• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Stumbled across and "unadvertised" Father's Day special at Home Depot. (Wasn't in normal sale flyer...but instead on a 1-page photocopied sheet of deals the salesclerks had.)

Husky 10-Drawer Tool Chest
- Top & Bottom Unit (Marked 'Box 1 of 2' and 'Box 2 of 2'...make sure you grab BOTH)
- 26" Wide (std size)
- 10-Drawers (5 in bottom unit, 5 in top)
- BALL-BEARING(!!!) Full-Extension Slides
- 5" x 1" Casters
- Black Powdercoat Finish (...claimed on box...who knows what the Chinese factory actually uses...)

SKU 482-449
Sale Price: $199.00
10% Off: -$19.90 (...used active duty military discount, but moving coupon would also work...)
Total: $179.10

Can't find the SKU online (or any Husky automotive tool chest for that matter) and it might be a special part # for this "set", since tool boxes are normally sold separately as top and bottom. The closest Sears equivalent is 87735 and 87737 ball-bearing chests, which are normally $449.99 and on sale for $314.98 (after $100 off + 10% coupon)...at $150 less than the Craftsman set, this Husky deal is HOT!!!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Right, I noticed that some parts of the tool chest I've got is slightly bent because the metal used to construct the che... (more)

paulgoh (Jun. 17, 2009 @ 7:21p) |

I dropped by Sears earlier today to examine their mid range tool chests that cost about $450 or so. They even have some ... (more)

paulgoh (Jun. 18, 2009 @ 2:15a) |

Same thoughts here. The drawers and overall structure of the Husky chest are excellent for a chest in this price range.... (more)

jarhed (Jun. 18, 2009 @ 12:12p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Woo! I've been needing to upgrade from my tool bag. I've been wanting one of those Snap On Utility carts, but this is a great deal!
Gonna go check out my local HD.

Green OP!

Add w/coupon to the title please.

Saw these the other day too. The ball bearing drawers are nice, but the drawer bottoms seem light duty. They sag a bit if you put weight in em. If you're not going to put anything too heavy in them, it's a great deal...

Thanks OP, 2 left in Apex NC.

What is a "ball-bearing tool", and why would I need ten drawers in a chest for one?

What kind of car did you bring this home in? It probably wouldn't fit in a regular sedan as I tried to bring home a Craftsman bottom chest once in a 4DR BMW and it didn't fit. Had to come back with a 2DR Honda CRX. Tempted to buy one of these..

ty! will check

ninjaman said: What kind of car did you bring this home in? It probably wouldn't fit in a regular sedan as I tried to bring home a Craftsman bottom chest once in a 4DR BMW and it didn't fit. Had to come back with a 2DR Honda CRX. Tempted to buy one of these..

Large bottom chest (in the box) just barely fit in the back seat of my '98 Toyota Camry...top chest (boxed) easily fit in the trunk...

Edit: Just measured...larger of the two cardboard boxes is 29" x 28" x 19"...you could trim 2" or so off each dimension by removing from the box before packing in a car, just bring a blanket or something to wrap it in so you don't dent/scratch it up...

rocket57 said: Saw these the other day too. The ball bearing drawers are nice, but the drawer bottoms seem light duty. They sag a bit if you put weight in em. If you're not going to put anything too heavy in them, it's a great deal...

They are slightly lighter duty (probably next gauge down in sheetmetal) from my 'Husky Pro' set, but that was a $700 MSRP set...(that I nabbed for $50 each top and bottom on clearance when they couldn't find them in the SKU system and just 'guessed' at a fair price )...and these drawers/slides are on-par with the Craftsman boxes in the $500 range...
.
Also, the fact these are 10 shallow drawers, except for the bottom one, should keep most people from being able to overload the drawers...I've got 40+ open end wrenches in one of the middle drawers with no sagging and smooth opening.

SelfGovern said: What is a "ball-bearing tool", and why would I need ten drawers in a chest for one?

Just in case this is not a lame attempt at sarcasm...

The slides on the doors are 'ball-bearing'...which means they open a lot smoother, especially when you have the drawers filled with heavy tools...

(...sort of middle-range between cheaply made entry level "homeowner" Craftsman tool boxes and the much higher $$$ Snap-On type set-ups...)

Just picked one up! Thanks!

Ditto, Thanks OP!

Good deal but can't find space in my garage.

I got one too, thanks OP!

Mine is missing the 16 washers used in attaching the castors to the base. What a bummer...I'm heading back to HD to see how they handle this...

These are getting picked-through...

They only had 2 left at my local HD. I chose the one with the best looking box only to get it home and find that it had huge dents all accross the front handles. I went to another store which only had one left. I got the 2nd one home to find a dent in the back, but I can live with it. If you want one of these, make sure you inspect it right-away...

I added the Sears_ 260 pieces Mechanic Tool set for a really nice setup. The Sears_ tool set has a lot of 6 point sockets and really nice socket trays that will fit nicely into the middle shelves on the tool chest...

The “price hotness” of this deal is questionable at best and the OPs Craftsman model comparisons are not even remotely comparable models. In a word this Husky is cheap! It is not even remotely close in terms of the commercial quality to those Sears models. The cheap bearing wheels and GA steel used in these Hunskys is a joke. If you want a true compatible Sear model you would have to look at Sears Champion brand tool chests which sell for the same sub $200 price. Furthermore the regular HD original price for this Husky set (yes despite the OPs claims according to HDs AS400 this has always been sold as a set at HD) is $229 in their system but the HD manager who assisted me show me in their AS400 it has been at $199 mfg reduced pricing nationwide in their system for over a year so the only real deal here is the 10% off using a coupon.
While < $200 is certainly a good deal for a ball bearing chest don’t for even a minute think this or any other ball bearing chest sold under $200 that is not mis-priced is a quality setup. For example The low quality wheels on this Husky chest are rated at 250lbs! That is simply an insult for a rolling tool chest and as anyone who works with these tool chests will tell you the true sign of quality in a professional tool chest starts with the wheels. If you are going to use this husky exclusively in a garage and never move it then this is an OK deal. However personally if you are on a budget I would look the Lowes Cobalt (built by Snap-on) chests they have on clearance for $250

I would rather grab a bunch of washers off the shelf than lug it back in the store. You've got to box it up and everything. Bring in the bolts for sizing.

jarhed said: Mine is missing the 16 washers used in attaching the castors to the base. What a bummer...I'm heading back to HD to see how they handle this...

Mine didn't have the washers either...

cnIsfg said: The “price hotness” of this deal is questionable at best and the OPs Craftsman model comparisons are not even remotely comparable models. In a word this Husky is cheap! It is not even remotely close in terms of the commercial quality to those Sears models. The cheap bearing wheels and GA steel used in these Hunskys is a joke. If you want a true compatible Sear model you would have to look at Sears Champion brand tool chests which sell for the same sub $200 price. Furthermore the regular HD original price for this Husky set (yes despite the OPs claims according to HDs AS400 this has always been sold as a set at HD) is $229 in their system but the HD manager who assisted me show me in their AS400 it has been at $199 mfg reduced pricing nationwide in their system for over a year so the only real deal here is the 10% off using a coupon.
While < $200 is certainly a good deal for a ball bearing chest don’t for even a minute think this or any other ball bearing chest sold under $200 that is not mis-priced is a quality setup. For example The low quality wheels on this Husky chest are rated at 250lbs! That is simply an insult for a rolling tool chest and as anyone who works with these tool chests will tell you the true sign of quality in a professional tool chest starts with the wheels. If you are going to use this husky exclusively in a garage and never move it then this is an OK deal. However personally if you are on a budget I would look the Lowes Cobalt (built by Snap-on) chests they have on clearance for $250


After reading this, I went to Lowes to take a look at their tool chest, wow, there is a huge difference in quality between the HD Husky chest and the Kobalt chests (There is a huge price difference too...). However, Lowes has a line of Task Force tool chests that are of a significantly lower quality than the HD Husky chest. I have another Husky chest that I bought previously (was $300 marked down to $150) and it appears that my old Husky chest is of a better quality than the new Husky chest, i.e., thicker metal, ball bearing drawers feels smoother and studier, etc. I guess all in all, $199 is still a good price for a chest of this size and quality and it will serve my needs as I don't have more than 200 pounds of tools...

paulgoh said: cnIsfg said: The “price hotness” of this deal is questionable at best and the OPs Craftsman model comparisons are not even remotely comparable models. In a word this Husky is cheap! It is not even remotely close in terms of the commercial quality to those Sears models. The cheap bearing wheels and GA steel used in these Hunskys is a joke. If you want a true compatible Sear model you would have to look at Sears Champion brand tool chests which sell for the same sub $200 price. Furthermore the regular HD original price for this Husky set (yes despite the OPs claims according to HDs AS400 this has always been sold as a set at HD) is $229 in their system but the HD manager who assisted me show me in their AS400 it has been at $199 mfg reduced pricing nationwide in their system for over a year so the only real deal here is the 10% off using a coupon.
While < $200 is certainly a good deal for a ball bearing chest don’t for even a minute think this or any other ball bearing chest sold under $200 that is not mis-priced is a quality setup. For example The low quality wheels on this Husky chest are rated at 250lbs! That is simply an insult for a rolling tool chest and as anyone who works with these tool chests will tell you the true sign of quality in a professional tool chest starts with the wheels. If you are going to use this husky exclusively in a garage and never move it then this is an OK deal. However personally if you are on a budget I would look the Lowes Cobalt (built by Snap-on) chests they have on clearance for $250


After reading this, I went to Lowes to take a look at their tool chest, wow, there is a huge difference in quality between the HD Husky chest and the Kobalt chests (There is a huge price difference too...). However, Lowes has a line of Task Force tool chests that are of a significantly lower quality than the HD Husky chest. I have another Husky chest that I bought previously (was $300 marked down to $150) and it appears that my old Husky chest is of a better quality than the new Husky chest, i.e., thicker metal, ball bearing drawers feels smoother and studier, etc. I guess all in all, $199 is still a good price for a chest of this size and quality and it will serve my needs as I don't have more than 200 pounds of tools...


FYI the older blue Cobolt chests are on clearance at MANY Lowes. A lot of them don't have the clearance prices posted. You just have to ask. Most of the ones that were $550-$600 are now well under $300 with a few bases as low as $200. I got the mid range 11 drawer two piece Cobalt chest with magentic drawer retracters for ~ $260 after a 10% Lowes coupon and sales tax back in early May.

Remember the Husky name at HD is not the old Husky hand tool company your dad knew. They are LONG gone. Home Depot acquired the Husky trademark back in 2004 and now uses it for their own private label brand. HD has everything from trash bags to generators with the Husky label. As posed earleir thre is nothing wrong with this Husky chest if that is all you need/afford. However despite claims by the OP:

Itt is not on sale. $199 is the regualar price for this "special purchase item" for over a year now. Before that it was $229.
It is in the HD national 6/4 ad on page 27.
It does have a Home Depot SKU 482449.
This particular set has never been sold by HD sold as seperate components.
This particular set does NOT have anything remotely resembling a powdercoat finish.
The price vs quality is identical to any other sub $200 tool chest you can get from Harbor Freight, Sears, Northern etc...

cnIsfg said: (yes despite the OPs claims according to HDs AS400 this has always been sold as a set at HD) is $229 in their system but the HD manager who assisted me show me in their AS400...

While < $200 is certainly a good deal for a ball bearing chest don’t for even a minute think this or any other ball bearing chest sold under $200 that is not mis-priced is a quality setup...


I never claimed this was ever sold individually...in fact I specifically posted that I couldn't find the SKU online and it was probably specially packaged as a set...

Can you even find another sub-$200 chest set anywhere with ball-bearing slides? Except for my mispriced Husky Pro boxes (which I agree are much more heavy-duty)...I've never seen any ball-bearing setup under $300 (not even Harbor Freight crap)...in the sub-$200 price range you're not even going to get "quiet glide" (ie. plastic insert) drawer slides at Sears...

Sorry it's not the Snap On professional line at 90% off...but it's still a heck of a lot better deal than any other sets in the price range...

cnIsfg said: This particular set does NOT have anything remotely resembling a powdercoat finish.

Box claims "Tough Industrial Powdercoat Paint Finish"

And my previous Husky Pro boxes have an indestructible black & silver 'hammer tone' powdercoat finish...so that experience is what I based the initial posting on...

I've updated to reflect that the finish might be anything the Chinese factory chose to substitute to screw with Home Depot!

ninjaman said: I would rather grab a bunch of washers off the shelf than lug it back in the store. You've got to box it up and everything. Bring in the bolts for sizing.

Oh no, I'm not bringin the whole thing back...just the receipt, instructions that show the washers, and a bolt for them to give me the correct washers. If they do not give them to me I am not going to buy them from HD...that's just thanking them for sticking it to ya!

I saw this at HD. Definitely bad quality. Should do fine for the average user. The actual deal is the 10% coupon as these are not worth $200.

Seems HD has paired up a Husky 6 drawer chest and perhaps the same 5 drawer cabinet on sale this week for $206 ($185.4 after 10%) Seems for $6.30 less you get a better deal.
Thanks OP

Mine is missing the 16 washers too!! What did you guys do to get the washers? Please share your experiences, thanks!

paulgoh said: Mine is missing the 16 washers too!! What did you guys do to get the washers? Please share your experiences, thanks!

HD took care of it. I went to the service desk with the instructions from the tool chest, they sent me back to the hardware section where I picked out the washers.

i bought this and returned it...quality just isn't there
it was already banged up out of the box

RainmanCP said: i bought this and returned it...quality just isn't there
it was already banged up out of the box


Right, I noticed that some parts of the tool chest I've got is slightly bent because the metal used to construct the chest is paper thin. Now I'm having second thoughts about this chest but like the OP mentioned, I can't seem to find a ball bearing chest of this size at this price, and I do need a tool chest soon. Maybe I'll stop by Sears to have a look at their chests...

I dropped by Sears earlier today to examine their mid range tool chests that cost about $450 or so. They even have some quiet glide chests in that price range that are pretty crappy, with drawers wobbling when I pull them, but their ball bearing chests are pretty decent and after a close examination and testing of sheet metal strength and stuff, I realized that the quality of the Husky chest is at least equivalent, if not better than the $450 craftsman ball bearing chests. So, the OP was indeed accurate and honest when he compared the Husky chest to the ball bearing craftsman chest. I think I'll keep my Husky chest...

paulgoh said: I dropped by Sears earlier today to examine their mid range tool chests that cost about $450 or so. They even have some quiet glide chests in that price range that are pretty crappy, with drawers wobbling when I pull them, but their ball bearing chests are pretty decent and after a close examination and testing of sheet metal strength and stuff, I realized that the quality of the Husky chest is at least equivalent, if not better than the $450 craftsman ball bearing chests. So, the OP was indeed accurate and honest when he compared the Husky chest to the ball bearing craftsman chest. I think I'll keep my Husky chest...

Same thoughts here. The drawers and overall structure of the Husky chest are excellent for a chest in this price range.

BTW, thanks OP!!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014