• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Folks,
Yesterday, I called Comcast to cancel my internet because I had just switched to Clear Wimax. Well, they immediately offered the $19.95/month for 12 months promotional rate that is usually only good for new customers.

I told them I'd think about it and cancelled the internet anyway.

Well, after using Wimax, I'm pretty impressed with their download speeds--I'm getting 9-11MB (I'm very close to a tower), but the upload speed is capped at 500kbps. This is a big negative because I use my slingbox regularly and need a faster up speed. Anywhoo, I called back today and the woman looked into the "campaign", as she called it, and sure enough, she put me on the discounted plan.

Anyone paying the $42.95/month, now is your chance to save some coin!

Good Luck!
Joel

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
if you have comcast internet, it rides on the digital band, so you get the most basic package of channels if you subscri... (more)

skh12 (Oct. 20, 2010 @ 11:11a) |

any current comcast deals?
the one op posted says promotion valid til 09/19/2010

aznmonk3yb0i (Oct. 21, 2010 @ 4:34a) |

settle down, if you have a better deal post it, this looks like it belongs in a "comcast rant" section, name a company a... (more)

skh12 (Oct. 21, 2010 @ 6:11a) |

GOOGLE....... "comcast excessive download usage letter"
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hi, which area are you in?

you're chancing it, of course....bec/ they have your prior contact info on file. so be careful, and prepared to not be able to switch back...

Works in Kansas City area. Basic cable required though. So, it's about $36 total.

sav said: Basic cable required though. So, it's about $36 total.

Has anyone tried to obtain the $19.95 price while having analog "basic cable" Comcast?

RIP

It's big YMMV. I am currently on $19.95 for 6 months. I tried to extend to 12 month yesterday. They not only turned it down, but also let me know that my off promotion price would be $58.95/month, since I do not have any TV cable.

Comcast is really ridiculous regarding their pricing. Before my promotion is over, I will certainly call them again. And if they still insist $58.95/month for internet only, bye bye comcast.

ReginaldPerrin said: sav said: Basic cable required though. So, it's about $36 total.

Has anyone tried to obtain the $19.95 price while having analog "basic cable" Comcast?

RIP

no go yet - but will try again !

OP, general area would help! ty!

Interestingly enough, in Portland, OR (and maybe some other locations) Comcast has partnered with Clear and are offering duo packages where you get Comcast internet at home, and Clear wimax service with your laptop for $50/month - the wimax service has a 5gb monthly cap though.

I have it for $19.95/12 mos. with limited basic. Fort Lauderdale.

ReginaldPerrin said: sav said: Basic cable required though. So, it's about $36 total.

RIP

Was previously paying 52.95 for internet, 10 for basic cable.

They gave me the 19.99 internet for 12 months, but bumped basic cable up to 30, so I only saved $10.

This is in Boston.

Hey there,
I'm in Atlanta, GA.
I realize that this is a YMMV, but I'm sure that once you say that you've switched to Clear or are planning to, they will likely give you the retention type plan.

I am also aware of the Comcast High Speed 2go service that is coming to my area before the end of the year. They are partnering with Clear as well as Sprint (which owns majority of Clear) and will have some pretty sweet package home and mobile options starting at $49.99/month for the first 12 months. NOTE: Read the disclaimer on their web page, the basic package goes to $72.95/month after the first year. Still, that's a very good deal especially since I was paying $42.95/month + $59.99/month for sprint broadband. Who knows what the pricing will really be after a year since it just came out and is only available in portland.

Comcast High Speed 2go

Joel

Chicago area, existing customer got 29.99 12mbps high speed internet only with no basic cable for 1 year. Not same as 19.99 but not bad either.

Comcast deals are very regional.

I have basic cable, but cannot get internet for less than $55 a month.

I've called them dozens of time, and even went into their office, but no dice.

I am in CA.

Comcast knows they have a lock on high speed internet in many areas (DSL is very weak by comparison and costs the same). Where there is competiton, like FIOS and Wimax, then they are more competitive.

dp1 said: Chicago area, existing customer got 29.99 12mbps high speed internet only with no basic cable for 1 year. Not same as 19.99 but not bad either.

will try ! ty!

I've done something similar to this. I usually call up Comcast and ask for the package deals offered to new customers. They usually allow it if you pay an installation fee, or a reduced price fee. Here's where your people skills comes in. I go the simple route, stating I'm a long time customer and would appreciate a waive. Mentioning you need a little help with bills, because times are a little tough, may help. Pretty much any pleasant interaction mixed with a little persuasion will get the job done.

I have hi speed internet ONLY, and pay 19.95 per month for 12 months. I don't have cable or any other service from them, just the hi speed internet. I just checked my actual speeds and it is just about 11mg down and 3.7mg up. I am in Atlanta, just signed up last month. I had not had service with them for a long time.

called them yesterday, to see if there are any "offers" around for existing customers ( i have a "triple play, no contract) - they said, nope...but then after i whined a little more, guys said he will waive my DVR fee for 12 mos ($9.95/mo)....better this than nothing (i'm in vermont - lot's of trees arount, no satellite option, and local telco is about to file for bancrupcy....soo...comcast is the only option around....

ditto on YMMV (should be in title). All Comcast deals are YMMV, I'm like an earlier poster and pay the full price of nearly $60 for Internet ($42.95 list price plus $12 for unused basic cable plus taxes and fees) and also escalated several layers up and that's the 'best price they can do'. DSL and FIOS are not available in my area, and satellite is even more expensive and slower. I'll give it a try but I am 99% sure they'll say 'please keep paying full price so we can subsidize the others in area with more competition' (at least they should be honest with me)

I was paying around $62 per month (included fees) in Richmond, VA. I called them up and told them I needed some help to lower my internet only charge because my income had been cut. I also said if they did not want to help I would look for an alternative. To my surprise they immediatley put me on a 12 month $45 rate (includes all fees.) Same service same speed.

garyhalstead said: I was paying around $62 per month (included fees) in Richmond, VA. I called them up and told them I needed some help to lower my internet only charge because my income had been cut. I also said if they did not want to help I would look for an alternative. To my surprise they immediatley put me on a 12 month $45 rate (includes all fees.) Same service same speed.

$45 is still high; i'm sure comcast can do better.

MISURICK said: dp1 said: Chicago area, existing customer got 29.99 12mbps high speed internet only with no basic cable for 1 year. Not same as 19.99 but not bad either.

will try ! ty!

call back again - last time no one ever called ! 'll see!

19.95 for the first 6 months in Albuquerque

MISURICK said: MISURICK said: dp1 said: Chicago area, existing customer got 29.99 12mbps high speed internet only with no basic cable for 1 year. Not same as 19.99 but not bad either.

will try ! ty!

call back again - last time no one ever called ! 'll see!

keep trying, i must have tried like 25 times to get this deal. Make sure you are transferred to customer retentions dept by selecting options to cancel.

Thank you for the post. I called twice and succeeded. $19.99 for 12months, 6 MPS download speed. Indiana.

If you have tv or voice service but not internet, you can log-in to Comcast.com, them select Shop - High-Speed Internet and you will see this promo, YMMV but at least I can see it, I live in South Florida

fedechat said: If you have tv or voice service but not internet, you can log-in to Comcast.com, them select Shop - High-Speed Internet and you will see this promo, YMMV but at least I can see it, I live in South Florida

I contacted Comcast and they would not budge on the $19.95 Internet promotion insisting that it was only for new customers. This is definitely a YMMV promotion. I also live in South Florida. Any suggestions? I currently have Digital Premiere Cable Service and High Speed Internet (6 meg).

I am in CA and just called Comcast requesting the $19.95 promotion. The CSR said he could not give it to me, it's for new customers only. He did offer to lower my cable bill and phone service (since I told him I was going cancel the phone, which I was.) My service is now: Phone-$14.99 for unlimited calling, Cable w/On Demand (Digital Starter I think, forgot to ask) & HD DVR-$29.99, and Internet-$19.99! The CSR said it would be $81/month but I got $65/mo. for that, must be with fees it is $81, I am certainly not complaining.
By the way, I didn't mind dropping down to basic cable since I also have DirecTV. I just took my DirecTV off a 6 month suspension for football season, so I will be mostly watching DirecTV anyway, but will need Comcast for my locals.
Thanks again OP!

I had the 19.99 per month deal for about four months. I was on the six month promo so that price would've ended in two months. Once I heard about the 19.99/year promo, I contacted Comcast via chat and got my promo extended for another year. Really depends on the CSR answering the call and a little bit on your social engineering skills.

thanks OP. I've been Comcast subsriber for some time.

I used online chat but was referred to call hotline. In my area they didn't have 19.99 promo (only for new subscribers) so they offered me 29.99 for 12 months instead which I gladly accepted. The next day I called in and cancelled their basic cable.

Chatted with sales regarding this in Bay Area California and they said it was available for 6 months and $19.99/month for the 12 Mbps tier. I took this opportunity and upgraded to the 22Mbps tier for another $20/month total of $39.99. After order went through, chatted again with tech support and confirmed that my tier is 22Mbps down and 5.5 Mbps up, and price is $39.99/month.

Thanks OP.

Well, I made a second attempt at trying to get this deal today and the gentleman I spoke with was way more helpful than the person I spoke to the other day. Even though I could not get the $19.99 deal that is currently running, the gentleman was able to bump up my Internet service to 8 megs. (maximum 16 megs) at $33 per month for 6 months. That will knock off $17 from my current monthly bill, which helps greatly. Some success!

mikecism said: Comcast deals are very regional.

I have basic cable, but cannot get internet for less than $55 a month.

I've called them dozens of time, and even went into their office, but no dice.

I am in CA.

Comcast knows they have a lock on high speed internet in many areas (DSL is very weak by comparison and costs the same). Where there is competiton, like FIOS and Wimax, then they are more competitive.

I got them to give me $30/month by doing a chat with comcast support on their webpage. I'm in Fremont, CA

kurfali said: I have hi speed internet ONLY, and pay 19.95 per month for 12 months. I don't have cable or any other service from them, just the hi speed internet. I just checked my actual speeds and it is just about 11mg down and 3.7mg up. I am in Atlanta, just signed up last month. I had not had service with them for a long time.

Ditto here. I just signed up for Internet only in Atlanta and didn't even have to ask to get the $19.95/mo for 12 months promo. I haven't had a Comcast account in my name for about two years. They also offered an upgrade to 22Mbps for $5 more a month, which I can take advantage of through the end of the month. There was not an installation fee because it's a self installation and the address previously had Comcast service.

jot23 said: called them yesterday, to see if there are any "offers" around for existing customers ( i have a "triple play, no contract) - they said, nope...but then after i whined a little more, guys said he will waive my DVR fee for 12 mos ($9.95/mo)....better this than nothing (i'm in vermont - lot's of trees arount, no satellite option, and local telco is about to file for bancrupcy....soo...comcast is the only option around....

Most areas in VT should have a good line of sight to DISH Network's "Eastern Arc" satellites. Almost due south with a 40 elevation angle. So if you couldn't get satellite TV before you might want to check again. Won't help you with the 'net access though.

Comcast is good except be aware of a couple things:
1. they keep an eye on illegal downloads. their legal dept sent me an email once because of a torrent.
2. The cap for downloads is something like 200+GB / month. (I don't recall the actual number). I believe they cut you off and/or charge you more after that.

One of many articles...

signed up over chat. $20/mo/12mo 12/1mbps, they had to send a tech, took 1 round of back and forth to get em to do it for free. now i gotta buy a cable modem!

I'm in Houston. The lowest price I've been quoted on installation is $50. One person even said $503. I've tried Live Chat and calling. The only thing left to do is go to the Comcast Office down the street and see if they're willing to reduce or waive it. Anyone have any tips?

Called to cancel basic cable but threatened to cancel my internet as well (intending the whole time to keep the internet). Complained it's just too much $ to justify in this economy (internet alone >$50/mo). First they offered $30/mo, then $25/mo, then $20 for 12 months.

This was in Albuquerque. Keep whining and don't take their first offer!

Skipping 163 Messages...
ALEBAD2010 said: RE-COMCAST DO NOT TRUST THEM-A FEW MONTHS AGO I HAD HIGH SPEED INTERNET-8 MPS TO BE EXACT ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER- FOR ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS I HAD NO SERVICE AT ALL-I EVEN TRIED HOOKING UP A LAPTOP THAT NORMALLY WORKED ON THE COMCAST INTERNET- WHEN IT WORKED IT WAS FAST-- HOWEVER BEWARE COMCAST LIMITS YOUR DOWNLOADS- THEY EVEN HAVE A METER ON YOUR BILLING PAGE......... -SO I CALLED THEIR LAUGHABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAS TOLD-"I WILL CREDIT YOUR BILL FOR 1 MONTH,BECAUSE YOU HAD NO SERVICE"......THAT SAME DAY I WENT TO THEIR LOCAL,13 MILE AND HOOVER,WARREN MI TO RETURN THE MODEM......COMCAST REP SAID "THEIR IS NO CREDIT ON YOUR BILL".....WELL NO MORE INTERNET FOR ME FROM THEM...READ ON THE NET HOW MANY CUSTOMERS THEY HAVE LOST OVER THE YEARS....ENOUGH SAID TRUTH SPEAKS FOR ITSELF........

settle down, if you have a better deal post it, this looks like it belongs in a "comcast rant" section, name a company and someone has gotten bad service

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014