• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

baking dish
Disclaimer
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageID=240&b=61

Coupon Code A20350 Discount: - (20% OFF COUPON)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
in for a few, hopefully it wont explode in the oven!

TopDoggNYC (May. 17, 2009 @ 5:41p) |

I wanted to make some mac & cheez when I was about 5 and my mom told me to heat some water on the stove and she would be... (more)

sfh8544 (May. 18, 2009 @ 10:02a) |

I bought a pyrex set 3 years ago and haven't had a single problem with any of the dishes. I sure could use that loaf pa... (more)

skrutop (May. 18, 2009 @ 10:56a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like a great deal from a new member!! Any coupon for free postage?? POstage is coming upto $6.99 for me!! I dont know how worthy is this bowl gonna be!!

hm this seems hot! i got shipping coming in at $6.95 which is reasonable for size reasons. ordered 9 pieces and right at $20 shipped. this stuff usually lasts a long time too.

anyone got any deals on lids? =]

They had some good prices on other clearance items...you can just click on the other items on the left side, like corelle and then click on clearance to see what they have on for clearance.

Dave

I recall seeing some posts on Amazon about the blue versions of Pyrex having cracking/"exploding" issues. A Google of 'blue pyrex exploding' results in some interesting returns.

Edit: Amazon thread....

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Bakeware-5-Piece-Baking-Cobalt/dp/B00005B8KD

In for 8 THANKS OP

WOW after doing a search on it canceled order they asked why and I told them they were very nice but did not try to talk me out of it almost as if they knew

apparently all the new Pyrex is made from an inferior glass than previously and is prone to exploding due to thermal expansion shock. which is a bummer. What glassware am I supposed to buy now?!

TinCanFury said: apparently all the new Pyrex is made from an inferior glass than previously and is prone to exploding due to thermal expansion shock. which is a bummer. What glassware am I supposed to buy now?!
Where did you read this?

I forget where I saw it, but I saw it too. The "new" pyrex was outsourced by corning and made of soda lime to reduce cost. Amorphous soda lime can handle less thermal shock than the original borosilicate formulation. Europe still uses the original formulation, and their pyrex-ware is noticeably different in appearance and heft.

That said, I purchased some "new" pyrex several years back and have had no problems.

Planetshining said: TinCanFury said: apparently all the new Pyrex is made from an inferior glass than previously and is prone to exploding due to thermal expansion shock. which is a bummer. What glassware am I supposed to buy now?!
Where did you read this?

duplicate, darn FW server is slow...

Site's down.

Their site has soooo many problems! I've been trying to check-out 20 of the same item for the last 20 minutes. Keeps coming back with an error message. Free shipping over $75 with code G44503

Search for 400053034715 . That will bring up the item.

Wow, I bought this same deal from word kitchen no more than 2 months ago. I got what I thought was a fantastic deal at the time! 1.99 for the 9x13 baking dish, 9 x 9 baking dish, and their 5 quart bowl. It was great. I ordered about 8 pieces and it came out to a little over 21 bucks.

Now, after seeing a few members post about "explosions" I did a quick search of "purple pyrex" on Google and more testimonials return!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html
http://www.Amazon.com/Pyrex-Bakeware-5-Piece-Baking-Cobalt/product-reviews/B00005B8KD

I feel cheated! Moreover, I am very reluctant to use this bakeware anywhere near heat. There is a lady who claims her Pyrex spontaneously exploded without any provocation from heat or anything!

As a precaution, I am going to throw away all pieces.

Keeps saying "problem processing your order" as I head to checkout.

anyone know of bakeware to be used on top of stove?thanks

Promo Code: A20350 - gives you an additional 20% off.

Every time a Pyrex deal comes up the topic of exploding bakeware comes up as well. Last time I went to the consumeraffairs web site and all the posts sounded like they had been written by the same person -- similar writing style, LOTS OF ALL CAPS, and the like. Things look a little different there now.

What I find amazing is that with all those repetitive posts there about exploding pyrex, there is nothing at the Consumer Product Safety Commission website. Nor do I recall a single FWer posting about personal experience with these dangerous versions of Pyrex. Yet this has supposedly been going one for years and is a common occurance. Call me a skeptic, but something's fishy. For sure it's a different (i.e.cheaper and not as tough) formulation than the Pyrex of old, but I don't buy all the alarmist posts about exploding Pyrex.

Nice ripoff from Slickdeals. No, really! I was shopping for blue Pyrex! What do you mean this same deal was posted 20 minutes earlier on SD?

Skidpalace said: Nice ripoff from Slickdeals. No, really! I was shopping for blue Pyrex! What do you mean this same deal was posted 20 minutes earlier on SD?

Since you were aware of this deal 20 mins ago, what stopped you from posting a good deal here on FW? Ranting is one thing, but complaning about someone actually took the effort and share a good deal is another. You suck.

Got some of the amethyst pyrex from the last deal, had for awhile, used in many situations, no problems. My mom had an OLDER set bust on her. Some of these are probably idiots baking then dumping them in cold water, or misusing them. Even if it says they just "spontaneously" busted does not mean they did something prior that weakened it.

After reading quite a few discussions on it just sounds like they changed the glass (which was stated here) and as long as you don't do stupid things like leaving them on a stove top, or do extreme temperature changes it should be okay. Someone said they have had the "newer" glass for 10 years now.....

comprx said: Every time a Pyrex deal comes up the topic of exploding bakeware comes up as well. Last time I went to the consumeraffairs web site and all the posts sounded like they had been written by the same person -- similar writing style, LOTS OF ALL CAPS, and the like. Things look a little different there now.

What I find amazing is that with all those repetitive posts there about exploding pyrex, there is nothing at the Consumer Product Safety Commission website. Nor do I recall a single FWer posting about personal experience with these dangerous versions of Pyrex. Yet this has supposedly been going one for years and is a common occurance. Call me a skeptic, but something's fishy. For sure it's a different (i.e.cheaper and not as tough) formulation than the Pyrex of old, but I don't buy all the alarmist posts about exploding Pyrex.

I have personally had two pieces of Pyrex bakeware explode or crack on me:

- a Pyrex pie plate exploded (loudly) in the microwave while heating up a couple of pieces of salmon.
- a Pyrex baking backing dish cracked when taking it out of the oven and placing it on my tile countertop.

The Pyrex sold today is not the same as your Grandma's Pyrex. It is made of pretty much standard glass (tempered soda lime glass) and not the borosilicate glass which made the old Corning made Pyrex nearly indestructible.

I assure you that this has happened to me and I have mentioned here in Fatwallet forums when Pyrex deals are posted.

What really bugs me about all this (besides two ruined meals) is that the buying public has an memory of Pyrex as being a superior quality product which could be counted on as a real workhorse in the kitchen. The new makers of Pyrex take advantage of this positive name recognition. Selling a lesser quality product to an unsuspecting public is kind of like cheating.

Skidpalace said: Nice ripoff from Slickdeals. No, really! I was shopping for blue Pyrex! What do you mean this same deal was posted 20 minutes earlier on SD?

you're getting so worked up over this you probably skidded in your huggies.

Who cares? A deal alert is a deal alert.

I shake my head over the "ownership" of deal notification. If you're the first member to bring it here, you get the credit--no matter how or where you got it!

I have some blue pieces and I never had a problem with them exploding or cracking, nor did I have any problems with ANY of my Pyrex. What did those people do to their Pyrex?

momma36 said: What did those people do to their Pyrex?

I Left a pyrex custard cup on the stove and turned on the wrong burner. When I noticed it, thought i'd cool it off with running water. Guess 2 wrongs don't make a right.

jxzee121 said: Wow, I bought this same deal from word kitchen no more than 2 months ago. I got what I thought was a fantastic deal at the time! 1.99 for the 9x13 baking dish, 9 x 9 baking dish, and their 5 quart bowl. It was great. I ordered about 8 pieces and it came out to a little over 21 bucks.

Now, after seeing a few members post about "explosions" I did a quick search of "purple pyrex" on Google and more testimonials return!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html
http://www.Amazon.com/Pyrex-Bakeware-5-Piece-Baking-Cobalt/produ...

I feel cheated! Moreover, I am very reluctant to use this bakeware anywhere near heat. There is a lady who claims her Pyrex spontaneously exploded without any provocation from heat or anything!

As a precaution, I am going to throw away all pieces.

Where do you live and what time do you take the trash out?

I already jumped on this deal, but could always use more. I think common sense can solve a lot of the exploding issues, but common sense today is becoming more and more uncommon! To each their own!

Marinex Borosilicate Bakeware.

Anchor Hocking uses soda lime bakeware too, so unfortunately, you won't get anywhere buying that instead (other than the fact that it is made in the US.)

The marinex stuff I listed is expensive (about $50), but it is still uses borosilicate.

I don't think the reports of the pyrex exploding are by crackpots - I've seen some reputable stories about it in the past few years. It's definitely made by a different company now, using inferior materials, than it was in earlier decades. The venerable brand name was bought by a completely-unrelated company, sadly.

You do have to treat it carefully, but even with careful treatment, there is a chance that it will shatter/explode. You can't blame the people who have had it shatter by saying that they must have done something wrong.

I've had some of this new kind of pyrex for 2 years now, and never had a problem with it, but I do handle it carefully and always think about increasing/decreasing the heat gently.

As far as I know, the blue isn't any worse than the clear, but maybe I just didn't hear about a certain problem with the blue.

The pyrex a lot of people are going for now is the new type with lids (they even have lids for the large casserole dishes), so I wouldn't assume that this open-topped stuff is on clearance because it's dangerous. The lids make the whole thing much handier.

Used to love Pyrex. Grew up poor and had keep shoving stuff in the microwave. Just for nostalgia's sake, I think I'll buy something.

I can honestly say that the "new" pyrex is horrible. We had a 13 x 9" baking pan that was in the sink, soaking in room temp water. I dropped a fork into the sink, it must have tapped the side of the pyrex, and the pan exploded. Literally exploded. It was not fresh out of the oven, it wasn't hot, and the water was room temp, warm at best. I am still trying to get them to honor their "warranty" and replace it for me. We only bought our set 3 months prior. Does anyone know of any other quality products other than Pyrex for my baking/cooking and everyday use? The fight i'm having with Pyrex to try and replace one baking pan is insane and not worth any further business from me.

Green for the post for a good deal (potentially) for others.

in for a few, hopefully it wont explode in the oven!

I wanted to make some mac & cheez when I was about 5 and my mom told me to heat some water on the stove and she would be in there in a few minutes to help me make it... anyways not knowing any better I got the pyrex measuring cup and put it on the stove. About 15 seconds later it exploded. Mind you this was about 18 years ago and with the "old stuff." The purpose of my story is to illustrate user error. If there was a serious issue with this product then it would have been recalled ages ago! In for some for my new house.

I bought a pyrex set 3 years ago and haven't had a single problem with any of the dishes. I sure could use that loaf pan, too. Green for OP!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014