• filter:
  • 1678 9 10
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

No, they are not POS, but as someone who has 40 years of experience in the automobile business I can say with certainty that VW is nowhere near the quality of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru or even Mazda. In my business as a wholesale buyer I look at 6000-7000 vehicles each week and I know which cars hold up and which ones break down more often. Yes, how a car is maintained and driven plays a big role in how long a car will last, but if all things are equal the VW is much more likely to have problems than most Japanese brands. The same holds true for BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles when compared to Lexus and Infiniti. Lots more problems with the German vehicles, and very expensive to maintain properly (for example I was told by a BMW service person this past week that some new BMW vehicles can cost $5000-6000 to repair if there is a fuel pump failure!). Of course, if you trade your vehicle every couple of years or when the warranty is up, then none of this really matters, but if you want to drive your new vehicle for 100,000, 200,000, or 300,000 miles then your best choices is one the 4 brands I refer to above.

rated:
rcglfr said:   dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

No, they are not POS, but as someone who has 40 years of experience in the automobile business I can say with certainty that VW is nowhere near the quality of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru or even Mazda. In my business as a wholesale buyer I look at 6000-7000 vehicles each week and I know which cars hold up and which ones break down more often. Yes, how a car is maintained and driven plays a big role in how long a car will last, but if all things are equal the VW is much more likely to have problems than most Japanese brands. The same holds true for BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles when compared to Lexus and Infiniti. Lots more problems with the German vehicles, and very expensive to maintain properly (for example I was told by a BMW service person this past week that some new BMW vehicles can cost $5000-6000 to repair if there is a fuel pump failure!). Of course, if you trade your vehicle every couple of years or when the warranty is up, then none of this really matters, but if you want to drive your new vehicle for 100,000, 200,000, or 300,000 miles then your best choices is one the 4 brands I refer to above.

Honda, Toyota - Yes. Suby - Crap shoot.

rated:
followed the link, but I don't see the price chart.

rated:
ImagineNoHell said:   followed the link, but I don't see the price chart.
original post was back in 2009...things have changed.

rated:
miteshm said:   I have also purchased my warranty through Jerry. I was shopping around while deciding to purchase it and hence I am on mailing list of another dealer and they sent me following mail today.
/
I must regretfully inform you, however, that Toyota Financial Servicesí new rules and regulations prevent all Toyota dealerships nationwide from marketing and selling the ExtraCare product online and permit dealers to only sell to in-state customers (in our case, this is Massachusetts).
/
Looks like the dealer cartel is trying to close this route
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130617/RETAIL02/306179966/toyo...

That sucks -- hopefully Honda doesn't do the same thing

Funny how they mention they didn't want to have problems with state regulations as the excuse when there hasn't been any problems in the previous years -- I know there's a state or 2 that has state laws where they have to buy within the state (which online warranty dealers were following), but the rest of the states don't care

rated:
I had already purchased my vehicle from Herb Chambers in Boston when I came across this thread. One call to Scott Doherty at Acton Toyota and call back to Herb Chambers to match the price saved me $900 total on my extended warranty and ToyotaCare prices. Thanks OP! BTW, Scott mentioned that Toyota no longer allows him to sell the warranties "out of state".

rated:
Yes, I read about it in the news. They don't let them sell out of state, which is sad because they are missing out on a lot of customers that they could have gotten from online search. I know that there are a lot of other extended warranty companies that sell warranties nationwide and most of them get their business online. I believe that companies/websites like auto warranty headquarters or 5 star warranty do business solely online. I don't see why it would be a good idea to restrict sales out of states. Do you have an explanation? I know that many people were upset about it.

rated:
miteshm said:   I must regretfully inform you, however, that Toyota Financial Servicesí new rules and regulations prevent all Toyota dealerships nationwide from marketing and selling the ExtraCare product online and permit dealers to only sell to in-state customers (in our case, this is Massachusetts).I suspect that Toyota Financial Services internally calls it the "Jerry Johnson Rule".

rated:
johnm23 said:   Do you have an explanation? I know that many people were upset about it.Few dealers first started selling it online to offer customers a cheap price since they believed that extended warranties shouldn't be that overpriced and people should be able to buy it for a reasonable price ($50-$200 above dealer cost, not $500-$1500 above cost). Other dealers complained so the dealers that were selling warranties online were hit with a lawsuit by Toyota (I think few other car companies like Honda did the same) telling them that they couldn't sell it online -- those dealers switched to the buy over email/phone model which they've been doing for the past few years (you can request a quote online or by email, but they can't accept online payment so they do it by phone or regular mail)

Now that more dealers are complaining about losing warranty sales to online dealers and not making enough money, Toyota put in the state restriction in the latest warranty contract. Its not about the customer, its to make majority of the dealers happy -- their excuse was to avoid problems with state regulations, but that's a lie

You can still shop around within your state to try and find the lowest price, but it won't be as cheap as before. Those online dealers were volume sellers so they got better wholesale pricing than what your local dealer could get, but now that they can't sell as many as before they'll also have to increase prices (they'll probably still only charge $50-$100 over their cost)

We need to find out what the dealers need as proof of address for warranty sales -- if they just need any in-state address without verifying then you might be able to buy a warranty out of state using a friends/relatives address (warranty is still good nationwide so it shouldn't matter where you buy it)

rated:
I didn't see list prices off that link in op, but I paid $1,635 for 6 year/100,000 mile on a 2013 Prius 4. Not sure if I even need the warranty on a Prius, they seem to be super reliable, but the last vehicle I had was a Chrysler Town & Country that I purchased used with extended warranty from CarMax, paid around $1,200 for that warranty and had over $8,000 in claims. Two, yes two, air conditioning compressors, steering column, power seat, 2 power windows, power side mirror... there was more I can't even recall... what a nightmare POS that vehicle was.

Warranty was a blessing on the Chrysler, but I'm wondering if I really need it on the Prius...

rated:
WetWilly said:   miteshm said:   I must regretfully inform you, however, that Toyota Financial Servicesí new rules and regulations prevent all Toyota dealerships nationwide from marketing and selling the ExtraCare product online and permit dealers to only sell to in-state customers (in our case, this is Massachusetts).I suspect that Toyota Financial Services internally calls it the "Jerry Johnson Rule".

I do not live in Kansas and I bought an extended warranty from him 2 weeks ago. Great price! Guess I got in just under the wire.

rated:
Toyota Extended Warranty Thru Jerry at Toyota Superstore out of Kansas 620-662-6631. This is the real deal, just purchased 5/125 platinum Toyo Warranty for $874 on my 2013 Prius C, I'm out of Orlando FL. Great deal, thanks Jerry!

rated:
rcglfr said:   dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

No, they are not POS, but as someone who has 40 years of experience in the automobile business I can say with certainty that VW is nowhere near the quality of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru or even Mazda.

Consumer Reports has ranked Mazda higher in reliability than either Honda or Toyota as of the date they published their April 2013 Annual Auto Edition, and that ranking includes data compiled and just now recently tabulated for model years several years old, also.

Lexus is ranked highest, but:

"Just off Lexus' pace are two smaller makes, Subaru & Mazda...Mazdas are among the most reliable cars."

Both Mazda and Subaru are now ranked higher in terms of reliability and overall than Toyota, Acura, Honda, Scion, Infinity, Nissan...

rated:
JesseLivermore said:   rcglfr said:   dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

No, they are not POS, but as someone who has 40 years of experience in the automobile business I can say with certainty that VW is nowhere near the quality of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru or even Mazda.

Consumer Reports has ranked Mazda higher in reliability than either Honda or Toyota as of the date they published their April 2013 Annual Auto Edition, and that ranking includes data compiled and just now recently tabulated for model years several years old, also.

"Just off Lexus' pace are two smaller makes, Subaru & Mazda...Mazdas are among the most reliable cars."

Both Mazda and Subaru are now ranked higher in terms of reliability and overall than Toyota, Acura, Honda, Scion, Infinity, Nissan...

I had A LOT of issues with my Mazda MPV. I don't know what was wrong and so did the dealership. (the car had unexplained engine cut off issue)

I now try to avoid Mazda because of it. (also, hose leak fixed under warranty, Ignition coil replaced twice under warranty, break rotor swapped out due to it warped out in first 5k miles) For my 2 Hondas and 1 Toyota COMBINED, I only had steering wheel pump replaced and that was it under warranty.

Mazda more reliable than Honda/Toyota? I am unsure - maybe I am unlucky or Mazda really pulled them selves up in recent years.

rated:
Stranger2 said:   JesseLivermore said:   rcglfr said:   dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

I had A LOT of issues with my Mazda MPV. I don't know what was wrong and so did the dealership. (the car had unexplained engine cut off issue)

I now try to avoid Mazda because of it. (also, hose leak fixed under warranty, Ignition coil replaced twice under warranty, break rotor swapped out due to it warped out in first 5k miles) For my 2 Hondas and 1 Toyota COMBINED, I only had steering wheel pump replaced and that was it under warranty.

Mazda more reliable than Honda/Toyota? I am unsure - maybe I am unlucky or Mazda really pulled them selves up in recent years.

I have had the opposite experience as you, having zero problems with 3 Mazdas I've owned, yet having transmission failures and oil sludging and motor seizure issues with 2 Toyotas (the infamous and massive oil sludge leading to seized pistons in various 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Toyotas).

The MPV wasn't Mazda's most reliable vehicle, anyway, IIRC, and more importantly, both of us are relaying anecdotal experiences.

Consumer Reports now has solid, hard data to confirm what many have suspected for years; Toyota's quality control and reliability have slipped dramatically I'm the last 4 years+, while Mazda & Subaru have steadily and methodically risen to the top of the reliability apex.

rated:
How come you can post information about dealer and this deal but when I posted something about Mercedes extended warranty it was deleted? I'm confused...

rated:
There's a clue behind you. You should pick it up.

rated:
HondaCare extended warranty is still available online. I purchased an 8year/120K mile/$0 deductible for my new 2013 Accord for $1075 from Hyannis Honda. I live in Maryland.

rated:
I'm a big believer in purchasing the manufacturers extended warranties if only to offset the cost of the likelihood of some electronic failure. With the number of advanced electronics in today's cars, a single failure outside of the manufacturers warranty period could make it worth your while. I understand the thinking behind many here who consider it a scam and unnecessary expense, but if you consider the cost of these plans if you truly get them at 50% off, then in many cases you are really looking at a small amount for a large amount of peace of mind -and that's what you are really buying.

rated:
ViveLeRoi said:   I'm a big believer in purchasing the manufacturers extended warranties if only to offset the cost of the likelihood of some electronic failure. With the number of advanced electronics in today's cars, a single failure outside of the manufacturers warranty period could make it worth your while. I understand the thinking behind many here who consider it a scam and unnecessary expense, but if you consider the cost of these plans if you truly get them at 50% off, then in many cases you are really looking at a small amount for a large amount of peace of mind -and that's what you are really buying.

yes, I did the same (purchasing an discounted extended warranty). Also, I purchased the tire certificates from discount tires for the peace of mind on a new car. Three out of the last 4 tires were replaced via the certificates on my previous vehicle. The dealership would not replace the tire if there was an issue with the tire--they would make me purchase a new one. It was worth it for me to purchase the tire certificates on my new car -- they are way less than the cost of a new tire.

rated:
alexanderjw said:   WetWilly said:   miteshm said:   I must regretfully inform you, however, that Toyota Financial Servicesí new rules and regulations prevent all Toyota dealerships nationwide from marketing and selling the ExtraCare product online and permit dealers to only sell to in-state customers (in our case, this is Massachusetts).I suspect that Toyota Financial Services internally calls it the "Jerry Johnson Rule".

I do not live in Kansas and I bought an extended warranty from him 2 weeks ago. Great price! Guess I got in just under the wire.

Maybe Jerry is still under the radar somehow. That article seemed to indicate Toyota zeroed in on Acton.

Edit: From doing some reading, it would appear these guys are only limited to marketing the warranties across state lines. Some posts I've seen in various forums suggest if you were to stumble upon Acton's information, they could still sell to you, but no more banner ads on ToyotaNation.

rated:
From what I know, Acton can't sell the warranties online on a website like they used to. I believe many dealers can put a link about the VSAs on their website and have interested customers inquire about it like they do a car by emailing or calling them for a quote.

rated:
tjmix said:   Toyota Extended Warranty Thru Jerry at Toyota Superstore out of Kansas 620-662-6631. This is the real deal, just purchased 5/125 platinum Toyo Warranty for $874 on my 2013 Prius C, I'm out of Orlando FL. Great deal, thanks Jerry!Thank you for your post. I just bought a 2013 Prius today and the Finance Manager offered me the 6yr/100k Platinum Toyota Extra Care for $2100. I asked him to give me his best price. He hesitated then offered me the plan for $1250. I haven't picked up my car yet. I'll call Jerry and see if my dealer can come close to that price.

rated:
I normally wait until I get over the 34K mark, and still under 3 years, to buy these, no need to spend my $ until then, it's covered. Granted the price may go up by then, but is hasn't much...a few months ago got the 6/75000 from Jerry on my 34K mi. 2011 Sienna for just over $500...used it already after returning from the summer trips..for the crappy power doors on these vehicles..new switches and motor...got my money back already...

rated:
Does the extended warranty you purchased cover regular scheduled maintenance? The "Platinum Toyota Extra Care" brochure the dealer gave me does not mention that at all, but Toyota's website for the "Toyota Care Plus" specifically mentions regular scheduled maintenances covered:Major Services
Depending on the Toyota Care Plus plan purchased, your 30,000; 45,000; 60,000; and 75,000 mile services are covered"
I would be interested in the plan that covers the major regular scheduled maintenances. Does anyone know how much the dealer charges for the 30k and 60k scheduled services for a Prius? Thanks.

rated:
Extended warranty and Toyota Care Plus are two separate products. Extended warranty does not cover scheduled maintenance.

rated:
ejvyas said:   Extended warranty and Toyota Care Plus are two separate products. Extended warranty does not cover scheduled maintenance.Thanks for pointing that out. I somehow got the 2 products mixed up. I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to purchase the extended warranty for a 2013 Prius. I've been reading the Prius forums to see what owners think about the extended warranty.

rated:
momoman said:   ejvyas said:   Extended warranty and Toyota Care Plus are two separate products. Extended warranty does not cover scheduled maintenance.Thanks for pointing that out. I somehow got the 2 products mixed up. I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to purchase the extended warranty for a 2013 Prius. I've been reading the Prius forums to see what owners think about the extended warranty.

From my research, the Prius seemed to be one of the more bulletproof cars you can buy. On PriusChat, the number of people with 200k on their cars with few problems was impressive. I bought a 2013 last month and have no plans for a warranty.

In particular, if you live in a CARB state, you really don't need it. The hybrid components are covered for 150k miles. Those are your big repair bills, if they ever broke.

rated:
As of Aug. 13, 2013 this warrantee contact information is still good. I got a GREAT (50% Discount) on the 8 year, 100,000 mile, no deductable warrantee on our new Toyota Avalon Hybrid.

rated:
actionbag1 said:   As of Aug. 13, 2013 this warrantee contact information is still good. I got a GREAT (50% Discount) on the 8 year, 100,000 mile, no deductable warrantee on our new Toyota Avalon Hybrid.

from who did you get the warranty?

rated:
Jerry Johnson is the best of the lot.You cannot beat his prices and professionalism

rated:
Since some time has passed.... can dealers still sell discounted warranties to Toyota owners located out of state, if they are contacted via email or phone? Is it only the marketing that is restricted or are out of state sales restricted? Has anyone recently bought a warranty from a Toyota dealer located in a different state than they are?

rated:
gooddealie said:   Since some time has passed.... can dealers still sell discounted warranties to Toyota owners located out of state, if they are contacted via email or phone? Is it only the marketing that is restricted or are out of state sales restricted? Has anyone recently bought a warranty from a Toyota dealer located in a different state than they are?
† I am in Virginia and got one in late May.†

rated:
gooddealie said:   Since some time has passed.... can dealers still sell discounted warranties to Toyota owners located out of state, if they are contacted via email or phone? Is it only the marketing that is restricted or are out of state sales restricted? Has anyone recently bought a warranty from a Toyota dealer located in a different state than they are?
††
From another forum I read it seems like people are still able to buy them if they know the contact info for someone like Jerry here. †Jerry just can't go on Toyota Nation and advertise that he sells to people all over. †

rated:
Jerry! It's real/ My 7/125k ($1150)†on a 2011 Tundra 4wd had the transmission replaced free w/ loaner car.

rated:
Thanks! I really need to get this purchased. It's great to know that deals can still be had if I contact the dealers.

rated:
Wow Amazing. †††www.midwestsuperstore.com
†I just save over $1,000!!!! †I called my Toyota Dealer here in Florida and asked him for a quote for extended warranty( Toyota Corolla 2011) for a 100,000 miles and 7 years the price was $2,778 . †I decided to shop around and got an online quote for $1,928 with carchex ( which I was about to take) but when I saw this post I called the dealer in Kansas ( Jerry Jhonson) and wow I paid $850 for the same coverage and $0 deductible. †And I am getting the extended warranty directly with Toyota.†
I recommend the extended warranty if you plan to keep the car for a long time. †It does not matter the brand name. †It gives you peace of mind and at the end is always cheaper because you go directly to the dealers ( that charge more for everything).... I guess now I can go to buy myself some fancy dinner.

rated:
Stranger2 said:   
JesseLivermore said:   
rcglfr said:   
dkd711 said:   aren't most VWs a POS?

† That MPV? Yeah that was a Ford product in a Mazda shell.† Ever since Mazda broke from manufacturing with Ford, their quality has shot up.† They still share some platforms globally, but mazda is benefiting from their own committment to quality.

rated:
Has anyone been able to get the toyotacare plus extended coverage at a discount or is this deep discount only for extended warranties?

rated:
Took a while... but I finally followed through and bought a warranty from Jerry.
I just bought a 6 year/100,000 mile Toyota Factory Extra Care Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty from Jerry for my 2012 Camry for $749.

I'm very happy. Great experience, great price, easy transaction.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014