• filter:
  • 16 7 8910
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
my previous vehicle was a Toyota and I did purchase an extended warranty.
although the vehicle was very reliable, it was not perfect.
No car is ever going to go without needing some sort of replacement parts.
That is an unrealistic expectation of any manufacturer.
With that being said, I did make my money back on one single failure.
Thank goodness I prepaid for the repair by having the extended warranty.
Vehicle repairs never come at the right time for your budget.

rated:
Live in Corpus Christi, Texas, dealer wanted $1200.00 for 8yr/75,000 mile warranty on a 2011 Avalon. Paid $769.00 to Troy at Greenfield Toyota in Mass. 413-772-0989 give him a call and save money. Everything was quick and easy!!

rated:
I agree, its like Insurance. We don't need unless we have to see a doctor.

rated:
Question to you guys here...
I bought my car in Dec 2007 can I still get this extended warranty or is it only for new cards...?
(may be its already posted here and I might have missed something in this 7 pages post. pls forgive if so.)

rated:
and Yes, I am guessing all dealers would accept / honor it. just to be sure...

rated:
Snowyowl said:   Yeah thats what I thought when my Honda's 4 dr EX auto trans went at 70,000 and cost $2000 to replace because they don't repair only replace.. Then my 4x4 toyota truck had a recall for a head gasket which we had done and 10,000 miles later 80,0000 miles on the truck the gasket went again and they didnt want to know about it since they fulfilled their obligation. We had to sell it because it wouldve cost too much to fix.. they dont make hondas and toyotas like they used too.. BTW the truck was recreational only not commercial use so no we didnt beat it to death
===

so true,

Honda will not repair a tranny, only replace it.
They make the dealer send the old one back to the engineers at the factory to find out what they hey happened.

rated:
blabal said:   I wish I worked for a dealership. That way I could have bought a Toyota warranty instead of this aftermarket FAKE WARRANTY!! I can send you my 1,900 repair bill that I had to pay for!!!

BIGGGGGGGG SCCCCCAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Can't be. I referred a family friend to Jerry and he purchased a 8/125k Extra Care Platinum policy. Two weeks later I went to my local Toyota dealer and had the service advisor run the VIN through the internal dealer network site. The ext warranty already showed up, and the plan type and the coverage option matched what was purchased. The warranty was indeed valid.

rated:
I recently bought a new Camry and asked my Toyota dealer to match the price on the extended warranty from Jerry Johnson. The dealer said the warranty costs more to the dealership than what Jerry was offering it for and said it must be an aftermarket warranty. However, Jerry said it is a genuine Toyota warranty and other people on these forums say the same thing. Did my dealer lie to me about the cost or does Jerry get it from Toyota cheaper somehow? It is a real Toyora warranty and not aftermarket, right?

rated:
My guess is that your average dealer is content to get 100% profit on every warranty they sell to customers who by cars from them. Jerry has figured out that not only can he make 100% profit on those people that come in and buy from him, but he can also undercut every other dealer in the country by being known to sell warranties for much less online. He makes a smaller profit, but it's found money to him. People are COMING TO HIM for warranties. He probably gets a nice kickback from Toyota for selling so many warranties as well.

rated:
So is there anyone out there able to beat Jerry's price? If Jerry is still making a 100% profit I would think there would still be some wiggle room...

rated:
I know I purchased an extended warranty from Troy at Toyota of Greenfield back in 2008 for my 2009 Camry at $700 for 100k miles. It was legit and I used it with no problems at Toyota in California. I am trying to find another warranty for my 2012 Camry. I have contacted Troy again along with Jerry to see what I get. Wish my luck!!! Any other insight would be much appreciated.

rated:
Hey, that's a good deal. I hope it be possible for a Canadian to get deal? I just got a 2012 fj cruiser and was the ECP would cost a whopping $2,209. I'm calling the numbers. THX!

rated:
I bought a 6 year 125K mile 0 deductible warranty from Jerry for our van a few weeks ago for $1000. Considering that this includes the navigation system, power door motors, and pretty much everything. These are very good insurance policies. I received my paperwork from Toyota last week on it , so they are 100% legit toyota warranties.

rated:
isdex said:   MNFRUGALSHOPPER said:   blabal said:   This guy is a rip-off. Stay AWAY! Claims they are Toyota warranties when indeed they are not. I was told the whole time it was backed by Toyota and even after signing everything that had Toyota logos all over the place. I didn't even know until I brought my 4runner into the dealership to find out nothing was covered! I was sold an aftermarket warranty from Jerry that was NOT Toyota. STAY AWAY!! BIG INTERNET SCAM!! HE WILL MAKE YOU THINK ITS TOYOTA THE WHOLE TIME!! BUYER BEWARE!! PAY A LITTLE EXTRA AT THE DEALER YOU BUY THE CAR FROM

Just registered today to make this post???? Hmmmm

My extended warranty is about to expire ( I have used it 4 times total savings over $2500) anyone know where and if I can buy another Toyota warranty??

Hi, I would like to know the answer also. My 2006 Lexus GS extended warranty will soon expire in 6/2012 and would like to purchase additional extended warranty if possible. Does anyone know if this is possible? TIA.

Does anyone has any good suggestion?

rated:
BLABAL: You obviously do not know what you are talking about!

rated:
A number of folks including myself have purchases extended warranties through Jerry Johnson and we have been more than satisfied with his professionalism and of course the unbeatable prices/quotes.Look no further if you need the best prices !

rated:
shantanupmch said:   A number of folks including myself have purchases extended warranties through Jerry Johnson and we have been more than satisfied with his professionalism and of course the unbeatable prices/quotes.Look no further if you need the best prices !

quoting to preserve

rated:
atlantatoyotaowner said:   A number of folks including myself have purchases extended warranties through Jerry Johnson and we have been more than satisfied with his professionalism and of course the unbeatable prices/quotes.Look no further if you need the best prices !

two new members stating the exact thing! both joined and have only posts in this thread... now this is making me think something fishy is going on here...

rated:
i bought my warranty thru them. paid off already. small things, but $0 from my pocket

rated:
There are a number of examples of dealers like this who are more than happy to settle for a modest profit on an extended warranty, rather than the 100% your typical dealership will try to pull. I don't know about Jerry Johnson here, but I'd suggest hitting some Toyota forums and I am sure someone can help you out. Maybe they have their own Jerry Johnson thread? I know some Honda forums have similar stories.

rated:
If you think you don't need these types of warranties because you are buying a TOYOTA, you need to wake up and read some of the recent history of Toyota serious issues! Faulty computer brains (repair coat $800-1500), Engine failures due to sludge built-up ($$$$), unintended acceleration issues, HID headlight failures, etc. I have worked in the automobile business for 40 years and always was high on Toyota quality, NO MORE! They are not much better than most other companies now! Buy HONDA, its a better car.

rated:
Those who have taken the warranty of toyota -platinum- I took it for 75000miles 7 years for toyota sienna 2008 with jerry(and now have 35k and 5 years). It had a AC problem one side getting cold air and driver side did not, took it to toyota service center, they found the O ring to some joint is broken and a pipe has to be replaced. part and labor comes to 1154.00, and my warranty was suppose to cover 100%( we all assume so). Now toyota platinum warratny says they pay the part but I have to pay 20% (around $200). I feel this is rediculous. If it is bumper to bumper they should cover it 100%. I just want everyone to know that how the warranty works. I am going to call them and also to jerry and see how they handle it.

rated:
gooody said:   Those who have taken the warranty of toyota -platinum- I took it for 75000miles 7 years for toyota sienna 2008 with jerry(and now have 35k and 5 years). It had a AC problem one side getting cold air and driver side did not, took it to toyota service center, they found the O ring to some joint is broken and a pipe has to be replaced. part and labor comes to 1154.00, and my warranty was suppose to cover 100%( we all assume so).None of the Toyota (or pretty much anyone else for that matter) extended warranties cover 100%. You know what they say about "assume" ...

Now toyota platinum warratny says they pay the part but I have to pay 20% (around $200). I feel this is rediculous. If it is bumper to bumper they should cover it 100%. I just want everyone to know that how the warranty works. I am going to call them and also to jerry and see how they handle it.Almost all extended warranties - platinum or not - are NOT bumper-to-bumper. The extended warranty is a contract - did you actually read it?

Considering that Toyota CLEARLY sets out a List of Excluded Components there's no basis for making the assumption there's bumper-to-bumper or 100% coverage. That list includes fluids, and freon/R134 is usually classified as a fluid. From the information you provided, with an A/C bill of close to $1200, the significant part of that bill will most likely be labor which basically involves evacuating the A/C system in a manner that satisfies the Feds, replacing the O-ring and pipe, probably replacing the dryer, pulling a vacuum to make sure there are no leaks, then fully recharging the system.

In short:
1) The parts that you say Toyota is covering (an A/C O-ring and pipe) do not cost $1000 and
2) $200 is definitely NOT the bill for just labor on that job, so Toyota is covering more than just the parts
3) $200 sounds like the bill for a full system charge of freon/R134 at dealer retail rates
4) As it is, you're saving close to $1000 which means you've recouped either all or a significant part of what you paid for the contract.

rated:
I do agree that Toyota specifically say what they cover and what they won't. But A/C is a covered part. your quote " 4) As it is, you're saving close to $1000 which means you've recouped either all or a significant part of what you paid for the contract", I do not understand the philosophy of that. significant part of what you paid- here in the forum there are hunderds or thousands of who never used their warranty, since you do not use the warranty does it mean they will refund you part or full of it? Warranty is not paid to cover only the amount you paid for.
As some one said is like health insurance, some get sick some never. According to you insurance stop when recouped either all or a significant part of what you paid is spent by the insurance.
I know the coverage is not for wear and tear parts such as the tire or fluids battery etc. Warranty covers both labor and parts not 80% of labor and 100% of parts, I have never seen anything written anywhere in toyota agreement. I greatly appreciate if you can cut and paste or link to show something like that seen in toyota contract.

rated:
gooody said:   I do agree that Toyota specifically say what they cover and what they won't. But A/C is a covered part.Again, have you actually read your contract and coverage? Because "A/C is a covered part" is flat out wrong for the simple reason that A/C isn't a part, it's a collection of parts. In fact, the Toyota Platinum Warranty brochure DOES NOT SAY "A/C is covered" AT ALL; it lists ~24 parts that are covered under the "Air Conditioning/Heating" section. Go to the Toyota Extended Warranty page and download the Platinum brochure for the information that you should already have. Further, on that same web page, it states:

Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection.

That's VIRTUALLY all, not all. "Virtually all" is not 100% coverage.
According to you insurance stop when recouped either all or a significant part of what you paid is spent by the insurance.Would you care to point out where I said the insurance would stop? All I said is that even if you pay $200 for a $1200 repair, you're ahead (or almost) ahead of the game in buying the extended warranty.
I know the coverage is not for wear and tear parts such as the tire or fluids battery etc.Then why are you expecting coverage for fluids that are EXPLICITLY excluded? There's NO way they can replace an A/C hose without evacuating the refrigerant and having to put new stuff in. The new refrigerant is not covered by the warranty. The warranty brochure under A/C does NOT mention refrigerant as being covered. That, and have you even asked what the $200 is for or are you just assuming it's a co-pay? Speaking of, you haven't mentioned whether you have the Platinum with the deductible or not, so part of that $200 may be a normal deductible anyway.Warranty covers both labor and parts not 80% of labor and 100% of parts, I have never seen anything written anywhere in toyota agreement.Of course you haven't seen it in the agreement BECAUSE 100% OF PARTS AREN'T COVERED BY THE PLATINUM WARRANTY. That whole "List of EXCLUDED Components" thing ought to be a BIG clue that there's not 100% coverage.

Sorry I'm a bit touchy about this, but you're the umpteenth person I've seen or dealt with this week who hasn't read their contract but expects everyone else to honor what they think the contract should be and not what it actually says. That said, download the Platinum brochure, READ YOUR CONTRACT and find out what the $200 is for.

rated:
I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Toyota purchases. On my 2006 Tacoma the AC blower went bad, it cost me $140 to buy it online OEM and install it myself, also the foot rest broke, it cost me $20 to replace it from the local dealer, my door actuators went bad on two doors that was $392 online purchase. After 140k miles that's a total of $552 and I always have my mechanic do the regular maintenance. So far I have been lucky and no lemons. I have saved lots of money by not buying the extended warraty. If I were to buy a hybrid I would definetely buy the warranty as the battery life expectancy is low. My friend got a free battery replacement on two of his hybrids as he opted in for the extended warranty.

rated:
The reason why toyota quality has deminished over the past few years is because they are now assembled in the USA/Canada/Mexico. All those union workers are more concern about the next union renegotiation contracts then pride of craftmenship. Aseembly in Mexico is cheaper so more moola for the executives. Better union contracts and more money for excutives equals let the consumers pick up the tab.

My 1964 1/2 Mustang has fenders that can total loss any of your toyotas regarless of how much extended warranty you have...

rated:
badbone said:   I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Toyota purchases. On my 2006 Tacoma the AC blower went bad, it cost me $140 to buy it online OEM and install it myself,If you can fix your own vehicle you're ahead of the game because labor costs, especially at a dealer, are almost always higher than the actual part costs. If you couldn't replace the blower yourself - and considering the problems Toyota had with those Tacoma blowers to the point they were redesigned - having the extended warranty could have paid for itself with a few blower replacements + labor. You're also not taking into account that if you don't have a warranty you're more likely to let stuff slide, e.g. if I had that Tacoma blower problem + an extended warranty, I'd be at the dealer every 2-3 months (which was how long some blowers would last before the noise started up again) having new blowers put in until the redesigned one came out. You're not going to be replacing blowers every two months if it's coming out of your pocket, you'll keep greasing it and living with it until it *has* to get fixed. Speaking of A/C, a single A/C repair involving component replacement and freon/R134 replacement will almost certainly cost at least what a discounted extended warranty costs. Living in a hot climate where the car A/C runs year round, I buy 7/100 Platinum-level warranties and end up ahead of the game solely because of $1000+ A/C repairs. Any other covered repairs are icing on the cake.

badbone said: The reason why toyota quality has deminished over the past few years is because they are now assembled in the USA/Canada/Mexico. All those union workers are more concern about the next union renegotiation contracts then pride of craftmenship. Aseembly in Mexico is cheaper so more moola for the executives. Better union contracts and more money for excutives equals let the consumers pick up the tab.You're way off base here for the simple fact that NONE of Toyota's US or Canadian plants are unionized. The only union Toyota plant had been NUMMI, the GM-Toyota joint venture in California that GM dumped on Toyota in the bankruptcy; Toyota closed it and moved production of the models assembled there elsewhere much to the chagrin of the UAW. The reason Toyota's quality took a dump is that they decided to make a run for the title of the world's #1 volume automaker and ignored the quality and design that got them to where they were. Akio Toyoda openly admitted as much.

rated:
Just bought my 2011 RAV4 warranty for $605 at www.toyotaextendedcarewarranty.com for the same 6 year 100,000 mile extended coverage. I shopped around and this was definetly the best price. Good luck all.

rated:
gooody said:   Those who have taken the warranty of toyota -platinum- I took it for 75000miles 7 years for toyota sienna 2008 with jerry(and now have 35k and 5 years). It had a AC problem one side getting cold air and driver side did not, took it to toyota service center, they found the O ring to some joint is broken and a pipe has to be replaced. part and labor comes to 1154.00, and my warranty was suppose to cover 100%( we all assume so). Now toyota platinum warratny says they pay the part but I have to pay 20% (around $200). I feel this is rediculous. If it is bumper to bumper they should cover it 100%. I just want everyone to know that how the warranty works. I am going to call them and also to jerry and see how they handle it.

What you described there is not an 1100 dollar repair. You got it from both directions. My guess is the warranty company told them to charge you the 20% (of an amount that would get them close) & agreed to pick up another 100 or two.

rated:
WetWilly said:   badbone said:   I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Toyota purchases. On my 2006 Tacoma the AC blower went bad, it cost me $140 to buy it online OEM and install it myself,If you can fix your own vehicle you're ahead of the game because labor costs, especially at a dealer, are almost always higher than the actual part costs. If you couldn't replace the blower yourself - and considering the problems Toyota had with those Tacoma blowers to the point they were redesigned - having the extended warranty could have paid for itself with a few blower replacements + labor. You're also not taking into account that if you don't have a warranty you're more likely to let stuff slide, e.g. if I had that Tacoma blower problem + an extended warranty, I'd be at the dealer every 2-3 months (which was how long some blowers would last before the noise started up again) having new blowers put in until the redesigned one came out. You're not going to be replacing blowers every two months if it's coming out of your pocket, you'll keep greasing it and living with it until it *has* to get fixed. Speaking of A/C, a single A/C repair involving component replacement and freon/R134 replacement will almost certainly cost at least what a discounted extended warranty costs. Living in a hot climate where the car A/C runs year round, I buy 7/100 Platinum-level warranties and end up ahead of the game solely because of $1000+ A/C repairs. Any other covered repairs are icing on the cake.

badbone said: The reason why toyota quality has deminished over the past few years is because they are now assembled in the USA/Canada/Mexico. All those union workers are more concern about the next union renegotiation contracts then pride of craftmenship. Aseembly in Mexico is cheaper so more moola for the executives. Better union contracts and more money for excutives equals let the consumers pick up the tab.You're way off base here for the simple fact that NONE of Toyota's US or Canadian plants are unionized. The only union Toyota plant had been NUMMI, the GM-Toyota joint venture in California that GM dumped on Toyota in the bankruptcy; Toyota closed it and moved production of the models assembled there elsewhere much to the chagrin of the UAW. The reason Toyota's quality took a dump is that they decided to make a run for the title of the world's #1 volume automaker and ignored the quality and design that got them to where they were. Akio Toyoda openly admitted as much.

Actually it's more a combination of 3 things.

1. Mostly the drop in the Yen Vs Dollar.

2. Your point. While the Yen was diving, they were driving for top spot.

3. Allowing too many vehicles to be made by American labor. Didn't say UAW. Just pi## poor spoiled, crack smoking, self entitled american labor. Again, the reason they starting building here was bc of the falling Yen & import taxes & fees. If they had it their way, they'd probably rather the Yen were at the almost 400 to 1 dollars it was when they started vs. the under 80 it is now so they could keep the jobs at home & better control of quality.

rated:
badbone said:   I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Toyota purchases. On my 2006 Tacoma the AC blower went bad, it cost me $140 to buy it online OEM and install it myself, also the foot rest broke, it cost me $20 to replace it from the local dealer, my door actuators went bad on two doors that was $392 online purchase. After 140k miles that's a total of $552 and I always have my mechanic do the regular maintenance. So far I have been lucky and no lemons. I have saved lots of money by not buying the extended warraty. If I were to buy a hybrid I would definetely buy the warranty as the battery life expectancy is low. My friend got a free battery replacement on two of his hybrids as he opted in for the extended warranty.

Batteries/hybrid system comes with a factory 7 year (or 8, can't remember) warranty.

rated:
in2dadark said:   What you described there is not an 1100 dollar repair. You got it from both directions. My guess is the warranty company told them to charge you the 20% (of an amount that would get them close) & agreed to pick up another 100 or two.What the OP described there was an incomplete story about a repair. You're right, it's not $1100 to replace an O-ring but if something "broke" as they said then there's all sorts of possibilities, e.g. new evaporator, new condenser, new compressor - any of which can be trashed by debris in the system if something "broke". As for the $200-300 bill, at $125/hr (or higher) dealer labor rates + R134 + shop charges + tax just a system evac/recharge with nothing else done can hit $200 by itself at book labor rates. BTW, that's not how reputable warranty companies work; I won't go into details of that process here.

That said, a quick search indicates that the OP's A/C problem is not that uncommon with 2007-08 Siennas. The A/C O-rings seem to have issues, and parts + labor to replace just the O-rings themselves at dealer rates looks like it runs ~$500. If the OP's Sienna has a dual A/C system (which it sounds like it does) and both the O-rings are shot + the front/rear hoses broke (which the OP said), then the bill at dealer rates goes up to the $1000 neighborhood - which is where the OP's bill ended up.

rated:
in2dadark said:   3. Allowing too many vehicles to be made by American labor. Didn't say UAW. Just pi## poor spoiled, crack smoking, self entitled american labor. Again, the reason they starting building here was bc of the falling Yen & import taxes & fees. If they had it their way, they'd probably rather the Yen were at the almost 400 to 1 dollars it was when they started vs. the under 80 it is now so they could keep the jobs at home & better control of quality.Still wrong on several levels:

1) You said "union workers" - is there another major American auto labor union besides the UAW?

2) As far as American workers being "pi## poor", that's a myth at least in regard to the transplants. At least as far as Toyota is concerned, no significant quality differences have been shown between American assembled and Japanese assembled vehicles; in fact, in some instances the American assembled vehicles have measured higher on quality indexes. Hyundai/Kia has rebounded in a big way on the back on vehicles assembled by American workers in Alabama and Georgia (Sonata, Elantra, Sante Fe, Optima, Sorrento). Speaking of, I expect that workers at non-union transplant auto companies assembling cars in the South would take great exception to the insult of being called "pi## poor spoiled, crack smoking, and self entitled American labor".

rated:
I posted back in 2004 when I bought platinum warranty from Jerry, and I'll say it again. It is the best value ever. We had a couple repairs on our Sienna which totaled more than 4x the price we paid for the warranty. Yes Toyota's do break, just less often than other makes, and fixing them does cost some money. We still have our Sienna (~9 yrs / 150K miles) and eventhough the warranty has expired, it's still one of the more reliable car we ever owned.

rated:
Pump those rebates willy. I have a friend I graduated with from an automotive AST degree program who has an auto warranty company. Cameras on the outside of the building & it's built like a bunker able to withstand a bomb blast. Given how rarely they pay, I'd guess he's going to need it. He's got a nice airplane though.

Edit- I'll get it right one of these edits.

rated:
ynotme said:   
they put me in the room with a manageer to pressure me to buy this warranty before sign the paper
i counter pressure this sucker until around 10 p.m.
i was at the dealer almost over 10 hrs and if i don't buy it they all get mad so pressure them with price i wanted or walk away. in the end i got the price i wanted
how i did it??? when i was with the manager in the room i saw his family picture with 4 kids
with 4 kids you don't want over time you want time with family

LOL...with 4 kids he's more likely looking for an excuse to stay at work late...

rated:
Can someone verify Acton Toyota is a real (aka authentic Toyota) warranty? It says it is, but want to be sure. Frank never called me back, so I'm planning on going with Spencer with Acton. The dealership I just picked mine up says their cost is 1600 (6yr, 125k), and they want to know how these other guys can beat it ( I was quoted 1050)

rated:
Throwing my 2 cents worth. I bought my 7 year/75K miles extended warranty on my 07 Prius, and recently took it in for recall services. While there they found a leaky water pump (on the engine, not the electric side which is recalled), so extended warranty covered pump and radiator fluid, not belt ($31). The pump + fluid + labor did not exceed the $570 I originally paid for the warranty but having it definitely helps me go to dealerships for services without fear.

rated:
Toyota dealers are scam bags. Hate Toyota - all its dealers I dealt with were stinky crooks. Never. Never. Never.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014