• Text Only
One of the points in plan details is:

"If you do not have Auto-Refill, remember to add minutes / plan before your Service End Date."

Does that mean you need to activate before 30 days, otherwise its canceled?

I mean lets the 30day service period is over and I don't need mins for next few days and then would like to refill (after being out of service for couple of days/weeks), is it possible to do that? Can you you top -in when needed and you retain the number/service?

pacmantech said: Looking at that map, I don't buy the fact that the network is running off of Verizon's towers. What is with that big white space in the middle of the country? Surely Verizon has service there?

No matter what, it's deals like this that might start pressure on the postpaids. The fact that this plan doesn't rollover or doesn't have nights and weekends isn't a factor. A similar plan from postpaids would run at least $60/month.

EDIT: Didn't realize it, but Page Plus has a deal going for 1500 min/1500 text for $40/month, which is a bit more enticing, given that PP has a fairly good track record and truly does use all of the Verizon network.

RE:
What is with that big white space in the middle of the country? Surely Verizon has service there?

I would think they do not have to use the entire Verizon network and obviously they do not.

Question is will the service stop for voice or text if you use up the 30 MB data on the plan and your cc is not attached on your plan?

mYwayORtHEhigHWaY said: Question is will the service stop for voice or text if you use up the 30 MB data on the plan and your cc is not attached on your plan?

It is listed as 3 separate services for the $30.00, I would think each has it's own limits not effecting each other.

If they ever offer this also on the (newer and more widespread internationally) GSM standard, with the option to keep your current phone, it would be a great deal.

chillies said: One of the points in plan details is:

"If you do not have Auto-Refill, remember to add minutes / plan before your Service End Date."

Does that mean you need to activate before 30 days, otherwise its canceled?

I mean lets the 30day service period is over and I don't need mins for next few days and then would like to refill (after being out of service for couple of days/weeks), is it possible to do that? Can you you top -in when needed and you retain the number/service?
From ST T&Cs: If you do not refill your Straight Talk account within 30 days after the Service End Date, your Straight Talk phone number will be lost.

fratilai said: If they ever offer this also on the (newer and more widespread internationally) GSM standard, with the option to keep your current phone, it would be a great deal.

Are you kidding? This is a great deal regardless. $30 and no bs taxes on top of it.. this is a deal for most people.
In a matter of time won't people be able to flash there "old verizon phones"

You do have to buy the phone.

$30
$70
or
$100

Is this compatible with a Motorola W385 sold by Verizon? It's one of the phones being offered by straight talk.

Straight Talk is part of TracFone Wireless and is powered by Verizon Wireless. I purchased a Straight Talk phone last week, the razr, and it works great. You get 1000 min, 1000 text, and 30 MB of data for $30. I dont see a better deal out there right now. You can only buy in certain WalMart stores or you can get it from WalMart.com.

Straight Talk is part of TracFone Wireless and is powered by Verizon Wireless. I purchased a Straight Talk phone last week, the razr, and it works great. You get 1000 min, 1000 text, and 30 MB of data for $30. I dont see a better deal out there right now. You can only buy in certain WalMart stores or you can get it from WalMart.com.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you let the service expire at the end of the month and then don't refill your minutes for awhile, let's say a week. Will you still get to keep your same phone number? Another pre-paid service I've heard of, Net10.com, assigns you a new phone number if you fail to reload minutes before the next service period... That could obviously get tricky/annoying...

Didn't someone post that they called and cust/csv said that the phone account is active for 30 days if you do not pay timely?

Good deal. However, have hacked i-phone on pre-paid T-Mobile service. Will not work on this network...

Are there any great deals for GSM (Text + Min) pre-paid/Post paid?

Thanks,

spotrun said: Good deal. However, have hacked i-phone on pre-paid T-Mobile service. Will not work on this network...

Thanks,

I use my iPhone through Jolt Wireless which is a flat $.15/minute and you can purchase different amounts with different expiration dates ranging from 90 days to 365 days. Text messages are $.10 each way.

bhoup said: spotrun said: Good deal. However, have hacked i-phone on pre-paid T-Mobile service. Will not work on this network...

Thanks,

I use my iPhone through Jolt Wireless which is a flat $.15/minute and you can purchase different amounts with different expiration dates ranging from 90 days to 365 days. Text messages are $.10 each way.
From the coverage maps, looks like they just piggy back onto other carriers.

Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

Selling the phones and pre-paid phone cards at Wallymart makes sense. A large niche for pre-paid phones are people who can't get regular cell plans due to bad credit/no credit. What better place than a large nationwide chain that's not just known for low prices, but is also a large provider of services to the "unbanked" with check cashing and pre-paid Visa cards.

I've ordered a StraightTalk phone and Card, it should be here by mid week. I'll let you know how it goes

StraightTalk.com Review

Has anyone tried any of the basic Verizon based seem edits to enable missing features on the phone?

lambo881 said: poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

Selling the phones and pre-paid phone cards at Wallymart makes sense. A large niche for pre-paid phones are people who can't get regular cell plans due to bad credit/no credit. What better place than a large nationwide chain that's not just known for low prices, but is also a large provider of services to the "unbanked" with check cashing and pre-paid Visa cards.

RE:
A large niche for pre-paid phones are people who can't get regular cell plans due to bad credit/no credit.

Huh.
What an idiotic assumption.
Some of the smartest people go with prepaid, much lower cost than what many boobs pay for their cell phone.
Nothing to do with credit.

yesidonoitall said: lambo881 said: poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

RE:
A large niche for pre-paid phones are people who can't get regular cell plans due to bad credit/no credit.

Huh.
What an idiotic assumption.
Some of the smartest people go with prepaid, much lower cost than what many boobs pay for their cell phone.
Nothing to do with credit.

Don't be so sensitive. You can expand his profiling to include the small percentage of very proactive frugal people like us.

Also, still don't understand why you can't activate any existing verizon phone to this plan?

poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

WalMart is their only reseller. WalMart is everywhere so I think it is a good idea. It also comforts some people who may be apprehensive about this new service.

Would those old Amp'd phones work? They were on Verizon as well, IIRC.

lambo881 said: poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

I use pre-paid phones just because I don't want a contract phone, also it's a lot cheaper. I had a contract phone for about 10 yrs, then decided to save money!

Not at my closest WalMart in Germantown, MD.
The employees never even heard of the plan.

Chris11660 said: lambo881 said: poison7FL said: Does anyone else think that it's strange that their shop directs you to Wal-Mart.com?

I use pre-paid phones just because I don't want a contract phone, also it's a lot cheaper. I had a contract phone for about 10 yrs, then decided to save money!

yeah man. paying $50-60 for a month is pain. we have metropcs in our area but i dare to try it. anyway $30 is a good deal. but i think it would been nicer if they offered unlimited night/weekends.

Be careful what you wish for.

http://www.no-evil.net/

So I am dropping Tmo. I ordered 2 phones at wally dot com. Has anyone else tried this service? Mine are set to arrive site to store between 7-2-09 to 7-7-09

Well, I received my StraightTalk phone on Thursday and registered it online right away. Within an hour or 2 my phone number was switched over and then I got a call from StraightTalk that I could now activate my phone. It didn't take long, a few minutes at most. So far so good!

so could i use a unlocked gdma phone with this plan

As an FYI:
1. You cannot use any other phones than the three they offer. Even if you already have a Verizon phone, you cannot use it with Straight Talk.
1. No roaming charges - pretty standard nowadays.
Straight Talk service/phones will not work outside the USA. This includes Mexico and Canada.

miss-post

wish I could get confirmation of whether or not this includes post-merger Alltel towers... Verizon has great coverage where I live, but only through old Alltel towers.

anyone know if you can port a tracfone number to straightalk?

Man I ordered this site-to-store weeks ago. Wal-Mart has shown it shipped for well over a week. Fed ex says the tracking number is invalid. Wal-Mart sucks! What was I thinking. Oh course they won't offer any service but email which only generates an automated response.

Update: Wal-Mart gave mea gift card for $60 to cover overnight shipping for the inconvenience. I used it for standard shipping and got $50 off the phones. The phones are great and so is the service off of the verizon towers. Highly recommended.

anyone signed up for their unlimited service plan?

I think I'll wait till the coverage expands and more people post reviews on the unlimited plan.

Wow what really crapy phones...let's see if that changes..this is a good deal if you will use all those min...
I'm from the AMP'd deal years back and then now Pageplus..don't use the phone enough to get this deal yet..
airvoice web site just had a pageplus 80.00 card for 69.00 which make calls at .05 a min.
good for 120days..this deal here is better if you use the 1000 min - WAY BETTER!!
Wish we can use Amp'd phones with the service.. I would think that signing up the phone would fail on the web site...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014