as cars with unintended acceleration will likely be rated higher very soon.

rated:
rigor said: this should help offset the massive increase in insurance rates as cars with unintended acceleration will likely be rated higher very soon.

on purpose? how fast?

edited after red - welcome dbdb, thanks for reading:
Nickname: dbdb
Message Posts: 18
Date Joined: Friday, June 8th 2001 10:11 AM
Average Posts Per Day: 0.01

rated:
W/ a hundred or so vehicles out of several million recalled, that's like a .001% increase. Huge! I dunno who could afford that kinda money.

rated:
Why people come here to thread crap on Toyota quality? Yes Toyota had limited number of UA cases and so did other car manufacturers, there is noting new here - UA started happening from the time cars were invented. If you look at proven UA cases in Toyota and any other car manufacturer per number vehicles sold, Toyota's numbers will not look any worse then anybody's else. While UA cases are rare Toyota really screwed up in listening to the customer and tried to shift the blame back to the driver, it is costing them dearly and they will learn on a long run. Did anyone notice numerous recalls and service campaigns from other car manufacturers that happened right after Toyota's UA cover up become public? Ford, GM, Honda ... just name it. Every one of these guys were covering up their issues and decided to act only in fear that they could become next media target. I myself own 2 Toyota's, one is 2.5 years old Highlander and another 1.5 year old Camry. Besides recall work on Camry cars didn't have any issues during my ownership. I got extended warranty on Highlander from Jerry only because it was first year production after redesign and it was under $600 for 7y/75K. If you on the market for a new car you'd be a fool not to look at Toyotas with all current incentives offered. Many people already realized that, Toyota sales 50% up for the beginning of March Text

rated:
lucky777 said: Why people come here to thread crap on Toyota quality? Yes Toyota had limited number of UA cases and so did other car manufacturers, there is noting new here - UA started happening from the time cars were invented. If you look at proven UA cases in Toyota and any other car manufacturer per number vehicles sold, Toyota's numbers will not look any worse then anybody's else. While UA cases are rare Toyota really screwed up in listening to the customer and tried to shift the blame back to the driver, it is costing them dearly and they will learn on a long run. Did anyone notice numerous recalls and service campaigns from other car manufacturers that happened right after Toyota's UA cover up become public? Ford, GM, Honda ... just name it. Every one of these guys were covering up their issues and decided to act only in fear that they could become next media target. I myself own 2 Toyota's, one is 2.5 years old Highlander and another 1.5 year old Camry. Besides recall work on Camry cars didn't have any issues during my ownership. I got extended warranty on Highlander from Jerry only because it was first year production after redesign and it was under $600 for 7y/75K. If you on the market for a new car you'd be a fool not to look at Toyotas with all current incentives offered. Many people already realized that, Toyota sales 50% up for the beginning of March Text

People probably come he to "thread crap", your words, "comment" another term, on Toyota quality because:
A. In this economy people need a release.
B. Toyota has a reputation for quality as did other car companies in the past, but probably let it slip and did those others, which may not now exist.
C. Perhaps most importantly, Toyota did not portray a sufficient sense of responsibility and plan for action to address what problems exist. Look to a company that manufactures a pain reliever for how it handled a situation outside its control in the past for a better way.

However, as said elsewhere, it might be better if we had a "sidebar" for the comments related to the topic, but not directly on the value of item in the title of the "deal".

rated:
Just a quick update...
Just purchased a Platinum 7/100K warranty for a 2007 Camry Hybrid from Jerry at Midwest Toyota for $999. The absolute best deal I could find!

rated:
Most of the issues are INTRODUCED by the dealer.
My VW passat had constant axle failures and dealer wanted to replace it every year. Took to another dealer and they replaced under warranty and had no issues after that.

two years ago I took my nissan quest to Bankston Nissan dallas to fix the plastic protective shield under engine (It was missing couple of pins). they wanted me to replace it , but I asked them to replace the missing pins that holds it. what they did was they removed few more pins and said I might have to replace soon. Went to parts dept got all the pins and took it to a local mechanic and install all teh pins. no issues since then.

After this issue I took the van to grapevine nissan . After every service I had to replace one or the other things( Wiper is torn apart etc). later they said breaks are bad and replaced it. Next service after that , they said they want to replace rear breaks (I did not know that they did't replace teh rear breaks) .

Took it another dealer and they said my breaks are fine and looks like they did not replace my front break either. Since then I put 20K+ miles and no issues.

rated:
They will always negotiate down the warranty price. I traded in my 2000 Passat for a Prius in January befoer the recall mess started. They talked me into a 7yr/100K/Platinum plan for about $1300. But that was after they started at $1700. I believe they claimed list was about $2300.

If people are now getting better offers that's good to hear. I can't say if it will be a great value, but it at least gives me piece of mind. I was spending 2-3K a year on repairs on my Passat. Drove great, but had every $800-$1500 problem known to man.

rated:
Toyota Simulator
LINK

rated:
dkd711 said: aren't most VWs a POS?

Maybe not POS, but definitely not very dependable over the long run! They are no where near as dependable and trouble-free as most Japanese cars.

Buy a VW/Audi only if you plan to get rid of it when the warranty expires, otherwise there is a
good chance you will be shelling out big bucks for repairs down the road.

Advice from someone who has been in the automobile business for over 40 years.

rated:
Paulaji99 said: Most of the issues are INTRODUCED by the dealer.
My VW passat had constant axle failures and dealer wanted to replace it every year. Took to another dealer and they replaced under warranty and had no issues after that.

two years ago I took my nissan quest to Bankston Nissan dallas to fix the plastic protective shield under engine (It was missing couple of pins). they wanted me to replace it , but I asked them to replace the missing pins that holds it. what they did was they removed few more pins and said I might have to replace soon. Went to parts dept got all the pins and took it to a local mechanic and install all teh pins. no issues since then.

After this issue I took the van to grapevine nissan . After every service I had to replace one or the other things( Wiper is torn apart etc). later they said breaks are bad and replaced it. Next service after that , they said they want to replace rear breaks (I did not know that they did't replace teh rear breaks) .

Took it another dealer and they said my breaks are fine and looks like they did not replace my front break either. Since then I put 20K+ miles and no issues.

doesn't your on board screen indicate the wear levels? i've had to have the power seat switch (may have gotten stepped on?) and the ash tray door (after it got detailed won't close/lock) repaired. thank god for loaner cars

rated:
PHISHBONE said: Who in their right mind would even consider buying let alone owning a Toyota in light of all that is going on with them at the present time?Anyone who understands the most basic facts about how a car works and how to put it in neutral?

I just got a great deal with 0% and a "free" 7 year 125K platinum warranty. It's a good time to capitalize on the paranoia.

rated:
I bought a 2009 Camry from Hertz Rent2Buy, did the math and bought a 6 yr/100,000 mile warranty from Jerry Johnson/Midwest Toyota for $749. (Buying the warranty was the easiest part of the whole car purchase deal. Jerry even called me on his "day off.")

rated:
Looks like someone wants this thread closed. My guess is the big bold promotions are an effort of a competitor to get this thread deleted. Stay on topic here. Jerry is listed on the quick summary and this thread is not devoted to him or Midwest Toyota. Yes many have bought his warranty and have been happy(including myself) but if someone else undercuts him and does better we will follow.

rated:
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Acura RDX. The dealer is offering $2238 for the extended warranty. It is an Acura certified used car. The warranty is (I think) 4 years/100k miles. I would appreciate any guidance, since I will be putting alot of miles on the vehicle.

rated:
WENDIRN said: I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Acura RDX. The dealer is offering $2238 for the extended warranty. It is an Acura certified used car. The warranty is (I think) 4 years/100k miles. I would appreciate any guidance, since I will be putting alot of miles on the vehicle.

way too expensive quote from this ripoff dealer...

rated:
I agree, but what is a reasonable amount?

rated:
WENDIRN said: I agree, but what is a reasonable amount?

Just guessing here but I'd say half of the dealer's asking price would be a lot more reasonable. But if you're looking for a more accurate (no pun intended) figure call another Acura dealer in another state and ask them what the price would be.

rated:
arribasn said: nippyjun said: I purchased the extended warranty from the dealer when i got my new car yesterday. Then i found out about this deal. I went back to the dealer today and filled out a contract cancellation form. Has anyone here done the same thing. How long does it take to get your money back from toyota financial?

Thanks.

If your car is financed, they will apply the refund of the warranty back to the principle of your loan.
yep, I charged it to my credit card but they still refunded the warranty cost back to the principle of my loan. Took care of a huge chunk of my loan...just gotta pay off that credit card balance before the 6 month no interest deal on the Toyota credit card ends.

rated:
I'd love to hear from anyone who actually gained considerable benefit from a Toyota extended warranty. I'm just trying to estimate the probability that buying this warranty will save me money in the long run. Don't we pay a premium for Toyotas and Hondas in the first place in order to reduce the possibility of circumstances that might lead to warranty claims down the line? If it were a Dodge, Chevy, Ford, <insert American auto brand here> ... it would be a no-brainer.

rated:
Not to completely answer your question, but I had a 99 Corolla and its transmission completely crapped out at 35,000+ miles (just under the warranty end). Then the engine died after 80K, after the warranty so I ended up getting rid of it for peanuts. So, yes, not all Toyotas are 100 percent perfect. That's why I bought an extended warranty. I can sleep easy, and that makes it worth it (to me).

rated:
marketingmike said: JesseLivermore said: dkd711 said: aren't most VWs a POS?

According to CR, the Rabbit (now Golf) has an above average reliability record, the Jetta 2.5 and GTI are average, and the Passat 6 cylinder is above average.

My 03 Passat (built in Germany) just sprung a valve cover gasket leak, and has a bad MAF and temp sensor at <60k miles; bought new; all maintenance done by the book.

Last VW for me.

And my 1998 is just about to 240k. Quite a few people I know are rolling past 300k with their early 90's models. I had a '91 that had the odometer broken at 199k.

If you want an A to B daily driver. Get a Toyota. I don't have a problem putting an hour or two into my car every month to make sure that it's tip top. Spent 1k on the suspension last spring.

Avoid the dealers and do your own work and VWs are great cars.

rated:
1lossir said: WENDIRN said: I agree, but what is a reasonable amount?

Just guessing here but I'd say half of the dealer's asking price would be a lot more reasonable. But if you're looking for a more accurate (no pun intended) figure call another Acura dealer in another state and ask them what the price would be.

They are in another state, but I was going to call the acura dealerships in my area. I was just wondering if anyone knew the "fair" price for the warranty.

rated:
I just bought an extended warranty (7yr/100k $0 dec) for a certified preowned 2008 Highlander Hybrid for $999 from Jerry...the local dealer where I bought the car wanted close to $1700.

I buy it to give me a good night's sleep. I already saved a boat load of money buying used (and at $9k below KBB value!) so the extra $1k I spent on the warranty didn't feel like that much. The certified preowned part already extended the powertrain warranty but its nice to have all the little stuff covered as well and with my wife driving the car, I want to get all the little stuff covered.

rated:
ford and gm reliability has been improve greatly over the last few years, not so much w/ chrysler. anyway, this is a good deal if you can get the warranty for half price, especially on the the Rav4, personally, i would not buy Rav4, very low reliability. camry quality seems to goes down too, we own two 07 camry, and we did not feel it's a solid car as our previous camrys, which we drove down to the ground.

rated:
Warranty has as much to do with quality as it does probability and statistics. Actually, extended warranties in general, is more of an insurance. Like all insurances, you are betting that something bad is going to happen and the house is betting that it isn't based on what they've figured out much it would cost for them to cover it and still make profit. So while buying an extended warranty on a Toyota might seem like adding insult to the sudden acceleration injury, it's not as bad as you betting you will die sooner and the house betting that you will live beyond the your terms from your term life insurer.

rated:
aiyanalunette said: I recommend using NJ Toyotaat www.1800autoland.com

I wouldn't buy a lug nut from those ripoff artists.

rated:
Plan came in handy (although I didn't buy this one from Jerry). A strut/shock went bad on our 2008 Prius right at about 45k miles so it was nice to be able to have the wife take it in and not worry about her getting ripped off.

rated:
IrfanPathan said: oxymoron?

why do u need extra warranty when u buy toyota? its not like u are buying a GM or Ford

because Toyotas are no longer the great, dependable cars that they used to be!!! I have worked in the automobile business for 40 years and
used to feel that Toyotas were one of the best cars made, but not anymore. In the past 10 years we have had lots of serious problems with
Toyota automobiles (bad transmissions, engine sludge issues, bad ECMs, etc.) My opinion is that Hyundais are as good as Toyota now.
Hondas are the best cars, dollar for dollar!

rated:
I preferenced (special) ordered my diamond pearl 2000 1MZ-FE 5-Spd Solara back in the summer of '99. I've now got about 172,xxx miles on her. The car was designed in San Jose, CA and manufactured in their Canada factory. No problems whatsoever and although i've invested another $10K (approx.) in aftermarket upgrades, I couldn't be any happier. I've performed routine maintainence on the vehicle, and it is still almost as clean as the day I picked it up from the lot. I didn't purchase any extended warranties and I'm pretty confident about Toyota. Japanese auto manufacturers have been especially successful (and will continue to be in terms of quality) in setting themselves apart from others due to their unique manufacturing culture. I vaguely recall listening to the rules set forth for each and every manufacturing day and also regarding the high-level training and education provided for their employees. This was during a trip up to their production facility in No. Cal about 8 years back. From what I understand, they are not shut down due to recent cutbacks.

rated:
5SpdSolara said: I preferenced (special) ordered my diamond pearl 2000 1MZ-FE 5-Spd Solara back in the summer of '99. I've now got about 172,xxx miles on her. The car was designed in San Jose, CA and manufactured in their Canada factory. No problems whatsoever and although i've invested another $10K (approx.) in aftermarket upgrades, I couldn't be any happier. I've performed routine maintainence on the vehicle, and it is still almost as clean as the day I picked it up from the lot. I didn't purchase any extended warranties and I'm pretty confident about Toyota. Japanese auto manufacturers have been especially successful (and will continue to be in terms of quality) in setting themselves apart from others due to their unique manufacturing culture. I vaguely recall listening to the rules set forth for each and every manufacturing day and also regarding the high-level training and education provided for their employees. This was during a trip up to their production facility in No. Cal about 8 years back. From what I understand, they are not shut down due to recent cutbacks.

The mid to late 90s was the peak of Toyota's greatness. I've got a '95 Camry with the same V6 as you and the car is just built incredibly well. I also have an '05 Camry and it's built well too, but it's had minor annoying problems like the steering intermediate shaft and the center console door not opening correctly. My gf picked up an '09 Camry and it's got a few creaks and the interior panels aren't lined up as straight as they used to be back in the day. I think the whole 'Toyota takes care of me, so I take care of them' factory worker attitude is slipping, so while I still believe they make a good car, they aren't exceptional like they used to be.

rated:
When I bought a highlander, my dealer (Toyota of Kirkland)gave me warranty quote of 7 yr/75K for 1220. When we search it on Internet and pointed this site with less cost they matched it , and gave me the same warranty for $670

rated:
04 Matrix with the SouthEast Toyota "dealer offered" fidelity warranty I paid $1000 for platinum
I have 65k on my car now... so far its been good... the warranty has paid for:
1) Factory Navigation replaced (that's a GM/Delco part in my Toyota)
2) Belt Tensioner

I'm fully expecting little things to break in the next year of the warranty. The car runs and drives just like the day I bought it, except for one nagging sqeak thats been there since 20k.

Would I buy the extended warranty again... probably not for myself since I do not mind getting my hands dirty. Would I buy it for my mother's 09 camry, probably. Since she can just take it to the stealership and have them deal with it, as opposed to being subjected to the money hungry quota driven cheats at the chain auto repair shops.

rated:
OT and perhaps silly, but will a Toyota dealership give an extended warranty for a Lexus?

rated:
6yrs should be a big problem for toyota

rated:
SirMack said:
I paid $690 for the 6 year, 100k warranty when I bought the car, and I am definitely glad I did. Although, with this being my first toyota, I was disappointed at the amount of things that needed replacing.

And yet, the continuing mantra here is to buy a used Toyoda or Honda because they are reliable, and everything from a US brand will eat you alive with repair costs.

The last new car I owned was a Plymouth Horizon. Replaced the battery at 13 months/ 53k. Replaced front wheel bearings at 75k and 125k (left at 75k and right at 125k, only replaced them once). Replaced shocks and struts at 70k, could have put that off for a while but handling had started to deteriorate. Replaced water pump at 100k. Replaced brake rotors and drums once, I forget when. Bought another battery around 200k. Had to replace a $40 part in the shift linkage around 200k when it rusted in half. Had to replace the muffler at 150k or so. Replaced tie rod ends, ball joints and control arm bushings at 150k. Replaced a rusted fuel line around 200k. Replaced timing belt at 75k and 150k, it never failed. Replaced boots on the CV joints at 125k as a preventative measure. Replaced alternator when it failed at 160k or so, never replaced starter. Replaced inside mirror at three years when it fell off the windshield and broke on a hot day. Never touched the inside of the engine or transmission.

Would a Toyota have done any better over twelve years and 232,000 miles? It was running fine, burned a quart of oil every 2000 miles, got 32-34mpg instead of the 35-37mpg when new. If I'd wanted to keep it past that point, I might have had a valve job done.

rated:
Extended Warranty is pretty much a SCAM in my book.

I bought extended warranty on my Corrola from the dealer about 10 years ago.
When I was in the 6th year, the sterring wheel started leaking.
Cost estimated was $400.
When I asked the dealer to fix it he quoted $700 and checked with my extended warranty.
he came back and showed that all (about 60 or so) parts that make up the steering wheel are covered EXCEPT the one that just failed.

GUESS WHAT?
Toyota and am sure other Mfgs. have statistics and based on that they EXCLUDE the parts most likely to fail in EXTENDED WARRANTY.
As a consumer even if I read a list of 60 parts that are covered I wouldn't know JACK.

So in short.....

EXTENDED WARRANTY even if you get for $200 is the money you are wasting on a SCAM.

This is my opinion and experience.
YMMV.

rated:
taxmantoo said: SirMack said:
I paid $690 for the 6 year, 100k warranty when I bought the car, and I am definitely glad I did. Although, with this being my first toyota, I was disappointed at the amount of things that needed replacing.

And yet, the continuing mantra here is to buy a used Toyoda or Honda because they are reliable, and everything from a US brand will eat you alive with repair costs.

The last new car I owned was a Plymouth Horizon. Replaced the battery at 13 months/ 53k. Replaced front wheel bearings at 75k and 125k (left at 75k and right at 125k, only replaced them once). Replaced shocks and struts at 70k, could have put that off for a while but handling had started to deteriorate. Replaced water pump at 100k. Replaced brake rotors and drums once, I forget when. Bought another battery around 200k. Had to replace a $40 part in the shift linkage around 200k when it rusted in half. Had to replace the muffler at 150k or so. Replaced tie rod ends, ball joints and control arm bushings at 150k. Replaced a rusted fuel line around 200k. Replaced timing belt at 75k and 150k, it never failed. Replaced boots on the CV joints at 125k as a preventative measure. Replaced alternator when it failed at 160k or so, never replaced starter. Replaced inside mirror at three years when it fell off the windshield and broke on a hot day. Never touched the inside of the engine or transmission.

Wife had an Avenger and blew the head gasket at 50k ($800 bill covered by warranty) I would never drive a current or modern Dodge/Chrysler without one. Toyota Care is pretty good for the price that Jerry sells it at and would retain some value during a resale if you had to. For $900 on a $17000 auto I think I can handle it. Its all the pollution control and intricate systems in every car that you have to worry about these days but Toyota knows how to manufacture and actually consult for hospitals and other business on how to be more efficient in a controlled manner. I don't think anyone from Dodge or GM are going to try to tell others how to run a business, not without a good laugh at least. They didn't deserve their bailouts.

Would a Toyota have done any better over twelve years and 232,000 miles? It was running fine, burned a quart of oil every 2000 miles, got 32-34mpg instead of the 35-37mpg when new. If I'd wanted to keep it past that point, I might have had a valve job done.

rated:
Jerry does Lexus as well, correct??

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014