• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
first props to Metallicajake at SD. I received a better discount than him though.

The channel Versus is no longer available to Directv customers because of contract issues with Comcast as of August 31st. Basically Directv doesn't want to pay their competitor for the channel.

If you call Directv and explain to them that your a big hockey fan and you are unable to watch your favorite team (Blackhawks for me) because of the Versus deal and express fustration over this inconvenience, they might give you a discount on your bill or free months of showtime. I asked if there was anybody else that can get me a discount on NHL Center Ice because of the inconvenience and the rep transfered me to her supervisor. The supervisor told me, "Well sir you already receive all of these discounts" gimmick but keep pressing them. He later tranferred me to the retention department and I asked the new representative, "Can I get a discount on NHL Center Ice because of Versus not being offered anymore." No questions asked, the rep said, "We will give you NHL Center Ice and it will show up on your next bill as a $163 credit."

Now I get 40 hockey games in HDTV for free! This deal is very YMMV, but it worked on the first time. You just have to stand your ground (and be polite) about receiving a discount on NHL Center Ice (Perhaps free like me). They will offer you $5 your bill for 10 months or 3 months of free Showtime, but stand your ground!

Here is a link about NHL Center Ice 2009/2010 NHL Season Center Ice

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
great deal except you missed more than half the season !!!!

fourml8r (Jan. 17, 2010 @ 2:55p) |

Glass Half Full...meet Glass Half Empty!! C'mon man...it's better than a kick in the teeth!!

VH2000 (Jan. 17, 2010 @ 8:22p) |

Didn't get free center ice, but I was offered a $15 discount each month for next 6 months

I followed the script from abo... (more)

chidlebaugh (Jan. 18, 2010 @ 10:01a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal OP!!

Thanks! I've been trying to find my ducks preseasons games, but haven't had any luck. I had no idea that Versus is no longer included... When I signed up for Directv a couple months ago, I made sure that versus was on the same package to make sure I get to see my team. Thanks for all of your help. I'll give Directv a call and see what they say.

I can't believe how difficult that was. I called and spoke with them for 44 minutes. They would not budge whatsoever. I was polite the whole time. They were even going to terminate my account with a huge $400+ fee! I pretty much gave up and told the agent that I'll take their $5/mo credit she offered and will look into downsizing my channel package in the meantime (until they get versus back), then she put me on hold. When she came back, she said that she talked with her supervisor and was able to get me the NHL package for an entire year (autorenewing, so I have to make sure to cancel before a year is up).

My tips for you: Be very nice, show your disappointment (no anger!), tell them that you may have to downsize your package since versus is no longer available at this time, and be ready to hang up the phone without receiving the NHL package. Once you get to the last step, then maybe they'll put you on hold and see what they really can do for you.

Again, thanks OP. Although it was really difficult to do, I appreciate this information. Just knowing that Versus was no longer available was helpful for me.

mark100177 said: Again, thanks OP. Although it was really difficult to do, I appreciate this information. Just knowing that Versus was no longer available was helpful for me.

Hey man it saved you $163 bucks!

Huge Ducks fan too. I have to give this a try even though there is only one Ducks game on VS this year.

Just get the NHL Network. All the good highlights from games, without waiting for other sports to play out like on SportsCenter etc. NHL on the Fly everynight is a staple in this household with really no favoritism towards the Dead Wings or Pengimps.

Thanks for the tip…

I called and was very polite and voiced my concern over the lack of NHL coverage on DTV. Mentioned $$$ was very tight right now and this is discount I got with purchase of Center Ice Package:

• $10.00 off my Sports Package for 6 months ($60.00)
• Free DVR service ($6.00 monthly fee) for 6 months ($36.00)
• Free NFL Super Fan - $20.00 off for 5 months ($100.00)

$196.00 in TOTAL savings!!!

I did this too. Again, follow these steps:
1. Speak politely
2. get connected to customer service and say you are calling about versus channel, they immediately should connect you to customer retention department
3. There they immediately offer you 50% off NHL center ice
4. keep politely telling them how much you signed up with DTV for sports and season has started and you are missing hockey games, etc. and tell how you don't have to pay anything to watch hockey if only versus was there
5. keep telling them to see if there is any other way to help

Finally this is what I got:
NHL center ice 50% off: $81.90 is what I pay net
$20 off per month on my bill for 6 months, -$120
so Net I get a credit of $38.10 PLUS get NHL center ice.
Sweet deal! Enjoy!

Review my direct tv on how to get NFL ticket for free and say NHL instead.

Op you friggin rock... Called retentions and after 15 seconds they offered me the full NHL season for free. All I said was How can I make a complaint. I just heard you're not carrying VS. and there no way to watch hockey..... Actually sir I can help you with that. We apologize about the situation but have you heard about Center Ice. I said yes, but I dont watch that much hockey.. that package is expensive.... Sir we will give you Center Ice for free this season.

SWEEEEET

DirecTV is by far my favorite vendor of the year
- Still had 13 months on my contract and in the last 40 days I've gotten
- NFL Sunday Ticket + Premeir for $59/mo. 5 months
- Free Superfan
- and now Free Center Ice..

hmmm, what angle can I play to try to get the College Basketball package for free hehe

I've been a DTV subscriber since 1995. Uninterrupted. Probably too long.

Things have changed there. I would routinely call every six to nine months, ask for retention, and at least in the beginning, they'd offer a nice discount right off the bat. Until the "special discount" would expire. Then I'd call again and get another "special discount" for being such a loyal customer. That went on for years. But things became much more difficult starting a couple of years ago. Now, they won't budge when I call. Granted, I haven't called them for over a year...they just wore me out. Sometimes I'd be on hold for almost an hour. I'm thinking that could be part of their strategy. Hate to say it, but I've just given up trying to get a better deal.

By the way, watch your bills carefully. On many (and I mean many) occasions the promised discount did not appear without my having to "remind" them. Also, sometimes the monthly bills would be higher and impossible to decipher, even though no additional channels or PPV were ordered.

Just keep a close watch on your bills. DTV is sneaky. Frankly, in my neck of the woods (Rochester, NY) Time Warner cable offers a better deal for new HD customers. At least for now.

Worked for me as well. Free NHL Center Ice for the season.

Go Habs!

Took a little bit, but got Center Ice for free. Go Flames.

cga said: I've been a DTV subscriber since 1995. Uninterrupted. Probably too long.

Things have changed there. I would routinely call every six to nine months, ask for retention, and at least in the beginning, they'd offer a nice discount right off the bat. Until the "special discount" would expire. Then I'd call again and get another "special discount" for being such a loyal customer. That went on for years. But things became much more difficult starting a couple of years ago. Now, they won't budge when I call. Granted, I haven't called them for over a year...they just wore me out. Sometimes I'd be on hold for almost an hour. I'm thinking that could be part of their strategy. Hate to say it, but I've just given up trying to get a better deal.

By the way, watch your bills carefully. On many (and I mean many) occasions the promised discount did not appear without my having to "remind" them. Also, sometimes the monthly bills would be higher and impossible to decipher, even though no additional channels or PPV were ordered.

Just keep a close watch on your bills. DTV is sneaky. Frankly, in my neck of the woods (Rochester, NY) Time Warner cable offers a better deal for new HD customers. At least for now.

DirecTV monitors how often you call, what discounts you get, how often you complain, etc and grades you as a customer. Their ranking is a 1-5 heart scale. The best customers get 5 hearts, the worst just a single heart.

I'll call Comcast every six months to get their best rate, but because of DirecTV's method I'll only call when something is wrong (or I need Superfan for free ).

Got the package for half price, $82 bucks. Also got $10 off a month for 12 months, so I actually get paid about 30 bucks to get it. I actually had called and complained about this exact situation before reading about it here, so I can confirm it does work if you persist and be nice about it.

It's 7:55 p.m. here on Tuesday night (29th) and it worked for me. I didn't go after the free Center ice - just the 50% off. I already received the free NFL Sunday Ticket promo last month so I didn't want to get too greedy. I talked to one rep at the 800 number and I asked about Versus channel. He explained Comcast's part in it and I then gave Direct TV a major compliment as I am a former Concast customer. Then I stated that a friend got 50% off Center Ice because of the Versus problem. He "checked" on it and gave it the O.K. 30 seconds later. Sweet!!!! Thanks to everyone who has posted here - you are saving me big $$$$.

Just read Jason's post. Great job Jason!!! You are the man!!!!

Just called a little while ago and was very nice, but firm in my assertion that losing Versus is a major inconvenience for me (which it is).

At first they tried to offer me $50 off the Center Ice Package. I said no

Then they tried to offer me $10 off for 6 months instead of the $50 one time discount. I said no

I told them those offers definitely would not be enough to retain me as a customer but again, did so in a calm manner. As a result, their final offer was $50 off the Center Ice Package plus a free HD DVR upgrade (worth $220 between the receiver and the delivery charges for the equipment). I accepted this offer.

Total savings = $270!!

i was on nhl.com and noticed a message to email directv and complain about not having versus. so i emailed them at versus@directv.com and got an instant offer to take $50 off my nhl package price.

NHL Link

fourml8r said: i was on nhl.com and noticed a message to email directv and complain about not having versus. so i emailed them at versus@directv.com and got an instant offer to take $50 off my nhl package price.

NHL Link

Looks like this is going to be an unadvertised deal.

I just called and got an idiot who wanted to empathize with my issue by claiming he wanted to be a pro hockey player but couldn't make it so he shared my concerns re Versus channel. He stumbled through trying to read a script, repeating himself several times. And suggested I go to a friend's house to watch Sharks games until they settle the dispute. AUGH!

The first offer was for $50 off the season subscription. The second offer was $163.50 for the season in 4 payments but $10 credit back each month for 12 months.

I just called and the woman said she couldn't do anything for me, and she said sorry. Didn't transfer me to retentions or anything.

So whoever said if you mention Versus, they will transfer you, was WRONG.

Blackhawks have so many games on Versus. Man that sucks. I Have the dealer incentive account so I am hoping I will get center ice free. Currently I get premiere package with sunday ticket and superfan for 0$ per month But if I can't get center ice I will try this method. Go Blackhawks!!

gamester990 said: I just called and the woman said she couldn't do anything for me, and she said sorry. Didn't transfer me to retentions or anything.

So whoever said if you mention Versus, they will transfer you, was WRONG.

Why don't you try again?

thing that sucks about Comcast is they dont give you NHL TV like Directv and DISH....suckers...anyone convince them to throw it in?

never mind....after a LONG online chat with Comcast, i got the sports entertainment package ($5.99 a month) for free for a year!..yaaaaa
...not as good a deal as free like directv...but, this way i dont have to go through the hell of switching providers...got a pretty good deal now...around $69.99 a month for 16mb internet, digital starter, 1 HDDVR and 1 standard DVR, 6months free STARZ and 1 yr HBO!

I Just called and was offered $200 credit to my account + $20 off a month for 6 months.......... SWEET!!!!!!

keepcold said: I Just called and was offered $200 credit to my account + $20 off a month for 6 months.......... SWEET!!!!!!

Holy cow! I wish I got that

I just called and got 165/- credit.

I did it yesterday and I got...
Center Ice for half off
Free DVR service for 6 months
$10 credit every month for 12 months
New HD-DVR with no contract extension (told them I was waiting on the new TiVo brand, I wouldn't sign a contract for anything less)

Took me 2 operators and less than 40 minutes. Of course I told them that it was making more sense for me to switch to Fios and bundle my internet with tv rather than sign a contract with DTv.

all i got was 3 free months of showtime - note I'm a 12+ year customers - BUT have a new contract that is not up yet because of getting the free HD DVR this year

kirbydog said: I just called and got an idiot who wanted to empathize with my issue by claiming he wanted to be a pro hockey player but couldn't make it so he shared my concerns re Versus channel. He stumbled through trying to read a script, repeating himself several times. And suggested I go to a friend's house to watch Sharks games until they settle the dispute. AUGH!

The first offer was for $50 off the season subscription. The second offer was $163.50 for the season in 4 payments but $10 credit back each month for 12 months.
Update: I decided to email my concerns to DTV instead of chatting with someone forever by phone. I have confirmed the $10 credit for 12 months and will be charged $163.80 for Center Ice. I also got Starz and Showtime free through the end of the year (I have the Total Choice HD plan but have been a customer for more than 10 years now), which seems like a repetitive series of movies (but it's free so I'm ok with that).

blackhawks were only supposed to be on VERSUS 11 times this season - you lucked out!

I have Dish network, so i'm stuck paying for center ice if I want it - last season i watched more hockey than in the past 10 seasons combined due to espn and espn II not broadcasting any games - and i finally broke down and got Dish ONLY because of VERSUS

I wonder how long this "dispute" will last - I was thinking of going to DTV when my 2 years is up with Dish - but not if there isn't any VERSUS!!!

GO HAWKS!

I called this morning...not as great of a deal, but got Center Ice for half off, 6 months of DVR service, and a one-time $50 credit. I've been a customer for less than a year.

Subscriber for 3+ years, never called in before. I got a very friendly CSR the first time around who's husband was upset about Versus as he was a bull riding fan. Immediate offer was free Center Ice and $20/mo for 12 months! Needless to say, I accepted.

I also got a nice discount and some free programming. I think that this should be a good example of how a company takes good care of their customers. Directv is trying to work out a deal, but is willing to give breaks to their existing customers.

On the flip side of the Versus deal, Dish Network subscribers get Versus for free till end of November. Saved me from having to upgrade to their Gold package to get it. Hope that the competitive pressure will keep it free (or maybe they'll put it on a lower package to attrach folks) on Dish.

I called retentions. I asked who I could complain to considering that Versus was taken off of Directv and also that Dish included the NFL Red Zone channel in their package but that on Directv I had to buy the NFL ticket to get it. Basically I told the guy that I thought that Dish offered more sports on their cheaper package than Directv. He said that Ditectv offered more sports but I pointed out in this economy I didn't want to pay for the sports packages. He ended up giving me $11 off a month for one year plus Showtime/Starz for 6 months. I am pretty happy with that. I still wish though that I could get Versus & the Red Zone channel with my package with Directv.

Skipping 20 Messages...
Didn't get free center ice, but I was offered a $15 discount each month for next 6 months

I followed the script from above but was offered centerice for 50bucks. I decline and re-enforced how I like my free hockey and then the above deal was offered.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.