• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
polishdreamer said:   Jerry does Lexus as well, correct??

Yep

rated:
If under 36k/3year is considered new for these warranty, there is obviously no reason to buy these warranty before those lines right?

rated:
Steering wheels dont leak

Maybe your power steering was leaking, and if it's bc of a hose, hoses are rarely covered by warranties.

deallover said:   Extended Warranty is pretty much a SCAM in my book.

I bought extended warranty on my Corrola from the dealer about 10 years ago.
When I was in the 6th year, the sterring wheel started leaking.
Cost estimated was $400.
When I asked the dealer to fix it he quoted $700 and checked with my extended warranty.
he came back and showed that all (about 60 or so) parts that make up the steering wheel are covered EXCEPT the one that just failed.

GUESS WHAT?
Toyota and am sure other Mfgs. have statistics and based on that they EXCLUDE the parts most likely to fail in EXTENDED WARRANTY.
As a consumer even if I read a list of 60 parts that are covered I wouldn't know JACK.

So in short.....

EXTENDED WARRANTY even if you get for $200 is the money you are wasting on a SCAM.

This is my opinion and experience.
YMMV.

rated:
I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

rated:
bargainmaniac said:   I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

Did she say I know of the Magness vs. Moss act that states you as a warranty provider have to prove that the issue you are citing (bad tranny fluid) is the root cause of the issue or you have to provide the service. I would have contacted a lawyer and had them send a letter.

rated:
bargainmaniac said:   I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

How is that BS?

Thats like never changing the oil and asking is it BS that they will not cover the engine going bad. Warrantys require you to at least keep up to the basic maintaince in the owners manual.
If she did have it serviced ask them to prove it was the fluid and if so they will do so. But again it still falls back on her to maintaine the car.

rated:
Warranties are only as good as the company that offers them and the service provided who performs the warranty work.
The trouble with warranties - selecting a good company and and fair service provider from often limited "authorized" choices.
When Lands End was not part of a "holding company", "Guaranteed. Period", meant exactly that. Rare occasion to use the warranty, but no questions asked when needed. Timber land shoe/leather/now clothing company, from previous but not recent experience, is similarly responsive to solving any problems with its products.
See here here for an alternate.
Found Hyundai autos over manufactured over the last few years don't need much warranty work, but this based on somewhat limited hearsay. Expect that Hyundai is very successfully rebuilding earlier less than stellar reputation with emphasis on quality, value and its Hyundai Assurance plan (with long warranty) among other consumer friendly offerings and that the company is not likely to jeopardize the apparently fine reputation it has now built and continues to build. Suggest "she" try another dealer if one reasonably in the area and/or contact Hyundai America by phone, see it web-site, of necessary, postal mail to its CEO (heard he's getting an Equus).
Good luck!

rated:
DamnoIT said:   bargainmaniac said:   I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

Did she say I know of the Magness vs. Moss act that states you as a warranty provider have to prove that the issue you are citing (bad tranny fluid) is the root cause of the issue or you have to provide the service. I would have contacted a lawyer and had them send a letter.

DamnoIT sound like a lawyer, despite your screen name. Wonder how many in auto dealerships know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Yours is good suggestion. But unless she has a lawyer as a friend, she may be better modifying your suggestion, taking the info to small claims court as it could be less expensive.

rated:
I used to sell cars. I buy extended warranties for my cars. I only buy factory warranties, and I only buy from people like Jerry. The price and piece of mind can NOT be beaten. It's worth it for my piece of mind. And the cost is piddlywinks. Crazy not to buy one.

Third-party warranties should be avoided at all costs! Anyone remember Warranty Gold?? 'Nuff said.

rated:
well, i am really liking my new sienna and have declined the extended warranty when i bought my car, not having read the whole thread can i still buy the extended warranty now that my car is 6 months old?

fwiw it is a 2011 sienna SE

does extended warranty cover the hybrid batteries? i might consider buying that for my LS600H if the price is right

rated:

Your friend blew a tranny

rated:
I posted this a while back and the moderators deleted it because they thought I was advertising.

Anyway, when I bought my 07 Rav4 I got the toyota platinum 7/70 with no deductible from Toyota of Greenfield. Beat the local Nebraska price by $50 AND I didn't pay sales tax since I bought out of state.

rated:
oh yeah, BTW, toyota isn't the only company that allows this. We just bought an acura and looked into the same thing from Honda. They also allow dealers to sell warranties on vehicles sold by other dealers. The quote we got was significantly less than sticker, like a third.

rated:
STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   bargainmaniac said:   I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

Now that's funny

rated:
STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   bargainmaniac said:   I had a friend who owns a Hyundai Sonata. Her tranny went out around 70,000ish miles. The dealer declined to cover the warranty because they have no record of her servicing the transmission, like flushing and cleaning the filter. She was supposed to follow the "Scheduled Maintenance" in order for the warranty to be covered. Isn't this total BS?

Your friend should contact Hyundai corporate for assistance.

Does anybody know if there is someone like Jerry who offers good deal on the bumper-to-bumper coverage on Hyundai for the 6th to 10th year, to 100k miles to coordinate with the power train power train warranty for that period that comes with the cars?

rated:
HI, I need an extended warranty for a Toyota Highilander 2005 64k miles any suggestion Tony

rated:
Just got my claim paid hustle free. So happy with my warranty. Nation Warranty is the best choice, signing up for another contract once current runs out

rated:
Unless Nation warranty is a manufacturer warranty then I doubt it's worth the paper it's written on!

AjMolino said:   Just got my claim paid hustle free. So happy with my warranty. Nation Warranty is the best choice, signing up for another contract once current runs out

rated:
car sales are down, time for another odumbo cash for clunkers deal.

rated:
I am looking to get an extended warranty on a used (not certified pre-owned) 10 Camry Hybrid with 30K miles. Will they give me a hard time if I don't have the service records since I bought it used?

rated:
For the moron who posted they are not a Ford or GM product, therefore you don't need the extended warranty. Ford has higher quality products according to Consumer Reports, than both VW and KIA. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you make such statements. For the record most European cars are crap. Once you hit 80,000 miles you better find a place to unload them.

rated:
onavi said:    It does need an IAC valve, but not worth spending $200 for it, since its only an intermintant starting problem.

Good price on the warranty. Im considering getting a Prius, and will definatly look into an extended warranty.

You can clean the IACV yourself or pay a mechanic $120 to do it. Some carb cleaner, a toothbrush, and rags will do it. I just had a mechanic do it on a 2000 RX300 and it cured my starting problems. Very common issue on all Toyotas.

Regarding the extended warranties-- yes, toyotas are reliable vehicles, but they can have very expensive problems to repair. The thing is that I don't think I would spend more than $1200 or $1500 to fix the problems that could occur in the 40k-100k time frame (typical ext. warranty). Perhaps if I went to the dealer and paid full retail prices for my repairs, I could run up those repair costs, but I don't do that when i am out of warranty. I do some google searching and I don't mind getting my hands dirty so my repairs can usually be done for a fraction of what the dealer would have charged. The extended warranty is definitely good for peace of mind and that is valuable in itself, but I don't think I would save any money over the long term. If I had to guess I would suspect that most people may get $400-500 out of their extended warranties. I doubt they get anywhere near what they paid for it, which is why it is probably a losing decision for most consumers.

rated:
It's a hit or miss on extended warranty I bought it on my previous car and I had 2 claims first one was the radio $300 and power windows $950 and I paid $850 for the warranty my current vehicle I paid $1000 for the warranty no claim so far.

rated:
we bought a certified used rav 4 with 48 k miles last night. they tried hard to sell us a warranty. we did not buy it but decided to research it and forund this. Jerry was unable to help me

This is Jerry Johnson Warranty Manager with Midwest Toyota
And Midwest Superstore Hutchinson, Ks

Thank you for your request on the Toyota platinum warranty
I do the new car platinum plan your Toyota would need to be with in the
first 3 Years and 36,000 miles for me to do the warranty
But Toyota dose offer the used vehicle platinum warranty you would need
to purchase in your area I can't do the used plan out of Kansas
Please check with the dealers in your area on the warranty and please
stay with a Toyota warranty.
I wish I could be of more help.
Thank you
Jerry

rated:
Can someone talk about buying CPO used Toyota vehicles and the kind of warranties Toyota is offering? Its something called "Extra Care" and it has different levels. I bought a 2008 4Runner with 40k miles on it and they sold me a 8year 125k warranty for $1980. I think the 8 years started at time of sale to dealership back in 2008 though. Anyways, the only reason I added it on is because I can cancel it and get a full refund. My CPO already comes with a 1 year 12k miles warranty. If anyone has any input about this warranty or a better one please provide some input.

rated:
Is the same discount available for Lexus?

rated:
Just bought extended warranty on my 2012 Camry. Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota Superstore had a "Black Friday" special-$25 off his already low prices. $684 for 8yr/75000mi. Easy guy to talk to and great prices!

rated:
has anybody gottten a quote from both Molle toyota and midwest, it seems like these 2 are the cheapes on extended warranty

rated:
have you used the extended warranty? just kinda skeptical

rated:
toyotadave said:   You can get them very easily online. I got my warranty online from Acton Toyota, they were the lowest price, and it was by far the easiest to shop at. This is the only one I have found online where you can select the plan right on the website. If you go to www.warranty.actontoyota.com you can just enter your truck & miles and select a plan from the drop-down. I got an 8 Year/100,000 miles platinum for $1050 on my Tundra. Its the same plan you can get at the dealer (my local guy tried to sell me the same exact plan for $1875)

Call Scott Doherty @ 978-431-5853, he was my guy there, I got paperwork a few days later. 1/2 price & great people to work with. A+ SERVICE

-TD

I went to the website and got a quote too expensive, on the site they dont have anything over 5 yrs

Amount: $1030 | Selected Plan: ToyotaCare Plus | Coverage Terms : 5 Years / 75,000 Miles

rated:
man am i glad i bought the Nissan Frontier instead of the Toyota Tacoma, couldn't be happier with this truck!

rated:
This guy is a rip-off. Stay AWAY! Claims they are Toyota warranties when indeed they are not. I was told the whole time it was backed by Toyota and even after signing everything that had Toyota logos all over the place. I didn't even know until I brought my 4runner into the dealership to find out nothing was covered! I was sold an aftermarket warranty from Jerry that was NOT Toyota. STAY AWAY!! BIG INTERNET SCAM!! HE WILL MAKE YOU THINK ITS TOYOTA THE WHOLE TIME!! BUYER BEWARE!! PAY A LITTLE EXTRA AT THE DEALER YOU BUY THE CAR FROM

rated:
blabal said:   This guy is a rip-off. Stay AWAY! Claims they are Toyota warranties when indeed they are not. I was told the whole time it was backed by Toyota and even after signing everything that had Toyota logos all over the place. I didn't even know until I brought my 4runner into the dealership to find out nothing was covered! I was sold an aftermarket warranty from Jerry that was NOT Toyota. STAY AWAY!! BIG INTERNET SCAM!! HE WILL MAKE YOU THINK ITS TOYOTA THE WHOLE TIME!! BUYER BEWARE!! PAY A LITTLE EXTRA AT THE DEALER YOU BUY THE CAR FROM

What dealership do you work for? Do you have any proof these are not "Toyota" warranties? Please show us.

rated:
blabal said:   This guy is a rip-off. Stay AWAY! Claims they are Toyota warranties when indeed they are not. I was told the whole time it was backed by Toyota and even after signing everything that had Toyota logos all over the place. I didn't even know until I brought my 4runner into the dealership to find out nothing was covered! I was sold an aftermarket warranty from Jerry that was NOT Toyota. STAY AWAY!! BIG INTERNET SCAM!! HE WILL MAKE YOU THINK ITS TOYOTA THE WHOLE TIME!! BUYER BEWARE!! PAY A LITTLE EXTRA AT THE DEALER YOU BUY THE CAR FROM

Just registered today to make this post???? Hmmmm

My extended warranty is about to expire ( I have used it 4 times total savings over $2500) anyone know where and if I can buy another Toyota warranty??

rated:
MNFRUGALSHOPPER said:   blabal said:   This guy is a rip-off. Stay AWAY! Claims they are Toyota warranties when indeed they are not. I was told the whole time it was backed by Toyota and even after signing everything that had Toyota logos all over the place. I didn't even know until I brought my 4runner into the dealership to find out nothing was covered! I was sold an aftermarket warranty from Jerry that was NOT Toyota. STAY AWAY!! BIG INTERNET SCAM!! HE WILL MAKE YOU THINK ITS TOYOTA THE WHOLE TIME!! BUYER BEWARE!! PAY A LITTLE EXTRA AT THE DEALER YOU BUY THE CAR FROM

Just registered today to make this post???? Hmmmm

My extended warranty is about to expire ( I have used it 4 times total savings over $2500) anyone know where and if I can buy another Toyota warranty??

Hi, I would like to know the answer also. My 2006 Lexus GS extended warranty will soon expire in 6/2012 and would like to purchase additional extended warranty if possible. Does anyone know if this is possible? TIA.

rated:
I wish I worked for a dealership. That way I could have bought a Toyota warranty instead of this aftermarket FAKE WARRANTY!! I can send you my 1,900 repair bill that I had to pay for!!!

BIGGGGGGGG SCCCCCAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

rated:
Yeah thats what I thought when my Honda's 4 dr EX auto trans went at 70,000 and cost $2000 to replace because they don't repair only replace.. Then my 4x4 toyota truck had a recall for a head gasket which we had done and 10,000 miles later 80,0000 miles on the truck the gasket went again and they didnt want to know about it since they fulfilled their obligation. We had to sell it because it wouldve cost too much to fix.. they dont make hondas and toyotas like they used too.. BTW the truck was recreational only not commercial use so no we didnt beat it to death

Kobedagger said:   Why do Toyota owners need an extended warranty anyways??

Toyotas come with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty already. So you're paying all that money for just 40,000 miles???? Sounds like a waste.

I mean you're already paying more for a Toyota than its competitors because of renouned reliability yet waste a ton of money on an extended warranty that you don't even need.

Cars of today do not break down in the first 100,000 miles! Even domestics, Hyundais/Kias can go 100,000 miles with no engine or transmission failures.

Now if the warranty covered between 160,000-200,000 miles then I say get it because that's where breakdowns often occur but no warranty company offers it because they know they wouldn't be profitable.

But it's always baffling to me why owners waste tons of money on extended warranty for the first 100k miles where major problems are almost nil yet drive without one after 100k miles when problems occur at a greater frequency.

rated:
Ok, here is the inside scoop of how it works:

When your salesman quotes you a payment and "closes" the deal? The payment is actually not true. It has "leg." Usually $40 or so more than what the payment really is. Now the Finance Manager gets you in the office and has a few options. He can use that "leg" for reserve, which is the amount the bank pays him for interest above and beyond what the bank has actually approved you for, also known as a "buy rate." Let's say you are approved at a buy rate of 1.90%. The Finance Manager then marks that rate up (most States cap you at 2-3%) to let's say 3.90% on a 72 month contract. The bank then splits the additional interest income he made them on that additional 2.00% he charged you at about an 80/20 split and he makes $$.

...OR he can sell product. It is really hard to pull off both without shooting the payment sky high compared to what your salesman told you. That is how they get you in the finance office and say "The warranty only changes your payment by $12 a month." Because they back the interest rate down to the buy rate and charge all the $ for the warranty.

So here is the trick: Act REALLY interested in the warranty, "as long as it doesn't change my payment too much." Make him think you are buying it. Then slide in a little "I will have to pay interest on that warranty though, what rate are they charging me?" He'll then give you a rate (the buy rate, he had to go there to sell the warranty and keep your payment close to what your slesman quoted you, right? And since he thinks you are buying the warranty? Why not just tell you?) At that time? back out of the warranty. Now the Finance Manager is in a trick bag. Normally, if you decline the warranty? He just marks the interest rate up and makes his money that way. Now he's already let the rate slip thinking he was selling a warranty, and he's sunk.

So take your low insterest rate loan and call a few dealers for warranty prices. Honestly? If they know they are competing and all they have to do is sell a warranty (which is REALLY easy paperwork)? You'll generally get it for about $100 over cost, vs. the $1,000+++ profit you would've paid at the time of sale.

rated:
Ok, here is the inside scoop of how it works:

When your salesman quotes you a payment and "closes" the deal? The payment is actually not true. It has "leg." Usually $40 or so more than what the payment really is. Now the Finance Manager gets you in the office and has a few options. He can use that "leg" for reserve, which is the amount the bank pays him for interest above and beyond what the bank has actually approved you for, also known as a "buy rate." Let's say you are approved at a buy rate of 1.90%. The Finance Manager then marks that rate up (most States cap you at 2-3%) to let's say 3.90% on a 72 month contract. The bank then splits the additional interest income he made them on that additional 2.00% he charged you at about an 80/20 split and he makes $$.

...OR he can sell product. It is really hard to pull off both without shooting the payment sky high compared to what your salesman told you. That is how they get you in the finance office and say "The warranty only changes your payment by $12 a month." Because they back the interest rate down to the buy rate and charge all the $ for the warranty.

So here is the trick: Act REALLY interested in the warranty, "as long as it doesn't change my payment too much." Make him think you are buying it. Then slide in a little "I will have to pay interest on that warranty though, what rate are they charging me?" He'll then give you a rate (the buy rate, he had to go there to sell the warranty and keep your payment close to what your slesman quoted you, right? And since he thinks you are buying the warranty? Why not just tell you?) At that time? back out of the warranty. Now the Finance Manager is in a trick bag. Normally, if you decline the warranty? He just marks the interest rate up and makes his money that way. Now he's already let the rate slip thinking he was selling a warranty, and he's sunk.

So take your low insterest rate loan and call a few dealers for warranty prices. Honestly? If they know they are competing and all they have to do is sell a warranty (which is REALLY easy paperwork)? You'll generally get it for about $100 over cost, vs. the $1,000+++ profit you would've paid at the time of sale.

rated:
Extended are not manufactory one. read fine print, exclusion are more than AutoZone parts list.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.