Home Depot Lehr Propane Weed Wacker $99

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Propane weed eaters saving the environment.....Not! Low torque makes you run the motor longer. Propane is a expensive fuel and it yields less btu's than gasoline. In other words you will use more propane in this weed eater vs a conventional gas and run the engine longer. Much like bottled water, bottled propane has a huge carbon footprint on the environment. You have to consider fabrication of the steel containers, paint, plastic decals, transportation of the steel container too the fuel source. Now factor in the energy used to contain the fuel source and transport the final product in its container. Transportation from the different factories, distributor and your local hardware store. Disposal of the spent container also comes into play. Fuel used in the garbage trucks and landfill space the empty bottles occupy.

From the HD site
2 Hours run time on a single canister
mushman said "I just got a 6-pack from BJ's Wholesale Club for $17.99" = $3 per canister
$3 to run for 2 hours. You've got to be kidding me. At $3 per gallon for gas, I can get a lot more than 2 hours from a gas (2 or 4 cycle) trimmer. You really are doing this if you care about the environment?

They should have designed it to run a BBQ/Rotisserie attachment as well.

GeorgeGarman said: From the HD site
2 Hours run time on a single canister
mushman said "I just got a 6-pack from BJ's Wholesale Club for $17.99" = $3 per canister
$3 to run for 2 hours. You've got to be kidding me. At $3 per gallon for gas, I can get a lot more than 2 hours from a gas (2 or 4 cycle) trimmer. You really are doing this if you care about the environment?

Point proven... I use my echo 230 weed eater an average of 1 hour every weekend. One gallon of gas last me about 6 months. That's one trip to the gas station every six months and I reuse the container for transportation. Explain to me how propane and its steel containers save the environment.

if you actually start using a lot of propane and you're concerned about the bottles...reuse them:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45989

glenatuf said: if you actually start using a lot of propane and you're concerned about the bottles...reuse them:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber...

I do this but it is illegal in many states, be warned. Plus you need the right canister, some of the ones from the hardware stores are not designed to be refilled and the valve will fail after attaching that refill hookup.

On another note many hardware stores sell these propane canisters for $1.50 each so whoever got them at BJs got ripped off. Should be no more than $10 for a 6 pack if u shop around. At some camping supply stores I bought them for .95 cents each last summer, but I had to buy 10 of them.

Actually, I don't know why we haven't been made to switch to propane for mowers, especially in California. It's safer, less polluting and if it's a riding mower the extra weight won't matter. There's ways to get propane cheaper so you end up spending about as much to run a vehicle on propane as gasoline, gasoline is just more conventient. Personally, I'd rather lug around a couple of propane tanks than deal with nasty-ass gasoline tanks in my garage just to save a few bucks during the mowing season. I already have to get tanks for the grill, so whatever.

However, I don't trust any 4-stroke for a weed whacker. You need an engine that's meant to run while turned upside down and that's a 2-stroke(oil is in the gas so no oil sump). I'd be curious to see how many of these are still running in 3 years. 2-strokes are dirty but they can only be killed if someone forgets to pre-mix the gas.

my local HD has these listed at $199.99, but they ring up as $149.99...$99 price is a YMMV for me.

What city/state did you find it? I need a sku because the morons at the HD over here in Elgin, Illinois cannot figure out how to find one w/o a SKU.

Thanks OP, I have been looking for these to go on sale. I went over to the HD in Downingtown, PA and they had a half dozen of the curved and two straight. The item number for the curved is 812524010003. I took it home and unboxed it. The oil bottle had leaked a little so I had to rely on the dipstick to make sure the oil level was right. The first start took about 10 pulls but thats because the propane has to get to the engine. I weedwacked the yard, stopping several times to see how it starts...first pull every time. The Amazon reviews are right about the curve. The angle is a bit off, especially if you are short. I am 5-8 and I found I was having to hold the engine side up a little higher than I do with my 2cycle Poulan. And, its a bit heavy. Now for the good news. MUCH less vibration and noise. No bad smells (except burn in). Though its not perfect, I think it was a good deal and the shoulder strap seems to handle the weight issue.

I saw them in the Pottsgrove, PA Home Depot.

Got the last one in College Point, New York (Queens). Straight shaft $99. Great deal, Thanks OP!!

I just bought a straight shaft from Home Depot Friday and used it for about an hour that day. It starts up with no problem at all and is quite powerful. However, it leaked oil all over itself. I am going to have to return it for another one.

I just talked to their customer service. The amount of oil that is supposed to be used in the engine is 1.7 ounces, but the oil included is 2.7 ounces.

They were available this morning in Exton, PA and Naamans Rd., DE stores. In-store personnel have no clue about these (despite the large, handdrawn poster they have hanging), as to what they are, where they are hidden, etc. I had to find the seasonal dept. mgr. to assist. The package is nearly 6ft. long and bulky.

I just ordered new batteries for my battery powered one on Saturday, had it 4 years and just now had to replace the batteries. Personally, for me, battery powered is the way to go for a weed eater, the only time it wouldn't run was when the batteries were shot.

It's not the weedeaters, or cars that are the big polluters - it's coal fired power plants.

Okay.....is now the time to turn off my frig/lights/TV/washer/dryer, etc.?

goat6500 said: Actually, I don't know why we haven't been made to switch to propane for mowers, especially in California. It's safer, less polluting and if it's a riding mower the extra weight won't matter. There's ways to get propane cheaper so you end up spending about as much to run a vehicle on propane as gasoline, gasoline is just more conventient. Personally, I'd rather lug around a couple of propane tanks than deal with nasty-ass gasoline tanks in my garage just to save a few bucks during the mowing season. I already have to get tanks for the grill, so whatever.

However, I don't trust any 4-stroke for a weed whacker. You need an engine that's meant to run while turned upside down and that's a 2-stroke(oil is in the gas so no oil sump). I'd be curious to see how many of these are still running in 3 years. 2-strokes are dirty but they can only be killed if someone forgets to pre-mix the gas.

Propane is far from being the safe and economical fuel source you claim. Propane is STILL a carbon based fuel and releases the SAME NET levels hydrocarbons as it's room temperature liquid carbon based fuel counterparts so propane by no means is a less polluting fuel source. The main problem with propane is that typical compressed propane only burns at ~ 64% efficiency compared to ~93% for liquid combustion carbon fuels. Where do you think that 36% of unburned propane gas using by most propane devices usually goes? Commercial vehicles using propane as a fuel source overcome this inefficiency by recapturing exhaust and then continually re-mixing it into the combustion chamber until it is 95% consumed. However such propane reclamation systems are impractical for even riding lawn mowers sized engines letlaone those small single chamber units used in hand-held propane powered weed eaters.

Reliable and extremely fuel efficient small cc 4 cycle engines have been available for over 50 years. Modelers have been using them in large scale radio control planes since they were first introduced in the late 50s. If you knew anything about small CC 4 cycle engines you would already know the oil source feeding them in them is pressurized from the cylinder backplane suction so you orientation concern posted above is meaningless. If a 4 cycle engine can reliably and efficiently work in model planes that are repeatedly flown w in inverted high G situations they can easily withstand any orientation movement a homeowner can give them.

Then there are those who are actually delusional enough to think battery powered equipment is the environmental solution? Environmentally friendly battery powered lawn equipment is a joke at best. Such battery powered devices are considered deferred pollution devices since their real pollution output occurs at the point the electricity used to charge them is generated and then again by the “environmental cost” to do to dispose of batteries. For most US residents, that means a coal fired power plant which is by far the greatest source of hydrocarbon emission pollution on the planet.

Did have this line in the Fenton, MI store

The "eco" aspect of the lehr trimmer is "greenwashing" Propane burns cleaner than gasoline, but as others have pointed out, the ecological footprint of small disposable bottles of propane isn't great. The main advantage of propane powered lawn tools is that they don't have the carburetor maintenance issues of gasoline (2 or 4 stroke) powered tools.

Does anyone know who is building the engines for Lehr? I don't think they're building their own. The Ryobi four strokes have absymal long term reliability. I don't know about Briggs engines. I saw these in Sears but didn't take much time to figure out who the engine block builder is. I have a Honda 4 stroke weedwhacker, about eight years old and it has never me down but it cost a lot more than $99.

Oh, I call BS on the person who claims they can purchase the 16oz bottles of propane for around a dollar. If someone can show me where I'll buy 100 bottles.

kind of hoping to see someone with a bulk adapter tank, and running off a standard 20# container.

sidewinder, considering the high level of octane 110, they are very powerful. I think you can only get 97 octane at the gas station.

Octane is not a measure of amount of energy or power in a fuel.

Are those propane trimmers in the same spot as regular gas ones? I went to HD in Tewksbury, MA, and couldn't find them... When I asked personnel - I got a look like "Are you crazy? Propane trimmers? Nonsense!"

They don't even carry this model at my NC Home Depot.

Anyone used one of these Back Saver Wheels?

Thinking of mounting these due to the weight of this trimmer, but the mounting angle seems to be awkward.

Apple2c said: It's not the weedeaters, or cars that are the big polluters - it's coal fired power plants.

you created a new profile just to post that crap?

ozhogin said: Are those propane trimmers in the same spot as regular gas ones? I went to HD in Tewksbury, MA, and couldn't find them... When I asked personnel - I got a look like "Are you crazy? Propane trimmers? Nonsense!"

same aisle, yes

mrredskin said: hell, if it does a good job cutting grass and won't break after 3 years, it can leak oil for all i care

Was this comment supposed to make you sound so cool?

What's next, gasoline fired grills?

Full price at HD on NE side of Indianapolis.

For those heading to HD to check out this item, take note: I purchased a curved handle model and realized that it didn't work for me ergonomically. In order to get the head (and trimmer strings) parallel to the ground, I had to hold the motor up at a very steep (and uncomfortable) angle. Went back and swapped for the straight handle model. Something to consider before you buy.

FYI - I'm 6'-1" but it would seem that a shorter user would be even worse off as the motor gets closer to the ground.

Thanks OP. Nice price.

shingletingle said: mrredskin said: hell, if it does a good job cutting grass and won't break after 3 years, it can leak oil for all i care

calm down, hippie. here's something at HD that might be better off for you.

maverick215 said: Octane is not a measure of amount of energy or power in a fuel.

Yep. Not only that, but higher octane gas produces LESS energy than the same quantity of lower octane gas.

Besides that, i'm tempted to go pick one of these up. I have a cheapy ryobi 2-stroke that is a few years old and probably needs to have it's carb stripped and cleaned. I'm bad with remembering to empty fuel tanks for the winter so this is probably a good thing for me. For someone less forgetful it's lose-lose.

Heavier power tool, more expensive fuel, cost of replacing existing tool, 'green' impact of disposal of propane tanks *and* existing tool...all for the false belief that you're being more 'green'.

Oh, and i'd love to know where anyone is buying 16oz containers of propane for a buck. That's cheaper than the refill for my 20# tank at most places and i'd have a whole pile of steel to sell to a scrap yard. I've had some of those mini tanks for propane camping gear and the ones i've seen say 'do not refill' so...<shrug>

mrredskin said: shingletingle said: mrredskin said: hell, if it does a good job cutting grass and won't break after 3 years, it can leak oil for all i care

Is this a crappy attempt to get a whole bunch of "LOLs"?

shingletingle said: mrredskin said: shingletingle said: mrredskin said: hell, if it does a good job cutting grass and won't break after 3 years, it can leak oil for all i care

it's an attempt to get you to finally shut the hell up if you're not going to post anything worthwhile... or comical

mrredskin said: shingletingle said: mrredskin said: shingletingle said: mrredskin said: hell, if it does a good job cutting grass and won't break after 3 years, it can leak oil for all i care

it's an attempt to get you to finally shut the hell up if you're not going to post anything worthwhile... or comical

Oh look, it's the pot and he's calling the kettle black!

modestninja said:

Oh look, it's the pot and he's calling the kettle black!

ha! and then you chime in...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014