• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Too late for me, but I noticed after taking advantage of the 35% live/bing CashBack deal and getting the iPhone 3G S, switching from GoPhone, that I had a credit in my new account at MyWireless for the small balance I had. Unfortunately it was just a few bucks.

Since you can buy GoPhone monopoly money refills easily for about 12% off the face value, it would appear you could save some decent moolah off every bill, ontop of any sort of FAN discount or anything else by filling up your GoPhone account with a bunch of money beforehand. What is unknown to me is if this was just by a friendly CSR because it was a low value or if this is automatic, or if this was automatic with some limit.

It might not matter, but I'm a new customer (well, new to contracts anyways) that ordered from the main online AT&T store (not premier), set up my FAN for 24% online through an email address before my phone arrived (because they sent me my phone number before it arrived via email), called 611 to port my number once the phone got here, was sent to a corporate store for some reason to transfer my GoPhone number (because it's "not really porting, and we can't do those over the phone"), and everything finally was good. The credit was showing up on MyWireless sometime thereafter, it could have been immediate or days, I didn't check it for a while.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like it's actually real policy they advertise:

"Any remaining balance on your prepaid account will be automatically posted as a credit to your new postpaid account, if you keep the same number."

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=54040&isSrch=Yes

aarongyes said: Since you can buy GoPhone monopoly money refills easily for about 12% off the face value . . .

How?

Equally, is there any market for whole accounts? I have roughly $150 on a Gophone number/sim that I will not be using but that I have been keeping alive in the hopes of unloading it.

aarongyes said:
Since you can buy GoPhone monopoly money refills easily for about 12% off the face value,

I buy 100 for 88 and get 115 credit from ATT.

Wonder if I can transfer enough to cover the 2 year contract and get the iPhone free?

cure said: aarongyes said: Since you can buy GoPhone monopoly money refills easily for about 12% off the face value . . .

Equally, is there any market for whole accounts? I have roughly $150 on a Gophone number/sim that I will not be using but that I have been keeping alive in the hopes of unloading it.

Offer it on eBay. A temporary foreign visitor to the USA with an unlocked GSM would love to have your number/balance.

aarongyes said: Looks like it's actually real policy they advertise:

"Any remaining balance on your prepaid account will be automatically posted as a credit to your new postpaid account, if you keep the same number. "

Link not working, can you post again? I am going from a pay as you go iphone to a contract and have $234 in credit. Would be sweet if I could get it to credit my postpaid account. I plan on porting my number over anyways. Thought I would just have to eat the balance, like T-Mobile makes you do.

robby69 said: aarongyes said: Looks like it's actually real policy they advertise:

"Any remaining balance on your prepaid account will be automatically posted as a credit to your new postpaid account, if you keep the same number. "

Link not working, can you post again? I am going from a pay as you go iphone to a contract and have $234 in credit. Would be sweet if I could get it to credit my postpaid account. I plan on porting my number over anyways. Thought I would just have to eat the balance, like T-Mobile makes you do.

Link worked for me - here is cut and paste from there:

Question:
How do I change my current Prepaid service to Postpaid service?
Answer:
If you have Prepaid service and wish to change to Postpaid service, you will need to meet the requirements of any postpaid activation. If you meet and agree to the requirements, you will then need to visit an AT&T retail store to activate your new postpaid service.

A credit check will be required and a security deposit may be assessed on the account. If a security deposit is assessed on the account, it must be paid in full before the new postpaid account is activated.
You will be able to keep the same wireless number.
A new postpaid account will be created.
Any remaining balance on your prepaid account will be automatically posted as a credit to your new postpaid account, if you keep the same number.
Balance will transfer immediately once the postpaid account is set up.
Any unused Prepaid airtime will not be refunded.
Any remaining unused refill cards are non refundable.
You must have an AT&T GSM device.
An upgrade of new equipment may require a contract.
The new postpaid account will be assessed a Service Change Fee.
The new postpaid account may require a contract.

Thanks for linking this .. u will save me ~$100 when I go from Pre-paid to iPhone tomorrow.

Bullet4fun said:

Link worked for me - here is cut and paste from there:

Question:
How do I change my current Prepaid service to Postpaid service?
Answer:
If you have Prepaid service and wish to change to Postpaid service, you will need to meet the requirements of any postpaid activation. If you meet and agree to the requirements, you will then need to visit an AT&T retail store to activate your new postpaid service.

A credit check will be required and a security deposit may be assessed on the account. If a security deposit is assessed on the account, it must be paid in full before the new postpaid account is activated.
You will be able to keep the same wireless number.
A new postpaid account will be created.
Any remaining balance on your prepaid account will be automatically posted as a credit to your new postpaid account, if you keep the same number.
Balance will transfer immediately once the postpaid account is set up.
Any unused Prepaid airtime will not be refunded.
Any remaining unused refill cards are non refundable.
You must have an AT&T GSM device.
An upgrade of new equipment may require a contract.
The new postpaid account will be assessed a Service Change Fee.
The new postpaid account may require a contract.

Thanks for linking this .. u will save me ~$100 when I go from Pre-paid to iPhone tomorrow.

Google search "How do I change my current Prepaid service to Postpaid service?" and found the official att page.

FYI, I had a GoPhone Iphone 2G which had collected $280 prepaid credit on. I just got me a postpaid Iphone 3GS for $199. They moved my $280 credit over to my new account, and then ebayed my old Iphone for $200. Right now I'm up $281 and I got a new 3GS.

does anyone know if one will have to buy a new phone from ATT while converting from prepaid to postpaid, or one can show old phone (received with prepaid), and that would do it? Old phone is moto v235 and we have an unlocked nokia e63 aswell.

upengan78: I'm pretty sure there's at least always some cheap phones that are free with 2 year contract.

aarongyes said: upengan78: I'm pretty sure there's at least always some cheap phones that are free with 2 year contract.
only cheap? They offer samsung eternity for free.

AbysmallyAdroit said: aarongyes said: upengan78: I'm pretty sure there's at least always some cheap phones that are free with 2 year contract.
only cheap? They offer samsung eternity for free.

I said "at least always some", not "right now only".

There's a cost to add: there's a "Service Change Fee" of $18.00 when you go from GoPhone to regular AT&T.

Thanks all for replying to my question and to OP

If you have a FAN account you cannot go into a corporate owned store and do the transfer. They claim you have to call 611 and talk to customer service regarding the FAN account and they'll do it. I sure hope that is the case as I now have $498 on my phone - I just topped it up with 12% off minutes and Bing rebate cash too. Oh, I also had a $1 off coupon showing on my eBay account. I'm not sure why or even why it was just a $1 but every bit helps. I plan to call 611 and get the phone transferred tomorrow. At that point the coprorate store can then upgrade to a new phone and put me under contract if I wish.

As a follow up as of today I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE PHONE TRANSFERRED!
ATT cannot get their crap straight at all. In the store I was told I had to call 611. They said to go back to the store. I went back to the store who in turn said they could not do it again and gave me the business unit's phone number. A few days later I cann the business unit who tells me they cannot do it and the store should be able to do it. They even called the store, verified it was a craprate store and talked to someone to tell them hoe to do the swap. Today i went to the store where they were to do the swap. I left out with a little printed "receipt" and was told it was transferred over to postpaid but they had to transfer it to a new line and new plan. No big deal, leave the store and call the business unit to transfer the old phone plan and merge it to the family plan with the fan discount. So I call and low and behold they have not done a damned thing. The phone is still a GoPhone and tomorrow I'm going back to the store with my Louisville Slugger to talk to these dicks.

I'm soooooo sooooooo sad we switched from Verizon as the ATT service (customer and acutal) is sub par and frustrating to say the least.

Zapy, I just went through the same thing you are going through trying to convert a GoPhone to a postpaid account and merging with an existing account. I think I went to the store three times and called 611 three times, wasted a total of about 4-5 hours being sent from one department to another being told the same things you were. A rep in the store finally had to talk to business customer care on my behalf and explain to them that they were unable to make the change themselves. They finally ended up converting GoPhone in store first then they had to have National Business Ordering create a brand new account to merge my existing line and the new postpaid line. My balance did transfer over, although I ended up getting like five different bills from the closed and new accounts, two of which I couldn't pay without assistance from a customer service rep. So once they do finally get it done, pay close attention to the bills that come in the mail. Good luck!

You'd have thought that AFTER the business unit talked to theie own corporate store they'd have gotten something partially correct. The slugger is in the truck. I'll have to control myself. Too bad the PD is literally across the street in the shopping center. Maybe they did that on purpose?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014