• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Looks like Toshiba released it a bit early.

New Toshiba laptops running Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate
purchased between June 26th, 2009 and January 31st, 2010 qualify for the Windows® 7 Upgrade Offer.
Refurbished Toshiba laptops do not qualify for this offer.

I wonder if Dell and HP will offer free Win7 upgrades for refurbished PCs and laptops?

*Update2* Looks like Dell Outlet PC purchases(model-dependent) are eligible for free Windows 7 upgrades starting today.
The unofficial information is available Here (Facebook Link)
Right now the I7-920 models with ATI 4850 are all gone. If they ever come back at $629 with free Windows 7 upgrade, the package could be REALLY attractive. HP has no comparable desktop offers so far.

Acer
Asus
Dell*Select refurbished PCs are eligible as of 6/29 call 1-866-492-6720 to confirm
Dell (new)
eMachines
Fujitsu
Gateway
HP eligible models *Majority of HP refurbished PCs also eligible!
Lenovo
Packard Bell
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Others

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did you received the upgrade disk? Does it comes with an option to fresh install?

kickerstarter (Dec. 05, 2009 @ 8:57a) |

There is no 'fresh install' option, per say, however if you follow the directions given several other locations througho... (more)

mrdjman (Dec. 05, 2009 @ 9:34a) |

No, you can't. You can only use Upgrade or Full Retail keys using standard retail media for Windows 7, thanks to the ei.... (more)

marsilies (Dec. 05, 2009 @ 9:57a) |

Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program
Microsoft says all laptops on this page qualify for the Windows 7 Upgrade Option
Microsoft Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer

Beware with Dell Outlet advertisement on Windows 7 Upgrade. I bought the qualified Studio laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium (within the qualified purchase period). The upgrade page will not validate. Call Dell Support and was told that none of the refurbished system purchased from Dell Outlet is qualified for Windows 7 Upgrade. Tried to contact Dell Outlet and didn't get me anywhere.

I am sure that Dell outlets (certain series only) are definitely eligible for the upgrade. I purchased a studio Z 1440 from the outlet store about a month ago and it is registered and I can see the win7 Home premium 64bit version in my cart when I log into the upgrade site. Some people have reported problems but a call to the CSR is supposed to fix those "glitches".

I had no problem with Windows 7 upgrade for refurbished Outlet system purchased in September 2009. The systems are clearly eligible...
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

View said: Looks like they released it a bit early.

Information and Redemption

purchased between June 26th, 2009 and January 31st, 2010 qualify for the Windows® 7 Upgrade Offer.

I wonder if Dell and HP will offer free Win7 upgrades for refurbished PCs and laptops?

RE:

I do not see why they should.

OP, maybe remove Toshiba from the title and we can post links to the others. I guess the Dell program came out today too.

HP Offers Customers Free Upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7

HP and Windows® 7 from Microsoft

yesidonoitall said: View said: Looks like they released it a bit early.

RE:

i do not see why the should not

soundxli said: OP, maybe remove Toshiba from the title and we can post links to the others. I guess the Dell program came out today too.
/Q]
Thanks for the links. Dell and HP probably won't release the details so soon due to NDA.

The Dell program for small businesses is here.
Link
No information from Dell Home yet.

SleekWallet said:

It depends on how desperate they want to get rid of those refurbished PCs.
The vendors actually have to pay Microsoft an undisclosed amount of fee for each "Free Win7 Upgrade".
Therefore, they may offer the option only with purchase of specific models.

Still need Acer, Asus, Alienware, Fujitsu, Gateway, Motion Computing, MSI, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony.

be sure to find out if your equipment will provided with new drivers. i had to get a lot of new stuff when i switched to vista, and eventually went back to xp anyway.

HP was the worst one for making you have to buy new equipment (scanner for me) but the epson scanners i found to be better. i've got the V500 and GT-1500. the V-500 is better than the canon that's in the same price range, but canon is still very, very good.

SleekWallet said: yesidonoitall said: View said: Looks like they released it a bit early.

RE:

One thing is it would cost them.
MS does not give it way.

too bad oem builds don't get nothing aww....

Also, according to this Informationweek page pre-orders start tomorrow for $49 and $99. I don't believe this requires a PC purchase.

"But U.S. shoppers who pre-order between June 26th and July 11th will receive discounts of 50% or more, Microsoft said. For instance, Windows 7 Home Premium will sell for $49 during the discount period, while Windows 7 Professional will sell for $99. Participating retailers include Best Buy and Amazon, as well as Microsoft's own online store."

lazybummm said: too bad oem builds don't get nothing aww....

Well at least according to the Microsoft OEM systembuilder site they do....

The best way to prepare to sell Windows 7 is to sell Windows Vista today — and the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program is designed to help you do that.

Help Sales Today with the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program — Available June 26
Anticipation for the Windows 7 operating system is high – but you need to sell PCs today. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program will help you do this. This optional, low-cost program allows partners who purchase a qualifying Windows Vista SKU from an Authorized Microsoft Distributor to:

Provide a Windows 7 Upgrade Option offer form to customers.
This offer form can be redeemed for a free Windows 7 upgrade when Windows 7 is available.
How It Works

Purchase a qualifying Windows Vista Upgrade Option SKU from your Authorized OEM Microsoft Distributor (Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate with an accompanying Upgrade Option offer form).
Preinstall this qualifying Windows Vista operating system on a PC.
Sell the PC during the eligibility period and give the Upgrade Option offer form to the customer.
The customer visits a fulfillment Web site to order the upgrade at no additional cost.
Microsoft manages the Web site upgrade requests and media fulfillment process.
After Windows 7 is released, the customers will receive from Microsoft a comparable version of Windows 7 for installation on their PCs.

Generate Demand with Windows 7 Upgrade Option Marketing Resources

Take advantage of the Windows 7 Upgrade Option program with marketing resources from Microsoft.

Resource Description
System Builder Marketing Guidelines for Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program
.pdf 4.5 MB
Consult this guide to understand the upgrade program and how to use the marketing assets.
Upgrade Option Offers Multiple Paths to Windows 7*

Upgrade media will be product version specific and must correspond to the Qualifying Product Version.

If a customer buys a PC preinstalled with this: They are upgraded to:
Windows Vista Home Premium Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate Windows 7 Ultimate

* Non-qualifying Windows OS versions: Windows XP (all versions), Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Starter.

Microsoft offered a similar OEM upgrade program for small system builders when Vista was released. Just check pleaces like Newegg,ZFF, CheifValue, etc... for the OEM systembuilder Windows 7 offer starting tomorrow.

does this mean no matter where I purchase a HP, it would qualify? Or does one have to buy from HP directly?

canoner2000 said: does this mean no matter where I purchase a HP, it would qualify? Or does one have to buy from HP directly?

You can't just buy anywhere but you also don't have to buy direct from HP either....

Purchase a HP laptop or PC with a qualifying* version of Vista preinstalled from any authorized HP reseller betwween between June 26, 2009 and December 31, 2009. Submit your preregistration form online at HP.com along with a copy of your store receipt showing your eligible HP purchase and payment method (if applicable)to the address below to receive your upgrade:

*Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Basic, Windows Vista® Starter Edition and Windows® XP do not qualify for upgrades to Windows 7 under this program

Before you get all wrapped up in the hype remember that the many Intel processors don't have VT capability. Double check if you need XP-mode.

Sony web says to check baCk on 26 thLINK

cnIsfg said: canoner2000 said: does this mean no matter where I purchase a HP, it would qualify? Or does one have to buy from HP directly?

You can't just buy anywhere but you also don't have to buy direct from HP either....

Purchase a HP laptop or PC with a qualifying* version of Vista preinstalled from any authorized HP reseller betwween between June 26, 2009 and December 31, 2009. Submit your preregistration form online at HP.com along with a copy of your store receipt showing your eligible HP purchase and payment method (if applicable)to the address below to receive your upgrade:

*Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Basic, Windows Vista® Starter Edition and Windows® XP do not qualify for upgrades to Windows 7 under this program

who are autorized HP resellers? Is TD on the list?

With three gigs of ram, I am doing fine with Vista home basic. Do I really need to upgrade?

These programs are only guaranteeing they will send you a Windows 7 upgrade. They don't guarantee that Windows 7 will run on the machine problem free.

I am in the market for a desktop, but I am looking for a company who has run the latest version of Windows 7 on the machine and has verified it works perfectly before I am buying.

clearanceman said: With three gigs of ram, I am doing fine with Vista home basic. Do I really need to upgrade?
No.

disposable said: be sure to find out if your equipment will provided with new drivers. i had to get a lot of new stuff when i switched to vista, and eventually went back to xp anyway.

HP was the worst one for making you have to buy new equipment (scanner for me) but the epson scanners i found to be better. i've got the V500 and GT-1500. the V-500 is better than the canon that's in the same price range, but canon is still very, very good.

I have an old HP Business Inkjet 1100d Printer, and when I look for Vista drivers on the HP website it says "HP Deskjet and Business Inkjet Printer Series - HP Product Is Not Supported in Microsoft Windows Vista". But I used the XP drivers in both Vista Business and Windows 7 RC and they work fine (which means I can print and can change the print options). Also, I'm typing this message on my old Dell C840 with a 64MB Nvidia card (removed/replaced the original 32MB). There are no Vista drivers for this old laptop, but the XP driver works perfectly fine in both Vista Business and Windows 7 RC too. So, my advice is don't just go out and buy new equipment without trying the existing XP drivers. The install program may tell you that the driver is not compatible, so you may have to install the driver manually, but it may work fine.

From the Lenovo site:
Customers are responsible for shipping + handling and any tax or duty fees unless otherwise notified.

I sure hope they're not planning to do it eBay style on this.

soundxli said: OP, maybe remove Toshiba from the title and we can post links to the others. I guess the Dell program came out today too.

Where's the Dell link?

Sychev22 said: soundxli said: OP, maybe remove Toshiba from the title and we can post links to the others. I guess the Dell program came out today too.

Where's the Dell link?

Announced Here & Dell's Windows 7 Option Upgrade Website here

deleted duplicate link

"You must provide Proof of Purchase via an original receipt for the place of purchase of the qualifying Toshiba laptop computer that identifies retailer/reseller, laptop part number, serial number, and date of purchase that is with the Upgrade Promotion period to the designated Toshiba Redemption Center."

^^ pretty much impossible

On the previous XP to Vista upgrade, the upgrade disk from HP would install vista on a different computer using a new product key.

clearanceman said: With three gigs of ram, I am doing fine with Vista home basic. Do I really need to upgrade?
It's not just your RAM, it's your hardware.
I like Win7; I ran the beta, and I'm currently running the RC.
At $49 a pop I'm all over this for two or three of my machines.

This is my first time purchasing an OS upgrade without a new laptop or desktop.

Offering free beta copies of Win7 was one of the smartest things MS has done in a long time. My netbook is much more responsive in Win7 Release Candidate than it ever was in XP.

Great thing, I wish I bought my new laptop a few weeks later, doh.

Well, wonder when Acer/Gateway will get in on the act.

wildbottom said: Well, wonder when Acer/Gateway will get in on the act.

yep, I'm waiting for the Acer announcement too. There's a laptop i've been itching to get.

Same here. I just ordered my new Dell Latitude E4300 Laptop last night (6/25). Thinking of calling the CS today to cancel the order and place a new order.

jonny4 said: Great thing, I wish I bought my new laptop a few weeks later, doh.

Would Dell Outlet purchases qualify in their program?

If you received a Microsoft Offer Form when you purchased your qualifying Windows Vista computer, you can order your upgrade on this Website at no additional cost to you.

Skipping 162 Messages...
rigor said: you can use any key with any standard retail media ahem my digital life
No, you can't. You can only use Upgrade or Full Retail keys using standard retail media for Windows 7, thanks to the ei.cfg file MS include on the disc. If you delete the ei.cfg file from the install media, then you can use any key.

If you have an ISO, you can use ei.cfg Removal Utility available here:
http://code.kliu.org/misc/win7utils/

And if you don't have an ISO, I'd rather use the official download links available on this thread than a pirated copy from a different site:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/953148

Note that while you probably can install Win7 using any valid key and ei.cfg-less media, you might not be able to activate Win7, depending on the activation method OEMs intended their custom media to use.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014