• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Promo Code: ONSALE - Angie's List will waive the activation fee (normally $15) and you just pay monthly (varies city to city - in Boston it's $8.75/month). My husband and I were looking for a moving company, and we were getting quotes in the $500 range. We found a very highly rated company on Angie's List and they quoted us (with a guarantee) $220!

Angie's List is an online ratings website for local service companies (movers, painters, housecleaners, plumbers, carpenters, gardeners, doctors, dentists, auto body shops, etc). Since people pay for membership, they invest more time in making accurate ratings.
Link

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I considered this web site before but this is way too expensive for what it offers. You can find ratings from many other web sites for free.(Try Yahoo! locals, Better Business Bureau, and many others)They may not be 100% accurate but you can make your judgement based on the contents of the reviews(instead of the number of stars alone) I pay for Consumer Reports Online which costs about $2 a month to get various reviews on products and services, including an electronic version of their monthly magazine issue. Angie's List should lower the fees if they want more participants. It's not worth $8.95 a month PLUS activation fee unless they can cover at least 90% of the businesses in my neighborhood, which is unlikely.

Seems like a good deal to me, on a product I have no interest in.
But worth green, since it is a good deal.

For a single month membership this is a good deal. In my area it was only $5.95 since the activation was waived and worth it to me to review contractors for potential $10,000 jobs. I also visit BBB but more info certainly doesn't hurt.

MeestrHappy said: For a single month membership this is a good deal. In my area it was only $5.95 since the activation was waived and worth it to me to review contractors for potential $10,000 jobs. I also visit BBB but more info certainly doesn't hurt.

I agree. If you're spending big bucks for a service it might be worth a one month subscription just to get some more data in addition to BBB, CL, State Contractors board, word of mouth, other forums, etc.

However an ongoing AL subscription is a waste of $'s IMHO. Angie should just switch to an ad paid business model. Maybe she could get the bimbo from Progressive Insurance to fund her site. It seems like Progressive is funding the entire internet these days!!

Yelp has helped me make informed decisions about things like movers
and restaurants in the Boston area.

NJ is $10 activation and $4.50/mo. Good timing, need roof work.

Looking through the list it looks like the "reviews" could easily be entered by employees of the various companies.

Be careful if you decide to sign up for just one month.Make sure you call to cancel.From the fees page:

Continuous Service Membership: To ensure uninterrupted service, monthly, annual, and multi-year memberships will be renewed automatically at the end of each term and continue until you decide to cancel. Your credit card will be charged at the rate then in effect on the renewal date for the payment plan you selected. Cancel any time. Sorry, no refunds for monthly memberships. Annual and multi-year memberships are backed by our 110% money back, satisfaction guarantee.

Just a heads up.

It is $5.95 for So. Cal. Not terrible for good info. I wonder if the subscription rate is related to the amount of companies they have reviewed in your area.

Be very careful with Angie's List. I am on a free trial membership (they are new in my location) and they have not posted my negative report on a dental practice for over two weeks. They did post my positive report on a construction firm within days. I just wonder if they "screen" responses before posting. I even inquired as to the status of my negative report and Angie's List has not responded to me within their stated 2 day response time.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't find anywhere on the website where it tells me if they're in my area and what it costs without entering my email address.

Just start the signup process ("JOIN NOW"), it will ask for your ZIP code and give you the fees.

FuriousGeorge11 said: Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't find anywhere on the website where it tells me if they're in my area and what it costs without entering my email address.

Not rating the thread but for what its worth, the service was highly suspect when we used it for a year (prior Fatwallet thread). Their highest rated vendors in several categories were incompetent when we used them and the ones we didn't end up using lied about needed work in some cases and overlooked obviously needed work in other cases, I assume the latter was to allow them to raise the price after the work started. Wondering why we had such bad luck with Angie's List, I started Googling and found many oppinions posted. Of course there is no proof for people's speculations but much sounded very plausible and when combines with the results lead me to believe them.

20% off. Use promo code MORNING20 by 9/9.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014