• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Note I Pulled This From S/D cannondale

.40 S&W AMMO- 500 rds for $75 -Whoa!- {damaged?} = Range Ammo
J&G has this deal on "water damaged" 40 caliber ammo. They say it is only suitable for the reloading, but I have a feeling that it would be great range ammo. I'm will take a $75 gamble to get some perfectly cheap ammo to take out to the range with me.

"New 40S&W caliber ammo, from various manufacturers such as Federal, Speer, or others. Has the special frangible bullet often chosen by LE. Due to extensive water damage, this ammo is sold For Components Only. It is not to be fired and is only suitable for reusing the components for reloading. Comes loose in a 500rd box."

LINK

Please let me know what you think. I have not had any experience with ammo in this condition, but I expect it should be fine if the exterior of the casing isn't damaged.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Here is a review from the website:

well first off this is headstamped LF which means lead free. the primers are crimped in . And the flash hole is bigger for the lead free primers. Reload accodingly...frangible bullits dont pull and be happy for scrap prices on the brass.BUT ive shot alot of it and most go bang with the ocacional sqib , NOT for the perfectionist!!! Buy as is and be happy. I m gettin more.

May have to try this out! If MOST fire then it would be good to train with! Great for training for FAILURE to FIRES!

griffeycom said: Here is a review from the website:
the ocacional sqib

Great for training for FAILURE to FIRES!

True on the FtF's, but squib = not for the beginner.
a squib is generally a round that doesn't have enough force to make it out the end of your barrel. So if you confuse it with a FtF, and just rack a new round in... that next trigger pull can cost you a LOT more $.

Butcherboy, great deal... you might want to put a little more warning into the OP for the gun noobs that think a squib is one of those non-magical folk from Harry Potter.

p.s.
If this was either 9mm or .223 I'd be all over it.

Not for beginners or people that like their gun (maybe those that bought a hipoint) or people that dont really need all ten fingers or one or two of their hands. really bad things happen to guns and appendages when u intentionally use "damaged" ammo. just my 2 cents.

tankker said: Not for beginners or people that like their gun (maybe those that bought a hipoint) or people that dont really need all ten fingers or one or two of their hands. really bad things happen to guns and appendages when u intentionally use "damaged" ammo. just my 2 cents.

sheez, if they say don't use, why would someone want to take a chance?

I suppose if you are real dimwit you could throw the 500 rounds into a flaming barrel to test your kevlar body armor

There are some things you just don't take a chance on, and one of those is bad ammunition.

I wouldn't even reload it without a thorough inspection, and even then I'd be reluctant, I could just see KB's by the handful.

PS don't get me wrong, I appreciate people looking for ammo deals.

merovign said: There are some things you just don't take a chance on, and one of those is bad ammunition.

I wouldn't even reload it without a thorough inspection, and even then I'd be reluctant, I could just see KB's by the handful.

The frangible bullets will deform when you pull the bullet out. So basically you are taking a chance on the casings.

Like I mentioned in SD post of this deal, if you buy this and someone gets hurt (you, person close to you at the range), you will be paying through your nose in civil suit(s) as well as criminal charges which may or may not come from any injuries due to user's negligence.

There are some things you never buy damaged.

Ammo, Guns, and air bags.

Is it really worth saving $50 on (maybe less w/ shipping)? Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass and Federal for $12.50/50 all day long. In fact, its the only caliber I have consistently seen available at WM.

Those cases don't look bad, I wouldn't worry about "losing fingers" and other such talk. A squib however sounds like a distinct possibility and that of course is a different matter for safety of you and your equipment.

The price is tempted, but I don't think it's worth the risk at all. Not worth damaging my gun or an injury.

purduephotog said: There are some things you never buy damaged.

And women...

This is not something to even consider for shooting. DON'T DO IT.

poison7FL said: purduephotog said: There are some things you never buy damaged.

And women...

Not true!!! Damaged women are the best!

merovign said: There are some things you just don't take a chance on, and one of those is bad ammunition.

Great post, could not agree more.
Is it really worth saving a couple of bucks to take this kind of risk?

WalMart is carrying Federal now. I believe It's taking Blazer's place or that's just what is available, but lately it's been Federal at the same price.

rumpletzer said: purduephotog said: There are some things you never buy damaged.

And women...

Not true!!! Damaged women are the best!

I think Purdue was referring to the outrageous restocking fees if you have to return one.

If this is factory ammo, that got wet, then what's all the cryin' for? Water makes powder suddenly more volatile? Gonna hurt somebody? Use them and learn how to handle a weapon in an emergency situation, ... tap, rack and bang. Hey, obviously not for the inexperienced shooter, but don't act like its nitroglycerin. We load empty cases, blanks, duds, etc in magazines all the time.. and ammo ain't cheap!!

The factory loads correct grains of the appropriate powder. If these were reloads... yeah, forget it. Nothing like having black marks down your hand from a weak case and a hot load of who-knows-what.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014