• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just found 2 pack Contigo Travel Mugs @ Costco B&M for $19.99.
Amazon has it for $19.99 each.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Replacement lids for the current model now back in stock ($7.00 shipped) from here.

Smooth (Sep. 16, 2009 @ 8:00p) |

Are the ones at costco stainless steel or plastic?

steelycat (Sep. 17, 2009 @ 8:18a) |

Stainless steel body with plastic lid.

1lossir (Sep. 17, 2009 @ 9:21a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks op, I've been wanting this for a while now. Is it the stainless steel one and which store did you find them at?

yes. these are stainless steel double wall insulated mugs. here is the Amazon link.

amazon

ah they're back.. I'll get me more

Got the two-pack from Costco in January, and they are good (IMO). And if you're "brilliant" enough to drop one just the right way to break the top, replacement lids (various colors available) can be bought here. Lids cost $7.00 and are shipped free. They are currently out of stock (I must not be the only "brilliant" user ), but I got a fast (and friendly) email reply from the company stating they'd be back in stock by the end of the week.

[Lids now back in stock.]

crotchrocket said: Thanks op, I've been wanting this for a while now. Is it the stainless steel one and which store did you find them at?

I'd like to know too - and also where in the store you found them. Just checked the Lacey, WA store and didn't find them in tools, automotive or housewares. TIA

I saw them yesterday on an end-cap in Wilmington, NC Costco.

1lossir said: crotchrocket said: Thanks op, I've been wanting this for a while now. Is it the stainless steel one and which store did you find them at?

I'd like to know too - and also where in the store you found them. Just checked the Lacey, WA store and didn't find them in tools, automotive or housewares. TIA

I finally found it over in the sf,ca costco. The costco people couldn't even find it. It was buried in one of the endcaps and pretty well hidden.

Begging for a link! Costco or AMZN

$19.89 at my Costco.

Didn't realize how much these things usually were, just saw them and bought them, had I known it was a great deal I would've posted on here...good post OP

Found 'em today - they were with the back to school stuff (in the "seasonal merchandise" section). Thanks OP!

so amadong is 19.99 for ONE mug, and costco is 19.99 for TWO mug, is that correct?

Correct... Dang it. Drop one today and broke the top.

SteelRing said: so amadong is 19.99 for ONE mug, and costco is 19.99 for TWO mug, is that correct?

fishtank said: Correct... Dang it. Drop one today and broke the top.

SteelRing said: so amadong is 19.99 for ONE mug, and costco is 19.99 for TWO mug, is that correct?

Costco has an amazing return policy. You can return/exchange for new if you so desire. Receipt is nice but not necessary just as long as you have your Costco card.

I bought these after I saw Costco started carrying them, since I bought the Water bottles earlier in the summer and loved them as well.

I really didn't realize how much more these things cost elsewhere...anyways, if you are interested, look for the 3 pack of Water Bottles for $18.89 as well

We liked to use insulated containers for our water. On Amazon, the reviews are pretty consistantly bad for the lids. They say they are impossible to clean and get a bad smell. Does anyone have the coffee mugs that uses them just for water, who can give their opinion?

Green for OP. We have four of these and we love them. Would be nice if the lids were easier to clean / dry, though.

Everyone that has had problems with the lids, are you cleaning them by hand or in the dishwasher?

I have not had problems with lids being dirty or smelly--if well washed. I wash by them hand with soap and hot water and sometimes a dish brush, and then I let the lids air dry. Sometimes I use a weak bleach and water solution (the Contigo site says avoid bleach, so use at your own risk)--but then rinse the lids well, as the metal springs (2) will corrode if left in the bleach water too long. Plastic tends to hold coffee or tea smells, but the bleach wash neutralizes that. But I dedicate one mug for drinking water and the other for tea.

I dropped one mug and broke the lid, and could see that these need to be well cleaned, as lots of ridges and flanges. The main place where residue can build up is on the rubber pad that seals the hole. Slightly depressing the button (which opens the drink hole) and using a soft dish brush (or even a toothbrush dedicated to cleaning these lids), should keep things fresh.

squid3 said: ...are you cleaning them by hand or in the dishwasher?

I just bought these and tried one out. I love the mechanism that seals the holes, but the design has a major deal breaker for me. There is no lip at the drinking spout. On most travel mugs the lip allows you to tip the coffee into the lip allowing you to sip it. This way, very hot coffee will not burn your mouth. With the Contigo there is no lip and the coffee pours right into your mouth. I burnt my lips on first use. If you like your coffee very hot, I do not recommend these mugs.

This is why I love Costco, great return policy.

JAK

jkostfw said: I just bought these and tried one out. I love the mechanism that seals the holes, but the design has a major deal breaker for me. There is no lip at the drinking spout. On most travel mugs the lip allows you to tip the coffee into the lip allowing you to sip it. This way, very hot coffee will not burn your mouth. With the Contigo there is no lip and the coffee pours right into your mouth. I burnt my lips on first use. If you like your coffee very hot, I do not recommend these mugs.

This is why I love Costco, great return policy.

JAK

I, on the other hand, love that it does not have a lip as I drink only cold beverages in it (iced tea!!!!) It pours out generously which I love instead of waiting for a drip, drip into my mouth, I get a normal pour of liquid in my mouth. These are great. I handwash them. I have had them for 2 weeks now. One for my wife is dedicated to coffee and I can definitely smell the coffee on the top. Mine doesn't seem to have a smell as I only use cold iced tea. One ice cube at 8 am, then when I eat my lunch after my cup has been sitting in the summer hot car, I still have ice cold ice tea!!! I have never seen or tried better mugs!!!!

Prncsnyc said: We liked to use insulated containers for our water. On Amazon, the reviews are pretty consistantly bad for the lids. They say they are impossible to clean and get a bad smell. Does anyone have the coffee mugs that uses them just for water, who can give their opinion?

I use Waterpik dental cleaner to remove tea/coffee stain. Cleans very well and fast. I got my waterpik from costco to

As JAK mentioned, this is a great cup with a fatal flaw if you drink hot liquids out of it.

First the good: it is well made, does keep stuff hot or cold, and really does not leak. I did the ‘hold it upside down and shake’ test and not a drop came out. If all you ever plan to drink from one of these is either cold or just warm, this cup is perfect.

The problem is that there is no lip on the lid. You can’t sip/slurp hot liquid. I know that sounds like a minor irritation, but it makes drinking hot coffee or tea near impossible without the danger of burning yourself. Also, because the liquid goes directly into your mouth, there is no smell factor and smell is an important part of how we taste things. With no aroma, I find coffee and tea don’t taste as good.

I really wanted to like this cup. If they put a lip on it, I would honestly buy 8 and throw out the odd collection of other travel mugs I have. Too bad. They are going back to Costco.

how interesting...the ones I bought from costco a couple of years ago look different, have a different lid, and there IS a lip, which allows sipping. That one has another almost-fatal flaw, though, in that when you drink, the flip back type lid often touches your nose (my nose isn't THAT large!). Definitely spill-proof, though, and my husband LOVES it, over the other ones we have!

thetwins said: how interesting...the ones I bought from costco a couple of years ago look different, have a different lid, and there IS a lip, which allows sipping. That one has another almost-fatal flaw, though, in that when you drink, the flip back type lid often touches your nose (my nose isn't THAT large!). Definitely spill-proof, though, and my husband LOVES it, over the other ones we have!
I have a pair of the old style too, and like them. The springs and pins on the cover got rusted very soon, and I emailed them and got two replacement covers. Got burnt several times when I had tea, sometimes I got bothered by the fact it keeps the tea hot for so long. I saw the new style but after checked the reviews, I think the old ones work just fine for me(lazy, and compulsive, don't want to mass with cleaning)

We have an "extensive" collection of the old ones for some years and love them. We have had to replace lids for the reasons listed.

We tried the new ones and just could not get used to them and they went back. I think it was tough to improve on a good thing. For the old ones you can go to tcontigo website contigo.com abnd order lids and sometimes they have specials on some of the older and other styles of mugs. fast shipping.

SWM

frankjr said: Begging for a link! Costco or AMZN

Seriously? Begging for a link? Wouldn't it be just as quick to go find it as it is to beg? Maybe share it? Contribute?

Replacement lids for the current model now back in stock ($7.00 shipped) from here.

Are the ones at costco stainless steel or plastic?

Stainless steel body with plastic lid.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014