• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Rosewill R2-RAID from Newegg for $39.99 with Free Shipping
Use coupon code: EMCLXNN45 (part of their end of summer clearance sale)

External 2-drive enclosure with eSATA and USB2.0 interface.
RAID Levels: RAID 0/1/JBOD/BIG + RAID1

Don't forget FW Cash Back.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

last 2 reviews: it kills motherboards

wut? i don't see that.

austonia said: wut? i don't see that.
muoot is referring to the two reviews with the most "was this review helpful" ratings. Not chronologically the oldest or newest reviews.

I have had good luck with my Rosewill purchases thus far (two hard drive enclosures and a ide/sata-to-usb adapter), so I'm giving it a try.

Reviewed By: apark on 8/20/2008 said: Other Thoughts: Fitted with 2 WD Raptor 10K 150GB drives in RAID 0.

The array would lock up after a prolonged amount of work (working with 30GB over a span of 2 hours) over USB. On a couple of my own machines it locks up the OS completely. eSATA interface is even worse, as it does not allow one (albeit older) machine to boot.

In one case, after about 10 minutes of working with the eSATA interface for the first time on my main desktop - it fried the motherboard. The Mobo no longer can perform a POST. As luck would have, it fries a great motherboard (Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R) that's no longer in production.

Reviewed By: on 9/6/2008 said: Cons: I don't even know where to start. First, the manual is not very good, it doesn't say exactly how to reset the drive to different modes. It took me an hour to figure out. But that's nothing. Connected the drive via eSATA (Mirror mode). Tried to format 5 times(!!!) It would hang the system after 1-5% progress. I was really afraid that it would kill my brand new 1TB each drives. Passed that, formatted, the drive working; however, the software that comes with it, were reporting a crash each when i powered the drive. Finally, i started copying files to the drive, it would freeze the computer after 10-20 minutes!!! So annoying!! I rebooted like dozen times during last two days to copy part of my data (was testing out with some non-critical data). Yesterday, I started to copy another bunch of files, it froze my computer, i rebooted - motherboard is DEAD !!!! What a surprise !!! Motherboard that was working as a charm for the last three-four years got fried by an external enclosure. ANGRY.

I would take those with a grain of salt. There are tons of things that can cause problems that will fry a motherboard. Not sure how esata could fry a motherboard very little power travels over it

The internal parts on this look nearly identical to an external 2TB raid drive I use from Cavalry. It's been a great unit so far. The fan is low quality on mine, so I just removed the external casing and unplugged it - I let the drive casing sit out in the open air (inside a large piece of furniture).

The raid functions are handled by a silicon image chip. You use a software program to monitor and/or configure certain functions. On mine, the temps aren't readable (software shows NA).

If you get anything like this unit, do not expect to run 7200rpm drives in it. The installed cooling just isn't enough.

Two questions:

1. Does it supports 1.5TB HD's?
2. Can I simply install 2 1.5TB drives with files (NTFS formated) and build a 3TB system withoug formating HD's?

Thanks.

Roy2001 said: Two questions:

1. Does it supports 1.5TB HD's?
2. Can I simply install 2 1.5TB drives with files (NTFS formated) and build a 3TB system withoug formating HD's?

Thanks.

not sure about 1. but 2 would most likely only be JBOD if your lucky. For Stripe it would have to be reformatted. Most of the time the drives have to be reformated for any version of raid

nice enclosure, plan to put 2x 2TB drive in it. thanks

jamesbodden said: Roy2001 said: Two questions:
not sure about 1. but 2 would most likely only be JBOD if your lucky. For Stripe it would have to be reformatted. Most of the time the drives have to be reformated for any version of raid

Thanks!

This is my best guess for the processor inside the case based on my own (Cavalry) drive and very similar looks for the inside guts of the unit: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=105

I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't support 1.5tb-2tb drives. Mine runs 2x1tb WD green drives. I've had zero issues for over a year, excluding the noise/heat issue I mentioned above.

Regarding the drives with data, I doubt you could run it in a raid format without a full reformat (which can take a while...). If I were you I'd assume that blank drives are needed.

PoohBah said: This is my best guess for the processor inside the case based on my own (Cavalry) drive and very similar looks for the inside guts of the unit: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=105

I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't support 1.5tb-2tb drives. Mine runs 2x1tb WD green drives. I've had zero issues for over a year, excluding the noise/heat issue I mentioned above.

Regarding the drives with data, I doubt you could run it in a raid format without a full reformat (which can take a while...). If I were you I'd assume that blank drives are needed.

Thanks for info. I ordered it anyway. In case it does not work with 1.5T drives, I can put in my 750G drives. $40 for 2 bay enclosure is great.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014